Bengals Training Camp and Pre-season Thread -News and Obs - 2023

4 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

... Tee shouldn't take part in any live contact until he has a new deal

He and his agent haven’t accepted the deal in place, kinda like Jesse Bates situation.

My prediction is that he gets tagged next year, plays it out and then moves on, just as Bates did. 

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

He may still make it just because of versatility and lack of options.  He can be kinda shit at both guard & tackle vs total shit at only one..

Im thinking

Zeus.Volson-Karras-Cappa-Williams

Carman.Scharping-Hill-Smith-

Ford could fill in until Collins back..

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Im thinking

Zeus.Volson-Karras-Cappa-Williams

Carman.Scharping-Hill-Smith-

Ford could fill in until Collins back..

…I’m hoping the rookie from Washington (?) has what it takes to replace one of these backups.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

They’ve had a bunch of missteps drafting OL dating back to the Marvin era.  Volson looks promising, but less so for Jonah, Adeninji, Hill, or Carman.  D’ante Smith was a 4th round pick three years ago and we still have no idea if he can play.  I think it’s becoming more difficult to evaluate OL with the rise of the spread offense in college football.  It’s hit or miss across the league and banking on any rookie to be an immediate contributor is not a wise move.

It has been downright awful.  Two guys, Williams and Volson, are the only guys who even play in over 12 years of drafting OL.  That's too many to be just luck. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, IKOTA said:

He and his agent haven’t accepted the deal in place, kinda like Jesse Bates situation.

My prediction is that he gets tagged next year, plays it out and then moves on, just as Bates did. 

One huge difference between the Bates/Higgins contract situations is there were many public grumblings in the media about the Bengals offers to Bates. Everyone knew there was a problem with the Bates talks that would likely lead to free agency. In contrast everything is very quiet about the Higgins contract talks, which says to me that both sides are still fully engaged and looking to reach an agreement. Silence is golden in this case.

My prediction is that both Higgins and Burrow will reach an extension agreement before the season opener. The only mystery to me is which one signs first. I'm hoping it is Higgins myself. I absolutely know that a Burrow extension will be reached, no question.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

They’ve had a bunch of missteps drafting OL dating back to the Marvin era.  Volson looks promising, but less so for Jonah, Adeninji, Hill, or Carman.  D’ante Smith was a 4th round pick three years ago and we still have no idea if he can play.  I think it’s becoming more difficult to evaluate OL with the rise of the spread offense in college football.  It’s hit or miss across the league and banking on any rookie to be an immediate contributor is not a wise move.

I still don't think we talk enough about how over the course of last season the OL scheme gradually went from the outside to downhill gap. For this new season it has been shotgun - downhill gap from the very start, even without Burrow out there. So I'm not sure you can project what various offensive linemen have done in the past to what they might do this season in a very different scheme. Outside zone is more finesse (light feet) than the pure power of the downhill gap style.

I feel like some backup lineman will be hampered by the new scheme if it doesn't fit their particular skill set, but for others it could be a godsend. One OL that may benefit the most is D'Ante Smith, who got rave reviews from some beat writers for his performance yesterday. He absolutely pancaked some Packers yesterday. Here is Paul Dehner on D'ante Smith's performance:

D’Ante Smith

A forgotten man in the backup tackle conversation, Smith enjoyed a remarkable run through pass protection one-on-one drills. He put four Packers on the ground during a string of reps where he looked as good as any player in a helmet.

Smith quietly has enjoyed a solid camp and he needs to in hopes the third-year project pick can stay on the roster. He’s far from perfect, but compared to some of the notably rough reps put up by fellow 2021 draft pick Jackson Carman competing at tackle, it was a good day for his spot in the pecking order.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

The best I think the team could hope for without Burrow would be .500 ... Which might be possible depending on the opponents.

For instance, I think they can likely win week 1 without Burrow (Clowns) but am much less confident for week 2 against the Ravens. 

I wouldn't count on a win without Sheisty. They took us apart last visit up there.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dex said:

I still don't think we talk enough about how over the course of last season the OL scheme gradually went from the outside to downhill gap. For this new season it has been shotgun - downhill gap from the very start, even without Burrow out there. So I'm not sure you can project what various offensive linemen have done in the past to what they might do this season in a very different scheme. Outside zone is more finesse (light feet) than the pure power of the downhill gap style.

I feel like some backup lineman will be hampered by the new scheme if it doesn't fit their particular skill set, but for others it could be a godsend. One OL that may benefit the most is D'Ante Smith, who got rave reviews from some beat writers for his performance yesterday. He absolutely pancaked some Packers yesterday. Here is Paul Dehner on D'ante Smith's performance:

D’Ante Smith

A forgotten man in the backup tackle conversation, Smith enjoyed a remarkable run through pass protection one-on-one drills. He put four Packers on the ground during a string of reps where he looked as good as any player in a helmet.

Smith quietly has enjoyed a solid camp and he needs to in hopes the third-year project pick can stay on the roster. He’s far from perfect, but compared to some of the notably rough reps put up by fellow 2021 draft pick Jackson Carman competing at tackle, it was a good day for his spot in the pecking order.

If the Patriots actually made the offer this guy proposes for Jonah, would you take it? He suggests the Pats trade their 3rd and 5th next year plus the 3rd the year after for Jonah and the Bengals 6th. I'd have done that in a heartbeat before this year's draft. Would still do it if Collins is close to returning. Two thirds plus 12 mil of cap space is nice. But having a hole at RT isn't. Too bad Carman hasn't impressed thus far. 

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2023/08/09/should-patriots-trade-former-first-round-pick-fix-ot-struggles/

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

If the Patriots actually made the offer this guy proposes for Jonah, would you take it? He suggests the Pats trade their 3rd and 5th next year plus the 3rd the year after for Jonah and the Bengals 6th. I'd have done that in a heartbeat before this year's draft. Would still do it if Collins is close to returning. Two thirds plus 12 mil of cap space is nice. But having a hole at RT isn't. Too bad Carman hasn't impressed thus far. 

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2023/08/09/should-patriots-trade-former-first-round-pick-fix-ot-struggles/

I'd only consider it if Carman was showing up. Otherwise no, Collins may be a good RT but at this point with his back stuff I only am ok with him being a starter if needed, not an every game starter. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I wouldn't count on a win without Sheisty. They took us apart last visit up there.

Wonder if Jake Browning will get the start. The guy is from Sacramento (Folsom) and I have watched him since he was a freshman at Folsom High. He's a winner in every aspect at High School level, and was a winner in college too. I would LOVE to see him start if Burrow is out. Hopefully coaches see the same thing as I do. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Gary said:

Wonder if Jake Browning will get the start [...] He's a winner in every aspect at High School level 

Statistically, I think he's the leading passer in US High School history (16,775 yards, 229 tds), with an insane 91 TDs his senior year. So he's definitely not a scrub.

Now, he's not Burrow of course (nobody is), but with this team he likely just needs to be average to get the W week 1. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I'd only consider it if Carman was showing up. Otherwise no, Collins may be a good RT but at this point with his back stuff I only am ok with him being a starter if needed, not an every game starter. 

Collins noted that his back was in great shape while rehabbing his knee. The biggest concern with Collins going forward may just be the knee.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dex said:

Collins noted that his back was in great shape while rehabbing his knee. The biggest concern with Collins going forward may just be the knee.

30yr old former star that's breaking down..

The ability is there..

The body might not be to start .

Great backup if they're willibg to keep him at 10mil.

Doubt it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

30yr old former star that's breaking down..

The ability is there..

The body might not be to start .

Great backup if they're willibg to keep him at 10mil.

Doubt it.

The key thing to remember about Collins is he would be basically a club option next year when Williams is likely gone via free agency. Who would be the right tackle next year without either Williams or Collins? I'm sure the coaches are monitoring D'ante Smith and Carman in hopes that one will show as backups this year that they would be ready to be starters next season, but if not Collins might be the best answer. They surely wouldn't want to start a rookie at such a key position.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

He’s been on the practice squad every year he’s been here yet here he still sits lol

Not only that, but this year only one cut - everyone boots players all at once after preseason game 3 and it is gonna be easier to avoid claims I suspect.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, dex said:

The key thing to remember about Collins is he would be basically a club option next year when Williams is likely gone via free agency. Who would be the right tackle next year without either Williams or Collins? I'm sure the coaches are monitoring D'ante Smith and Carman in hopes that one will show as backups this year that they would be ready to be starters next season, but if not Collins might be the best answer. They surely wouldn't want to start a rookie at such a key position.

Good point..