ESPN ranks Dalton as worst starting QB......

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' timestamp='1314841857' post='1023891']
[url="http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/rank?versionId=36&listId=23"]http://espn.go.com/s...Id=36&listId=23[/url]

This is pretty sad...ESPN has a link to rank the top QB's. But they only display 30 Quarterbacks and, of course, Dalton is one of the ones missing. Feeling like Rodney Dangerfield here...
[/quote]

fwiw, they said it didn't include rookies, so they didn't include the expected rookie starters (dalton and newton)

[center][quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1314836184' post='1023832'][/center][center][size=5]who should he be above at this point?[/size][/center][center][/quote][/center][center][b]Cam Newton[/b][/center][center][b]Chad Henne[/b][/center][center][b]Ryan Fitzpatrick[/b][/center][center][b]Jason Campbell[/b][/center][center][b]Kevin Kolb[/b][/center][center][b]Rex Grossman[/b][/center][center][b]Tavaris Jackson[/b][/center][center][b]Alex Smith[/b][/center]

[quote name='BlackJesus' timestamp='1314853895' post='1023991']
[center][b]Cam Newton[/b][/center][center][s][b]Chad Henne[/b][/s][/center][center][s][b]Ryan Fitzpatrick[/b][/s][/center][center][s][b]Jason Campbell[/b][/s][/center][center][s][b]Kevin Kolb[/b][/s][/center][center][b]Rex Grossman[/b][/center][center][b]Tavaris Jackson[/b][/center][center][b]Alex Smith[/b]

[/quote]

I agree he's not the worst (I'm not even convinced he'll be the worst in the division come season's end), but he's not better than ALL those guys.[/center]

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1314877047' post='1024022']

I agree he's not the worst (I'm not even convinced he'll be the worst in the division come season's end), but he's not better than ALL those guys.[/center]
[/quote]
He [i]could[/i] be though. I can't wait to find out in real games either way!

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1314824047' post='1023725']
Andy out-dueled Cam last week. ESPN is more of a hype machine than anything.
[/quote]

Mark "Bengals hater" Schlereth was asked the following day, who would have the better season between Cam and Dalton. Obviously, he picked Cam even though he still sucked in the 4th quarter against 3rd/4th stringers. His reasoning was that they didn't show all of their offensive schemes that they're saving for the regular season that will showcase Cam's talent. Of course, there's no chance that the Bengals aren't showing all of their offensive cards. P-Dork even mentioned in his post-game article that the Bengals offense in the Carolina game wouldn't work in the regular season, that it was too simple for opposing defenses not to catch on. Implying that they would run the same offense in the regular season. IT'S PRE-SEASON!!!!

Speaking of which, the Lions have great expectations after once again being Pre-season champs. They've been playing regular season games while their opponents thought it was pre-season.

[quote name='Hooky' timestamp='1314894493' post='1024183']
He should be ready for the season opener. They're just playing the Turds.
[/quote]
We went 1-1 against those Turds last year. I wouldn't underestimate them. It's going to be a dogfight.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1314896188' post='1024202']
We went 1-1 against those Turds last year. I wouldn't underestimate them. It's going to be a dogfight.
[/quote]
Plus its on the road. I doubt Andy has ever been surrounded by than many toothless inbred morons in his life. He will be a little intimidated at first.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1314896676' post='1024204']
Plus its on the road. I doubt Andy has ever been surrounded by than many toothless inbred morons in his life. He will be a little intimidated at first.
[/quote]

You've never been to Texas have you?

:ninja:

[quote]
[b] Commentary: Why John Clayton Is Neither Right Or Wrong About Andy Dalton[/b]
[left][img]http://cdn0.sbnation.com/profile_images/268622/CJ_tiny.jpg[/img] by [url="http://www.sbnation.com/users/Josh%20Kirkendall"]Josh Kirkendall[/url] on [url="http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/9/1/2398302/commentary-why-john-clayton-is-neither-right-or-wrong-about-andy"]Sep 1, 2011 1:47 PM EDT[/url]

[size=3]ESPN's John Clayton unceremoniously ranked Bengals rookie quarterback Andy [url="http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/8/31/2396747/john-clayton-ranks-bengals-qb-andy-dalton-worst-starting-qb-in-the-nfl"]Dalton 33rd during his annual quarterback rankings[/url] on Wednesday (in unrelated news, the sales of Pitch Forks have tripled in the past 24 hours). Considering there's only 32 teams in the NFL, being graded 33rd is worse than being picked last when we were kids playing backyard ball. Clayton wrote:[/size]

[quote]

[size=3]Carson Palmer gave his heart, soul and body to make the Bengals a winning franchise. After two playoff losses and years of enduring frustration, Palmer gave up. Now it's Dalton's turn to try to do the same with a smaller body and not as strong an arm.[/size]
[/quote]

[size=3]Doesn't this sound like one of those [i]best friends coming to the defense[/i] letters, even if said best friend knew he was wrong with defending his buddy. If Palmer gave his heart, soul and body to make the Bengals a winning franchise, one has to ask, "[i]that's the best you could do[/i]?" With only two playoff losses and continuing years of frustration, at some point Palmer has to accept the same responsibility for going 46-51 during his career as the Bengals front office does for their super-villainous roles maintaining this team. But that's neither here nor there.[/size]

[size=3]Our issue really isn't so much that Clayton ranked Dalton 33rd; Clayton knows about as much we do concerning Dalton's career in the NFL. There's no baseline for historical analysis, therefore it's impossible to judge such things. Maybe he becomes the next Greg Cook, whose great start for an NFL career ended just as quickly with a career-ending injury. Maybe he becomes the next Carson Palmer, who makes as many mistakes on the field as the front office did off the field; though often performing earlier in his career (read 2005) in which he deserved elite status. Maybe he's the next Ken Anderson, Boomer Esiason or David Klingler. Guessing about that right now is about as useful as filling a glass without a bottom full of water.[/size]
[/left][center][size=3][img]http://cdn0.sbnation.com/images/blog/star-divide.v777cf8a.jpg[/img][/size]

[size=3]It's no different than Clark Judge's praise of Dalton:[/size]
[quote]

[size=3]There were six quarterbacks taken with the first 36 picks of this year's draft, including Cam Newton at No. 1, and I can see all but maybe one starting at some point this season. What I can't see is all but maybe one having immediate success, and I'll tell you whom I like there.[/size]

[size=3]It's not Newton, and it's not Jake Locker, the first two quarterbacks off the board. It's Cincinnati's Andy Dalton, and I'll tell you why: Because he will start from Day 1, he has a decent supporting cast and he looks as if he played the position -- no coincidence since scouts believed he and Florida State's Christian Ponder were the most ready to step into an NFL huddle.[/size]
[/quote]
[size=3]Our issue isn't that Clayton adds an arrow pointing down, suggesting that Dalton, who is ranked dead last will get worse. How can someone in last place get worse? Would he rank Dalton 41st with only a total of 32 quarterbacks? Either way it's hilarious that borders on Mel Brooks comedy or the self-righteousness nature of elitism that we have to face from time to time.[/size]

[size=3]Either way the only thing that matters from here on out starts next Sunday, when the regular season kickoffs and we can start judging Dalton's career, one game at a time[color=#555555][size=3].[/quote][/size][/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#555555][size=3][url="http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/9/1/2398302/commentary-why-john-clayton-is-neither-right-or-wrong-about-andy"]http://www.cincyjung...rong-about-andy[/url][/size][/color][/size][/center][/center]

• 3 months later...
I wonder where the Crypt Keeper aka John Clayton would rank Dalton now.

This NFL season has proven that the so-called experts don't know shit, from all of the "experts" who swore that Cam Newton was going to be a bust and that Blaine Gabbert was the best qb in the draft, to this garbage ranking Dalton the 33rd best qb in the league.

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1325169367' post='1080861']
I wonder where the Crypt Keeper aka John Clayton would rank Dalton now.

This NFL season has proven that the so-called experts don't know shit, from all of the "experts" who swore that Cam Newton was going to be a bust and that Blaine Gabbert was the best qb in the draft, to this garbage ranking Dalton the 33rd best qb in the league.
[/quote]

I wouldn't want to make rookie QB predictions. Too many moving pieces to determine how well they'll do. Dalton was a question mark for me. But what annoyed me to the point of bumping this is his ranking being probably based on the mindset of the bengals screwing him up. That they would handle him poorly, which turned out to be the opposite. A rookie Qb is more of a test for the OC and the rest of the offense than the QB himself.

[quote name='Hooky' timestamp='1325168132' post='1080855']
BUMP
[/quote]

Fantastic catch and bump.
I saw the title of the post and then saw the dates of the original comments in the thread (including one of mine) and
caught on.

I would say typical ES Peein' but that whole thing would have to improve to suck.
What a bunch of fuck wits.

[quote name='Hooky' timestamp='1325170653' post='1080866']

I wouldn't want to make rookie QB predictions. Too many moving pieces to determine how well they'll do. Dalton was a question mark for me. But what annoyed me to the point of bumping this is his ranking being probably based on the mindset of the bengals screwing him up. That they would handle him poorly, which turned out to be the opposite. A rookie Qb is more of a test for the OC and the rest of the offense than the QB himself.
[/quote]

I agree that was definitely the mindset, but now that Dalton has legitmate shot at winning OROY and making the playoffs while Carson is proving to be the over-rated turnover machine we all knew he was. The Bengals are in a position to change the image of this franchise for good, imo. Making the playoffs this year with a solid draft in 2012 will lay the foundation for consistant success in the future.

Archived