Holy shit guys, we're 5 and 2!

[quote name='NASTYNATI' timestamp='1320026769' post='1053866']

how can you say you dont think the Bengals are really good or that the Bengals cannot compete with teams that have the same record? What do they have to do? They are winning games on the road, playing through injury, suspension, distractions etc. They play excellent defense and have found ways to win even when mistakes have been made. This team is 7 points away from being 7-0. There is absolutely no reason anyone should doubt that this team cannot compete with anyone in the league. This is NOT the Bengals of old hop on the train and enjoy it...
[/quote]
Love that post Nati!

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1320065866' post='1054048']Something to keep in mind: 4 of the Bengals last 6 games are at home.[/quote]

The bigger question is will the Bengals do enough to get the 12th Man (the fan) in there... I know that thanks to someone on this website that i will be there....

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1320026177' post='1053861']
I still don't think we are really good or can compete with the Ravens or the Steelers of the world. I don't think we have played a good team yet. Still pleasantly surprised by how good we are but I would not be surprised if we lose a majority of the games we have left.
[/quote]

Really? Is that the same Ratbird team that lost to Jacksonville the week after we played them and nearly lost to Arizona? They are looking very beatable by any team in the league right now. Steelers right now are hot, so you might be right there. We shall see. I'll I know is we are sitting @ 5-2. We should beat Arizona, St. Louis and Cleveland (@ home). That's 8 wins. Split with Pittsburg and the Rats, that's 10 wins. Might be enough for the playoffs @ 10-6. Steal one from Houston or Tennessee and 11-5 gets us in.

One thing is certain, next week is the beginning of a tough stretch. By December we will know if this team is for real or not.

[quote name='ccartman2' timestamp='1320081881' post='1054172']

Really? Is that the same Ratbird team that lost to Jacksonville the week after we played them and nearly lost to Arizona? They are looking very beatable by any team in the league right now. Steelers right now are hot, so you might be right there. We shall see. I'll I know is we are sitting @ 5-2. We should beat Arizona, St. Louis and Cleveland (@ home). That's 8 wins. Split with Pittsburg and the Rats, that's 10 wins. Might be enough for the playoffs @ 10-6. Steal one from Houston or Tennessee and 11-5 gets us in.

One thing is certain, next week is the beginning of a tough stretch. By December we will know if this team is for real or not.
[/quote]

Steelers lost another LB to injury, Woodley. They now are down three.

I think its rational at this point to start talking playoffs and viewing this team as actually being pretty good.

If anyone really thought the Bengals were going to be 5-2 at this point before the season started, they could have made a ton of money. Vegas had the over/under for season wins by this team at 5.5 and some places even had 5.

To act like everyone "knew" this team would get to 5 wins so easily is laughable. Unless you guys who were so sure of it put thousands of dollars down in vegas on this sure thing of a season...

This is just a fun team. I didn't have huge expectations for these guys, but watching them grow and become a cohesive unit is so exciting. The young pieces we have on this team is unreal. 5 picks in the top 100 and then 3 more possibly the year after. Woah. It can only go up from here.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' timestamp='1320038837' post='1053980']

Oh c'mon, I'm enjoying the wins just as much as everyone else.

Nobody rational could have assumed we'd be in this position before the season started.
[/quote]

I had us going 6-2 through the first 8 games with losses to Buffalo and Indianapolis. Buffalo due to the curse and Indy with Peyton Manning's situation still unknown. I am a very rational thinker and consider myself a realist. This team is definately good enough to win 6 of its remaining 9 games. I think they split the series with both Pitt and Balt. Houston will put up a fight and Cleveland will be a close match but the Bengals should be favored in 4-5 of its last 9 games.

They are doing all of the things they need to do to win close games. They are playing smart football, great defense, and they are balanced on offense. This is not the Bengals team of old. I at times have had to fight the "this team will blow it feeling" but they have earned my trust and until they prove this year that they cant get it done none of us should doubt them. this team is just 7 points away from being 7-0. I dont care who they have or havent played winning in the NFL is tough each week. 5-2 is extremely impressive and the way they are winning makes me believe this team if they can get in could do damage in the playoffs.

[quote name='NASTYNATI' timestamp='1320089571' post='1054266']

I had us going 6-2 through the first 8 games with losses to Buffalo and Indianapolis. Buffalo due to the curse and Indy with Peyton Manning's situation still unknown. I am a very rational thinker and consider myself a realist. This team is definately good enough to win 6 of its remaining 9 games. I think they split the series with both Pitt and Balt. Houston will put up a fight and Cleveland will be a close match but the Bengals should be favored in 4-5 of its last 9 games.

They are doing all of the things they need to do to win close games. They are playing smart football, great defense, and they are balanced on offense. This is not the Bengals team of old. I at times have had to fight the "this team will blow it feeling" but they have earned my trust and until they prove this year that they cant get it done none of us should doubt them. this team is just 7 points away from being 7-0. I dont care who they have or havent played winning in the NFL is tough each week. 5-2 is extremely impressive and [b]the way they are winning makes me believe this team if they can get in could do damage in the playoffs.[/b]
[/quote]

This.

This team is built for the playoffs and especially being so young.

[quote name='NASTYNATI' timestamp='1320026769' post='1053866']

how can you say you dont think the Bengals are really good or that the Bengals cannot compete with teams that have the same record? What do they have to do? They are winning games on the road, playing through injury, suspension, distractions etc. They play excellent defense and have found ways to win even when mistakes have been made. This team is 7 points away from being 7-0. There is absolutely no reason anyone should doubt that this team cannot compete with anyone in the league. This is NOT the Bengals of old hop on the train and enjoy it...
[/quote]

I think we have played awful teams, really awful ones. I don't think we do anything really unique or progressive on offense or defense so that when we play teams that do we will get outschemed and look bad. Especially with a rookie QB. I think the defense is good, but I am also not sure we have played a good line yet and we are winning due to our DL which has been really active but I am not sure how great they really are. We don't have a true elite playmaker (although Johnson, Dunlap, Atkins, Mualaga, Peko and Nelson are all on the cusp) on that D and so I wonder how long they can maintain this. I think this team is 1 year away from being a legitimate contender if the coaching staff does not get in its way. We don't know yet what we have in Gruden. The offense is not going to scare any good teams. Our QB is a wiley game manager who is able to make some nice plays but is surely not elite (not that he can't get there...I am surprised he as good as he is already) and has some big limitations. Our running game is pretty awful. I think a good defense just t's off on Dalton and waits until he makes a mistake.

As I said I really think they will be special next year but I expect them to hit a wall pretty soon and end up about 8-8. Third place schedule is good for me next year. Who do we play?

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1320087006' post='1054232']
This is just a fun team. I didn't have huge expectations for these guys, but watching them grow and become a cohesive unit is so exciting. The young pieces we have on this team is unreal. 5 picks in the top 100 and then 3 more possibly the year after. Woah. It can only go up from here.
[/quote]

Very easy team to root for. All they need is a white RB.

[quote name='ccartman2' timestamp='1320081881' post='1054172']

[/quote]

I will have to look into the Ravens more. I guess maybe the quality of play around the NFL might just be down but your the second person to say the Ravens are not that great. I just don't look at the field and see a playoff team or a super bowl contender. But thats more off what I see and not the NFL climate. Our 2005 team was much better

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1320103160' post='1054352']

I think we have played awful teams, really awful ones. I don't think we do anything really unique or progressive on offense or defense so that when we play teams that do we will get outschemed and look bad. Especially with a rookie QB. I think the defense is good, but I am also not sure we have played a good line yet and we are winning due to our DL which has been really active but I am not sure how great they really are. We don't have a true elite playmaker (although Johnson, Dunlap, Atkins, Mualaga, Peko and Nelson are all on the cusp) on that D and so I wonder how long they can maintain this. I think this team is 1 year away from being a legitimate contender if the coaching staff does not get in its way. We don't know yet what we have in Gruden. The offense is not going to scare any good teams. Our QB is a wiley game manager who is able to make some nice plays but is surely not elite (not that he can't get there...I am surprised he as good as he is already) and has some big limitations. Our running game is pretty awful. I think a good defense just t's off on Dalton and waits until he makes a mistake.

As I said I really think they will be special next year but I expect them to hit a wall pretty soon and end up about 8-8. Third place schedule is good for me next year. Who do we play?
[/quote]

We have played some bad teams, but we have also played the 2nd best team in the NFC and the division leader in the Afc east (beating one and almost beating the other).

But if you look at most teams schedules they have played awful teams to.

4 of the stealers 6 wins are against miserable teams (jax, indy, arizona, and seattle) same as 3 of the teams we have beaten.
The ravens have some good wins, but also a couple wins against terrible teams, and a loss against a pretty shitty team in Jax.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1320103614' post='1054361']

Ryan Fitzpatrick and Alex Smith huh?
[/quote]

Yes. The same Fitzpatrick who just cashed in on a huge contract and beat the Patriots. And Smith, the ex-#1 overall qb who is doing what he is asked to for a 6-1 team.

It is okay to admit you were wrong on stuff, no one will think less of you. Where people find you to be a world class dink is the inability to re-examine previously held positions.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1320103614' post='1054361'] Ryan Fitzpatrick and Alex Smith huh?[/quote]

You are talking about a 6-1 team and a 5-2 team, teams that have beaten the lions, patriots, eagles etc. Why does their qb names matter?

This is just getting pathetic with you.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1320103308' post='1054356'] Very easy team to root for. All they need is a white RB.[/quote]

A little confused on this post...did I miss a joke or is this just racist?

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1320060978' post='1053997']

Oh I beg to differ. I provided plenty of reason and logic. You and a lot of others here
just chose to ignore it. But that's alright. Not like I'm going to dig up an old thread to
prove my point or anything.
[/quote]

They got rid of their franchise QB, BEST CB, top 2 WRs, had a shortened offseason, installed a new offense with a new offensive coordinator, start a rookie QB who was drafted in the 2nd round game one, a rookie WR, did not improve a horrific line and were coming off a 4-12 season. It's not rational to think they would be that great. I am on board with the logic of the schedule. That was the reason that I thought it was so important to have Carson back and why the bring back Bratkowski arguments made some sense, but the revisionist history of trying to say that it was rational to think this team might be good really belittles how amazing it is that they are actually pretty good.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1320103862' post='1054365']

You are talking about a 6-1 team and a 5-2 team, teams that have beaten the lions, patriots, eagles etc. Why does their qb names matter?

This is just getting pathetic with you.

A little confused on this post...did I miss a joke or is this just racist?
[/quote]

I think the white RBs and Black QBs are really easy to root for due to the novelty of it.

[quote name='membengal' timestamp='1320103781' post='1054364']

Yes. The same Fitzpatrick who just cashed in on a huge contract and beat the Patriots. And Smith, the ex-#1 overall qb who is doing what he is asked to for a 6-1 team.

It is okay to admit you were wrong on stuff, no one will think less of you. Where people find you to be a world class dink is the inability to re-examine previously held positions.
[/quote]

I think the 49ers and Bills are both bad teams.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1320103739' post='1054363']

We have played some bad teams, but we have also played the 2nd best team in the NFC and the division leader in the Afc east (beating one and almost beating the other).

But if you look at most teams schedules they have played awful teams to.

4 of the stealers 6 wins are against miserable teams (jax, indy, arizona, and seattle) same as 3 of the teams we have beaten.
The ravens have some good wins, but also a couple wins against terrible teams, and a loss against a pretty shitty team in Jax.
[/quote]

Maybe there are a lot more bad teams this year. Something I definitely need to consider.

No offense weston, but if you think SF and Buffalo are bad teams you dont know shit about football. They might not be superbowl teams but you are talking about teams that are winning their divisions that have beaten the best teams in this league.

And by no offense, i mean take offense.

[quote name='membengal' timestamp='1320103781' post='1054364']

[/quote]

Would you pay Fitzpatrick or Smith?

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1320104152' post='1054373']
No offense weston, but if you think SF and Buffalo are bad teams you dont know shit about football. They might not be superbowl teams but you are talking about teams that are winning their divisions that have beaten the best teams in this league.

And by no offense, i mean take offense.
[/quote]

I bet not one has a playoff win.

Archived