Bengals interested in adding Kosar to their staff?

Apparently, there's rumors that Bernie Kosar is / has talked to the Bengals and the Patriots regarding a position on their respective staffs.

[url="http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/index.ssf/2011/01/bernie_kosar_could_join_the_ne.html"]Cleveland.com report[/url]

Despite the fact that he always sounds like he's drunk, he'd probably be a pretty decent QB coach. He's also desperate for money after his divorce, failed financial moves, etc..., so he'll go to the highest bidder.

It will be interesting to hear the pissing and moaning of the fans in Cleveland if he joins the Bengals staff.

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1296157945' post='966126']
If he wanted to work for the real Browns he'd go to Baltimore...
[/quote]

I don't think he has very good relations with the real Browns of Baltimore anymore. As far as the current Browns of Cleveland.... he was working on something with them until Holmgren's hiring. It was some sort of consulting gig he had and I don't think they were interested in him as a coach because they wanted to move forward from their past connections with older players.

Jim Zorn just came available...

[quote]Source: Ravens release Jim Zorn
By Adam Schefter
ESPN.com

The Baltimore Ravens have released quarterback coach Jim Zorn, a league source said Thursday.

Zorn's role on the team was not a fit for either side, the source said.

Zorn, who was the head coach of the Washington Redskins in 2008 and 2009, is expected to draw interest from other teams.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6065724[/url]

It sounds more like a scout or player development role. Not a coaching role as he speaks of evaluating players for certain teams and how he is gaining respect around the league in that area. He says he is at the Senior Bowl and he pointed out someone that he had recommended to the Saints and how well that player is turning out. I beleive it was their 3rd round pick but I do not know if it was last seaons ------and yes, he sounds really bad.

Does he have a health issue as he sounds drunk/stoned or at least punch drunk?

[quote][size="5"][b]Latest name in the rumor mill: Bernie Kosar[/b][/size]

Posted by jreedy 01/27/11, 6:22 pm

Former Browns, Cowboys and Dolphins quarterback Bernie Kosar has been spotted at the Senior Bowl this week and WKNR in Cleveland reports one of the teams interested in him might be the Bengals.

The station also reported last month that Kosar was being considered as a head coaching candidate at the University of Miami, where he went to school, but that was unfounded.

On an interview on the station’s morning show, Kosar made no mention of working with the Bengals but said that a couple teams had invited him down. The Boston Globe reported that Kosar has been inquiring about a coaching job with the Patriots the past couple weeks.

Recently, Kosar had been a consultant with the Browns and had done commentary the past four years on their preseason television broadcasts. His only front-office experience is being team president and CEO of the Cleveland Gladiators Arena Football League team for a season. He also has had huge financial difficulties the past four years.[/quote]

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2011/01/27/latest-name-in-the-rumor-mill-bernie-kosar/

Well, I guess I should find out why in the world anyone would be interested in Bernie Kosar or at least interested enough to interview. Something on his resume must have caught someones eye right ? Or is it really about Bernie and maybe some self serving purpose to make it look like there is movement on the Bengals organization ? Don't know but I looked for over half day on what I could find and really found nothing but a couple interesting things.

He was always making up his own plays, in Cleveland it cost him his job and was released by Billicheat.

He had a neat song about him called Bernie Bernie sung to the tune of "Louie Louie." Get your vomit bags ready...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX7FKDI-fGQ[/media]

He ran a Steahouse in Miami and I think he had one in Cleveland too. Guess Shula was not the only one to do so.

He earned (played 4 games) a Super Bowl ring with the Cowboys as a backup to Aikman.

Divorced in 2007, she received 3 million in settlement.

Kosar listed $9.2 million in assets and $18.9 million in debt in court documents filed Sept. 23 (2009). Bankruptcy Court documents (and also Cleveland Leader). According to the filing, he owed $1.5 million to the Cleveland Browns, $3 million to his ex-wife, and $9 million to a bank for bad real estate deals. He also had to repay a loan of $725,000 to the owner of the arena football team the Cleveland Gladiators.

On October 17, 2009, Kosar was hired as a consultant for the Cleveland Browns. Was this hiring the result of his debt to the Browns and the only way they could get their money was to bring him in ?

Sometime in 2009 his steakhouse went out of business.

Numerous reports of him being drunk during interviews.

[quote]Bernie Kosar's wife asked a judge to order one of Cleveland's favorite former quarterbacks to undergo a psychiatric exam.

She also asked the judge to have Kosar tested for drugs amid an ugly divorce unfolding in a Florida court.

Whether Kosar had to do either is unclear, but he told the Miami Herald that he still loves his wife, Babette, and hopes their marriage can be saved even now, seven months after she filed for divorce.

Babette Kosar's request for the tests has been sealed at Bernie Kosar's request and most of the court records are not available on the Broward County court's Web site.[/quote]

[quote]divorce papers were filed only after he sold his company for $60 million. He said lawyers timed it perfectly. [/quote]

Other than the usual stuff which is easily pulled up from Wiki or other places...

There is this guy named Dr. John Geletka that was Kosar's agent then later his "advisor." Have not seen him pop up with Kosar since he dropped off the radar around the time of the Kosar/Ferre divorce. This guy was in on almost evry deal Kosar made in the football community and business. If this is the same guy I am thinking of he [b]might be [/b]a dentist in Youngstown currently (not sure, no dates are popping up). At one time in life Bernie sold a business for 60 million. His business smarts come from somewhere. I think that person was Geletka. Now, if the Bengals can get this Geletka guy to come in as a package deal, I would certainly be willing to listen. Otherwise, we don't need a potential screwup as a coach for obvious reasons.

When I first posted this I forgot about the Gladiators side of his life. Even though he's been open in the past about wanting to help the Browns QBs, I think it's in the Front Office type of role that he's interested in. I think he really enjoyed that part of it before the Arena League went belly up.

I don't expect anything to come of it but maybe he's someone they were looking at adding to help with the scouting of college players rather than as a member of the coaching staff.

Archived