Henry interested in several teams, including Bengals

Hell, for a last-chance contract I'd sign him. Sure, he doesn't know the entire route tree, but if CP wants him back, you bet I'd take him back. For the routes he does run well, he makes plays.

I consider last year an anomaly... if he got here with some training camp under his belt, he'd be a difference maker. Last year in training camp, he was a beast, and had he not been suspended for the first 8 games, I think he would have had a very good season.

Not saying that some of the other guys can't or won't develop, but you're talking about adding a guy who is a mismatch nightmare, who had 15 TDs in 2 years (not counting last year). I'll take that production.

[quote name='scharm' post='679888' date='Jul 18 2008, 06:39 AM']Just an ignorant response. So your telling me if the bengals lose 2 pro bowl players they haven't stockpiled a position. Do you watch the NFL?

[b]They ask Henry to mainly run 2 routes because he hasn't been able to improve anywhere else. He runs a fly and deep come back against favorable coverage afforded to him by playing with Chad and TJ. [/b]

Carson's protection was top notch that's just dumb to suggest otherwise. Henry is a waste of talent that spends more time destroying his potential than developing it. If he had the drive of a Chad Johnson he might be a star.[/quote]

Dude he's the #3 receiver. #3 play in a limited role. He doesn't need to be the superstar of the team. I'll take those two routes the way he's able to execute them from my #3 all day any day.

And saying they only asked Henry to run 2 routes is just dumb. You've never seen him running over hte middle? Running a post? Running and in or a dig? Do you watch this TEAM? If you couldn't see how Henry exploited his matchups while he was on the field then you needed to open your eyes. Don't discredit his talent because of what he's done off the field that's what you're trying to do. You bash him for "only being able to run 2 routes" and then call him a waste of talent. Which is it?

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='679827' date='Jul 17 2008, 09:47 PM']Moss' effort level in Oakland sucked because the team and the coach were both fuckin' jokes and no one took it seriously so neither did he. He joined the Patriots and has one of the best WR season in history.[/quote]

Absolutely correct. Their offensive coordinator had been out of football for 10 years when Al Davis brought him on board. That entire organization was a joke and everyone, especially the players knew it. I am sure their are plenty of people on this board who had to work for a completely incompetent or close to it boss. In one ear out the other.

Still, I am totally on the fence on this one. I guess I will have to go with what Marvin thinks since he knows better than I.

[quote name='Dautcom08' post='679903' date='Jul 18 2008, 10:31 PM']Dude he's the #3 receiver. #3 play in a limited role. He doesn't need to be the superstar of the team. I'll take those two routes the way he's able to execute them from my #3 all day any day.

And saying they only asked Henry to run 2 routes is just dumb. You've never seen him running over hte middle? Running a post? Running and in or a dig? Do you watch this TEAM? If you couldn't see how Henry exploited his matchups while he was on the field then you needed to open your eyes. Don't discredit his talent because of what he's done off the field that's what you're trying to do. You bash him for "only being able to run 2 routes" and then call him a waste of talent. Which is it?[/quote]
I've seen him run over the middle... and have alligator arms that make ocho sucko look courageous :ninja:

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='679811' date='Jul 17 2008, 06:22 PM']I find it hard to believe that the combination of a healthy Perry, and the addition of Utecht, Simpson, Caldwell, and Maxwell can not only replace anything Henry's ever done in a season, but far surpass it. All WITHOUT the headaches that come with him. Truth is, we don't really NEED Henry that much anymore, which is the only reason he stuck around as long as he did.

No thanks.[/quote]

Completely agree. This is a silly thought. It reminds me of a broken relationship where the guy keeps cheating on the girl but she continually takes him back thinking that maybe this time he will finally change. We have the personnel to move beyond this headache of a player, Let's do so.

[quote][size=5][b]Henry and the Bengals could still work [/b][/size]

July 18, 2008 9:00 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

Jason Bridge/US Presswire
The Bengals were 5-3 with Chris Henry last season.
I know what you were thinking when you read the headline. You rolled your eyes. But hear me out.

The Cincinnati Bengals are still a good fit for free-agent receiver Chris Henry.

Wait, don't click on another link! Stop laughing and let me finish.

Thank you.

OK, where was I?

When the Bengals released Henry in April, their hand was forced. It was his fifth arrest in three years. Cincinnati was in the news too often this spring for all the wrong reasons, and Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis became extremely agitated and less tolerant of questionable behavior.

Therefore, the team had little choice but to cut Henry before the judicial system ran its course, even if it did reek of the backward term "guilty until proven innocent." But charges of assault and criminal damaging were eventually dismissed and now the move looks premature.

The Bengals could certainly use Henry. They were 2-6 without him in 2007 and 5-3 with him during the second half of the season. Henry helps take Cincinnati's offense to the next level, and added with receivers Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh, new tight end Ben Utecht and quarterback Carson Palmer throwing the ball, they would be a matchup nightmare for any defense in the NFL.

Cincinnati knows Henry's talents better than any other team. Henry already knows the playbook and his role in the offense. He has never been a problem in the Bengals' locker room and gets along well with the players. Both Johnson and Palmer have publicly praised Henry's on-the-field talents, as well.

Henry and agent Marvin Frazier said there has been some preliminary interest from Cincinnati. It may or may not go beyond that point, but when talking to Henry Thursday, he seemed very sincere about the possibility of re-joining his former team.

"I wouldn't mind it happening because I loved playing in Cincinnati," Henry said. "I got real close with all the guys out there and I planned on being out there for a long time. I really had a good time playing ball out there in Ohio."

If the NFL reinstates Henry within the next couple of weeks, the league essentially is giving Henry a clean slate.

What's wrong with the Bengals taking the same approach?[/quote]

[url="http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-8-246/Henry-and-the-Bengals-could-still-work.html"]http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-8-2...still-work.html[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]On the phone … with Chris Henry[/b][/size]
By Chick Ludwig | Friday, July 18, 2008, 04:28 AM

[b]DON’T EXPECT BENGALS

TO RE-SIGN CHRIS HENRY[/b]

===LUDWIG AT LARGE’S gut feeling is the Bengals will not re-sign Chris Henry. He’s a fine receiver, but the club chose to release him on April 3, and it should stick to it. Henry is a good guy — when he’s in the locker room. But when he’s outside that sanctuary, history shows that trouble seems to follow him. He needs a fresh start. Unfortunately for Bengals fans, Henry’s fresh start could be in Baltimore, Cleveland or Pittsburgh.===

So I dial up Chris Henry’s agent, Marvin Frazier, from the comfort of the Miamisburg War Room on Thursday at 5:30 p.m., and he tells me that Chris is “doing great,” That several teams have contacted him, and the Bengals are one of the teams interested in signing him.

“He’s fine with it,” Frazier said, “as long as everybody accepts him. He’s gotten past everything. He’s paid his dues. He’s done everything he’s supposed to do. This last situation was something that happened. He’s gotten past it. He’s grown up. All he wants to do right now is get on with his life.”

Then Frazier said, “Chris is right next to me,” and he handed his cell phone to Henry for a little chat with The Chickster.

In Henry’s words:

“Oh, man, I was very relieved (about the court case). Just getting that over with was big for me. It just feels good to be done with that stuff and be able to move on with my life. Now we’re just waiting for the league to get back with us with a date to go see the commissioner.

“Just going through this taught me a lot. I want to get back to doing what I love and that’s playing football. That’s basically what I’m trying to do. I’m just going to tell him everything, just be myself and hopefully he’ll give me that chance to prove that to him.

“I wouldn’t mind (returning to Cincinnati). I would like that. There’s no hard feeling on my part with the Bengals. There’s nothing like that. I want to come back and play with Chad, T.J. and Carson, and everybody else.

“Hopefully, I can get reinstated and then get signed by a team and be able to get back out there on the field and be able to get into a training camp. I’ve been working out in Charlotte, N.C.

“You already know what I can do on the field. I’m just trying to get out there and make plays and help any team out that I have a chance to play for.”[/quote]

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/chickludwig/entries/2008/07/18/on_the_phone_with_chris_henry.html"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/s...hris_henry.html[/url]

I'm ambivalent about re-signing Henry. He's a good player when on the field and a pain in the ass off it. I could see the team offering him a 1 year, vet minimum deal. That would get him to free agency. If he plays well in 08, then he could make some money maybe. The worst case would be him signing with another AFCN team. Bringing CH back would also slow the development of Simpson and Caldwell. I just have zero confidence that Henry can make it from now til next March without getting in trouble again.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='679880' date='Jul 18 2008, 01:29 AM']The short answer is we don't need Henry. The psychologist I'm seeing will tell you I am a racist.
I see our WR corps differently than you. I honestly believe that a couple of these rooks can and will contribute immediately. Henry was a rookie when he posted his best season....why not Simpson or Caldwell? It does happen, you know.

The bottom line is #9. The Rock at QB will make everyone look good, including gangsta Henry or any of the new guys. That's provided our oline play is better and that we offer up defenses a respectable rushing attack. If that happens, it doesn't really matter who's catching the ball, CP will put it where it needs to be.[/quote]

OMG we had one receiver who contributed as a rookie, that means all of them will now!

There may be one rookie WR in the entire NFL that contributes significantly to his team this season. To think both of ours will is funny.

If the Bengals signed Henry back I think I'd be pretty much done with them. They've given him chance after chance after chance and he's consistently fucked them all up. There is nothing on the table that says he can be trusted to stay out of trouble. I'm amazed at how many people "salivate" at the thought of him returning. Jesus. Chad wants more money and he's a fucking cocksucker that needs to be let go to another team yet you want a trouble maker that can't stay away from suspension long enough to find out if he can actually play or not. Fuckin' hell!
MULLY

[quote name='oldschooler' post='679931' date='Jul 18 2008, 10:33 AM'][url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/chickludwig/entries/2008/07/18/on_the_phone_with_chris_henry.html"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/s...hris_henry.html[/url][/quote]
[b]I THINK HE'S GOING TO FACE AT LEAST A 4 TO 8 GAME SUSPENSION FOR THIS LATEST BRUSH WITH THE LAW EVEN THOUGH CHARGES WERE DROPPED....[/b]

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='679952' date='Jul 18 2008, 11:59 AM']If the Bengals signed Henry back I think I'd be pretty much done with them. They've given him chance after chance after chance and he's consistently fucked them all up. There is nothing on the table that says he can be trusted to stay out of trouble. I'm amazed at how many people "salivate" at the thought of him returning. Jesus. Chad wants more money and he's a fucking cocksucker that needs to be let go to another team yet you want a trouble maker that can't stay away from suspension long enough to find out if he can actually play or not. Fuckin' hell!
MULLY[/quote]

Could you enlighten me as to what he's done wrong since his crime spree 2 years ago? I mean something not made up (failed drug test) or exxagerated in order to fleece him (latest assault charge).

I'm not really defending him, but I can't get too mad at him for punching some stupid frat kid who was getting all in his face and calling him a ni**er. Like I said, it seems the worst thing he has done in 2 years is hangout in Clifton..

I'm not confident he will stay out of trouble, but I'm not confident Chatman can stay healthy either. All things considered he's got a hell of a alot more talent than Chatman or Holt.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='679948' date='Jul 18 2008, 10:37 AM']OMG we had one receiver who contributed as a rookie, that means all of them will now!

There may be one rookie WR in the entire NFL that contributes significantly to his team this season. To think both of ours will is funny.[/quote]

Depends what you consider contributing. We really only need him to have a season similar to Anthony Gonzalez did for the Colts did last year. 400 to 500 yards, 3 to 5 TDs isn't really much to ask from a number 3 wide reciever. You have to figure Utecht is going to pick up some of those yards and TD's, and of Course Chad and TJ will want theirs. If you are looking for 1100 to 1200 yards, and 10 to 11 TDs, you're not going to get that, I don't think, but to get that, they would have to take yards away from some one.

[quote name='ccartman2' post='679955' date='Jul 18 2008, 12:08 PM']Depends what you consider contributing. We really only need him to have a season similar to Anthony Gonzalez did for the Colts did last year. 400 to 500 yards, 3 to 5 TDs isn't really much to ask from a number 3 wide reciever. You have to figure Utecht is going to pick up some of those yards and TD's, and of Course Chad and TJ will want theirs. If you are looking for 1100 to 1200 yards, and 10 to 11 TDs, you're not going to get that, I don't think, but to get that, they would have to take yards away from some one.[/quote]

400-500 yards is a hell of a lot to ask of a rookie WR.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='679948' date='Jul 18 2008, 10:37 AM']OMG we had one receiver who contributed as a rookie, that means all of them will now!

[color="#FF0000"]There may be one rookie WR in the entire NFL that contributes significantly to his team this season. [/color]To think both of ours will is funny.[/quote]

I have to agree with this, its rare for rookie WRs to contribute right away, its why they say it takes 3 years for a WR to get used to the NFL. I dont expect Simpson to contribute much other than in situational downs (like his jumping ability in the redzone) espessally concidering his small school status and how much different the NFL will be for him. Cadwell might contribute but even then I dont expect anything huge.

I'd take Henry back if he gets reinstated and put him on a zero tollarnce policy and make him the last WR to make the team having to earn his way back to a starting spot.

However I dont expect it to happen and think that this is all talk by his agent to drum up interest by other teams.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='679957' date='Jul 18 2008, 11:27 AM']400-500 yards is a hell of a lot to ask of a rookie WR.[/quote]

yea its tough to ask a guy to average 25yds a game, which considering caldwell and simpson's ability to go deep, can be as little as one catch a game.

I mean afterall, only 8 rookie wr's (and 3 rookie te's) did it last year. :shrug:

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='679994' date='Jul 18 2008, 03:48 PM']yea its tough to ask a guy to average 25yds a game, which considering caldwell and simpson's ability to go deep, can be as little as one catch a game.

I mean afterall, only 8 rookie wr's (and 3 rookie te's) did it last year. :shrug:[/quote]

Nope, only one a year, those are obviously lies.

[quote name='Dautcom08' post='679903' date='Jul 18 2008, 07:31 AM']Dude he's the #3 receiver. #3 play in a limited role. He doesn't need to be the superstar of the team. I'll take those two routes the way he's able to execute them from my #3 all day any day.

And saying they only asked Henry to run 2 routes is just dumb. You've never seen him running over hte middle? Running a post? Running and in or a dig? Do you watch this TEAM? If you couldn't see how Henry exploited his matchups while he was on the field then you needed to open your eyes. Don't discredit his talent because of what he's done off the field that's what you're trying to do. You bash him for "only being able to run 2 routes" and then call him a waste of talent. Which is it?[/quote]

I'm going to take Deon Sanders analysis over yours. I'm pretty sure he was asked to break down the bengals offense while with the Ravens and that's pretty much why the whole NFL Network seemed to telling the future against SF. Deon pretty much let the cat out of the bag that Henry is coming into the game to run the fly pattern or deep comeback. I'm sure he's run the other routes but he has never been able to carve out more of the game plan for himself.

I don't discredit his talent. I think his talent is huge and wasted. Part of the reason why he is vastly overrated by bengal fans.

I watch this team as much as anyone, it's kinda hard to exploit matchups when you're not with the team and when you are with the team you are not on the field and the OC is claiming you need to get into shape.

Don't you think it was kinda odd that the first 8 weeks just about every bengal fan was basically claiming the offense would hit another gear once Henry returned and yet he was barely used?

[quote name='Lucid' post='679954' date='Jul 19 2008, 01:04 AM']Could you enlighten me as to what he's done wrong since his crime spree 2 years ago? I mean something not made up (failed drug test) or exxagerated in order to fleece him (latest assault charge).

I'm not really defending him, but I can't get too mad at him for punching some stupid frat kid who was getting all in his face and calling him a ni**er. Like I said, it seems the worst thing he has done in 2 years is hangout in Clifton..

I'm not confident he will stay out of trouble, but I'm not confident Chatman can stay healthy either. All things considered he's got a hell of a alot more talent than Chatman or Holt.[/quote]

What has he done wrong? Well, as you said, charges were dropped. That shows that he was at least there. The fuckin guy needs to keep his ass away from that shit. I gotta tell ya, if I was contracted for millions of dollars to play football and I had some trouble in the past that had me on the hot seat to lose my job, I think I'd do my best to stay away from places where shit could go wrong for me. One other thing, he's under suspension right now and I seriously doubt that Goodell is going to allow him to be reinstated this season. He'll say the same thing that I just said.
MULLY
Minus the F word of course

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='680090' date='Jul 19 2008, 02:44 PM']What has he done wrong? Well, as you said, charges were dropped. That shows that he was at least there. The fuckin guy needs to keep his ass away from that shit. I gotta tell ya, if I was contracted for millions of dollars to play football and I had some trouble in the past that had me on the hot seat to lose my job, I think I'd do my best to stay away from places where shit could go wrong for me. One other thing, he's under suspension right now and I seriously doubt that Goodell is going to allow him to be reinstated this season. He'll say the same thing that I just said.
MULLY
Minus the F word of course[/quote]

Can't disagree... But you also agreed with me, that the worst thing he seems to have done is be in clifton (which he shouldn't do).

Please don't mistake me for a Henry supporter because I am far from it. I think the guy is a choad... He's just a talented choad who I think has more chance of contributing in a substantial way than Chatman or Holt.

Wasn't the story that this woman got into an argument with a guy, told him she was going to call Chris Henry to come over there and essentially kick his ass?

Then she called Henry and he came over.

Isn't that what she said happened, and if so, why the fuck would he go over there? That's not just minding your own business, somebody calls you a nigger and you punch him. That's idiocy beyond words to go there in the first place, especially if you're in Chris Henry's situation.

I don't think that necessarily makes him a bad guy, but it's hard to argue he isn't extremely stupid and when faced with a choice of how to react to situations, he often chooses the worst option.

Part of me says that at a minimum contract, it makes sense to take him over someone like Holt or Maxwell, but logic tells me to move on. Enough is enough. I guess I agree with whoever said that I won't be too upset either way.

[quote name='Lucid' post='680091' date='Jul 20 2008, 03:50 AM']Can't disagree... But you also agreed with me, that the worst thing he seems to have done is be in clifton (which he shouldn't do).

Please don't mistake me for a Henry supporter because I am far from it. I think the guy is a choad... He's just a talented choad who I think has more chance of contributing in a substantial way than Chatman or Holt.[/quote]

Sure, being in Clifton may be the worst thing he's done, but it's that situation that got him suspended. Even if the Bengals are willing to take a chance on his retarded ass there is no way that Goodell is letting him play this season. He'll give him the entire year just to make a point. I honestly don't think the Bengals can depend on him. god only knows when he's going to fuck up and get suspended again. I blame him for our 7-9 season. He missed the first half and wasn't ready for the second. Like Go said, we were 1 inch away here and there and in my opinion that one inch was Chris Henry. Good riddance to him.
MULLY

[quote][size=5][b]AFC North mailbag [/b][/size]

July 19, 2008 12:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

Thanks for the overwhelming response. Keep them coming. Readers can send all their questions and comments to our AFC North mailbag.

[b]Clayton from Reston writes:[/b] I see Chris Henry MIGHT be reinstated by the NFL. How likely is it that the Bengals will resign him especially after "Ocho Cincos" off season issues?

[b]James Walker:[/b] Henry is open to the idea and the Bengals are thinking about it. Much of it depends on how confident the coaching staff is in rookies Jerome Simpson and Andre Caldwell. The Bengals also have to consider the potential PR hit, although they could spin it by saying charges were dropped, so technically no transgression ever took place.

[b]Michael from Kristiansand, Norway writes:[/b] Something's not right with this Chris Henry situation, how can the Bengals do the right thing aftr showing so much patience with CH (they would have been crucified if they had waited for the legal system to play out)and CH could end up rewarded by landing with the cowboys, patriots or another top team while the Bengals get nothing from them. Can and would the commish require some type of compensation?

[b]James Walker:[/b] Michael, how many Bengals fans are in Norway? The Bengals can't get compensation for Henry. Cincinnati chose to cut Henry before the judicial system ran its course. It was a calculated risk because it was Henry's fifth arrest. It just turned out the team was wrong in this case because Henry was vindicated.

[b]Tom from Philadelphia writes:[/b] James, do you think there's ANY possibility that Chad Johnson could get traded to the Eagles?

[b]James Walker:[/b] Not this year. But I wouldn't rule out a trade in 2009 when Chad Johnson's salary-cap hit drops from $8 million to $4.865 million. Plus, "Ocho Cinco" will be treinta-y-uno (31) in January.[/quote]

[url="http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-8-261/AFC-North-mailbag.html"]http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-8-2...th-mailbag.html[/url]

The Bengals will never, ever, ever re-sign Chris Henry. I'm sorry, just not gonna happen.
Anyone who thinks otherwise, including this bozo at ESPN, is at best delusional, at worst is a fucking retard.

Chris Henry has a better shot of becoming the head of the Coalition for Family Values than he does suiting
up in a Bengals uniform ever again.
Yo Chris, just like Odell, you had a chance to become something great.
Instead you fucked it up for yourself and let down the fans. So go fuck yourself douchebag. Coulda woulda shoulda.

Archived