Bears Give Up Big Package For Cutler

oldschooler

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='760796' date='Apr 2 2009, 08:31 PM']Cutler was a whiney lil bitch that the players didnt like for the most part.....His numbers with the talent he had at receivers?? 25-18 TD INT ratio.
Hell Orton will put up those and maybe better...
Bears got taken.[/quote]

Yes he is a punk diva. But he is a rare talent with a rocket are. I think the Bears gave up too much, but they have a 25 year old pro bowl qb who could be a franchise qb for the next 10-12 years.

This just might put Da Bears over the top ?

[quote name='T-Dub' post='760809' date='Apr 2 2009, 08:04 PM']No offense but "rocket arm" is useless if you're rocketing the ball 50 yards down the field into a Cover 2.[/quote]

Matt Forte had a great rookie year and is on his way to being a very good RB.

[quote name='bubba' post='760805' date='Apr 2 2009, 07:59 PM']Yes he is a punk diva. But he is a rare talent with a rocket are. I think the Bears gave up too much, but they have a 25 year old pro bowl qb who could be a franchise qb for the next 10-12 years.

[b]This just might put Da Bears over the top ?[/b][/quote]
I don't think so, although if you listen to the sports talk up here, they're already pencilling the Bears into the Super Bowl. It's like the world's biggest peep booth where everyone seems to be jerking off all over themselves.

Anyway, I love Cutler's talent, but he's proven himself to be anything but a leader. I really think he's this decade's Jeff George. In fact, the interviews I've heard with Bears players suggest that they're skeptical without actualy saying it. Their excitement is restrained, ant that's being generous. Then again, I'm not sure I'd be thrilled if my new "leader" and face of the franchise is coming from a situation where he pouted like a baby and effectively took his toys and went home. Plus, he gets to substitute Brandon Marshall for Devin Hester and Eddie Royal for Brandon Lloyd. Good luck with that, homey.

And their defense is getting old with players of questionable health. Harris may never be the same, Urlacher is old, and their defensive ends are either at the end of their rope (Ogunlyea (sp?), already to their full potential (Alex Brown), or one year wonders (Anderson). They're o.k. although not spectacular at corner, and they're solid at LB with Briggs. And Urlacher still has game, although he's getting old like I mentioned. They could probably use an upgrade for Hillenmeyer. Anyway, second place if they're lucky.

[quote name='Jason' post='760813' date='Apr 2 2009, 09:23 PM']Matt Forte had a great rookie year and is on his way to being a very good RB.[/quote]

I was more questioning Cutler's decision making.

Last year he threw 28 TD's and 18 INT's with a QB rating of 86. He was sacked 11 times and had 5 fumbles.

In '07 he threw 20 TD's and 14 INT's with a QB rating of 88. He was also sacked 27 times and had 11 fumbles.

Maybe Chicago's O-line are better in pass protection than Denver's, I really don't know.

I don't necessarily think Chicago got robbed. They are getting a proven good QB and giving up two overpaid prospects. But as I say every year around this time, first round draft picks are a huge gamble that are just as (probably more) likely to waste millions of dollars as they are to actually perform at a high level.

[quote name='T-Dub' post='760825' date='Apr 2 2009, 08:48 PM']I was more questioning Cutler's decision making.

Last year he threw 28 TD's and 18 INT's with a QB rating of 86. He was sacked 11 times and had 5 fumbles.

In '07 he threw 20 TD's and 14 INT's with a QB rating of 88. He was also sacked 27 times and had 11 fumbles.

Maybe Chicago's O-line are better in pass protection than Denver's, I really don't know.

I don't necessarily think Chicago got robbed. They are getting a proven good QB and giving up two overpaid prospects. But as I say every year around this time, first round draft picks are a huge gamble that are just as (probably more) likely to waste millions of dollars as they are to actually perform at a high level.[/quote]

If you've got a good running game it's a lot tougher for opposing defenses to play cover-2. I still think the bears need another WR to take full advantage of Cutler, but I do think they will be a much better team in 2009.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='760753' date='Apr 2 2009, 06:01 PM']The Broncos have Neck Beard as their starting quarterback now..... :lol:

Great start to your career McDaniels[/quote]

i think it is a great start. he didnt want cutler at QB and he was able to get a SHIT LOAD of picks.

[quote name='Mu Shu' post='760769' date='Apr 2 2009, 06:19 PM']Holy crap. Chicago just signed Orlando Pace too.

Bear fans must be pretty geeked right about now.[/quote]

pace sucks, bears gave up way too much for a QB. id be pissed if i was a bears fan. they are a running team with a great D. giving up all that for a QB si fucking retarded.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='760840' date='Apr 2 2009, 10:04 PM']pace sucks, bears gave up way too much for a QB. id be pissed if i was a bears fan. they are a running team with a great D. giving up all that for a QB si fucking retarded.[/quote]

What did they give up other than Kyle Orton and 20-30 million dollars worth of "maybe"?

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='760830' date='Apr 2 2009, 09:57 PM']too bad the whole Raji thing happened. I think we probably had a good shot at getting that 3rd rounder (or better yet Denver's original) and another pick as well from Denver for them to move up and grab Raji. Now, they very well might be able to get him at #12.[/quote]

agree

[quote name='T-Dub' post='760844' date='Apr 2 2009, 09:14 PM']What did they give up other than Kyle Orton and 20-30 million dollars worth of "maybe"?[/quote]

the percentage of 1st and 2nd rounders who have less than 5 year career in the league is less than 10% so 90% chance you get a good contributing player.

there isnt much "maybe" there...

first round picks are not much of a maybe...the only real risk is injury..... hell even most 3rd rounders contribute for a while.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' post='760876' date='Apr 2 2009, 11:50 PM']it's a done deal now. it's on nfl.com[/quote]
It's been a done deal for a few hours now Rumble ;)

But for people saying Chicago gave up too much or got he best out of the trade, I think people will only know in a few years and how the draft picks turn out. It may sound like a lot of picks for Chicago to give but you got to look moe into it. Cutler still is young and is on the rise. He'll be better than Stafford or Sanchez for sure. I don't think there really is a QB in the draft this year that could take Cutler's spot. Denver IMO, got screwed first but they better be praying that Chicago busts this upcoming year. Their future depends on it. If Chicago were to bust and maybe finish like 5-11? Top 10 pick possibly next year for Denver. It all depends on how the draft picks unfold. Hell, Cutler could break his leg in the preseason :P

[quote name='GoBengals' post='760859' date='Apr 2 2009, 11:09 PM']the percentage of 1st and 2nd rounders who have less than 5 year career in the league is less than 10% so 90% chance you get a good contributing player.

first round picks are not much of a maybe...the only real risk is injury..... hell even most 3rd rounders contribute for a while.[/quote]

Sure there is; a first round pick automatically gets paid like a top player at their position. Simply lasting 5 years in the league does not equate to the top-tier contract guaranteed to any first round pick without having ever taken a snap.

I would say a proven franchise QB is easily worth twice as much as a 1st round pick.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='760859' date='Apr 2 2009, 11:09 PM']the percentage of 1st and 2nd rounders who have less than 5 year career in the league is less than 10% so 90% chance you get a good contributing player.

first round picks are not much of a maybe...the only real risk is injury..... hell even most 3rd rounders contribute for a while.[/quote]

True but at the QB position the numbers have to be much worse and certainly, few 1st rounders contribute much the first year. QB is the one position that you typically either play or do not contribute at all except in practice. The rest of the positions on the field (besides kickers) allow for situational substitution, giving a guy a breather, etc... Unless there is an injury few backups ever see much real playing time and there are only a handful of good QBs in the league.

Cutler is a good QB and a known quantity. He can learn a complicated offense, reads defenses pretty well and has all the physical talent in the world. Not too excited with some of his off the field behavior (some of the stuff has to be true) and he might have the Jeff George bug (which would be bad).

I guess we will see. Until I see how he plays its tough to judge the Bears. A franchise QB is a wonderful thing to have as we all learned the hard way last year. A healthy Palmer would certainly be worth everything the Bears gave up.

[quote name='T-Dub' post='760890' date='Apr 2 2009, 11:59 PM']Sure there is; a first round pick automatically gets paid like a top player at their position. Simply lasting 5 years in the league does not equate to the top-tier contract guaranteed to any first round pick without having ever taken a snap.

I would say a proven franchise QB is easily worth twice as much as a 1st round pick.[/quote]

[quote name='SF2' post='760892' date='Apr 3 2009, 12:12 AM']True but at the QB position the numbers have to be much worse and certainly, few 1st rounders contribute much the first year. QB is the one position that you typically either play or do not contribute at all except in practice. The rest of the positions on the field (besides kickers) allow for situational substitution, giving a guy a breather, etc... Unless there is an injury few backups ever see much real playing time and there are only a handful of good QBs in the league.

Cutler is a good QB and a known quantity. He can learn a complicated offense, reads defenses pretty well and has all the physical talent in the world. Not too excited with some of his off the field behavior (some of the stuff has to be true) and he might have the Jeff George bug (which would be bad).

I guess we will see. Until I see how he plays its tough to judge the Bears. A franchise QB is a wonderful thing to have as we all learned the hard way last year. A healthy Palmer would certainly be worth everything the Bears gave up.[/quote]

there is definitely truth to both points here, but first the auto payday, past, say the first 5-6 guys taken is not all that serious guaranteed. rivers got 6 years 23 mil total.... with the cap as high as it is, its not that serious over the year span unless its a top 3 pick...

as for the QB hard to find issue. a qb isnt a hero on his own.. if cutler were just traded to the lions.. what would you guess his production would be? he is an oline injury or two away from have a 2800 passing yard season being sacked 30 times...

he had a mediocre 5 first games, a very very average-ish 2nd yr/full season.. anda good-ish year last year, 25td/18INT is "throw your draft at him" numbers, ons of yards, yea, but he wasnt elway creating awesomeness, he did well.. but not worth what they got for him.

put the right group around jon kitna and he damn near makes the pro bowl....

cutlers success is a bit over-rated so far.. 2 years in the bears system will define who he is as a QB.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='760900' date='Apr 3 2009, 01:36 AM']as for the QB hard to find issue. a qb isnt a hero on his own.. if cutler were just traded to the lions.. what would you guess his production would be? he is an oline injury or two away from have a 2800 passing yard season being sacked 30 times...

he had a mediocre 5 first games, a very very average-ish 2nd yr/full season.. anda good-ish year last year, 25td/18INT is "throw your draft at him" numbers, ons of yards, yea, but he wasnt elway creating awesomeness, he did well.. but not worth what they got for him.

put the right group around jon kitna and he damn near makes the pro bowl....

cutlers success is a bit over-rated so far.. 2 years in the bears system will define who he is as a QB.[/quote]

Again I pretty much agree here. He had some average games but he has had some good ones too. Lets not forget this will only be his fourth year in the league and if you look at his numbers, he has had 3 very good seasons to start off his career compared to most QBs.

In the Bears defense at least they know what they are getting as opposed to "thinking" they are getting the future of the franchise. I think the guy has a ton of upside but his off the field stuff (many rumors) makes me pause a bit. You never heard stuff like that about Manning, Brees, Palmer, Brady etc..

It took many of the best QBs a few years to finally get it right and Cutler is not far from being a top tier QB. Did the Bears stretch a little? Yeah I think so. Could they come out smelling like roses? Sure.

[quote]Again I pretty much agree here. He had some average games but he has had some good ones too. Lets not forget this will only be his fourth year in the league and if you look at his numbers, he has had 3 very good seasons to start off his career compared to most QBs.[/quote]

Thus the reason why I think the Bears got screwed. They traded for him like he was Peyton in his 4th year.

I think he'll flop, not because he's a bad Qb, because you just lumped the expectations of a proven great QB on a guy I would term middle pack starter that might be better.

To Go's point, everything you hear about in Chicago has been Qb this and QB that. Rarely is it always 100% or even 80% the QBs fault. I think he'll go to lesser supporting cast including coaches and offensive system he's had in Denver.

It will all play out, but I think Denver got a deal.

I think it is a good deal for Da Bears. They have the cocky big arm QB now that the city will LOVE. They are going to put Hester at WR and let him run under Cutler's passes. Pace still has some left in the tank and their D is tough. Olsen and Forte will be even better. I think they will be favorites in the NFC.

[quote][size=5][b][url="http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/02/next-up-for-broncos-a-move-up-in-round-one/"][color="#d81718"]Next Up For Broncos A Move Up In Round One?[/color][/url][/b][/size]

Posted by Mike Florio on April 2, 2009, 7:56 p.m.

The Broncos have emerged from the Jay Cutler fiasco with two first-round picks: No. 12 and No. 18.

So the next question is whether the Broncos will slap those two picks together and try to move in position to get one of the top two quarterbacks in the draft — Matthew Stafford and Mark Sanchez.

Under the [url="http://www.profootballtalk.com/draft/draft-trade-chart/"][color="#d81718"]outdated trade chart[/color][/url], the 12th pick is worth 1,200 points and the 18th pick is worth 900. This gives the Broncos (hang on while I get my calculator) 2,100 points. That puts them 100 south of the third spot, 300 north of No. 4.

So with the Rams unlikely to take a quarterback at No. 2, the Broncos could get in position to get whichever quarterback the Lions don’t take (if they take a quarterback) by trading up with the Chiefs at No. 3 or the Seahawks at No. 4.

Typically, division rivals shy away from transacting business. The connection between Broncos coach Josh McDaniels and Chiefs G.M. Scott Pioli could help. But Pioli’s ultimate willingness likely will be influenced by his own evaluation of Stafford/Sanchez — and by the question of whether the Chiefs can trade down with someone else.

If, for example, Pioli thinks that one or both of them will become the next Tom Brady, Pioli won’t be inclined to put himself in position to play the kid twice per year. So don’t be surprised if the Chiefs bring in one of both players for a visit.

Another factor would be whether the Chiefs really want to use the third overall pick. Our guess is that Pioli would trade down for more picks if he could, based on how he did business in New England.

Regardless, the drama will continue in Denver. Unless they think Kyle Orton is the answer.

OK, I think I peed a little while laughing at that one.[/quote]

[url="http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/02/next-up-for-broncos-a-move-up-in-round-one/"]http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/02/...p-in-round-one/[/url]

Archived