Bengals Add Backer

:o

[quote]The Arizona Cardinals have reached a contract agreement with All- Pro wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald Jr., Pending NFL approval. The 24 year old Fitzgerald, who helped the Cardinals to a 8-8 record in 2007 their best in ten years will remain with the Cardinals after signing a four-year contract extention.

The two-time Pro Bowl star said, "I'm very happy with this my intent was to stay with the Cardinals, I'm grateful that we were able to get this done." Fitzgerald led the NFC in 2007 with 100 receptions and 10 touchdowns. [b]Fitzgerald will get $33 million over the next three years [color="#FF0000"]$30-million is guaranteed[/color].[/b]

[b]In 2008 he will get $17 million $15 is guaranteed [/b] if the Cardinals released him after 2008 season he would become a unrestricted free agent, he also has a no trade clause with-out his consent. Cardinals Vice President of Football Operations Rod Graves and Larry's agent Eugene Parker negotiated the deal. In Larry's four years in the NFL he has 330 receptions for 4,554 yards and 34 touchdowns.[/quote]

[quote name='Bengals 4 Life' post='642481' date='Mar 11 2008, 11:21 AM']Is he not more of a 3-4 outside LB?

Obviously, that is what the Arizona uses. The article also states he played the OLB in a 3-4 College set.

Judging by his brief statistics (high sack totals), he's being used as a rushing OLB.

So I wonder about his role in a 4-3 and how well he would fit......[/quote]

He will probably be the back up SAM, but he could possibly even play DE on passing downs. Chris Clemmons only weighs 240 and he had success doing that for the Raiders last year.

[quote name='Bengals 4 Life' post='642481' date='Mar 11 2008, 11:21 AM']Is he not more of a 3-4 outside LB?

Obviously, that is what the Arizona uses. The article also states he played the OLB in a 3-4 College set.

Judging by his brief statistics (high sack totals), he's being used as a rushing OLB.

So I wonder about his role in a 4-3 and how well he would fit......[/quote]

They've been looking for a versatile LB that can play end since Pollack got hurt. We've had this discussion before but;

Let's say Geathers stands up before the ball is snapped. Maybe a mosquito bit him on the ass, doesn't matter.

Presto! We're a 3-4 defense.

This Blackstock guy should fit great. Also, we like to put OLB's at end in our nickel, where we tend to move the ends inside.

Anyway we've picked up several young free-agents, all with tremendous upside.

Damn, what are we gonna bitch about now?

:ninja:

[quote name='bengaled' post='642477' date='Mar 11 2008, 11:00 AM']i'd add the WSB's resposibility USUALLY is covering the back coming out in the flat, which is natural, since the design of the play is away from the flow of action (strongside) against the grain. for that reason, your weakside guy needs to be more agile and a better cover man, as running backs are clearly more elusive and faster than the TE is. also, when a back runs a downfield pass pattern, usually it will be the WLB's responsibility to cover him.

now where this all goes to hell is when the TE comes in motion. unless your OLB's flip flop, their roles get somewhat reversed. that's why you so often see the TE in motion...to create those mismatches. now your weakside man has to be studly enough to shed through trash, and conversely your SAM has to be up to the task of covering the running back, without leaving his jock on the field.[/quote]

The Bengals adjust their OLBs in response to motion, or at least they used to (haven't checked recently). When Hardy was the SAM our backers were always running around adjusting.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='642446' date='Mar 11 2008, 05:55 AM']And Landon shouldn't have started here. W/O injuries to Henderson, Brooks, Pollack, Thurman (not exactly an injury), Jeanty, etc, Landon would have been a backup, as he should have been.

Blackstock >>> Landon. If the training staff can keep him healthy and off IR, unlike our LBs last year ;)[/quote]

No, he's not remotely better than Landon but he isn't asked to be. Blackstock is a backup guy who will be mainly used on special teams. As a pass rusher, he'd probably be behind Brooks, Pollack, Jeanty, and Henderson.

[quote name='sparky151' post='642517' date='Mar 12 2008, 04:22 AM']No, he's not remotely better than Landon but he isn't asked to be. Blackstock is a backup guy who will be mainly used on special teams. As a pass rusher, he'd probably be behind Brooks, Pollack, Jeanty, and Henderson.[/quote]
Sorry, but physically, Blackstock is better than Landon. Similar speed, but with greater size and strength, making up for the biggest weakness in Landon's game.

If he only plays teams, so be it. That's all Landon should have been doing. Should he catch on and make a larger role for himself, this could be a great signing.

[quote name='T-Dub' post='642499' date='Mar 11 2008, 12:43 PM']They've been looking for a versatile LB that can play end since Pollack got hurt. We've had this discussion before but;

Let's say Geathers stands up before the ball is snapped. Maybe a mosquito bit him on the ass, doesn't matter.

Presto! We're a 3-4 defense.

This Blackstock guy should fit great. Also, we like to put OLB's at end in our nickel, where we tend to move the ends inside.

Anyway we've picked up several young free-agents, all with tremendous upside.

Damn, what are we gonna bitch about now?

:ninja:[/quote]

Yeah I think this gives us alot more flexibility if anything. Its a nice pick up but I definitely don't like the 1 year contract deal.

Regardless, its a great 'value' pick up I feel.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='642490' date='Mar 11 2008, 12:06 PM']:o
[quote]The Arizona Cardinals have reached a contract agreement with All- Pro wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald Jr., Pending NFL approval. The 24 year old Fitzgerald, who helped the Cardinals to a 8-8 record in 2007 their best in ten years will remain with the Cardinals after signing a four-year contract extention.

The two-time Pro Bowl star said, "I'm very happy with this my intent was to stay with the Cardinals, I'm grateful that we were able to get this done." Fitzgerald led the NFC in 2007 with 100 receptions and 10 touchdowns. Fitzgerald will get $33 million over the next three years $30-million is guaranteed.

In 2008 he will get $17 million $15 is guaranteed if the Cardinals released him after 2008 season he would become a unrestricted free agent, he also has a no trade clause with-out his consent. Cardinals Vice President of Football Operations Rod Graves and Larry's agent Eugene Parker negotiated the deal. In Larry's four years in the NFL he has 330 receptions for 4,554 yards and 34 touchdowns.[/quote]

[/quote]
Housh just got A LOT more expensive... Not saying he and Fitzgerald are on the same level but stats-wise they're similar and TJ has been healthier over the last two years...

Good job on whoever called the Darryl Blackstock signing. If the kid shows something other than special teams, he might be here longer than that one-year deal that he signed.

Remember, when we drafted Carson in 2003, we gave him a 7 year, $49 million contract. Three years later, we ripped up that deal, and replaced it with a $118 million deal, because he showed that he was indeed the franchise QB that we had been looking for.

Mark these words, if Blackstock gets his chance and shows out, and he expresses a desire to stay here in Cincinnati, Marvin and crew will resign him to a longer deal, and it will happen before the one-year runs out. Zim and Fitz are high on the guy, so if he shines, he's gonna stay a Bengal.

Simple as that. Contracts can change.

[quote name='SlantNGo' post='642502' date='Mar 11 2008, 12:52 PM']The Bengals adjust their OLBs in response to motion, or at least they used to (haven't checked recently). When Hardy was the SAM our backers were always running around adjusting.[/quote]

yeah, that's one option (not the best IMO) the problem with that is when the TE goes in motion one way, then reverses that motion back to the original strong side, the defense has a hard time getting back in position. but what the hey, i'm not qualified to call defenses...that's just an observation.

Slightly off topic but wasn't Ahmad Brooks and Ricky Hundley supposedly good friends? If so this looks eerily similar to the Josh Hamilton and Johnny Narron deal. Is it to play babysitter and maybe light a little fire? Teams do this all the time, at the top of my head remember that guy in Chicago who was brought in to babysit Dennis Rodman and make sure everything flows. Same with Hamilton. I'm probably off base, but I thought I'd throw that out there especially considering the 1yr deal..

[quote name='Dumall' post='642572' date='Mar 11 2008, 03:17 PM']Slightly off topic but wasn't Ahmad Brooks and Ricky Hundley supposedly good friends? If so this looks eerily similar to the Josh Hamilton and Johnny Narron deal. Is it to play babysitter and maybe light a little fire? Teams do this all the time, at the top of my head remember that guy in Chicago who was brought in to babysit Dennis Rodman and make sure everything flows. Same with Hamilton. I'm probably off base, but I thought I'd throw that out there especially considering the 1yr deal..[/quote]

I'm confused as to what your point is. What has Brooks done that makes you think he needs a babysitter?

[quote name='gatorclaws' post='642576' date='Mar 11 2008, 03:26 PM']I'm confused as to what your point is. What has Brooks done that makes you think he needs a babysitter?[/quote]
It was no secret that Hunley was great friends with the Brooks family. Hunley more than likely made a serious pitch during the supplemental draft on his behalf. And I'm not saying entirely he needs a babysitter, it just made me think. FWIW I believe this particular move at lb proves the bengals desire to play 4-3, and 3-4 and any giving time during a game.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='642533' date='Mar 11 2008, 02:19 PM']Housh just got A LOT more expensive... Not saying he and Fitzgerald are on the same level but stats-wise they're similar and TJ has been healthier over the last two years...[/quote]

I'm curious as to what the whole deal looks like, as Clayton just said the new deal cleared $8.5million off this years cap yet he's getting a guaranteed $15million this year.

[quote name='DanvilleBengal' post='642552' date='Mar 11 2008, 01:44 PM']Good job on whoever called the Darryl Blackstock signing. If the kid shows something other than special teams, he might be here longer than that one-year deal that he signed.

Remember, when we drafted Carson in 2003, we gave him a 7 year, $49 million contract. Three years later, we ripped up that deal, and replaced it with a $118 million deal, because he showed that he was indeed the franchise QB that we had been looking for.

Mark these words, if Blackstock gets his chance and shows out, and he expresses a desire to stay here in Cincinnati, Marvin and crew will resign him to a longer deal, and it will happen before the one-year runs out. Zim and Fitz are high on the guy, so if he shines, he's gonna stay a Bengal.

Simple as that. Contracts can change.[/quote]

Why it makes me wish we could of gotten him for at least 2 years.

i mean only thing we need is him getting 6-8 sacks next year and commanding Odom type numbers.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='642459' date='Mar 11 2008, 07:42 AM']as John Clayton put it this morning, "the Cardinals can't even afford to sign minimum salary guys until the Larry Fitzgerald situation gets resolved".

As much as some hate Chad, at least he's not holding our offseason hostage like Fitzgerald is for the Cards.[/quote]

Holding the cards hostage? He signed the contract they offered him. That is 100% the fault of the Cardinals.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='642603' date='Mar 11 2008, 04:23 PM']Holding the cards hostage? He signed the contract they offered him. That is 100% the fault of the Cardinals.[/quote]

I guess the threatening to hold out if he didn't get a new contract had no effect on their cap situation. :crazy:

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='642607' date='Mar 11 2008, 03:31 PM']I guess the threatening to hold out if he didn't get a new contract had no effect on their cap situation. :crazy:[/quote]

IVE GOT A FEELING THAT THIS GUY WILL BE BETTER THAN WE EXPECTED.

Archived