OFFENSE

QB (2): Joe Burrow, Jake Browning..Move over Lachey Bros, The JB's are the new Boy Band from Queen City that's coming for your girl's heart!

RB (4): Joe Mixon, Chris Evans, Chase Brown,Traevyon Williams

TE (3): Irv Smith Jr., Drew Sample, Tanner Hudson - I've seen some projections that have Wilcox making it but I just don't see it. Hudson has performed well in the games when given opportunities and looks like a nice developmental player. 

WR (7): Ja'Marr Chase, Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd, Trenton Irwin, Andre Iosvias, Stanley Morgan Jr., Charlie Jones - Jones replaces Taylor as the return guy and Morgan makes it because he's a core special teams player. 

OL (10): Orlando Brown Jr., Cordell Volson, Ted Karras, Alex Cappa, Jonah Williams, Carman Jackson, D'Ante Smith, Cody Ford, Max Scherping, Trey Hill - I think the Bengals stash Collins in the PUP and go heavy on the line because they have invested considerable resources into the offensive line. 

DEFENSE

DL (9): Trey Hendrickson, DJ Reader, BJ Hill, Sam Hubbard, Joseph Ossai, Cam Sample, Myles Murphy, Zach Carter, Josh Tupou - 

LB (5): Logan Wilson, Germaine Pratt, Markus Bailey, Akeem Gaither-Davis, and Joe Bachie

CB (5): Chido, CTB, Mike Hilton, DJ Turner, DJ Ivey - 

S (5): Dax Hill, Nick Scott, Tycen Anderson, Jordan Battle, Mike Thomas - Thomas's special teams and mentoring will give him the nod over a CB like Jalen Davis who can be signeed to the PS. 

Special Teams

K: Money Mc

P: Brad Robbins

LS: Cal Adomitis

And so it is written, so shall it be...

• Upvote 1

- DL is the deepest position on the team. I don't see how you can only 9 in light of that, especially since it is the most rotational position on the team.

- DB is the 2nd deepest position on the team. Bengals seem to think Jalen Davis could start at slot CB for a lot of teams. I think he's safe. I expect at least 26 players on the 53 man roster on opening day.

• Upvote 1

Agree for the most part. 

At OL, I still think Adeniji makes it... whether that's instead of Carman or Smith, or Ford, not sure. Or maybe Hill gets cut. Personally, I would get rid of Carman... granted, he had some good games at LT, but can he play any other position? Backups need to do that. If something happened to Brown at LT, you can slide Jonah over and Adeniji could play RT, or maybe La'El, once he gets off of PUP.  

TE - I think Wilcox makes it... he's a guy they know well, he's healthy now. Two years younger. Solid ST player and I think he was ascending as a player last year. I like Hudson, but I suspect Hudson wouldn't get claimed. Bengals grabbed him off the wire late last year after the Giants cut him. 

DE - I think they keep 10. Not sure if that means Davis, or Johnson, or Gunter. Thinking maybe Davis. The other two, I'd bring back on the PS if I could.

DB - I think Jalen Davis is a lock. Mike Thomas, love what he brings, but I could def see him getting cut and brought back on the PS. He's a 30-something safety and I don't think teams will want that. I'd give him an opportunity to come back on the PS, or even be a coaching assistant of some kind. He's got a lot to offer. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

OFFENSE

QB (2): Joe Burrow, Jake Browning..Move over Lachey Bros, The JB's are the new Boy Band from Queen City that's coming for your girl's heart!

RB (4): Joe Mixon, Chris Evans, Chase Brown,Traevyon Williams

TE (3): Irv Smith Jr., Drew Sample, Tanner Hudson - I've seen some projections that have Wilcox making it but I just don't see it. Hudson has performed well in the games when given opportunities and looks like a nice developmental player. 

WR (7): Ja'Marr Chase, Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd, Trenton Irwin, Andre Iosvias, Stanley Morgan Jr., Charlie Jones - Jones replaces Taylor as the return guy and Morgan makes it because he's a core special teams player. 

OL (10): Orlando Brown Jr., Cordell Volson, Ted Karras, Jonah Williams, Carman Jackson, D'Ante Smith, Cody Ford, Max Scherping, Trey Hill, La'El Collins - I think the Bengals stash Collins in the PUP and go heavy on the line because they have invested considerable resources into the offensive line. 

DEFENSE

DL (9): Trey Hendrickson, DJ Reader, BJ Hill, Sam Hubbard, Joseph Ossai, Cam Sample, Myles Murphy, Zach Carter, Josh Tupou - 

LB (5): Logan Wilson, Germaine Pratt, Markus Bailey, Akeem Gaither-Davis, and Joe Bachie

CB (5): Chido, CTB, Mike Hilton, DJ Turner, DJ Ivey - 

S (5): Dax Hill, Nick Scott, Tycen Anderson, Jordan Battle, Mike Thomas - Thomas's special teams and mentoring will give him the nod over a CB like Jalen Davis who can be signeed to the PS. 

Special Teams

K: Money Mc

P: Brad Robbins

LS: Cal Adomitis

I dont have the attention span to do it all in one shot like this, i started some thread for top positions to get peoples thoughts as well.

I think jake is on the PS and trevor gets the nod as the #2, id love to be wrong, i hate TS, and prefer your logic here, but the vet with starting experience almost always gets the nod and not likely a ton of risk having JB on the squad for emergencies..

I actually agree on the OLINE thought here def collins on the PUP and keep grooming what they have in the young guys.

19 hours ago, GoBengals said:

I dont have the attention span to do it all in one shot like this, i started some thread for top positions to get peoples thoughts as well.

I think jake is on the PS and trevor gets the nod as the #2, id love to be wrong, i hate TS, and prefer your logic here, but the vet with starting experience almost always gets the nod and not likely a ton of risk having JB on the squad for emergencies..

I actually agree on the OLINE thought here def collins on the PUP and keep grooming what they have in the young guys.

I for one would love to see another QB brought in, I know that will not happen but it should happen. 

Bigger picture I think the Bengals have a problem developing QB talent under Taylor. Outside of Burrow, who arguably had the best season for a college QB ever and didn't need much development, the Zac Taylor lead Bengals can't seem to develop a QB worth a damn. 

First was the Ryan Finley debacle in which the Bengals traded up to get Finley, what a mistake. Finley lasted 2 years because of Taylor's ego and no other team gave him a shot in TC. The Texans picked him up but he couldn't even make it out of offseason conditioning..

After that, it's been Burrow and Brandon Allen, and I never understood why they never tried to upgrade from Allen. Allen left via FA and is behind Trey Lance on the depth chart in the 4th string, he will probably be on the PS. 

Now we have these two stiffs in Siemian and Browning...both of whom are underwhelming, to say the least. Taylor was a QB coach and played QB, so it's disappointing to see the level of play of every QB that has been here not named Joe Burrow since Taylor became the HC. I would like to see the HC and his staff identify and develop QB better.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

- I like that you kept Morgan and Thomas ... I think both guys are key to the special teams - essentially starters in the 3rd phase of the game that can make or break you come playoff time. 

- Where I disagree is I would keep Gunter, put Charlie on IR and have him get surgery, and go with Sinnett or bring back Brandon Allen at QB2. Plus I would swap Bachie for Heyward. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, texbengal said:

Agree for the most part. 

At OL, I still think Adeniji makes it... whether that's instead of Carman or Smith, or Ford, not sure. Or maybe Hill gets cut. Personally, I would get rid of Carman... granted, he had some good games at LT, but can he play any other position? Backups need to do that. If something happened to Brown at LT, you can slide Jonah over and Adeniji could play RT, or maybe La'El, once he gets off of PUP.  

TE - I think Wilcox makes it... he's a guy they know well, he's healthy now. Two years younger. Solid ST player and I think he was ascending as a player last year. I like Hudson, but I suspect Hudson wouldn't get claimed. Bengals grabbed him off the wire late last year after the Giants cut him. 

DE - I think they keep 10. Not sure if that means Davis, or Johnson, or Gunter. Thinking maybe Davis. The other two, I'd bring back on the PS if I could.

DB - I think Jalen Davis is a lock. Mike Thomas, love what he brings, but I could def see him getting cut and brought back on the PS. He's a 30-something safety and I don't think teams will want that. I'd give him an opportunity to come back on the PS, or even be a coaching assistant of some kind. He's got a lot to offer. 

Your assesment to spot on..

Hopefully the Bengals are spot on..

17 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

- I like that you kept Morgan and Thomas ... I think both guys are key to the special teams - essentially starters in the 3rd phase of the game that can make or break you come playoff time. 

Absolutely, this is so underrated by most casual fans and lazy "media" members. The barriers to entry into the sports media are low nowadays anyone can start a podcast or publish an article online, so that's why I say "media" because it's not like it used to be. 

Every NFL team makes 48 players active on game day and of those 48 more than half a special teamers. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I believe one of Morgan and Thomas make it, but not both. Thomas is the oldest player on the team by at least a couple of years and may make it to the practice squad. Probably Morgan would get picked up by another team so maybe he makes it onto the 53 man roster. Special teams are still important, but slightly less so with the way kickoff returns is being phased out of the NFL.                                                                                                                                                                                      

3 minutes ago, dex said:

I believe one of Morgan and Thomas make it, but not both. Thomas is the oldest player on the team by at least a couple of years and may make it to the practice squad. Probably Morgan would get picked up by another team so maybe he makes it onto the 53 man roster. Special teams are still important, but slightly less so with the way kickoff returns is being phased out of the NFL.                                                                                                                                                                                      

Right, but punt protectors and gunners are still in high demand that's a job that both guys do very well. Every year Simmons has his core group of guys that make the roster despite not bringing much else besides special teams value. 

Both guys are special teams captains that have proven their worth to this franchise, many times over. Besides, if there thinking about cutting one of them I think they would give them an extended opportunity to put some good plays on film so they can show the other teams what they can do. 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2023 at 8:44 AM, PatternMaster said:

OL (10): Orlando Brown Jr., Cordell Volson, Ted Karras, Jonah Williams, Carman Jackson, D'Ante Smith, Cody Ford, Max Scherping, Trey Hill, La'El Collins - I think the Bengals stash Collins in the PUP and go heavy on the line because they have invested considerable resources into the offensive line. 

Alex Cappa?

My guess is Simmons is grooming Jordan Battle, Tycen Anderson, and Andrei Iosivas as the replacements for Morgan and Thomas. The problem is that week 1 we play the clowns whose ST coach Bubba Ventrone is one of the best. But if we keep a vested vet like Morgan or Thomas on the 53, they will be guaranteed their full year's pay. 

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

My guess is Simmons is grooming Jordan Battle, Tycen Anderson, and Andrei Iosivas as the replacements for Morgan and Thomas. The problem is that week 1 we play the clowns whose ST coach Bubba Ventrone is one of the best. But if we keep a vested vet like Morgan or Thomas on the 53, they will be guaranteed their full year's pay. 

so? pay them the full year  :-) 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

My be is Morgan stays and Thomas goes.  No way both go. 

It is stunning (and a little scary) how much younger this year's opening day roster figures to be compared to last year. Team will save money at almost all of these roster spots with mostly rookies, but will also lose a ton of experience. Here is a comparison of some of last year's veterans (their years in the league will be in parentheses) and this year's roster replacements:

Allen(3) - Browning

Perine(5) - CBrown

TTaylor(5) - CJones

Thomas(6) - Iosivas

Apple(6) - DJTurner

Flowers(4) - Ivey

Bell(8) - NScott

Bates((5) - DHill

MThomas(9) - TAnderson

Huber(13) - Robbins

Harris(14) - Adomitis

• Upvote 1

Here is mine

QB Burrow 25 Browning 25       2
RB Mixon 25 Williams 24 Brown 27 Evans 25   4
WR Chase 26 Iosivas 27 Morgan 24     3
WR Higgins 24 Irwin 24       2
WR Boyd 24 Jones 27       2
TE Smith 24 Sample 24 Hudson 25     3
LT Brown 27 Smith 25       2
LG Volson 26 Carman 25       2
C Karras 25 Scharping 24       2
RG Cappa 26 Adeniji 24       2
RT Williams 24         1
K McPherson 25         1
P Robbins 27         1
LS Adomitis 24         1

LE Hubbard 26 Murphy 27 Sample 25     3
LT Reader 24 Tupou 24       2
RT Hill 25 Carter 26       2
RE Hendrickson 26 Ossai 25 Johnson 25     3
WLB Pratt 26 Davis-Gaither 24 Bachie 24     3
MLB Wilson 28 Bailey 24       2
SLB            
S Hill 27 Battle 27       2
S Scott 26 Anderson 27       2
CB Awuzie 24 Ivey 27       2
CB Taylor-Britt 26 Turner 27       2
NB Hilton 25 Davis 25       2
          25 53

PS

Saylors 26
Jackson 26
Lassiter 25

Wilcox 24

Brown 24
Hill 25
Kirkland 26

Gunter 26
Davis 25

Heyward 26
Jones 25

Thomas 24

Jones 24

George 24

The Smith injury stopped me from keeping Tufele over Carman

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Hard to find a respectable OL at this point. Can’t rule it out though. Bill Polian on Sirius radio last week said “there are 32 teams in the league that lack OL depth”. 

Did anyone watch D’ante Smith in games? Several writers said he made a lot of progression this year, of course, just hurt his shoulder.

Eagles just cut 3 vets. The player only needs to be better than Trey Hill or Jackson Carman

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

I think upgrades at RB-TE and OL will come. 

RB and TE we will get PS guys. OL we will get another swing C/G and Carman won't be long for the team, either gone in trade or cut

Carman struggles in pass protection, but he's the best drive blocker among the backups. I expect he will be the 6th linemen in short yardage formations.