Henry interested in several teams, including Bengals

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3493767"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3493767[/url]

[quote]Henry interested in several teams, including Bengals
By James Walker
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: July 17, 2008, 3:00 PM ET

Now that former Cincinnati Bengals receiver Chris Henry's legal issues are behind him and he could possibly be reinstated, the question is: Where will he land next?

According to Henry and his agent Marvin Frazier, a return to the Bengals is a possibility.

"We have interest in several teams, including Cincinnati,'' Frazier said Thursday.

[b]Frazier says it's still early in the process, but the Bengals have shown preliminary interest in Henry since his assault charge was dropped in Hamilton County (Ohio) court earlier this week.[/b] Perhaps expecting a suspension following Henry's fifth arrest, the team released Henry before the legal system ran its course.

But Henry says he wouldn't hold any grudges against the organization that drafted him in 2005. In fact, he would welcome a return to the Bengals with open arms.

"Going back to the Bengals is possible,'' Henry said. "I wouldn't mind it happening because I loved playing in Cincinnati. I got real close with all the guys out there and I planned on being out there for a long time. I really had a good time playing ball out there in Ohio."

[b]The Bengals, in a prepared statement issued by public relations director Jack Brennan, said they could not respond to Henry's comments about a potential return.[/b]

"Chris is presently under NFL suspension, and until such time as he may be reinstated, we are not in position to comment," the team said. "Even in the event he is reinstated, he is no longer our player, and rarely if ever do we comment on any player who is not under contract with us."

Henry says he's been working out and getting back into football shape. He has no doubts that he can help a team this season. He had 88 career receptions for 1,370 yards and 17 touchdowns as Cincinnati's No. 3 receiver behind Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh.

Henry still has to meet with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to seek a lifting of his suspension. A date has not been set, but a meeting could take place within the next two weeks.

"All we could say is this would be reviewed at the appropriate time, and all factors would be considered," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Monday, when the assault charge against Henry was dropped.

Overall, Henry, 25, knows this is an important time for him, wherever he signs, and he's looking at this opportunity as a new beginning in his life and football career.

"That's what I'm trying to make it,'' Henry said. "I'm just focusing on what I need to be doing off the field so I can keep doing what I do on the field. I just have to be smart and handle myself like a professional at all times. Off the field, if I'll handle situations like I'm supposed to everything else will take care of itself."

He was suspended by the NFL for eight games last year. When he returned for the second half of the season, he caught 21 passes for 343 yards and two touchdowns.

Henry had nine touchdown catches in 13 games in 2006, when he was suspended by the league for two games and benched for another by coach Marvin Lewis because of misconduct.

Henry's legal problems include arrests for possession of marijuana in northern Kentucky, carrying a concealed weapon in Florida, drunken driving in Ohio and providing alcohol to minors in northern Kentucky.

James Walker covers the NFL for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this story.[/quote]

[quote name='USN Bengal' post='679760' date='Jul 17 2008, 02:23 PM'][url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3493767"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3493767[/url][/quote]

I think he would be much wiser to have a change of scenery. Get away from the crowd that gets him in trouble, and maybe he can pull it off. Yeah, it could be great for our offense if he actually played all 19 games, but I don't see it happening. At this point who get's cut for him, Not Chad, TJ, Simpson, or Caldwell, plus it looks as if Chatman returns punts. That leaves one spot for Henry to take from the rest of our receivers?

[quote name='Memphis_Bengal' post='679774' date='Jul 17 2008, 03:06 PM']Fixed it for you.[/quote]

If the Cowboys can trade for Pacman Jones and pick up Tank Johnson why can't the Bengals re-sign Henry? I'm on the fence with the desicion but for what he brings to the field, the inexperience of these rookie receivers picking up the #3, and his experience/talent he's shown in our system you have to at least weigh the pros and cons with the kid.

[quote name='Jason' post='679777' date='Jul 17 2008, 03:19 PM']Slim is a very talented receiver, but do we really want to risk his temper and unreliability again?[/quote]

It's rumored that Jerivicius is going on the PUP after an unsuccessful knee scope. If that's the case I guarantee the Browns would risk this and I know I wouldn't want to be playing against Henry 2X a year.

[quote name='Dautcom08' post='679780' date='Jul 17 2008, 03:26 PM']It's rumored that Jerivicius is going on the PUP after an unsuccessful knee scope. If that's the case I guarantee the Browns would risk this and I know I wouldn't want to be playing against Henry 2X a year.[/quote]

I saw that too, and the first thing that came to mind was him signing with the Stains, I sure hope that doesn't happen, granted he's an (_0_), but he's a talented (_0_).... lol, did that sound right???

I'm not really sure what to think about this, My first reaction to reading the the Bengals are showing interest was a smile, cause he;s just so damn good, but then I think about the crap that comes with him and start to cringe. Maybe he can play for us on the field, and immediately after practice or a game he is put in shackles and gaurded by three armed men.

Sign him for 1 yr deal at minimum salary with a clause in the contract that if he plays, say, at least 14 games this season, he could qualify for at least close to what he was supposed to make on his old contract with us this year before we cut him.

[quote name='Lucid' post='679786' date='Jul 17 2008, 03:53 PM']Sign him for 1 yr deal at minimum salary with a clause in the contract that if he plays, say, at least 14 games this season, he could qualify for at least close to what he was supposed to make on his old contract with us this year before we cut him.[/quote]

x2

Part of me wants rid of the drama and most likely another incident but I also know he has skillz.

If he would only pull a Chris Carter and get his act together I would love to have him.

Decisions decisions.

[quote name='SF2' post='679789' date='Jul 17 2008, 05:10 PM']Part of me wants rid of the drama and most likely another incident but I also know he has skillz.

If he would only pull a Chris Carter and get his act together I would love to have him.

Decisions decisions.[/quote]
[b][b]WOULD'NT THAT BE AWESOME......THIS IS A TOUGH DECISION BECAUSE OF HIS TALENT. I WOULD JUST HATE TO SEE HIM GO TO ANOTHER TEAM ....[/b]

[quote name='Phatcat' post='679792' date='Jul 17 2008, 04:23 PM']If this does happen I hope it is not scenario where Mike pulled the trigger and Marvin was opposed. I don't like the potential implicatons of that.[/quote]

ditto

[quote name='Jason' post='679777' date='Jul 17 2008, 01:19 PM']Slim is a very talented receiver, but do we really want to risk his temper and unreliability again?[/quote]
Yes. He can step right in and play the #3 excellently, and if he screws up again you've got much young talent behind him now that you didn't have before to step up and take the slot. Can't hurt. If for no other reason than a training camp insurance policy in case the youngsters struggle and Chatman comes up lame as usual.

[size=3][b]"All we could say is this would be reviewed at the appropriate time, and all factors would be considered," [/b][/size]NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Monday, when the assault charge against Henry was dropped.

Translation: If any team other than the Cincinnati Bengals pick him up there will be no suspension. However, if the Bengals resign him we will suspend him forever and charge the Bengals with the next 10 years 1st round picks.

Archived