Myles Murphy’s slow start with Bengals not concerning…yet

Chris Roling
Tue, Aug 15, 2023, 10:15 PM CDT·1 min read

It’s becoming a poorly-kept secret that Cincinnati Bengals first-round pick Myles Murphy is off to a slow start as a rookie.

Murphy has been a quiet presence during training camp so far, then went out and recorded just two tackles and a quarterback hit in his preseason NFL debut.

Normally a slow start wouldn’t be a big ordeal — a rookie pass-rusher could still get involved in a rotation and keep developing during the regular season.

But it’s not so simple on a stacked Bengals roster. As Paul Dehner Jr. of The Athletic noted, the situation with Muprhy continues to be “less than enthusiastic.”

As of now, Murphy isn’t running in the top eight defensive linemen on the Bengals, with Cam Sample the primary rotational guy behind bigger names like Sam Hubbard, Trey Hendrickson and Joseph Ossai.

That would likely mean Murphy doesn’t get on the active roster for a game, or if he is active, he won’t get on the field to get in the rotation.

This isn’t the end of the world for Murphy. He didn’t join a bad team that needed immediate help — quite the opposite. But he’ll have to prove quickly that should something happen to the guys in front of him, he’ll be ready to make an impact.

https://sports.yahoo.com/myles-murphy-slow-start-bengals-031505806.html?src=rss

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

The pontificators need to slow it down a bit.

During Ja'Marr's first preseason the claim was he couldn't catch (drops). 

A long way to go on Murphy. 

Agreed, but the Bengals were desperate for WR talent at the time.  They were going to let Chase work through his issues no matter what.  Murphy isn’t in that position.  He was drafted as a rotational guy who could take over in a few years.  He may not get much rotational play as it stands.  

Also, Chase was a much, much bigger talent than Murphy.  

• Upvote 1

This is a bit premature don't you think, he's only had one game and few practices. 

Not sure what the expectation is but I don't think he's disappointing anyone. He's playing behind really good/great players in Hubbard and Hendrickson, and quality depth in Ossai and the others. He wasn't overly productive in college, but he has good athleticism and work ethic. 

• Upvote 1

With Hubbard and now Hendrickson now under contract through 2025, Murphy doesn't have much chance to start in his first two years anyway. But both Ossai and Sample are on 4 year contracts that end after next season. That is when Murphy will really be needed. So he has plenty of time to develop some more moves to go with his elite size and athleticism.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, dex said:

With Hubbard and now Hendrickson now under contract through 2025, Murphy doesn't have much chance to start in his first two years anyway. But both Ossai and Sample are on 4 year contracts that end after next season. That is when Murphy will really be needed. So he has plenty of time to develop some more moves to go with his elite size and athleticism.

I really hope we keep Ossai

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cricket said:

At least we can look forward to mesmerizing articles about the successful players that we could have drafted instead.  🥷

Back on draft night, the Raiders, Falcons, and Titans were described as "desperate" to trade up into the end of the first round for Will Levis. We should have held up one of those teams. 

12 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

... He will always be compared most to Raiders TE Michael Mayer. Since most Bengals fans assumed he was the pick. 

The TE the Bengals seem to like the most after Kincaid was Sam LaPorta. On a podcast Zac Taylor made it sound like they didn't want to take LaPorta at #28, but knew he wasn't going to make it to #60. I still think they would take Murphy again though. Big upside at a premium position, high character too. He has time to learn. 

8 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

This is a bit premature don't you think, he's only had one game and few practices. 

Not sure what the expectation is-

That he's going to Change the Game and the NFL Isn't Ready, also he will instantly be the best player at his position since (insert HoF'er).

Just like every other first round pick since the league made the draft into a TV miniseries. 

Fact is without clickbait or scandal most of the sports "journalists" are a blank page.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Not sure what the expectation is but I don't think he's disappointing anyone. He's playing behind really good/great players in Hubbard and Hendrickson, and quality depth in Ossai and the others. He wasn't overly productive in college, but he has good athleticism and work ethic. 

That's the only thing that worries me,  I'd prefer production over potential (I still think he will work out  tho).

And on a side note, when you re drafting as late in the round as we were do you expect an instant starter?

Reporters have to report something.  They've been very positive about Turner, Battle and Iosivas.  So the first round pick hasn't wowed anyone yet.  Okay.

Yeah, it's premature to conclude anything, but that doesn't mean the guy is wrong.  It's no more crazy to say that Murphy has been disappointing than to say Battle will be starting later in the season.  All speculation.  Can't get butthurt about what these guys say.  It's their job.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Murphy has logged 

13 snaps in week 1

10 snaps in week 2

Has he recorded even a tackle yet?

Can we log this as a concern yet?

If he was getting more than a handful of snaps a game then yes, but right now he's the least of my concerns with this team. The backup rookie DE isn't going to save this season, the captains of this team have to elevate their play and the coaches have to put them in positions to be successful. 

The character of this team is being tested and we will see how they respond. 

16 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

If he was getting more than a handful of snaps a game then yes, but right now he's the least of my concerns with this team. The backup rookie DE isn't going to save this season, the captains of this team have to elevate their play and the coaches have to put them in positions to be successful. 

The character of this team is being tested and we will see how they respond. 

Not expecting him to save the season, I just want to see him make contributions. 

2 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Not expecting him to save the season, I just want to see him make contributions. 

He needs more than 11 snaps on average to make an impact, expecting him to contribute in any meaningful way with only a handful of snaps is not a realistic expectation. Murphy wasn't overly productive in college when he started against college kids who are not in the NFL, to expect him to blow doors in the NFL with 11 snaps is setting yourself up for disappointment. 

He seems like a Sam Hubbard type of player, decent in every aspect of the game but not overly proficient in any one area. Besides the Bengals seem to want to ease these rookies recently, Dax Hill barely played early in his career with the Bengals and now he's flying all over the field making plays. 

23 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

He needs more than 11 snaps on average to make an impact, expecting him to contribute in any meaningful way with only a handful of snaps is not a realistic expectation. Murphy wasn't overly productive in college when he started against college kids who are not in the NFL, to expect him to blow doors in the NFL with 11 snaps is setting yourself up for disappointment. 

He seems like a Sam Hubbard type of player, decent in every aspect of the game but not overly proficient in any one area. Besides the Bengals seem to want to ease these rookies recently, Dax Hill barely played early in his career with the Bengals and now he's flying all over the field making plays. 

The comp for him on nfl.com was Antwan Odum (hopefully more Odum with Tenn vs the Bengals) but yes I think he reminds me of Hubbard as well.

4 minutes ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

I still think we should have drafted a te I don't know why Taylor and Callahan think a good te is not required 

I wanted the kid from Notre Dame but I get why taking a pass rusher was more important. We play 3 Wide with 1 TE, it's about how many balls go around, where as we were towards the bottom in pass rush last year. Though imo it had more to do with the loss of Ogunjob vs needing another DE. 

• Upvote 1