4 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

If Brown is such an obvious upgrade over Becton, who didn't want to play here...why did the Bengals not target Brown from the beginning of FA, like why waste time on a lesser player like Becton?

Is it purely because of the Frank Pollack connection, because if so that is a huge waste of time and misstep? This idea that Pollack was going to rehab Becton's career is hilarious because he hasn't been able to develop one decent starter out of the 7 draft picks the Bengals have used on the offensive line in the past 5 years. These are talented players who have all the tools to be successful but Pollack has only managed to get one to start, and he's the worst player on the offensive line, a legit liability that should be replaced. 

The Bengals wasted a whole week on Becton when they should have been targeting Brown from the beginning, but better late than never...I guess...let's hope they get a deal done with Brown. 

Did they offer Becton a contract?  At work and did not see it if they did.

BUT... all's well that ends well and glad Brown is here.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Did they offer Becton a contract?  At work and did not see it if they did.

BUT... all's well that ends well and glad Brown is here.

They did from what I could tell, but he wanted to weigh his options and left town without signing it. I know in years past players and their agents would come to Cincy to set a market and drum up interest only to get another team to sign them for a similar deal..not sure if that was Becton's play but thankfully the door on him going to this team has closed. 

Sounds like he took this opportunity for granted, it will be interesting to see where he lands. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I'd much rather start a rookie guard than a rookie center.  Why not let him replace Volson directly for now?

I thought that too until I saw how Creed Humphries played at such a high level his rook yr.

I believe JPJ will start and play effactively from jump.

Sticking Karras back at guard would work as well imo.

You'd have Volson and Ford as backups which would make the bench stronger.

They'll draft a OT though because it's a bigger need and the right thing to do.

• Like 1

Just now, Jamie_B said:

This signing doesn't take RT off the table at 18 at all. I expect Brown to start but the rookie will get time even if to keep Brown fresh

I agree, but I'd have my eye on a guy with T/G versatility (Fuaga, Fautanu, Latham), or LT/RT versatility. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Bayou here we cum 

IMG_20240319_200948.jpg

Well.. So far? Because all y'all actually "did" was lose a Superbowl but you seem to think that means something years later. That's a big part of why you haven't done it again. 

There's no do-overs, all it means is that it's going to be harder the next time because no one is overlooking the Bengals now.

This whole organization needs to stop strutting around like they've done something and get back to work.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

I thought that too until I saw how Creed Humphries played at such a high level his rook yr.

I believe JPJ will start and play effactively from jump.

Sticking Karras back at guard would work as well imo.

You'd have Volson and Ford as backups which would make the bench stronger.

They'll draft a OT though because it's a bigger need and the right thing to do.

I have some doubts as to whether an OT is going to be among their BPA's at 18. Just as likely they take a WR or anything but a QB really, based on how they've been drafting.

5 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

If Brown is such an obvious upgrade over Becton, who didn't want to play here...why did the Bengals not target Brown from the beginning of FA, like why waste time on a lesser player like Becton?

Is it purely because of the Frank Pollack connection, because if so that is a huge waste of time and misstep? This idea that Pollack was going to rehab Becton's career is hilarious because he hasn't been able to develop one decent starter out of the 7 draft picks the Bengals have used on the offensive line in the past 5 years. These are talented players who have all the tools to be successful but Pollack has only managed to get one to start, and he's the worst player on the offensive line, a legit liability that should be replaced. 

The Bengals wasted a whole week on Becton when they should have been targeting Brown from the beginning, but better late than never...I guess...let's hope they get a deal done with Brown. 

It probably was Pollack and I agree it's ridiculous.  This OL has done nothing but underperform. Instead if holding him accountable the team will instead publish some fawning article about his model train collection or some such bullshit.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, alleycat said:

Maybe Brown was getting one year offers but the Bengals showed with Rankins that they are now willing to give guys on either side of 30 a 2 year deal. I'd be all in for that, with the potential upside that you light his competitive fire playing for a winner with this culture and you hit the jackpot. Best case scenario is you take a G/T prospect in this draft who moves right into a G position if Brown turns into a guy we want to extend. 

Fuaga if he's there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Why any team would ever do a 1 year deal I don't know. 🤔 It only benefits the player and makes them way more expensive if they do well. Whereas if they do bad and have a 2 year deal you can just cut them anyway. 

Now if Gesicki or Trent Brown have pro bowl seasons they will end up leaving for a big payday elsewhere. 🤨 

Players want more guarantees the longer a contract runs. Bengals don't like to guarantee money after year 1. So that makes it a pay as you go option for the team with the player at risk of losing his income without countervailing guaranteed money.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Well.. So far? Because all y'all actually "did" was lose a Superbowl but you seem to think that means something years later. That's a big part of why you haven't done it again. 

There's no do-overs, all it means is that it's going to be harder the next time because no one is overlooking the Bengals now.

This whole organization needs to stop strutting around like they've done something and get back to work.

I get your opinion, but I think knowing what they did to get to the Superbowl in the first place is a key focus in getting back.  It show what worked and what didn't, which is point-blank a subpar O-Line.  That cost us a possible SB win in 2021, and it cost us a possible return to the SB in 2022.  If Trent Brown turns out to be the main cog that finally makes the Bengals O-Line finally respectable for Burrows benefit, we should get back.  I want to say they should had did something, just it isn't done.  My personal opinion.

• Upvote 2