*** [RD 3] Bengals Select ~ JERMAINE BURTON, WR ***

15 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Coach-speak for “Yes he’s likely a psycho, but with medication, we hope to reduce his bad days.”

Burton plays football with a lot of emotion, maybe even too much at times with the taunting, but no one has ever called him lackadaisical on a football field, He plays HARD. He is a versatile receiver who may also have the most sure hands in a very deep WR class. Zac Taylor on Burton:

You want to talk about Jermaine (Burton) specifically, you can see him see him run all sorts of routes from all positions. You see him making contested plays down the field, you see him run away from people down the field, you see no drops on tape this year — didn't see a single one. And you saw run after the catch. You saw great scramble awareness, getting in phase with the quarterback and creating big plays on scrambles.

2 hours ago, dex said:

Burton plays football with a lot of emotion, maybe even too much at times with the taunting, but no one has ever called him lackadaisical on a football field, He plays HARD. He is a versatile receiver who may also have the most sure hands in a very deep WR class.

There is emotion, and then there psychosis. What combination he may have between the lines is of no concern. It’s when young women get slugged into next week, for daring to have their own emotions charging a field post-game, is where the lines dim. 

The Bengals docs and shrinks may sign off that he’s all-good and no problemo. One never knows. 

People were all to ready to pounce on Sweat’s DUI as “red flags”….clocking women is just as red. 

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

There is emotion, and then there psychosis. What combination he may have between the lines is of no concern. It’s when young women get slugged into next week, for daring to have their own emotions charging a field post-game, is where the lines dim. 

The Bengals docs and shrinks may sign off that he’s all-good and no problemo. One never knows. 

People were all to ready to pounce on Sweat’s DUI as “red flags”….clocking women is just as red. 

It's about the opportunity cost isnt it... This dude may become a model citizen, the injured guys may never miss a game.

The point is that there were prospects available to them that were healthy, that didn't act like complete jackasses while hopping from one school to the next. Were these questionable picks so much better than everyone else still on the board when they made them, enough so to justify ignoring the red flags? Doubtful.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Were these questionable picks so much better than everyone else still on the board when they made them, enough so to justify ignoring the red flags? Doubtful

All I know that super-productive/normal human being Roman Wilson was still there. 

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

All I know that super-productive/normal human being Roman Wilson was still there. 

He was indeed, and I wouldn't have been upset if they picked him. He is however a slot only WR where Burton can play both slot and potentially be a Higgins replacement. The gamble was worth it imo.

30 minutes ago, Sox said:

He was indeed, and I wouldn't have been upset if they picked him. He is however a slot only WR where Burton can play both slot and potentially be a Higgins replacement. The gamble was worth it imo.

Suppose every draft pick is a gamble. I like what Housh had to say as well but I'm a little skeptical of the endorsements of former Bengals. Seem to recall Willie Anderson blowing smoke up everyone's ass about a couple of OL busts? Guys pay to train with them and it looks good if it improves their draft position. JS they have might be motivated by something other than what makes the Bengals a better team when hyping up their clients.

Refusing to trade Higgins so they can take a flyer on this guy without counting on him to start is indeed a gamble.  Remains to be seen when & how Tee shows up but I still think I'd have preferred the $25M & an extra draft pick with which to secure a more stable & reliable future WR2 plus another player or two.

A lot of these picks seem... hopeful. Maybe even charitable? They're really laying it on thick with the human interest family drama, personal hardships and team captain stuff.

They should be good for DTs and TEs. Otherwise they haven't  settled anything which seems like a missed opportunity after making 10 draft picks.

I wouldn’t have minded Wilson there but they clearly wanted someone who could play inside/outside and Wilson is a projection at best to play Z. He’s smaller than most corners and has short arms. Burton may end up being a grade A shithead, but he has played both boundary positions against SEC corners and consistently destroyed them down the field. 

The one thing Tyler Boyd couldn’t do is catch the ball down the field. Burton is the best in this draft at doing that.

Added plus is that it kills the Boyd to Pittsburgh possibility 

On 4/26/2024 at 10:37 PM, MichaelWeston said:

We clearly didn't draft him because of this interview, LOL. It must have been painful and actually terrifying for him.

Such a young kid who needs to mature, he could become a solid pick if he grows into it and checks himself as a pro.

1 minute ago, Jupiter Fan said:

Bengals need their video/media guy to make a tape of every Bengal

who went over the edge and cost the team a stupid penalty and show it to him.

He needs to mature fast and controlling his decisions is a huge part of that.

The Bengals need to get the video of him punching a girl at the Tennessee game and

post it on the Stealers web site.

26 minutes ago, Jupiter Fan said:

Bengals need their video/media guy to make a tape of every Bengal

who went over the edge and cost the team a stupid penalty and show it to him.

He needs to mature fast and controlling his decisions is a huge part of that.

If he can channel his passion for the game properly, he may turn out to be a heck of a player. I think being around Jamarr Chase and Joe Burrow will help with that. 

This was a good pick. We could have taken an outside receiver like Devontaze Walker or Troy Franklin or slot guy like Roman Wilson here. But Burton has a lot of versatility, good hands and speed, can run a full route tree and handle contact. Perhaps he remains immature but it's worth the gamble imo. 

As far as trading Tee goes, that should have been decided before the draft, either at the start of free agency so we could spend the money on other players, or at least before the draft so we could use the pick we got for him this year. Higgins and Aiyuk (or Samuel) were available. I'm a bit surprised that teams like Washington or New England which took rookie QBs and have lots of cap space didn't trade for a WR1. Chicago was wise to trade for Keenan Allen and their QB will benefit more than Daniels or Maye. 

Burton has the feel of a guy you eventually ask not to come in to the office because he's such a cancer all the time. Success will only make him feel he's right. He has the wall/mask up that you can just tell he doesn't take responsibility. We just handed him a million bucks. He might have some success but I really doubt this ends well. I think we all have had times in our lives where we were immature and thought we knew everything. Maybe he makes his way through that. But it would be hard to imagine it happens in 4 years and he's not a malcontent on and off the field at times....and when and if he eventually gets there he will we be willing to pay him? Probably not? This is Antonio Brown vibes. 

What a bunch of virtue-signaling horseshit. 

How many of you have watched the grainy video of him running to the locker room after that Tennessee game? Actually watched it?

How many of you watched Joe Mixon knock out a woman in a fast food restaurant, was it? How many of you wretched about Joe Mixon joining this team, and then became his fans and defenders once he was a Bengal and (mostly) kept himself out of trouble (despite the odd backyard shootout)? No, that wasn't you? You hated Joe Mixon outwardly, vocally, verbally this last many years no matter how many touchdowns he scored, no matter how many games he helped us win?

Child please. 

In one video, a KID who just lost a game is running through a mob back to his locker room and some overzealous fan (a female), runs in front of him, stops, squats in his face, and clearly says some shit as she passes, and the throws out an arm as she passes. Slap is probably the right word. Swipe might work. Punch? Are you fucking kidding me? Want to see a punch? Watch what Joe Mixon did to some young woman in a fast food restaurant. That's a punch. 

Neither are commendable. Both are objectionable . One is clearly different than the other, and I would argue that one is reprehensible, the other simply condemnable. 

But are we in the place in the world now where, because of one grainy God's-eye camera angle (that would never have existed previously), some brush up with someone in an extremely heightened moment when someone did in fact aggressively put herself in the face of another human being, and that person reacts, however inappropriately, is now cause for all of this high and mighty moral bullshit? Really? 

We have had hotheads on this team who have cost us in big games. You know the last hot-headed play that cost us a major game, even a birth to the Super Bowl? It was Joseph Ossai, arguably one of the most high-character, level-headed players on the team, who, in a highly emotional moment made a bad decision. So yeah, don't talk to me about Vontaze Burfict.

Football is a violent game full of highly competitive MF's who put their health and well-being on the line every play for our gratification. It's a brutal sport that results in MANY of these guys having jello for brains - and turning into socio/psychopaths as s result = for YOUR enjoyment. And you want to sit around and moralize about how they should be model citizens and reflect back onto you some kind of picture of how you want to see yourselves? 

Child please. 

Especially for the 80th pick in the draft, count me in with Zac, who, in the few words he said to this kid when he called to draft him, said "we believe in you." Maybe I'm old fashioned. Maybe I'm so Old fashioned you can lump me in with the Browns who believe in second chances. But I'm definitely old enough that I cannot support this idea of writing someone off forever because of some dumb shit they did as a kid. When you create a team, it's not all angels. It can't be. You need redemption songs. You need the old and washed out guys who weren't given a chance but found new life here. You need other players who were never given a chance, respect...whatever.  It's called a family. 

And it's what Zac has created here. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

2 hours ago, alleycat said:

What a bunch of virtue-signaling horseshit. 

How many of you have watched the grainy video of him running to the locker room after that Tennessee game? Actually watched it?

How many of you watched Joe Mixon knock out a woman in a fast food restaurant, was it? How many of you wretched about Joe Mixon joining this team, and then became his fans and defenders once he was a Bengal and (mostly) kept himself out of trouble (despite the odd backyard shootout)? No, that wasn't you? You hated Joe Mixon outwardly, vocally, verbally this last many years no matter how many touchdowns he scored, no matter how many games he helped us win?

Child please. 

In one video, a KID who just lost a game is running through a mob back to his locker room and some overzealous fan (a female), runs in front of him, stops, squats in his face, and clearly says some shit as she passes, and the throws out an arm as she passes. Slap is probably the right word. Swipe might work. Punch? Are you fucking kidding me? Want to see a punch? Watch what Joe Mixon did to some young woman in a fast food restaurant. That's a punch. 

Neither are commendable. Both are objectionable . One is clearly different than the other, and I would argue that one is reprehensible, the other simply condemnable. 

But are we in the place in the world now where, because of one grainy God's-eye camera angle (that would never have existed previously), some brush up with someone in an extremely heightened moment when someone did in fact aggressively put herself in the face of another human being, and that person reacts, however inappropriately, is now cause for all of this high and mighty moral bullshit? Really? 

We have had hotheads on this team who have cost us in big games. You know the last hot-headed play that cost us a major game, even a birth to the Super Bowl? It was Joseph Ossai, arguably one of the most high-character, level-headed players on the team, who, in a highly emotional moment made a bad decision. So yeah, don't talk to me about Vontaze Burfict.

Football is a violent game full of highly competitive MF's who put their health and well-being on the line every play for our gratification. It's a brutal sport that results in MANY of these guys having jello for brains - and turning into socio/psychopaths as s result = for YOUR enjoyment. And you want to sit around and moralize about how they should be model citizens and reflect back onto you some kind of picture of how you want to see yourselves? 

Child please. 

Especially for the 80th pick in the draft, count me in with Zac, who, in the few words he said to this kid when he called to draft him, said "we believe in you." Maybe I'm old fashioned. Maybe I'm so Old fashioned you can lump me in with the Browns who believe in second chances. But I'm definitely old enough that I cannot support this idea of writing someone off forever because of some dumb shit they did as a kid. When you create a team, it's not all angels. It can't be. You need redemption songs. You need the old and washed out guys who weren't given a chance but found new life here. You need other players who were never given a chance, respect...whatever.  It's called a family. 

And it's what Zac has created here. 

Agreed

• Like 1

I have never seen Zac react so outwardly after making a pick, so he obviously thinks they just outsmarted the league and got themselves a top 20 talent with the 80th pick. 

From videos you can tell Burton has rare burst off the line and an "alpha" demeanor about himself in interviews. That bravado and overconfidence could have rubbed teams the wrong way, but if there's one position where it's most helpful in the NFL, it's WR.

All good teams have a few guys who "burn so brightly" that their fire can be 'warming' or 'searing'. Let's hope for the former. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Good stuff @alleycat

I anticipated the full-throated defense of this “single act”, and yours was the best so far..albeit the “blame the victim” stuff was a bit over-hyped. 

There is smoke, and then there is fire. As I said way back: whatever stuff he pulls between the lines, I could not care less about (although his hot dog-run-around-with-my-helmet-off-look-at-me crap might cost a penalty sometime). I suppose—in deference to Mr Weston’s observation that he is going to soon be a millionaire—I don’t really care if he becomes the newest clubbing dude in Cincinnati, or tools around in new Maserati’s each week.

Come to think of it: why should anyone give a rat’s arse what kind of person he is upstairs? He is what they all are: well-paid entertainers. Nobody cares if St Joseph puffs on stogies in the locker room—just as hot-doggish—why should anyone object to whatever this heretofore unknown 3rd rounder does? Get those 15-yarders across the middle on a consistent basis and all is right with the world.

Just an observation that all might not be right with this fellow. 

Its not just the punch. The punch plus his response at the combine and his overall demeanor. He's very immature. He had issues at Georgia and Alabama

Everyone eventually grows up. From football players to people on message boards. I will be rooting for it. 

Here is what Saban said after he was drafted. 

“He is a tremendous competitor,” Saban said on ABC’s NFL draft coverage. “He’s got great quickness. He’s got really good speed. He can come in and out of a break. He can beat man-to-man.

“I really, really like this guy, (but) the No. 1 thing that he needs to do — and I think emotional maturity is the best way to say it — is do the right things all the time. He does the right things on the field. He knows the importance of what he has to do in the field. He wants to be a player. That’s all he thinks about.

“But you’ve got to do the right things in your life all the time so that you can do the best things that you can do on the field and be the best you can do. … When you get emotional, you make bad decisions and lose your brain.”

Redditt is redditt but it's pretty telling: 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1