Dalton is GARBAGE!

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1314051635' post='1019409']
If we get the first overall pick in next year's draft (and I don't think we will), we better trade that spot to a QB-starved team for pretty much their entire draft, what with all the hype surrounding Luck at this point. Mike Brown could remedy not trading the Akili Smith pick in 1999. We could stock up on a load of OL and DL talent and continue developing Dalton, because I think he's got the goods to be a decent player given some time.
[/quote]
I think the only thing that keeps us from the number one pick is our schedule. If we had the number one pick today I would choose to Luck no questions asked. Glad we have a season to try it out.

I saw a kid who is still adjusting to the NFL and the speed of recievers running a little faster than normal because they were on a national stage. He was inaccurate on about half the balls he threw, but he showed me NOTHING that can't be corrected by more reps. the rumors of a noodle arm are nonsense. He read the defense well and made the right target every single time. He didn't get down after the interceptions and the drops. He was poised, calm and seemed to be able to handle the game.

A lot of rookies would fold under the pressure and may play scared. He looked like someone that was waiting to translate what he knew he could do into reality. Some times that takes practice and mostly it take patience. He knows that the games so far are fake and my sense is that if he had put up all the stats that some of you clammor for he would still be in the same state of mind.

All the overreactor joneses and the chicken littles need to calm the fuck down. And I'll tell you this, if I hear even one person booing him on any play in at least the first 4 games, I won't just sit there and shake my head this year. If you don't want to root for the Bengals, then stay the fuck home. Show up next year when the bandwagon refuels and things are going well enough for you to not act like a spoiled baby bitch "demanding" more from your team.

I say support this kid until he shows difintively he is not the answer. Don't take your frustration with MB and the shit of the past out on AD.

[quote name='F.Cleveland' timestamp='1314052804' post='1019421']
I saw a kid who is still adjusting to the NFL and the speed of recievers running a little faster than normal because they were on a national stage. He was inaccurate on about half the balls he threw, but he showed me NOTHING that can't be corrected by more reps. the rumors of a noodle arm are nonsense. He read the defense well and made the right target every single time. He didn't get down after the interceptions and the drops. He was poised, calm and seemed to be able to handle the game.

A lot of rookies would fold under the pressure and may play scared. He looked like someone that was waiting to translate what he knew he could do into reality. Some times that takes practice and mostly it take patience. He knows that the games so far are fake and my sense is that if he had put up all the stats that some of you clammor for he would still be in the same state of mind.

All the overreactor joneses and the chicken littles need to calm the fuck down. And I'll tell you this, if I hear even one person booing him on any play in at least the first 4 games, I won't just sit there and shake my head this year. If you don't want to root for the Bengals, then stay the fuck home. Show up next year when the bandwagon refuels and things are going well enough for you to not act like a spoiled baby bitch "demanding" more from your team.

I say support this kid until he shows difintively he is not the answer. Don't take your frustration with MB and the shit of the past out on AD.
[/quote]
Amen

Seriously? You guys have got to be shitting me! Y'all remind me of an old friend of mine who decided we should cut Carson after the first six games of his career. Jesus, the kid hasn't had time to fully learn the playbook, he hasn't had time to get to know his coaches and teammates and hasn't had time for the game to slow down and the lights to come on. About 2 quarters of pre-season games with no offseason to speak of and you idiots know for sure what kind of player he'll be? Seriously? Y'all should be suspended for a month without your pacifiers.
LAME!!!

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1314051635' post='1019409']
If we get the first overall pick in next year's draft (and I don't think we will), we better trade that spot to a QB-starved team for pretty much their entire draft, what with all the hype surrounding Luck at this point. Mike Brown could remedy not trading the Akili Smith pick in 1999. We could stock up on a load of OL and DL talent and continue developing Dalton, because I think he's got the goods to be a decent player given some time.
[/quote]

If we're bad enough this season to be picking first, why would we pass on the best quarterback prospect in recent memory? I certainly don't trust Mike to make a good trade in that situation, nor is it in his nature to trade draft picks in the first place.

And let's be honest; if we're bad enough to be picking first, there will almost certainly be a new coaching staff. That staff will probably want their own guy, and a second round pick who, in all probability if we're picking first, didn't play very well, isn't going to stand in their way. Look at Jimmy Clausen with the Panthers. Not to mention the new OC may not run a WCO, in which case Dalton's marginal arm-strength makes him a poor fit.

Absolutely no chance I pass on Andrew Luck if we get the #1 pick.

[quote name='Turd Ferguson' timestamp='1314054913' post='1019431']
Absolutely no chance I pass on Andrew Luck if we get the #1 pick.
[/quote]

Even with say, a torn rotator cuff? After a lackluster 5-7 season?

I think its ridiculous how people revere Luck in this forum.

[b]I talked to a few people today who know a thing or two on what it takes to be a QB in The NFL..Rich Gannon, Pat Kirwan and Chris Mattura a former NFL coach and scout all had high praise for Dalton and said that Bengal fans must be patient. They all said he can make all the throws that need to be made. They also said that he has the poise and demeanor that only good QB's have and that Jay Gruden will help mold him into a good QB. Yes he will probably take his lumps this season but he has a bright future. I believe the key to our O Line this season is Andre Smith. If he finally lives up to his potential we are in good shape. If not, we need to move on. We have a very talented young team with a lot of potential. And we have the right QB![/b]

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' timestamp='1314057128' post='1019448']

Even with say, a torn rotator cuff? After a lackluster 5-7 season?

I think its ridiculous how people revere Luck in this forum.
[/quote]

And both those things could certainly happen.

But if people want to hope the Bengals lose every game and piss themselves just to get the chance at His Majesty...you can't stop 'em.

[quote name='New Jersey Bengal' timestamp='1314063873' post='1019571']
[b]I talked to a few people today who know a thing or two on what it takes to be a QB in The NFL..Rich Gannon, Pat Kirwan and Chris Mattura a former NFL coach and scout all had high praise for Dalton and said that Bengal fans must be patient. They all said he can make all the throws that need to be made. They also said that he has the poise and demeanor that only good QB's have and that Jay Gruden will help mold him into a good QB. Yes he will probably take his lumps this season but he has a bright future. I believe the key to our O Line this season is Andre Smith. If he finally lives up to his potential we are in good shape. If not, we need to move on. We have a very talented young team with a lot of potential. And we have the right QB![/b]
[/quote]
Good to hear.

[/quote]
Yeah Dalton actually impressed me on that second interception. He made the right read and saw through the Jets' coverage before the snap. All he has to do is get it down a little in that situation and it is first down. He does not look frazzled out there which is about the most you can hope for at this point IMO.

[quote name='TrustNMarvin' timestamp='1314064793' post='1019581']
I liked the throw behind Cromartie, AJ dropped it, would have been a first down I think.
[/quote]
That was a good one too. And he fires those slants in there - something Carson did less often last season. With the way people were talking about Dalton I was expecting to see little loopers like Kitna throws but his arm looks good to me.

[/quote]
Damn NJ... was that you I heard on Sirius XM again? Second time I believe... I also trust those guys who have been there and did that, rather than the "armchair GM's" who have ALL that NFL experience to go on.

:bored:

Holy cow, get off the kid's back. Dalton is talking lumps because he's a rookie QB with 3 weeks of camp under his belt and for the past 2 weeks he's faced team's #1 defenses. Did any one on this board actually think Dalton would not take his lumps early? If not, you are delusional. The kid is tough, smart and figuring things out. He'll learn from the past 2 games and be the better for it. Andy Dalton AFC Offensive rookie of the year.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1314066922' post='1019616']
Andy Dalton vs Jets starters:

8/19, 86 yds, 2 INT (1 his fault, [i][b]1 Green's fault[/b][/i])

Mark Sanchez vs. Bengals Starters:

8/14, 79yds, 1 TD

Same weather conditions. We all know which one faced the tougher defense, and which one has much more experience.
[/quote]

I think once Dalton calmed himself down, he played pretty well. As far as the slant to Green, I think they need to share responsibility on that one. Green probably should have caught that, but at the same time Dalton threw a high hard one that didn't appear to be easy to catch.

Not arguing, just the way I saw it.

If we are going to have any success this year, the first few games are key. I think the defense is going to keep us in a lot of games and hopefully we squeak out a few. What I've noticed about Dalton is that he has incredible poise and pocket awareness. I see a little bit of being "unsure" in his play, but that will come with exprience. Im going to stick my neck out here and make a prediction that by week 6, the light will come on for Dalton and the rest of the offense. If the D can win some of those first few games, we may surprise a lot of people down the stretch.

[quote name='bengalsfansince68' timestamp='1314053029' post='1019423']Seriously? You guys have got to be shitting me! [b]Y'all remind me of an old friend of mine who decided we should cut Carson after the first six games of his career.[/b] Jesus, the kid hasn't had time to fully learn the playbook, he hasn't had time to get to know his coaches and teammates and hasn't had time for the game to slow down and the lights to come on. About 2 quarters of pre-season games with no offseason to speak of and you idiots know for sure what kind of player he'll be? Seriously? Y'all should be suspended for a month without your pacifiers.
LAME!!![/quote]

...maybe your old friend was right? :shrug:

:ninja:

Of course it's early, but there are some things about this offense, and Dalton, that I like that we really didn't see with the Carson and Brat regime:

- Play action - CP was not very good at it. I think Dalton is solid, from what I've seen;
- More slants - for whatever reason, we didn't see a lot of that under Brat and with CP. I think with AJ especially, we'll see a lot of slants and shallow crosses, and I think once they get the timing down, this will be a staple of the offense. In fairness, they did do some of that once TO came to town, so maybe it was just the personnel they had... but most teams use the slant a few times a game at least, and the Bengals rarely seemed to; and
- Improved pocket presence - it didn't seem that CP had a lot of it, IMO. I think Dalton has that. He shows the ability to move around and make plays. He gets rid of the ball quickly - maybe too quickly at times, and he'll have to work on that.

Interestingly, he really hasn't done a lot of the "tuck and run" like you see with a lot of young QBs. Tebow still does that, and it'll be interesting to see Cam Newton and what he does on Thursday. I've seen Ponder do it a few times, too. Dalton can run and get yards, I just haven't seen it yet. And I actually think that's a good thing, in the sense that he's not panicking.

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1314106812' post='1019744']
Of course it's early, but there are some things about this offense, and Dalton, that I like that we really didn't see with the Carson and Brat regime:

- Play action - CP was not very good at it. I think Dalton is solid, from what I've seen;
- More slants - for whatever reason, we didn't see a lot of that under Brat and with CP. I think with AJ especially, we'll see a lot of slants and shallow crosses, and I think once they get the timing down, this will be a staple of the offense. In fairness, they did do some of that once TO came to town, so maybe it was just the personnel they had... but most teams use the slant a few times a game at least, and the Bengals rarely seemed to; and
- Improved pocket presence - it didn't seem that CP had a lot of it, IMO. I think Dalton has that. He shows the ability to move around and make plays. He gets rid of the ball quickly - maybe too quickly at times, and he'll have to work on that.

Interestingly, he really hasn't done a lot of the "tuck and run" like you see with a lot of young QBs. Tebow still does that, and it'll be interesting to see Cam Newton and what he does on Thursday. I've seen Ponder do it a few times, too. Dalton can run and get yards, I just haven't seen it yet. And I actually think that's a good thing, in the sense that he's not panicking.
[/quote]

from what I've seen so far in preseason, plus watching Gruden in the UFL and Dalton at TCU (Gruden has compared TCU's offense to his), I think slants, shallow crosses, and other crossing routes are going to be a huge part of this offense. That was something TCU did a lot and Dalton really excelled at. Hitting a WR coming across the middle and putting the ball in a place where the WR can turn up field and make the defender miss and being able to get huge YAC.

We saw a number of those throws against the Jets, but the timing isn't quite there yet where the WR can get away from the defender. When the timing gets better you'll see some of those 5yd gains become 20yd gains.

The patriots made a living on those kinds of plays last year.

after rewatching and thinking about it, that performance was the exact opposite of what i expected to see

i expected to see a good deal of mis-communications, throws into coverage, and breakdowns under pressure....i also expected to see slower but accurate passes when there was time, and ducks thrown up with defenders in his face

instead i saw great reads and decision making, only one real miscomunication, and lot of poise and control in the pocket even with 8 white jerseys in his face... I also saw strong fast passes thrown with horrible accuracy.

one things for sure, If dalton threw with the accuracy i thought he's supposed to have, we'd all be on this forum slobbing his and gruden's knobs for the slicing and dicing of the jets defense. Guy's were open, decisions were good, timing was decent, execution was shit

[quote name='mullichicken25' timestamp='1314107636' post='1019754']
after rewatching and thinking about it, that performance was the exact opposite of what i expected to see

i expected to see a good deal of mis-communications, throws into coverage, and breakdowns under pressure....i also expected to see slower but accurate passes when there was time, and ducks thrown up with defenders in his face

instead i saw great reads and decision making, [b]only one real miscomunication,[/b] and lot of poise and control in the pocket even with 8 white jerseys in his face... I also saw strong fast passes thrown with horrible accuracy.

one things for sure, If dalton threw with the accuracy i thought he's supposed to have, we'd all be on this forum slobbing his and gruden's knobs for the slicing and dicing of the jets defense. Guy's were open, decisions were good, timing was decent, execution was shit
[/quote]

which play?

Archived