Random 2023 Bengals related stuff

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Haven't we discussed the 3rd down back averaging more than the starter on several teams before?

Good point but I don't think he was only in on 3rd downs. A side by side comparison of down & distance would be better but even then field position & other factors play a role.

A couple of takeaways from looking at the offensive snap counts from the recent 2 games:

- While Chase Brown may only get limited scrimmage snaps thus far, he touches the ball when he's on the field. He only got 11 snaps against the Jags yet somehow still got 9 rush attempts. Brown got 18 snaps against the Colts...8 carries plus 3 big receptions. So in 29 combined snaps over the last 2 games, Brown has gotten 20 touches. That's a crazy high percentage.

- TE has become a pure blocking position...unless Tanner Hudson is in the game. Out of 133 combined snaps vs. Jags/Colts, Sample got 82 snaps. Some of them have been in the backfield as a 3rd down back. Wilcox has gotten 36 snaps in the last 2 games. Smith got 23 snaps vs the Jags, but then dropped down to only 8 snaps against the Colts. Hudson only got 26 combined snaps, but if he is on the field then he's heavily involved in the passing game. Against the Colts the TEs got 84 snaps in only 60 snaps...a lot of 2 TE looks with only 2 WRs. Boyd got barely more than half the snaps against the Colts.

Bottom line, if you see either Brown or Hudson in the game, look for the ball to come their way often.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, dex said:

A couple of takeaways from looking at the offensive snap counts from the recent 2 games:

- While Chase Brown may only get limited scrimmage snaps thus far, he touches the ball when he's on the field. He only got 11 snaps against the Jags yet somehow still got 9 rush attempts. Brown got 18 snaps against the Colts...8 carries plus 3 big receptions. So in 29 combined snaps over the last 2 games, Brown has gotten 20 touches. That's a crazy high percentage.

- TE has become a pure blocking position...unless Tanner Hudson is in the game. Out of 133 combined snaps vs. Jags/Colts, Sample got 82 snaps. Some of them have been in the backfield as a 3rd down back. Wilcox has gotten 36 snaps in the last 2 games. Smith got 23 snaps vs the Jags, but then dropped down to only 8 snaps against the Colts. Hudson only got 26 combined snaps, but if he is on the field then he's heavily involved in the passing game. Against the Colts the TEs got 84 snaps in only 60 snaps...a lot of 2 TE looks with only 2 WRs. Boyd got barely more than half the snaps against the Colts.

Bottom line, if you see either Brown or Hudson in the game, look for the ball to come their way often.

Wonder if they would consider using that as a decoy for both guys so they aren't showing tendencies?

6 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Wonder if they would consider using that as a decoy for both guys so they aren't showing tendencies?

I don't know if 2 games is a large enough sample size to draw too many conclusions. Of course if Hudson is in the game he's a real receiving threat, but only one of several. He may be taking the role they originally envisioned for Smith at the start of the season. They clearly don't trust Hudson as a blocker at all. He has gotten 12 snaps in each of the last 2 games. I don't expect his snap counts to increase much.

Brown is a little different since the coaches are still feeling out what he can do and what he might be ready for yet. He got 11 snaps of a possible 73 against the Jags, then that total increased to 18 snaps of a possible 60 against the Colts. The percentage of his snaps almost doubled against the Colts since there were fewer overall to share among the RBs. Will his usage continue to grow? Maybe it will, as long as he remains productive. But Brown is a small back, one reason why he was still available in the 5th round. I certainly don't expect him to ever become the workhorse he was in college.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, dex said:

I don't know if 2 games is a large enough sample size to draw too many conclusions. Of course if Hudson is in the game he's a real receiving threat, but only one of several. He may be taking the role they originally envisioned for Smith at the start of the season. They clearly don't trust Hudson as a blocker at all. He has gotten 12 snaps in each of the last 2 games. I don't expect his snap counts to increase much.

Brown is a little different since the coaches are still feeling out what he can do and what he might be ready for yet. He got 11 snaps of a possible 73 against the Jags, then that total increased to 18 snaps of a possible 60 against the Colts. The percentage of his snaps almost doubled against the Colts since there were fewer overall to share among the RBs. Will his usage continue to grow? Maybe it will, as long as he remains productive. But Brown is a small back, one reason why he was still available in the 5th round. I certainly don't expect him to ever become the workhorse he was in college.

If Brown can take on the Gio Benard role, then I think we got a steal.

• Upvote 2

I think brown seems more like a 3rd down back and hopefully could develop some Bernard type route running. Use him as decoy too. His speed makes defense play certain way. Don’t run him up middle all time, where  he will get hurt. The mixon at fullback with both in game would be amazing. Hopefully he can take extra workload. 

• Upvote 1

There is a scenario in which we get 10-7 with the only loss being against the Chiefs, and still don't make it in. Here is that scenario. This is the one that has me worried. (Win out and we have 100% chance to get in.) The tiebreakers really hurt us.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

The final result of that is.....

image.png

7 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

There is a scenario in which we get 10-7 with the only loss being against the Chiefs, and still don't make it in. Here is that scenario. This is the one that has me worried. (Win out and we have 100% chance to get in.) The tiebreakers really hurt us.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Well that sucks ass... 

9 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Okay, then….11-6, here we come. 😎

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Which game(s) are the killer in this scenario?  

Just remarkable that the AFC has 11 of their 16 teams with winning records so late in the year. By contrast the NFC has only 5 teams with winning records. The Bengals and a few other AFC teams could absolutely cruise into the playoffs if they were in the other conference.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Which game(s) are the killer in this scenario?  

There are in fact many scenarios where we lose only to the chiefs and still don't make it. If you use the playoff machine and choose winning percentage for future games, then convert a few of the ties to likely outcomes, we don't get in. In other words, the most likely outcomes (team with better record) has the Bengals missing the playoffs. 

Put me in the camp that wants to win them all and remove the doubt. 

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, dex said:

Just remarkable that the AFC has 11 of their 16 teams with winning records so late in the year. By contrast the NFC has only 5 teams with winning records. The Bengals and a few other AFC teams could absolutely cruise into the playoffs if they were in the other conference.

The other interesting stat is that the AFC North in particular is the only division, AFC or NFC, where every single team has a winning record.  No other division is even close to that feat.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, alleycat said:

There are in fact many scenarios where we lose only to the chiefs and still don't make it. If you use the playoff machine and choose winning percentage for future games, then convert a few of the ties to likely outcomes, we don't get in. In other words, the most likely outcomes (team with better record) has the Bengals missing the playoffs. 

Put me in the camp that wants to win them all and remove the doubt. 

Yes..

They can definitely win out..

• Upvote 1