Dalton is GARBAGE!

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1314008303' post='1019056']

Bingo! Dalton is going to suck ass this year.

I think its funny people rush to trash him and then the turd polishers rush to defend him.

They once had the common sense to sit the drafts best qb who would have played in a much more talented and experienced offense.

That future qb looked like ass in his first real starts.

This is going to be awesome the entire year. The people that want hate Dalton are going to have plenty of materail.
[/quote]

I bet Dalton and Carson have completely different personalities. From everything I have read, getting his ass kicked isn't going to make him quit, but make him work harder. Dalton at starter is the right move.

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1314014531' post='1019068']
Did he get hit a lot...have to rush throws...or was the interior protection better than last week?

I didn't see the game last night.
[/quote]

at first look, I thought the Oline held up very well against a good Jets D. Better than I expected them to.

Biggest culprit was dropped balls by WR's (I counted at least 5), and Dalton also didn't seem to adjust well to the rain. Simpson had another long catch that he couldn't get his feet down for.

Said way back towards the beginning of the thread and I will say it again.
Dalton needs a pro to groom him. Then he will be fine. Without it... dare I say it?... mediocre, at best... the Bengal trademark of the Marvin years.
Like it or admit it or not.
Palmer had Kitna who was a stats quarterback (good stats, not good production... it was not how many ints he threw, it was when he
threw them and I don't think the fumbles snaps at critical times showed).
I think Klingler could have been a lot better than he was with a better surrounding cast (Carl Prickins pouting about going in the second round
and Kling taken over him for starts- woeful O line) and Boomer around to groom him.
Akili was a train wreck from the beginning.

Save the smarmy and not very objective remarks and I know it won't happen but
the best thing this team could do now is get out the Chap Stick and kiss Carson's patoot to come back.
Carson grooming Dalton for a year or two would be the best thing to happen to Andy Dalton's career (I like Dalton, btw)
and the Cincinnati Bengals long term.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_NFL_season"]1998[/url] IND 16 16 3 326 575[color=red][size=1][b][sup]†[/sup][/b][/size][/color] 56.7 3,739 6.5 26 28[color=red][size=1][b][sup]†[/sup][/b][/size][/color] 15 62 4.1 0 71.2

I bet in 1998 people were bitching about this rookie too. Didn't turn out too bad for them. Give the boy some time.

[quote name='High School Harry' timestamp='1314014908' post='1019071']
Said way back towards the beginning of the thread and I will say it again.
[b]Dalton needs a pro to groom him.[/b] Then he will be fine. Without it... dare I say it?... mediocre, at best... the Bengal trademark of the Marvin years.
Like it or admit it or not.
Palmer had Kitna who was a stats quarterback (good stats, not good production... it was not how many ints he threw, it was when he
threw them and I don't think the fumbles snaps at critical times showed).
I think Klingler could have been a lot better than he was with a better surrounding cast (Carl Prickins pouting about going in the second round
and Kling taken over him for starts- woeful O line) and Boomer around to groom him.
Akili was a train wreck from the beginning.

Save the smarmy and not very objective remarks and I know it won't happen but
the best thing this team could do now is get out the Chap Stick and kiss Carson's patoot to come back.
Carson grooming Dalton for a year or two would be the best thing to happen to Andy Dalton's career (I like Dalton, btw)
and the Cincinnati Bengals long term.
[/quote]

I think you can have that in someone like Gradkowski. He's not a very good starter (Grad), but he's a solid veteran ear and teacher for Dalton, who's experienced in west coast offenses, particularly Gruden's.

IMO having a solid vet he can walk back to the bench to talk to is more important than having a solid vet he can watch. He's still getting the guidance, but is getting in-game experience as well.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1313978643' post='1018929']
fwiw from an unbiased Ravens fan (one of the good ones)

A Tampa fan and Rams fan also chimed in and thought it was hilarious that people are calling Dalton a bust already.
[/quote]

This post makes me LOL

[quote name='thedaltonshow' timestamp='1313985395' post='1019011']
Hey all, first post on here, but I've been lurking for a while, so in a sense I know some of you better than you know me :D

I'm not sure what to think of Dalton yet...to be honest I'm rooting hard for him because he seems like he'd be a great leader for this team, and honestly, he exactly the type of QB this team needs for a ball-control offense that is supported with a strong D.

That being said, I'm surprised at the rush to bury him already...I watched the games like most of you here, and what I saw was a QB making his second start and making a few errant passes (as all rookie QBs are liable to) to start the game. But the way he's fought back in both the preseason games has really impressed me, and makes me really believe this kid wants to lead the team, which I'm not sure I ever believed about Carson.

Last season, every time we had a third and 3 or 4, I would expect a bad pass/playcall and an ensuing punt...but with Dalton, at least there seems to be some fire in him to fight for that first down, as opposed to a "oh well, we missed the pass, let's go back to the sideline" look that Carson perfected.

I was as big a Carson supporter as anyone...but I don't think Dalton, regardless of how bad it ever gets here, would ever quit on the team, and for me that's enough to at least give him a season to show what he can do...
[/quote]

So Dalton's facial expressions after a failed third down conversion make you feel better than Carson's facial expressions?

[quote name='Beanie' timestamp='1313971493' post='1018747']
He will be sufficient until we draft Luck. :suicide:
[/quote]
That ship has sailed. If MB had any intention of getting Lucky he should have started on this draft. instead we shot our self in the foot by drafting a stud WR that is not going to be able to make plays because his QB is a rook behind a mediocre OL. This will frustrate not only fans but the the entire team especially Green. I always thought we shoulda traded #4 for more picks this draft and next year. signed Mcnabb to 1yr (he knows WC offense and still has some legs left to extend plays behind our OL), I think Mcnabb could have gotten us 7-9 or mabe 8-8. with that record and our extra picks from trading down this draft we could manuever to get Luck. We didn't do anything to position ourself to get him other than hoping we got 0-16 this year and get #1, mabe that was his strategy LOL!! also i predict Dalton's heart is already starting to waiver and by game six in reg season he will be taking a beating every week and after each game he will be shaking in the corner of the lockerroom re-thinking his decision of whether or not he should be a NFL QB. His heart will be gone by game 8. Sad day for Cincy

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' timestamp='1314015265' post='1019073']
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_NFL_season"]1998[/url] IND 16 16 3 326 575[color=red][size=1][b][sup]†[/sup][/b][/size][/color] 56.7 3,739 6.5 26 28[color=red][size=1][b][sup]†[/sup][/b][/size][/color] 15 62 4.1 0 71.2

I bet in 1998 people were bitching about this rookie too. Didn't turn out too bad for them. Give the boy some time.
[/quote]
Not really. Manning's accuracy and velocity were never in question. His decision makeing and the team learning a new offense were the culprits. Manning worked harder than any QB in recent history to fix his decision making issues and it took him years.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1314016577' post='1019085']
Not really. Manning's accuracy and velocity were never in question. His decision makeing and the team learning a new offense were the culprits. Manning worked harder than any QB in recent history to fix his decision making issues and it took him years.
[/quote]

would this be better? This guy's accuracy and velocity aren't any better than Dalton's.

G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int S

[url="http://www.nfl.com/teams/sandiegochargers/profile?team=SD"]San Diego Chargers[/url] 16 16 320 526 60.8 3,284 6.2 17

[quote name='Abu-Zayd' timestamp='1313992563' post='1019047']
The rain may have contributed but it didn't start out pretty. However, he settled down and started doing good things with the ball. The play change to the slot for Shipley-who is gaining more and more respect with me for his hands- was outstanding. He was nervous and getting accustomed. As soon as he had to rely on instinct, when he ran out of the pocket and threw to Scaife, his intuition and natural ability showed through.

He needs reps and lots of them. He has shown to be smart, versed in the system, poised in the pocket, and an outstanding play action faker! Give him an open minded chance and don't jump on him so early. His #1 WR is a rookie who dropped 3 passes today, Jerome didn't come back and catch one he should have, his other reciever has 3 starts total, and there was no real offseason of work.

I am willing to give him a chance to show me whether he can play or not. [b]Notice the people who are clamoring loudest against Dalton all have their own conflictin agenda...whether it be Jordan palmer, Brat, or whatever else.[/b]
[/quote]

Good post. +1 to you. Ecspecially for the bolded part.

I gotta learn to not let what some here say bother me so much.
Or should I say, not at all.

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' timestamp='1314015265' post='1019073']

[/quote]
The colts were willing to put men around Payton, when Ind drafted him they KNEW going in what they were getting , a intelligent pure drop back passer that if given the tools could general his team and pick a D apart. he is not and has never been a scrambling qb. Thats what Cincy got when they drafted Palmer. A intelligent pure drop back passer. the only diff is Ind built a team around thier qb and his style and Palmer has been running since he come to Cincinnati. Cincinnati takes promising qb's and breaks thier will, beats them down until the finally get fed up. Dalton will be no diff without more change.

[b] Andy Dalton continues to take his lumps[/b]

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 21, 2011, 9:57 PM EDT

Bengals rookie quarterback [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6493/andy-dalton"][b]Andy Dalton[/b][/url]’s first preseason game was pretty rough, even if his offensive coordinator Jay Gruden insists it [url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/13/jay-gruden-daltons-start-wasnt-a-total-debacle/"][color="#d81718"]wasn’t a total debacle[/color][/url].

We’ll call his second start a partial debacle, although Dalton did improve as the game wore on after a very rough start.

Dalton’s first drive: Three and out.

Second drive: Interception off a bad drop from receiver [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6438/aj-green"][b]A.J. Green[/b][/url].

Third drive: The Bengals go way backwards after Dalton made a bad handoff to [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3139/cedric-benson"][b]Cedric Benson[/b][/url].

Fourth drive: Another interception by Dalton.

Fifth drive: Another three-and-out.

Yeah, that’s a full debacle. The good part is that Dalton didn’t seem to get too discouraged. Buoyed by some good running and one big screen pass, the Bengals went on a long touchdown march to start the second quarter.

They made another decent drive that stalled later in the half.

In the end, Dalton finished 8-of-19 for 86 yards and two interceptions. We don’t want to draw too many conclusions from the preseason, but the Bengals would love to avoid even a partial debacle next week so Dalton can gain a little confidence.

[url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/21/andy-dalton-continues-to-take-his-lumps/"]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/21/andy-dalton-continues-to-take-his-lumps/[/url]

IDK... I really like what I'm seeing from AD... Just think this is a dude that had no off season just started working with the full team about 2 1/2 weeks ago.. His first week he completed 73.3% of his passes.

This week would have been just as good if there wouldn't have been 3 drops by Green, 1 by Simpson, and if Simpson would have drug that back foot.

IDK.. he just has control of the offense, has the ability to extend plays, and I think he is going to be good.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1314016864' post='1019086']

would this be better? This guy's accuracy and velocity aren't any better than Dalton's.

[url="http://www.nfl.com/teams/sandiegochargers/profile?team=SD"]San Diego Chargers[/url] 16 16 320 526 60.8 3,284 6.2 17
[/quote]

LMAO. Brees had a 76.9 rating as a rookie and won 3 of 4 overtime games that year. Threw for 3284 yards to such epic receivers and TEs as Tim Dwight, Curtis Conway, Reche Caldwell, Stephen Alexander, Eric Parker, and Josh Norman. Alexander is the only one of that group that EVER made it to the pro bowl with one.

He did have LaDainian Tomlinson.

I think Dalton made good decisions last night just didn't throw an accurate ball plain and simple. That has to change for him to succeed. That is the exact reason Holmgran got rid of Kitna. Smart player, solid leader, made decent decisions but just wasn't accurate with his passes and fumbled too much. There have been plenty of poised, smart QBs in this league who couldn't make the throws.

I have said I won't pass any judgement until at least game 4 of the regular season. Easy early schedule so Dalton should have time to grow early on. He is still a 3 week rookie.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1314016864' post='1019086']

[/quote]

What, is that Drew Brees in his second season?

The same Drew Brees that played poorly enough for the Chargers to draft his replacement, Phillip Rivers? The same Drew Brees that Chargers fans wanted run out of town? Are you saying that we need to be patient with Dalton, and in his 4th season he might finally be a good player?

Yippee

Dalton was overthrowing open receivers last night. As the season goes along, he should be more used to NFL game speed but he'll also find out regular season defense is different than preseason. So far after two games, his passer rating is lower than if every pass was incomplete. Green should also improve as the season goes along and maybe Simpson too. I don't expect the O-line or our running backs to get better. They are what they are and I don't see us being able to consistently run the ball.

The Jets defense is one of the best in the league... They won't play them every week. Sanchez floated quite a few balls too, the weather sucked ass. I'll chill at analyzing the game, oh I'm sorry.... Making excuses.

Archived