2023 NFL Draft thread

22 hours ago, spicoli said:

Wait, are you talking about Dawand Jones or Broderick Jones here? I feel like you might be confusing the two. Otherwise I have no idea wtf you’re talking about honestly. 

22 hours ago, happyrid said:

Is this your opinion or you pulling it from a specific source?

PFF gave Dawand Jones a 78.4 pass blocking grade last season. Skoronski was 93.0. Anton Harrison 83.3. Broderick Jones 84.1.  I'm not going to look up everyone but I don't see a lot of support for him being the best pass protecting tackle in the country.

I really do think Jones has high bust potential and is less of a clean prospect than you are making him out to be. And I say this as someone who would be pretty happy with Jones at 28.

It's from PFF's analysis in his profile. https://www.pff.com/draft/big-board?season=2023

"Jones embodies “first man off the bus” to a tee, as he’s freakishly large at 6-foot-8, 360 pounds with a 7-foot-6 wingspan that broke the Senior Bowl record. At that size with good technique, he swallows opposing defensive linemen. He didn’t allow a single sack or hit this year on 394 pass-blocking snaps, and his 1.3% pressure rate allowed led all FBS tackles. His foot speed is obviously going to be slower at that size, so his recovery against speedier edge defenders in the NFL won’t be great."

56 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Gibbs ahead of Robinson??

Fowlers credibility just took a dump... 

Hmm I coulda swore I read that he said that most scouts still had Robinson as the number one back. Weird. 

1 hour ago, membengal said:

He clarified that it depends on the team - teams that value a Kamara-like back in their offense have Gibbs above Robinson. that is not most teams. 

Oh I was being facetious. I just think it’s hilarious how scared some people are on here that the Bengals would have the audacity to take a 200lb RB with their first pick. Too funny. 

29 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Oh I was being facetious. I just think it’s hilarious how scared some people are on here that the Bengals would have the audacity to take a 200lb RB with their first pick. Too funny. 

Yeah thats hilarious

That some think drafting a RB not named Robinson is a priority..

Too funny..

11 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Yeah thats hilarious

That some think drafting a RB not named Robinson is a priority..

Too funny

You realize they’re gonna pick who they’re gonna pick, right? I wish I had a say in it but unfortunately I do not.

CB, RB, TE, WR, DL…I’m good with all of them. Just don’t reach for an overrated RT and its all good. 

Just listened to Lapham give his final draft thoughts on the Bengals Booth Podcast. Here are my major takeaways from Lapham:

1. Does not sound like the Bengals are in on Dawand Jones at all. Lapham said he thinks he's "400 pounds waiting to happen."

2. He doesn't seem to think OL is an early-round target just in general this year.

3. Seriously downplayed the importance/need at TE. Did not seem to think the Bengals would take a TE in the first round even if Kincaid or Mayer fell to them. Basic reasoning is that it's a WR-Centric offense and there aren't going to be enough targets for a TE to make a huge impact. Plus, he thinks Irv Smith is underrated. 

4. Thinks it should be a defense-heavy draft early. Really emphasized DL and CB as early-round targets. I'm mildly surprised by how gung ho he was about drafting a DE given that we have Hendrickson, Hubbard, Ossai, and Sample all under contract the next 2 years but Paul Dehner has been beating this drum a lot lately too. 

5. His two first-round targets he was gushing over were Lukas Van Ness and Emmanuel Forbes.  

6. Really talked up the idea of trading out of the first round and getting another mid-round pick given that he views there being very little drop off from 28 and great depth at what he views as the need positions (DL, CB, TE).

26 minutes ago, happyrid said:

Just listened to Lapham give his final draft thoughts on the Bengals Booth Podcast. Here are my major takeaways from Lapham:

1. Does not sound like the Bengals are in on Dawand Jones at all. Lapham said he thinks he's "400 pounds waiting to happen."

2. He doesn't seem to think OL is an early-round target just in general this year.

3. Seriously downplayed the importance/need at TE. Did not seem to think the Bengals would take a TE in the first round even if Kincaid or Mayer fell to them. Basic reasoning is that it's a WR-Centric offense and there aren't going to be enough targets for a TE to make a huge impact. Plus, he thinks Irv Smith is underrated. 

4. Thinks it should be a defense-heavy draft early. Really emphasized DL and CB as early-round targets. I'm mildly surprised by how gung ho he was about drafting a DE given that we have Hendrickson, Hubbard, Ossai, and Sample all under contract the next 2 years but Paul Dehner has been beating this drum a lot lately too. 

5. His two first-round targets he was gushing over were Lukas Van Ness and Emmanuel Forbes.  

6. Really talked up the idea of trading out of the first round and getting another mid-round pick given that he views there being very little drop off from 28 and great depth at what he views as the need positions (DL, CB, TE).

Laph is a great source and some excellent insight.

I like Forbes but wonder if he is durable enough for the beating he would/will take in the NFL.

16 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Laph is a great source and some excellent insight.

I like Forbes but wonder if he is durable enough for the beating he would/will take in the NFL.

Forbes has the frame to put on weight, he's already moved up to 170 from 165 as I understand it. He wont be a starter this year unless we lose Cheeto and CTB (remember that we singed Sidney Jones) and I wont be entirely surprised if we sign Apple to a vet minimum contract. He also will have several months to continue to add weight.

49 minutes ago, happyrid said:

Yeah, Lapham says that the Bengals probably wouldn't take Kincaid or Mayer if available. What he is overlooking is that among their 30 visit lists were 4 players expected to be picked in the 1st round. Two of the four were Mayer/Kincaid. The others: Forbes/Murphy.  Lapham talks about how much 11 personal the Bengals used last year, but that was just taking advatage of the strength of the team. Hurst missed 4 plus games with an injury, Sample missed the entire year. If Burrow had more threats at the TE position, there would be more sets that feature them. KC runs way more 12 personal because they have more quality TEs and fewer quality WRs than the Bengals.

Lap hasn't been nearly as clued in on team approach to the draft since ZT and crew arrived. I suspect that his source back when he was basically naming picks ahead of time by a few days was Paul Alexander.

In any event, I take what he says with a grain of salt, at this point. For instance, they might even be using him as a smokescreen - probably not - but...perhaps. DE at 28 sounds like a Hobson wet dream, in any event. 

The Bengals sack numbers were way down last year, so getting a DE wont be a bad investment, but at the same time we have Sample, Ossai, Hubbard, and Hendrickson. I'm not sure where a new DE would play unless they move one of the other guys into 3 tech?

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

The Bengals sack numbers were way down last year, so getting a DE wont be a bad investment, but at the same time we have Sample, Ossai, Hubbard, and Hendrickson. I'm not sure where a new DE would play unless they move one of the other guys into 3 tech?

I'd bet that sack numbers have been down across the league and I'd further bet it's been a trend over the last few seasons.

It's the officiating and it's not by accident.

Our sack numbers were down b/c we don't get much interior pressure.  BJ and DJ more pocket pushers than anything else in the passing game.  It's easy for the QB to step up in the pocket if the interior pressure isn't there...we missed Ogunjobi last year.

41 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I'd bet that sack numbers have been down across the league and I'd further bet it's been a trend over the last few seasons.

It's the officiating and it's not by accident.

Good point.  All those bullshit holding calls and laughable roughing the passer things.

Well, except when Joe was knocked down by a KC lineman and it wasn't called.

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Lap hasn't been nearly as clued in on team approach to the draft since ZT and crew arrived. I suspect that his source back when he was basically naming picks ahead of time by a few days was Paul Alexander.

In any event, I take what he says with a grain of salt, at this point. For instance, they might even be using him as a smokescreen - probably not - but...perhaps. DE at 28 sounds like a Hobson wet dream, in any event. 

This is a good point. He obviously still talks to all the coaches. He's had just about everyone on his podcast the last month or two. But maybe those guys on the new staff are smarter about giving away their plans to him. While it was kind of fun as a fan to know who they wanted, it made it easier for teams to jump in front of us.

Lapham also seemed like he didn't have as good a read on the potential pool of options as maybe in the past. Like I don't think hardly anyone is expecting Van Ness to fall to 28 and he was kind of talking like he thought he had a good chance to be there.

I do buy into some of his takes on positional value though. Think he is still plugged in enough that we have to take the idea of a first round DE much more seriously than most of us (myself included) have been. 

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I dont see any of the before mentioned DEs moving to 3tech..

Maybe Hubbard in a pinch but to have a rotational player with Hill would be an interior pass rush upgrade..

Im thinking Klancy if they go that route.

Id be okay with that.

3 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

I dont see any of the before mentioned DEs moving to 3tech..

Maybe Hubbard in a pinch but to have a rotational player with Hill would be an interior pass rush upgrade..

Im thinking Klancy if they go that route.

Id be okay with that.

I don't either which is why I just can't see us taking a DE

4 hours ago, spicoli said:

You realize they’re gonna pick who they’re gonna pick, right? I wish I had a say in it but unfortunately I do not.

CB, RB, TE, WR, DL…I’m good with all of them. Just don’t reach for an overrated RT and its all good. 

I dont think Jones is underrated in regards to him being the 5th Olineman on the board and the need we have..

Yourr comment about overweight is a factor.

400lbs?..doubt it but Id like to see him at 360 on draft day.

Who knows though..

Interesting..

Archived