Idea: Shut down Burrow until after the Bye?

Read the first post before voting  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be ok with trying this idea of shutting down Burrow until after the Bye?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should the Bengals consider holding Burrow out ANY games at all?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. What would the Bengals record be without Burrow for those 4 games?

• 4-0
    • 3-1
    • 2-2
    • 1-3
    • 0-4
  4. 4. If the Bengals sat Burrow, which backup do you prefer?

• Browning
    • Grier

Ok, here is what may be a crazy idea, but I fear it might be the most responsible and prudent course of action, that gives the Bengals the best chance to make a run late in the year. 

The Bengals have a Bye week 7 ... if they essentially shut Burrow down now until after the bye, they would get 6 weeks of rest for him, by him not playing in those 4 games. 

The only dilemma is the Bengals can't overcome 0-6 and still make the playoffs. They also can't overcome 1-5. But I believe they could overcome 2-4 and still make the playoffs with a fully healthy Burrow returning. He would then likely need to go 8-3 upon his return (for 10-7).

So can Browning or Grier at least go 2-2 over the next 4 games? The opponents are Rams, @ Titans, @ Cardinals, Seahawks. I think that's doable, especially with the Cardinals on the list. 

If by some miracle they went 3-1 during that stretch it's even better, and the team would be 3-3 when getting back a healthy Burrow. But really I think 2-2 is the best you can hope for. 

So, would you be ok with trying this, or is it too risky as you could go down 0-6 and then the season is basically mathematically over regardless of Burrow's health afterwards. 

• BlackJesus changed the title to Idea: Shut down Burrow until after the Bye?

It has been dismissed as off the cuff humor, but I think Chase was giving us a wisdom that the coaches unfortunately did not heed, when he suggested that Burrow could sit out until week 5 and they would be alright, as long as he was fully healthy when returning. 

Had Burrow sat the first 2 games then that might have been possible, but now Burrow has re-aggravated the calf and it is only going to continue to be an issue until he fully let's it heal. He is also more vulnerable for a more serious injury as he can't scramble out of pressure as required. 

I feel like this is one of those "pay a little now, or a lot later" scenarios. 

• Upvote 1

I would say Burrow sure as hell isn't going to get any better playing.  If Burrow is hobbling around the complex this week I would give Browning the shot and see how it goes.  They aren't going far with how Burrow is playing.  At the same time it might take two months or more for Burrow to be 100%.  Season could be lost by then.  It's a bad situation.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

I would say Burrow sure as hell isn't going to get any better playing.  If Burrow is hobbling around the complex this week I would give Browning the shot and see how it goes.  They aren't going far with how Burrow is playing.  At the same time it might take two months or more for Burrow to be 100%.  Season could be lost by then.  It's a bad situation.

That's ok his long term health is more important than this year

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

This really showcases how fragile an entire NFL season can be 😩

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Griever said:

This really showcases how fragile an entire NFL season can be 😩

Especially when you don't care about having a decent backup QB, not sure why the Bengals only brought in Trevor Sieman and kept him around when it was obvious he sucked. 

There are more talented guys available but the Bengals went all in on inexperienced or washed-up backup QBs because it's not like having a good QB is needed to win in the NFL. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Depends on how bad the calf is. 

We arent winning games without him. 

Are we willing to shut down the season this early?

May have no other choice. If they had made some moves to get an NFL veteran with actual game-winning experience (Sieman not that player). They didn’t, and thus the over-reliance on untested unknowns such are on the roster  

• Upvote 1

Ja'marr Chase was right, the Bengals should have kept Burrow out until he was completely healed and then rested him another week just to make sure. If Burrow had sat the first two weeks the outcome would have been the same instead of playing him and furthering the injury and now the season is in jeopardy. 

The silver lining is if we get a top 5 pick we can hopefully snag Marvin Harrison Jr in the draft and have Chase and Harrison Jr for years to come. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

May have no other choice. If they had made some moves to get an NFL veteran with actual game-winning experience (Sieman not that player). They didn’t, and thus the over-reliance on untested unknowns such are on the roster  

Which is why I dont think he gets shut down. I think they wrap up his calve and he plays. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

You may be right. Actually—for basically playing on one leg yesterday—he still managed to have a pretty good second half. 

What I am curious about is I have heard that it lingers, but what I have not heard is how long typically does it linger while you are playing on it. Is this going to be an all season thing or will it eventually heal?

• Upvote 1

Of course you rest him until he’s 100%. The offense can’t be called like you would otherwise, other teams undoubtedly know it’s limiting him and play their defense accordingly (that’s why nobody is open).  This offense isn’t anywhere near what it’s intended to be, with the QB hobbling around unable to make 50% of the throws he needs to make. 

This isn’t even a question for medical people, but football people know better apparently, so reap what you sow. 

• Upvote 1

I would pull him out mandatory 3 games and then evaluate for Seattle.  I know there is an opinion that since he started the first 2 games he HAS to play, but F that, those same people will bash the team for not pulling him if his Achilles ruptures after.  I would rather tank 1 year than lose 5-9, some people have no vision and want satisfaction now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

I suppose it’s a good bet. Then again, what guarantee he is going to be King of the North anymore next year than now? 

And, of course, no one would want him to come back in the middle of a lost season—only to risk getting further injured, amirite? 

He is more likely to be King of the North if he never tears the Achilles vs if he does.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Jungletiger said:

I would rather tank 1 year than lose 5-9, some people have no vision and want satisfaction now.

Instant gratification is the newer normal. 

A conundrum with “tanking” a season in the hopes of better future, is that certain present/ near future problems could mushroom: 

There are at least 5 present frontline starters who will be UFA next season. 

The premise of “Super Bowl Team-in-Waiting”, may not be there to either lure new players., or retain present.

Lou A gets a head coaching gig. 

Organizational momentum to achieve greater goals gets muted during and after a long season of defeat. 

I offer that it may be difficult to re-aquire the magic, once lost 

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Instant gratification is the newer normal. 

A conundrum with “tanking” a season in the hopes of better future, is that certain present/ near future problems could mushroom: 

There are at least 5 present frontline starters who will be UFA next season. 

The premise of “Super Bowl Team-in-Waiting”, may not be there to either lure new players., or retain present.

Lou A gets a head coaching gig. 

Organizational momentum to achieve greater goals gets muted during and after a long season of defeat. 

I offer that it may be difficult to re-aquire the magic, once lost 

If Lou was going to get a HC gig, he would have gotten it by now. He’s not getting any more chances IMO. Maybe an interview to kick the tires but he’s not what NFL teams are looking for at HC. 

Your point still stands 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Especially when you don't care about having a decent backup QB, not sure why the Bengals only brought in Trevor Sieman and kept him around when it was obvious he sucked. 

There are more talented guys available but the Bengals went all in on inexperienced or washed-up backup QBs because it's not like having a good QB is needed to win in the NFL. 

Actually I commend the Bengals for going out and getting Grier when they had the chance. If you check out his story there is some fire there. I am curious to see who they will start if Burrow is out. This to me was the big hole after the draft and free agency. Once the strained calf was a problem you realize that a hobbled superstar adds zero value to the football team. The Bengals can win with a serviceable backup - the talent is there. However, the schedule is brutal down the stretch. I suppose sitting Burrow for the next three might be the best scenario if he can't play and hope for the best. This ain't the playoffs like when Mahomes was limping his way to history. There is no way he is going to be available for the tough games this year if he toughs it out. I can't see any scenario where Joe is out there playing against SF if he is not at 100%. They will f'ing maul him.    

My personal jury is still out and am "wait and see" but it perhaps explains all the horizontal passes and not going downfield if he can't plant his leg to throw.

He's definitely off.

Ja'Marr is right about throwing downfield to open the underneath stuff but apparently Joe can't throw downfield or at least accurately.

Maybe Joe can get the name of a good masseuse from Watson and rub in the witch hazel horse liniment and be ready to go Monday.

• Upvote 1