The Way Too Early 2024 Draft Thread

5 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I agree with the lack of OL depth (and quality of the starters) but note that you need more depth at DL becuse those players rotate in/out each game whereas the starting OL plays the entire game barring injury.

Yeah that's true but I'm wondering why since they're basically doing the same job if not harder and just as likely to suffer injuries from fatigue. 

Never mind depth, they don't even have 5 quality starters. It's been like that for years and their attempts to fix it have been either half-assed or complete failures. Not drafting anyone last year despite all this and knowing the RT was on the way out as well defies explanation. Its like they've thrown up their hands in resignation but somehow ownership is ok with it.

I get that the current crop of OL leave much to be desired but doesn't that further recommend drafting them early so they have time to coach them up? If they can't identify talent and can't develop it why the hell are those people still sitting in those chairs?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah that's true but I'm wondering why since they're basically doing the same job if not harder and just as likely to suffer injuries from fatigue. 

Never mind depth, they don't even have 5 quality starters. It's been like that for years and their attempts to fix it have been either half-assed or complete failures. Not drafting anyone last year despite all this and knowing the RT was on the way out as well defies explanation. Its like they've thrown up their hands in resignation but somehow ownership is ok with it.

I get that the current crop of OL leave much to be desired but doesn't that further recommend drafting them early so they have time to coach them up? If they can't identify talent and can't develop it why the hell are those people still sitting in those chairs?

I try and reason it out..

But...I can't...

Frustrated beyond belief.

Hopefully it changes ...😔

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

List of o-linemen drafted by the Bengals in the "premium" rounds since Zac took over:

Jonah Williams

Jackson Carman

:suicide:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gupps said:

List of o-linemen drafted by the Bengals in the "premium" rounds since Zac took over:

Jonah Williams

Jackson Carman

:suicide:

Plus signed Zeus Brown, Alex Cappa and Ted Karras. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

And those were good signings 

Maybe the plan is to dip into FA for the next RT as well & keep drafting for depth in the later rounds.

Seems to me that would leave them constantly scrambling for bodies as contracts expire but they didn't even bother to try drafting OL last year so IDK..

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, spicoli said:

Plus signed Zeus Brown, Alex Cappa and Ted Karras. 

10 hours ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

Agree on both points but as I've said before, you have to hit some some draft picks to free up the money for other places.

• Upvote 1

This team's biggest weakness is the inability to draft OL. Given that we have missed even on premium picks, maybe the team is gun-shy to try again. I am not sure drfated ones later is any help given that if you cant evaluate them higher up the draft it seems unlikely you can lower down? Just rambling...the whole OL drafting and scheme used is a hot mess...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

This team's biggest weakness is the inability to draft OL. Given that we have missed even on premium picks, maybe the team is gun-shy to try again. I am not sure drfated ones later is any help given that if you cant evaluate them higher up the draft it seems unlikely you can lower down? Just rambling...the whole OL drafting and scheme used is a hot mess...

Mentioned elsewhere we have not drafter O linemen high for a number of years.

Jonah was Jonah... he seemed to do OK but top level D linemen ate him up.  Unfortunately in our division

he say Garret and Watt et al twice a year.

Who knows what Carman's story is?  Heart not in it?

Last one taken high  before that was Ogbuhei and was certainly nothing to write home about.

And I am not as down on Volson as a lot of people.

Rambling, too, and lost my train of thought... what I get for posting from work.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Maybe the plan is to dip into FA for the next RT as well & keep drafting for depth in the later rounds.

Seems to me that would leave them constantly scrambling for bodies as contracts expire but they didn't even bother to try drafting OL last year so IDK..

Another FA Oline signing...

Sooner or later you have to hit

in the draft .

Alot of money on that line that's barely

adequate.

I don't know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Mentioned elsewhere we have not drafter O linemen high for a number of years.

Jonah was Jonah... he seemed to do OK but top level D linemen ate him up.  Unfortunately in our division

he say Garret and Watt et al twice a year.

Who knows what Carman's story is?  Heart not in it?

Last one taken high  before that was Ogbuhei and was certainly nothing to write home about.

And I am not as down on Volson as a lot of people.

Rambling, too, and lost my train of thought... what I get for posting from work.

Well, we added to the bad Uggbuhei pick with our next pick, Jake Fisher. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, claptonrocks said:

Another FA Oline signing...

Sooner or later you have to hit

in the draft .

Alot of money on that line that's barely

adequate.

I don't know.

Exactly, if you can have 1 0r 2 guys starting on the OL on the cheaper first contracts it makes a huge difference. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Hot mess

Perfectly describes the Oline situation.

If they want to improve the RT spot in FA they best take a really good bet and pay him big-time.

These 1 yr deals or so for retreads ain't getting it.

Clusterfuck.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Well, we added to the bad Uggbuhei pick with our next pick, Jake Fisher. 

And yet, Jake was drafted where he was projected. There were many draft reviews, but this one was pre-draft, so perhaps more relevant:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/platform/amp/nfldraft/2015/4/29/8515089/2015-nfl-draft-profile-oregon-offensive-tackle-jake-fisher

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

And yet, Jake was drafted where he was projected. There were many draft reviews, but this one was pre-draft, so perhaps more relevant:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/platform/amp/nfldraft/2015/4/29/8515089/2015-nfl-draft-profile-oregon-offensive-tackle-jake-fisher

But the ketchup...the KETCHUP....that was the key to those two picks.

We all know the draft is a crap shoot to some level, but when we draft OL it is almost always shit hitting the fan instead. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Who adds to our questioning the scouting staff... who was supposed to

check his medical record?  My money is onBoy Toy Troy. 

Wasn't Fisher's heart problem undiagnosed?  Can't blame anyone for that. Now the human turnstile on the other hand...

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

Maybe. OBj was a pro-bowler in 2022. He signed here and allowed the most QB pressures of any O-lineman in the NFL in 2023. One might think the team would be looking for an upgrade from Pollack but he seems to be bulletproof. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

But the ketchup...the KETCHUP....that was the key to those two picks.

We all know the draft is a crap shoot to some level, but when we draft OL it is almost always shit hitting the fan instead. 

I was a Jake Fisher fan. Thought it was a home run pick. Unfortunately I underestimated the effects of what playing in a spread offense does to o-linemen. 

I know I sound like a broken record…but…it’s not just the Bengals that are struggling to draft good OL, the entire league is being affected. 

The advent of the spread in college has completely decimated NFL OL rooms.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

I was a Jake Fisher fan. Thought it was a home run pick. Unfortunately I underestimated the effects of what playing in a spread offense does to o-linemen. 

I know I sound like a broken record…but…it’s not just the Bengals that are struggling to draft good OL, the entire league is being affected. 

The advent of the spread in college has completely decimated NFL OL rooms.

I agree and it is talked about a lot on Sirius NFL channel. I remember after that draft thinking 2 OL that should solidify the OL for multiple years. 

15 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Maybe. OBj was a pro-bowler in 2022. He signed here and allowed the most QB pressures of any O-lineman in the NFL in 2023. One might think the team would be looking for an upgrade from Pollack but he seems to be bulletproof. 

They have Volson to blame it on.  Everything is blamed on Volson.

He's not a malcontent first round draft pick of big buck free agent.

Can't be Pollock.

So it has to be Volson.  Who I do not think is nearly as bad as most on here.

Call it a sophomore slump or whatever, I'm  still very much into giving him another year.

They have Volson to blame it on. 

To me, it seemed like on any of the big runs this year, it was Volson usually leading the charge down field and being the most active with energy.

Him and Karras seem to play with more energy than the others. Now that doesn't always equal skill, but it does show effort. 

• Upvote 1

They have Volson to blame it on.  Everything is blamed on Volson.

He's not a malcontent first round draft pick of big buck free agent.

Can't be Pollock.

So it has to be Volson.  Who I do not think is nearly as bad as most on here.

Call it a sophomore slump or whatever, I'm  still very much into giving him another year.

Same here. I think he struggled early in the year, no doubt... but later this past year, he was playing well. I think he's going to be fine. Much more concerned about RT, and depth inside, especially. They dodged a bullet this past year with all 5 guys playing in every game, but you can't bank on that. Scharping likely gone, Cody Ford isn't good IMO, and he was your first guy off the bench. 

• Upvote 1

Interesting read re: some prospects for this spring's draft. Both guys that Dane Brugler projected to the Bengals are on the list. 

=====

A year ago, we saw NIL help pull a handful of top-100 prospects back to the college ranks for another season. This winter, we’ve seen a few potential top-50 players (namely, at Ohio State) choose to stay in school.

Even so, a slew of talented players with remaining eligibility — including a bunch of potential first-rounders — declared for the 2024 NFL Draft.

ADVERTISEMENT

By now, most of you likely are familiar with the top-rated underclassmen (USC’s Caleb Williams, North Carolina’s Drake Maye, Ohio State’s Marvin Harrison Jr., etc), but here’s a look at a couple of more big names and a bunch of other prospects who may fly under the radar.

Who else would you add to this list?

J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan

The 20-year-old national champion had one of the more interesting draft decisions this year, and ultimately decided to give the NFL a go.

McCarthy certainly could have benefited from more time in college. However, returning to play in an offense (with or without Jim Harbaugh) that runs the ball so much wouldn’t have solved too many of McCarthy’s lack-of-volume issues with layered throws and other inconsistencies.

In a perfect world, the team drafting McCarthy has an established starter or a bridge QB to give McCarthy at least a year. I don’t think he’ll need much more than that, though. Of the QB4 candidates (Bo Nix, Michael Penix Jr., etc.), he’s the youngest and the most athletic. McCarthy led the country in third-and-long conversion rate this year, at a staggering 47.5 percent.

Michael Pratt, QB, Tulane

A three-year starter at Tulane, the 22-year-old Pratt had another year of eligibility and would’ve been one of the hottest transfer-portal names. However, the 6-foot-3, 220-pounder is off to the league and might surprise folks with how high he’s selected.

A big-armed thrower who loves to push the ball vertically, Pratt missed two games this year with a knee injury and still has things to work on (accuracy, pocket presence, responding to pressure), but his natural arm talent has had him on pro radars for a while. More than 22 percent of Pratt’s completions this year went 20 yards or more, and he finished the last two years with 64 TDs to 10 picks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Jonathon Brooks, RB, Texas

Brooks was in the conversation for RB1 — and might have been leading it — when he tore his ACL in November. The 6-0, 207-pounder is an incredibly balanced athlete who runs with a lot of controlled burst.

With the ability to wiggle his shoulders and leave people on the ground in space, Brooks forced 63 missed tackles and averaged nearly 4 yards per carry after contact. How he responds to the injury is a concern, but Brooks has just 238 college carries on his body. He’s also a very good receiver. He’ll be at the Shrine Bowl, despite the injury (as will Florida State QB Jordan Travis, which is awesome — kudos to Eric Galko and the Shrine Bowl staff).

Jaylen Wright, RB, Tennessee

Arguably the best home run hitter in college football this season, Wright produced 10 yards or more on 25.5 percent of his carries — best in the SEC and No. 2 nationally. Additionally, the 5-11, 210-pound bowling ball with wheels rushed for at least 5 yards on more than 47 percent of his attempts.

Wright is a solid gap and zone runner with great short-area quicks and the ability to run away from an entire defense. He supposedly ran a sub-4.3 40-yard dash in high school, so every TV monitor at the combine will have a crowd around it when Wright runs.

Ladd McConkey, WR, Georgia

The two-time national champion had a fifth year of eligibility available to him, but he didn’t need it after an insanely consistent (and underrated) past three seasons. One of the most important players in Todd Monken’s and then Mike Bobo’s offense, McConkey (3.26 yards per route run last year) is a sudden and precise route runner with legit speed.

His short-area quicks and attention to detail with his routes are enough to embarrass unprepared corners, and his understanding of route nuance is at another level for his age. McConkey plays with great balance and agility, and he also might be the most QB-friendly receiver in the draft. A top-50 prospect.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ja’Lynn Polk, WR, Washington

The 21-year-old Polk was one-third of Washington’s amazing WR trio last year. And though he won’t catch Rome Odunze on anyone’s board, his highly productive season likely pushed him into the top 50 (and in front of teammate Jalen McMillan).

Polk finished this season with 12 contested catches, one fewer than Harrison. The versatile 6-2 target is a very sudden route runner capable of playing X or Z, and probably even some slot. He’s a terrific player in the air.

Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia

One of the freakiest athletes in the draft, Mims had an 85-inch wingspan in high school and now plays at 6-7, 340. The 21-year-old, former five-star runs like a tight end, has elite length and brings a punch that will deaden rushers cold.

However, Mims’ only starts in 2022 came in the College Football Playoff, and he was limited to six starts in 2023 by an early-season ankle injury. Technique-wise, he has a long way to go. Traits-wise, he’s a mutant.

Jackson Powers-Johnson, OC, Oregon

A 20-year-old Rimington winner, Powers-Johnson was an incredibly consistent anchor for Oregon’s offense, both in protection and as a run blocker. PFF credited him with just one pressure allowed last season, his lone year as a full-time starter.

Powers-Johnson plays with terrific agility and general movement skills as a heavy-handed center who carries his power on the move. He’s great as a puller and in the screen game, and in general, he’s just ahead of where most centers are at his age. He’s light on experience, but his run with the Ducks was fantastic.

Kingsley Suamataia, OT, BYU

Another freaky prospect, Suamataia (a prep teammate of Puka Nacua’s) is a 6-6, 325-pound tackle who like Mims can resemble a big tight end in space. People at BYU think he has a shot to run in the 4.8s and, per Bruce Feldman’s Freaks List, he’s been clocked at 21.5 mph on the GPS.

ADVERTISEMENT

When his punch lands, it can be devastating. His speed and agility are enough to make him a lethal second-level blocker — when he’s playing with balance, which doesn’t always happen. There’s room to go, but he’s beyond intriguing.

Maason Smith, DT, LSU

Smith (6-6, 315) is a massive athlete with tremendous feet, speed and burst for his size. He topped out at 19.2 mph on the GPS at LSU and should put up some eye-catching jump numbers at the combine.

There are differences, however, between Smith the athlete and Smith the prospect. At times, his height works against him and he winds up way too high, giving away all his power. His hands are erratic, too, which can cause him to lose his length advantage. He had an ACL injury in early 2022. It will be interesting to see how teams weigh risk versus reward here.

Byron Murphy II, DT, Texas

A three-year starter and 2021 Big 12 Defensive Freshman of the Year, Murphy is a compact 308-pound pocket pusher who plays with a ton of burst and explosive, fast hands. As an inside pass rusher this season, Murphy had an outstanding 19.6-percent win rate (46 pressures and six sacks). Nearly impossible to knock over, Murphy has a combination of balance and explosion that can make him a problem in just about any alignment.

If he becomes more consistent with his hands, Murphy has the potential to be a real force at the next level. He’s easily a top-50 prospect and possibly a first-rounder. He also caught a touchdown and ran for another on offense for the Longhorns.

Chop Robinson, edge, Penn State

Robinson is built — and runs like — former Penn State standout Micah Parsons. Athletically, they share traits. Robinson (6-3, 255) is expected to run in the 4.4s at the combine, and his jump and bench numbers will be equally impressive.

However, as a player, Robinson has had limited production. He finished the season with 26 pressures and three sacks in 10 games, and his best year in college (2022) featured 48 pressures and five sacks. He’s had a 20-percent win rate over the last two years, but his consistency as a player and presence against the run still leave much to be desired. He’ll have quite a range on draft boards.

ADVERTISEMENT

Junior Colson, LB, Michigan

A three-year starter at Michigan, Colson is one of the rare modern stack linebackers who boasts both size (6-3, 247) and enough athleticism to run with backs and tight ends in coverage. Colson was a huge part of Michigan’s stout run defense over the last three seasons, but his versatility allowed coordinator Jesse Minter (and before him, Mike Macdonald) to mix all sorts of different pressures.

There likely aren’t any linebackers who’ll flirt with the first round, but Colson could hear his name in Round 2. It’d be a surprise if he makes it to Saturday, especially after he tests in Indianapolis.

Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo

One of the most active and competitive corners in the FBS, Mitchell broke up 14 passes and forced 17 incompletions as a fourth-year junior. He turned down big money as a potential transfer to stay at Toledo last year, then proved he’s a powerful and explosive athlete (who could run in the 4.3s at the combine).

Mitchell (6-0, 200) posted 37 combined pass breakups over the last two years, and as a sophomore he had four interceptions and two pick sixes in one game against Northern Illinois. His hands could be better, despite what the standout performance suggests, but he’s a first-round prospect.

Cooper DeJean, CB, Iowa

An outstanding athlete in just about every measurable area, DeJean missed the end of the season with a leg injury. When healthy, however, he’s one of the most unique defensive prospects in the draft. DeJean (6-1, 210) is reminiscent of a college Jabrill Peppers — but faster (he might run in the 4.3s) and with better hands (seven picks).

He was a force in run defense, at outside corner and at safety for the Hawkeyes. DeJean allowed fewer than 10 yards per reception and is arguably the draft’s best punt returner.

(Photos of Jonathon Brooks, J.J. McCarthy and Cooper DeJean: William Purnell, David Buono / Icon Sportswire via Getty Images; Matthew Holst / Getty Images)

Brugler already banging the drum on Murphy over Newton for those interested in adding a game wrecking interior defensive lineman. Gun to my head - I think that will be the position they end up picking.