Bears Give Up Big Package For Cutler

oldschooler

[quote][size=5][b]Bears Give Up Big Package For Cutler[/b][/size]
Posted by Mike Florio on April 2, 2009, 5:20 p.m. EDT

Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com reports that the Chicago Bears have sent two first-round picks, a third-round pick, and quarterback Kyle Orton to the Broncos for quarterback Jay Cutler and a fifth-round draft pick.

The Bears held the 18th pick in the first round of the draft.

Per NFLPA records, Orton is signed through 2009, at a base salary of $995,000.[/quote]

[url="http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/02/bears-give-up-big-package-for-cutler/"]http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/02/...age-for-cutler/[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='760737' date='Apr 2 2009, 06:34 PM']M'eh.

Anyway, we play the Bears in Cincy this season.
And the Broncos too, for that matter.[/quote]
At least he didn't go to the Browns. Cutler is damn good

That's not that bad of a deal for Chicago. They have needed a franchise quarterback for close to 20 years now and finally have one. A mid first, a 3rd, a backup QB and what is likely to be a late first next year isn't all that bad.

They were in desperate need of a QB and might have had to reach for somebody like Josh Freeman there. If you think of it that way, Freeman plus a 1st and 3rd for Cutler doesn't sound as bad.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='760753' date='Apr 2 2009, 06:01 PM']The Broncos have Neck Beard as their starting quarterback now..... :lol:

Great start to your career McDaniels[/quote]
They might trade a pick for Stafford or Sanchez . New coach,new start . I wonder if they'd be interested @ 6 .

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='760742' date='Apr 2 2009, 06:49 PM']I had a hunch it would be the bears.

Denver made out like bandits. Cutler's pretty good, but I'm not convinced he's a franchise QB, and he's certainly not worth what they got for him.[/quote]

well i had you beat! i had a hunch that the bears were going to offer
the broncos 2 first rd picks a 3rd rd and kyle orton ;)

I'm surprised Denver moved Cutler so quickly or that Detroit didn't outbid Chicago. The Lions could offer more this season and Denver might like to stick Cutler in the motor city.

Anyway, this is probably mildly good news for the Bengals. Denver will be weaker this year. Chicago will have better QB play but they also have O-line and receiver issues. As mentioned, if Denver wants to trade up for a QB, it gives them more ammo.

[quote name='Mu Shu' post='760760' date='Apr 2 2009, 07:07 PM']Kind of good news for the Bengals.

Denver has two first round picks now. Maybe they would be a potential trading partner if they covet Sanchez, because Sanchez is doubtful to fall to them.[/quote]
Doesn't look like it. Denver didn't even go to USC's pro day and there not really that far from USC..

Good move for the bears. I disagree with people who think they gave up so much.

They gave up Orton, who they don't need now anyway beause they replaced him with Cutler. The first pick from this year is more than cancelled out by the addition of Cutler because they would not have gotten a QB nearly as good at #18. You can count cutler as their 1st round pick for this draft. That's a steal.

So basically they only gave up a 3rd rounder this year and a 1st rounder next year and they get back a 5th rounder. There's a chance that it won't even be a very high 1st rounder that they have to give up.

[quote name='Jason' post='760783' date='Apr 2 2009, 04:57 PM']I hope the bears get a good WR with their second round pick, or Cutler will go to waste.[/quote]

Disagree - with the Bears defense all the QB has to do is make a few plays and not screw up.
They want to run the ball and uncork a few big passes a game.

You don't need elite WRs for that. Best to spend the rest of the money elsewhere.

Archived