I know this topic has been beaten to death, but watching the Lions and Texans give QBs time in the pocket and WRs time to uncover, makes me wonder what Joe could do with that.  Most of us are happy with the Ja'marr pick over Sewell, but we really need to address RT, LG, C, RG in that order (in my opinion).  OB is ok for what he is and isn’t going anywhere, but everyone else on this line is replaceable.  I think this is our last year of real cap room and I’d hate to see Tee go, but if we could get two OL in free agency heading into the draft I’m really starting to think we have to let Tee go.  The reason we paid our franchise QB is so you don’t have to pay a bunch of WRs.  Give Joe time and he should be able to take average WRs and make them good.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but watching the Lions and Texans give QBs time in the pocket and WRs time to uncover, makes me wonder what Joe could do with that.  Most of us are happy with the Ja'marr pick over Sewell, but we really need to address RT, LG, C, RG in that order (in my opinion).  OB is ok for what he is and isn’t going anywhere, but everyone else on this line is replaceable.  I think this is our last year of real cap room and I’d hate to see Tee go, but if we could get two OL in free agency heading into the draft I’m really starting to think we have to let Tee go.  The reason we paid our franchise QB is so you don’t have to pay a bunch of WRs.  Give Joe time and he should be able to take average WRs and make them good.  

John Madden said

Give me 5 good olinemen and 2 shutdown corners and I'll build a winner

The Stealers may think the Oline and Front 7..

Allways about the effectiveness

up front..

I may build it different but it's a thought.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

John Madden said

Give me 5 good olinemen and 2 shutdown corners and I'll build a winner

The Stealers may think the Oline and Front 7..

Allways about the effectiveness

up front..

I may build it different but it's a thought.

I think we need a rat and maybe a lg cappa  karras and obj are good

55 minutes ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

I think we need a rat and maybe a lg cappa  karras and obj are good

There's no depth behind those guys either. I'd target a RT in FA that's trying to prove something, someone looking for that 1-2 year deal in which to earn a bigger contract. On top of that I'd hope to find backups with more upside than Scharping or Ford.  Even a passable G/T or C/G of their quality would be some help, a utility player that could cover 2 spots.

Then draft 2-3 more OL & let 'em all duke it out in camp.  That still won't guarantee us an improvement over Jonah at RT but it would at least raise the level of competition.

• Upvote 2

what... paying someone 12 mil dollars to play a position he's not played and only giving him 1-2 series in preseason to learn it after coming off a injury that ended his last season? then having a immobile QB playing in the shotgun for the 1st 4 week?     yes Jonah needs to go, but the OL unit as a whole  under performed , to me that speak of either coaching or scheme,   or both .  

28 minutes ago, stryker57 said:

what... paying someone 12 mil dollars to play a position he's not played and only giving him 1-2 series in preseason to learn it after coming off a injury that ended his last season? then having a immobile QB playing in the shotgun for the 1st 4 week?     yes Jonah needs to go, but the OL unit as a whole  under performed , to me that speak of either coaching or scheme,   or both .  

Frank Pollack is definitely an issue. If I’m not mistaken, normally the OL coach is responsible for the running game/scheme as well.  If that’s the case here, even if it isn’t, FP needs to move on and find his life’s work.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

Frank Pollack is definitely an issue. If I’m not mistaken, normally the OL coach is responsible for the running game/scheme as well.  If that’s the case here, even if it isn’t, FP needs to move on and find his life’s work.

The OL never seems to match the offensive identity? Scheme is a big issue though and when we saw the Browns do OK with 3 guys out that speaks volumes. 

• Upvote 1

Zac tried to build a zone blocking team with small lineman and it failed miserably. Now he’s moved to gap but Ted/Cappa/Jonah are all fairly slight and can’t move their man consistently.

They will go after a big guy at right tackle in the draft/FA. I imagine a mid round center well that has a nasty streak to them. 

I’m not surprised they moved on from LC due to the cap, but they found a really nice groove with him in there last year. Basically what we should expect them to target next year.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JC said:

I’m not surprised they moved on from LC due to the cap, but they found a really nice groove with him in there last year. Basically what we should expect them to target next year.

Yeah I imagine if he'd been able to stay on the field they never would've used Jonah's option.

• Upvote 1

uh what?

They moved LC way off the line to protect him and he still would flop from time to time.

Most overrated signing based on hype we've had here in a very long time.  I think Sam Adams may have been the last overhyped guy. 

LC was not good.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

uh what?

They moved LC way off the line to protect him and he still would flop from time to time.

Most overrated signing based on hype we've had here in a very long time.  I think Sam Adams may have been the last overhyped guy. 

LC was not good.

Overrated OT that flops is like a tradition at this point but I think he was meant to be the RT in theory...

Cordy Glenn.. OB Jr..  Bobby fuckin Hart..

Maybe they should sign Whit for a day to retire his # and lift whatever curse their attempt at low-balling him afflicted us with..  He can show Troy his SB ring..

Better yet, make him the OL coach. Actually do both. He couldn't do any worse in the draft.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Pollack seems to have a knack for making players worse.

See OBj's grading progression.

image.png.261419d18657dd7a61ccc6ac57228fb1.png

Here's Cappa:

image.png.14dac6e51b504f97113d25d84970c92b.png

Here's Karras:

image.png.c0bebf9491031d3933c1cde0aaafe8e4.png

I really hope Taylor isnt serious when he says he expects all his coaches back

7 hours ago, Gary said:

I hope we spend our 1st on a nice CB. Heck, our first three should be CB CB S. 

Im assuming you’re being sarcastic??  I’d be ok with on CB, but we definitely need to address both lines more than the secondary.

I"m not wild about Pollack, but Taylor does him few favors when he abandons the run at the first sign of trouble.  The Bengals were at their best this season when the QB took snaps under center and brought the running game and play action back into play.  In the last Squealers game Taylor flat out said they couldn't run against the Squealers.  I think the Squealers were ranked like #21 against the run at the time?  That's loser talk. 

Not sure what they are going to do, but they do need more strength up front.  Being dead last in rushing is bad.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

Those are scary trends. 

Moving to a team that abandons the run at the first sign of trouble and leaves offensive linemen to deal with pass rushers that can lay their ears back and go full on every play will hurt your PFF score.

• Like 1