Random 2024 Bengals related stuff

Was just looking at the 2023 game by game snap counts. There are definitely some surprises for me. Some observations:

- Who had the most snap counts on either side of the ball last year? Dax Hill, believe it or not, who is now being switched to CB...one reason why last season went so wrong.

- Who would guess that Zach Carter got exactly 500 snap counts last season? The invisible DT. Even before Reader was lost for the season, Carter was still getting plenty of snaps. 

- Offensive players who had a dramatic shift in snap counts per game toward the middle-latter of the season: Chase Brown getting more, TWilliams getting less. DSample big increase, ISmith big decrease. 

- Defensive players with a dramatic shift in snap counts in the back half of the season: Murphy with the increase, CSample with the decrease. Battle with a big increase, NScott with the big decrease. Taylor Britt missed quite a few games with an injury. Awuzie (improved health) and Turner with big snap count increases...too much in Turner's case since his STs snaps also increased due to IR injuries to TAnderson/Ivey.

https://www.footballguys.com/stats/snap-counts/teams?team=CIN&year=2023

• Upvote 1

On 6/8/2024 at 10:24 AM, Shebengal said:

Let me know what you find out. I can’t make this gathering. Pickerington is a long drive. I wish it was closer.

Gathering went well. Easy to get to: just off I-70 at the 256 exit.

Nice place. Open…lots

of TV’s….a large

section will be just ours. As I thought, two “Bengal Nations” will be merging. Makes sense. All of the usual suspects were there, but not Tom. I know he has had some medical issues recently, but we expect him back for the season. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Griever said:

“Best Teams of All Time” can be skewed by circumstances and just dumb luck. 

The Bengals don’t get #1 Seed in 1988, if not for a Chip Lohmiller missed FG on the last regular season game. 

(Team was great on offense, so-so on defense) 

1981 was a very balanced team. Short of “great” however. 

Where is 2005? They were dominant. 

Personally, I find the 1986 team as one of the “greats”. Insanely great offense…but always gave up big plays on defense to lose close games. 

10 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Gathering went well. Easy to get to: just off I-70 at the 256 exit.

Nice place. Open…lots

of TV’s….a large

section will be just ours. As I thought, two “Bengal Nations” will be merging. Makes sense. All of the usual suspects were there, but not Tom. I know he has had some medical issues recently, but we expect him back for the season. 

Saw a couple pics of you on Facebook. Looks like it was a good time. I’m going to try to finally get back out on Brownout days.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Griever said:

Interesting read.  A couple excerpts:

IMG_5735.jpeg.af08ecabfe6221c83aff21977e1e3ff4.jpeg

——————————————————
I have always said that I’d rather get a first down at the 14- or 15-yard-line instead of at the 10-yard-line.  I’m sure that a few others of us here have had that same thought. 🤓

IMG_5736.jpeg.ab1ef67824b0eb711b93ce63c63731b9.jpeg

———————————————————

Maybe this explains in part why Pollack keeps his job while [apparently] being unable to develop/improve players. :shrug: 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Griever said:

Virg’s analytics are focused on positioning on field and numbers corresponding to success from those locations. 

BillyBall MLB analytics differ in that it focuses more on the percentage of success a certain player might have in certain circumstances…who has greater upward tick from one player to the next. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Is this based on wins or what? Curious what a list by # of current NFL starters would look like.

That might be what it is gauged by. Otherwise, it would be odd to group Appalachian State and Liberty in with the usual football factories. 

• Upvote 1