So 2 days into FA the Bengals have done the following:

• Signed Geno Stone, a starting Safety who had a very impressive 7 int's last year. This might free up Dax Hill to play CB as he struggled at safety and maybe they could also replace Nick Scott, who was frequently out of position and whiffed on tackles when he was in position.
  • Traded away their starting RB for a 7th pick, despite him being a team-friendly deal...a bit a of a head-scratcher for me..
  • Signed a backup TE who is on his 3rd team in 2 years, at least he can learn how to do the Griddy correctly, or maybe stop doing it for all of our sakes...he dances like Elaine from Seinfeld
  • Signed a backup RB who is a decent pass blocker but average in every other phase of the game, for perspective Joe Mixon has accomplished more in 2 seasons(2021-22) than this guy has done in his whole career
  • Re-signed a backup LB and core special teamer
  • Resigned a backup TE who was 2nd round pick and has been a bust
  • Resigned a backup RB who has done little to nothing except make a few plays on special teams

Overall, this FA period has been underwhelming with the Bengals not doing much to improve the team despite having major holes to fill on both sides of the line and the cash to bring in players..

Not sure what they are waiting on but this franchise hasn't accomplished enough to sit back let FA come to them, they need to be aggressive and acquire as many good players as possible. That Super Bowl was 3 years ago and many of those players are not on the team and the team has regressed since then, the front office can't ride that Super Bowl run forever. It's looking like the 80's all over again. 

• Upvote 3

Haven't seen any remarks on this aspect; wondering what others think. IMO, one of the problems with the Bengals offense the past few years is that it seems predictable at times. By that I mean defenses see certain formations and personnel changes and pretty much can suss things out pre-snap. Do these two offensive player additions address this tendency? Does it allow the team to mask their intent better with their play calls? And lastly, does this have value when making these free agent decisions?

• Like 1

https://www.andthevalleyshook.com/2023/4/10/23621050/bengals-full-season-film-review

Here’s a really good article on how they run their offense against different coverages. Until they can establish the run, they’re going to see a lot of Tampa 2. They might look predictable but Joe is just so good at identifying what variations of Tampa teams are running. In terms of the guys they added - they got more athletic which is something they lack both at skill positions and offensive line. Geisicki in particular should be a weapon against T2 and beating the MLB in their deeper drop and helping them present 12 personnel at times to keep teams from disguising coverages.

They need another man coverage beater. I’m hoping that comes in the form of a day 2 pick this year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JC said:

Can’t wait to watch him with Burrow and with what Zac Taylor realized towards the end of last year with a slot TE, he could get significant targets each and every game. Hope he stays healthy. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Homer_Rice said:

Haven't seen any remarks on this aspect; wondering what others think. IMO, one of the problems with the Bengals offense the past few years is that it seems predictable at times. By that I mean defenses see certain formations and personnel changes and pretty much can suss things out pre-snap. Do these two offensive player additions address this tendency? Does it allow the team to mask their intent better with their play calls? And lastly, does this have value when making these free agent decisions?

There is a RB in this class that played WR up until last year, Tyrone Tracy of Purdue. Imagine you add him. 

You run out with

Chase-Can play Outside or Slot

Jones-Played mostly outside in college but is now playing slot

Gesicki-Plays slot mostly but can play inline and has played 20% outside in his career

Sample-Plays mostly inline but played in the backfield last year. 

Tracy-Could play RB but could obviously be flexed out. 

Teams would have no idea what lineup was coming. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Going back a ways but...

T. J. Houshmandzadeh

Tim Krumrie was drafted in the 10th round 1983 Draft

Read what I said.Most don't make a team.I did not say none do.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Griever said:

Right, and we still need a RT. Not sure who will be available round 1 at NT when it's our turn to pick...

TVondre Sweat .Texas..would be there.

6'4 360 lbs..

It would be for Need not BPA

but he would definitely wall up the interior.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

So 2 days into FA the Bengals have done the following:

• Signed Geno Stone, a starting Safety who had a very impressive 7 int's last year. This might free up Dax Hill to play CB as he struggled at safety and maybe they could also replace Nick Scott, who was frequently out of position and whiffed on tackles when he was in position.
  • Traded away their starting RB for a 7th pick, despite him being a team-friendly deal...a bit a of a head-scratcher for me..
  • Signed a backup TE who is on his 3rd team in 2 years, at least he can learn how to do the Griddy correctly, or maybe stop doing it for all of our sakes...he dances like Elaine from Seinfeld
  • Signed a backup RB who is a decent pass blocker but average in every other phase of the game, for perspective Joe Mixon has accomplished more in 2 seasons(2021-22) than this guy has done in his whole career
  • Re-signed a backup LB and core special teamer
  • Resigned a backup TE who was 2nd round pick and has been a bust
  • Resigned a backup RB who has done little to nothing except make a few plays on special teams

Overall, this FA period has been underwhelming with the Bengals not doing much to improve the team despite having major holes to fill on both sides of the line and the cash to bring in players..

Not sure what they are waiting on but this franchise hasn't accomplished enough to sit back let FA come to them, they need to be aggressive and acquire as many good players as possible. That Super Bowl was 3 years ago and many of those players are not on the team and the team has regressed since then, the front office can't ride that Super Bowl run forever. It's looking like the 80's all over again. 

i was torn on Mixon… had a great career, did a lot of good things and was a core of what they’ve built. I would have been fine had he stayed, but I did see a dip in his performance last year, at least as far as making guys miss and getting more yards that were there to be had (for a more elusive back). Like Moss… no, he’s not gonna win a ton of foot races but he’s a more decisive and sudden runner than Joe is now. He’s younger and has less tread on the tires, and is better in pass pro. He’s a pretty good receiver… maybe not as good as Joe, but I personally think overall, Moss is an upgrade. When Taylor was out last year, he showed he could carry the load as a feature back if/when called upon, and he had a very productive season. The fact that he wouldn’t start with Johnathan Taylor on the roster, who IMO is a top 5 back in the league, doesn’t mean the guy can’t play. 

re Gesicki, I think that’s a helluva get. He’s a much better pass receiver than anyone they’ve had a TE in a long time. He’ll make acrobatic catches, make contested catches, and can play in the slot or split wide… just a mismatch in the passing game that they haven’t had. I discount what he did in NE… Mac Jones was flat-out bad and their offense was a train wreck. That said, he can’t block for isht. But neither could Tanner Hudson, and this guy is significantly better. Burrow is gonna love using him and it opens up the offense considerably, IMO. He’ll be big on 3rd down. 

And a few years ago, I’d agree that Sample is a bust. But he isn’t now… had a very solid year last year, and showed a little something as a receiver and moving him around as a blocker, even in the backfield showed his versatility. 

I c’è rtainly can’t disagree that they haven’t upgraded the trenches which are the most glaring needs, but at DT guys like Reader, Rankins and Tart (among others) are out there… and while the OL class was/is pretty crappy, there are still a few guys out there and the draft is very strong there, especially at T. I wouldn’t even discount Jonah at this stage. 

So far, I’ve liked the moves they’ve made and I suspect that there are a few more coming in the trenches. So I’d give them a high B/low A for what they’ve done to address specific spots, but they have to address the OL and DL… they know that, and I believe that’s coming.

• Upvote 4