Which RB makes the team?

76 members have voted

1. 1. Who winds up being the third Runningback?

• DeDe Dorsey
    • Brian Leonard
    • James Johnson
    • They find a way to keep 2

Alright, amatuer GMs, here are the facts:

[b]DeDe Dorsey[/b] has had 155 yards on 24 attempts (a 6.5 YPC average), no TDs, and no receptions. He doesn't seem to play on many obvious passing downs, so I would guess his pass blocking is suspect. He is, however, absolutely sensational on special teams, with a blocked punt and a touchdown last night.

[b]Brian Leonard[/b] has had 114 yards on 26 carried (a 4.4 YPC average), 2 TDs, and 4 receptions for 44 yards. He isa better pass blocker, but isn't as explosive as Dorsey on special teams.

[b]James Johnson[/b] has had 102 yards on 23 carries (a 4.4 YPC average), with no TDs and no receptions. Played sparingly last season. I would frankly be shocked if he makes it over the other two, but in previous years, he could have been our #3 RB.

This is the most heated position battle I can recall the Bengals having in recent memory. Personally, though, I want them to find a way to keep Leonard and Dorsey. If it comes down to one, I think I am in Leonard's camp.

[quote name='#22' date='04 September 2009 - 12:47 PM' timestamp='1252082834' post='798183']
Alright, amatuer GMs, here are the facts:

[b]DeDe Dorsey[/b] has had 155 yards on 24 attempts (a 6.5 YPC average), no TDs, and no receptions. He doesn't seem to play on many obvious passing downs, so I would guess his pass blocking is suspect. He is, however, absolutely sensational on special teams, with a blocked punt and a touchdown last night.

[b]Brian Leonard[/b] has had 114 yards on 26 carried (a 4.4 YPC average), 2 TDs, and 4 receptions for 44 yards. He isa better pass blocker, but isn't as explosive as Dorsey on special teams.

[b]James Johnson[/b] has had 102 yards on 23 carries (a 4.4 YPC average), with no TDs and no receptions. Played sparingly last season. I would frankly be shocked if he makes it over the other two, but in previous years, he could have been our #3 RB.

This is the most heated position battle I can recall the Bengals having in recent memory. [b]Personally, though, I want them to find a way to keep Leonard and Dorsey. If it comes down to one, I think I am in Leonard's camp.[/b][/quote]

Agreed on all counts.

Usually we keep 3 Rbs 1 FB 3 TEs...so 7 in those three positions.

I think our 7 best guys at this point in time are (or guys we have to keep)

Benson
Scott
Jeremi
Coats
Coffman
Leonard
DD

So I say keep those 7 guys...they are saying we might keep 2 FBs but when have we ever done that? I say keep Jeremi, and I think we could get either pressley or Fui on the practice squad. If anything happens to Jeremi then bring one of those guys up.

2 TEs is all we need at this point.

4 running backs I think is the route we should go. Benson carrying the load and giving up some carries to Scott. Leonard playing a little on 3rd down depending on the situation and some ST. DeDe getting a couple touches a game and also playing on ST. Maybe he gets another punt block/td like he has twice now and it could be a game changer in a big game.

This route we have a guy that could take Benson's place as the workhorse if he gets hurt (Leonard) and I guy that could take Scotts place as the change of pace guy if he gets hurt (DeDe).

I think this is the best route to go. Thoughts?

I'm hoping they wise up and decide to go with 4 RB's and 1 FB rather than 3 RB's and 2 FB's. Jeremi has been solid and is holding down the FB spot and can be backed up by Leonard and Coates if need be.

If I have to choose one, give me Leonard. He can pick up the blitz, and if they are serious about running the ball and being a physical team, he makes more sense for our division.

James Johnson has no chance of making the 53.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='04 September 2009 - 02:00 PM' timestamp='1252083655' post='798194']
I'm hoping they wise up and decide to go with 4 RB's and 1 FB rather than 3 RB's and 2 FB's. Jeremi has been solid and is holding down the FB spot and can be backed up by Leonard and Coates if need be.

If I have to choose one, give me Leonard. He can pick up the blitz, and if they are serious about running the ball and being a physical team, he makes more sense for our division.

James Johnson has no chance of making the 53.
[/quote]

I feel kinda bad that we kept James Johnson for so long...he would have been better suited getting cut early and then having a chance to fight for a roster spot on another team. But keeping him this long made sense too just in case of injuries. I do think he has some talent though, just not enough to get a spot on this team.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='04 September 2009 - 02:04 PM' timestamp='1252083860' post='798196']
I feel kinda bad that we kept James Johnson for so long...he would have been better suited getting cut early and then having a chance to fight for a roster spot on another team. But keeping him this long made sense too just in case of injuries. I do think he has some talent though, just not enough to get a spot on this team.
[/quote]

'eh its a business. Say Dorsey doesn't make the cut. JJ is your insurance policy to stash on the PS (assuming he doesn't get plucked as well).

I want Triple D. Everytime he plays he makees things happen. The problem is, he can't stay healthy. Also keep in mind that his and Scotts skillset are very similar.

I think the coaches will lean towards BL. They traded for him and he can fill several roles, RB, FB, ST's and can catch.

Johnson still practice squad elgible?

Benson
Scott
Leonard
JJ
Fui

I normally wouldnt want to keep 2 fullbacks but my opinion has changed this year. Although JJ has been pretty good I dont trust him for whatever reason to A) make it through an entire season, B) stay healthy. Although Leonard COULD play backup full back I think we would be screwed if he had to play it as a full time thing and we saw the experiment gone wrong last year with Coats. I also think what makes him great would be hurt by having to play fullback.

DeDe is a smaller, less physical version of Scott and I cant see how they can keep 4 backs out of a 53 man roster. There is no way they could have 4 backs be part of the game day 45, its a luxury they dont have right now being thin at other positions. DeDe does bring great things to the club on offense and special teams but I just dont see his making it. Losing Reggie might have hurt him the most w/ the goal of being a much more physical running team I think they need the extra fullback since they have two TE's that arent exactly known for their blocking at this point of their careers. Now if they pick up a 3rd TE who is the blocker from waivers that could change the need for only 1 fb but that wouldnt happen till after DeDe was gone.

The problems with only keeping 1 FB is that They don't run many plays without either a TE or a FB. Jeremi (or whoever makes the team as a Full back) is going to get in on a lot more plays than he would have in the past, simply because the Bengals lack that great blocking Tight End. They may have to keep 2 to keep Jeremi from falling apart during the season and from getting gassed during all of the extra plays he will be getting.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='04 September 2009 - 01:54 PM' timestamp='1252083255' post='798189']
Usually we keep 3 Rbs 1 FB 3 TEs...so 7 in those three positions.

I think our 7 best guys at this point in time are (or guys we have to keep)

Benson
Scott
Jeremi
Coats
Coffman
Leonard
DD

So I say keep those 7 guys...[b]they are saying we might keep 2 FBs but when have we ever done that?[/b] I say keep Jeremi, and I think we could get either pressley or Fui on the practice squad. If anything happens to Jeremi then bring one of those guys up.

2 TEs is all we need at this point.

4 running backs I think is the route we should go. Benson carrying the load and giving up some carries to Scott. Leonard playing a little on 3rd down depending on the situation and some ST. DeDe getting a couple touches a game and also playing on ST. Maybe he gets another punt block/td like he has twice now and it could be a game changer in a big game.

This route we have a guy that could take Benson's place as the workhorse if he gets hurt (Leonard) and I guy that could take Scotts place as the change of pace guy if he gets hurt (DeDe).

I think this is the best route to go. Thoughts?
[/quote]

We kept two fullbacks in 2005. Jeremi Johnson and Nick Luchey. I think they also did it one other time in the Marvin era but I can't remember what year. Still, not a big fan of the idea.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='04 September 2009 - 02:04 PM' timestamp='1252083860' post='798196']
[/quote]

I think they will try to stash him on the PS, as long as he is eligible for it and no one gets him.

[quote name='#22' date='04 September 2009 - 03:52 PM' timestamp='1252090326' post='798235']
The problems with only keeping 1 FB is that They don't run many plays without either a TE or a FB. Jeremi (or whoever makes the team as a Full back) is going to get in on a lot more plays than he would have in the past, simply because the Bengals lack that great blocking Tight End. They may have to keep 2 to keep Jeremi from falling apart during the season and from getting gassed during all of the extra plays he will be getting.
[/quote]

You can always stash one on the PS. I doubt both of our Rookies get picked up. Not that big of a demand for FBs in the league.

They keep two. Although judging from Marvins "he blocked a punt a couple of years ago" comment, for some reason they have a hard-on for extraordinarily rare ST moments. In which case it might be Dorsey if they only keep one.

Leonard would be my pick if they've only got one.

[quote]Bears running back Kevin Jones to miss season
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 4, 2009 4:45 PM ET

Bears running back Kevin Jones has suffered another devastating injury.

The backup to Matt Forte will miss the entire 2009 season with a torn ligament in his ankle suffered on Thursday night.

After a solid start to his career, Jones has now sustained a Lisfranc fracture in his foot, a torn ACL, and now this ankle injury.

His recovery period will take up to ten months. Jones re-signed in Chicago in March, and is due $1.15 million in base salary in 2010.

With Jones out for the year, Chicago will roll with Garrett Wolfe and Adrian Peterson as Matt Forte's backups. [b]Peterson looked unlikely to make the team before, so it's possible the Bears will be watching the wire for running back help.[/b][/quote]

Wonder what they have to trade in a TE or CB

[quote name='CougarQuest' date='04 September 2009 - 06:12 PM' timestamp='1252098756' post='798273']
Wonder what they have to trade in a TE or CB
[/quote]

i doubt any trade could be made with cut down day coming everywhere.. Although it's a great idea.

i dont see how anyone thinks dorsey > leonard. dorsey is a lesser of bernard scott and dorsey always gets hurt. leonard has the best hands in the backfield and is our only reliable blitz pickup RB and carsons protection > anything else you can possibly list. plus leonard plays special teams but he plays more physical areas and dorsey plays the speed areas of special teams.

Leonard. He's more of a utility player and can stay in to pick up a blitz, which has been a nagging problem for this offense. He's also the better back between the tackles, should Ced miss time. That's pretty important in the AFC North.

At this point it seems to me 3D would just end up cutting into Scott's carries.

From my perspective, the way the roster shakes out, the battle doesn't seem to be Leonard vs Dorsey so much as Dorsey vs Fui or Pressley.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='04 September 2009 - 06:57 PM' timestamp='1252101466' post='798283']
i dont see how anyone thinks dorsey > leonard. dorsey is a lesser of bernard scott and dorsey always gets hurt. leonard has the best hands in the backfield and is our only reliable blitz pickup RB and carsons protection > anything else you can possibly list. plus leonard plays special teams but he plays more physical areas and dorsey plays the speed areas of special teams.
[/quote]
I wouldn't say leonard is the only reliable blitz pickup guy as I think Benson is pretty solid.

Benson, Scott, and Leonard are 3 backs with different styles of play...DD has pure breakaway speed, but Scott has that also, and DD doesn't have Scott's change of direction. DD overlaps the other backs but doesn't stand out, in terms of running the ball. Thats why I think keeping the other 3 makes the most sense for our run game. DD can bring something to the 'teams game though and its going to boil down to if they wan't that 'teams potential over another FB.

Marvins quote in the latest Hard Knocks

[quote]Dorsey adds more, because he's got more ability. We know he blocked a punt for us a couple of years ago. So we know he can do some of these other things for us if he were on the 53 & the 45.[/quote]

[img]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n224/blaine95/dedeblockspuntscoresagainstcolts.jpg[/img]

Archived