Mike Wallace

[quote name='Elijah15' timestamp='1329537621' post='1096908']
Mike wallace will not betray the steelers to come to us
He loves it there and i doubt he wants to come,if u guys think he wants to become a bengal than go ahead
0.0000000001% of it happening
[/quote]

You realize you have no idea what you're talking about right?

If the Steelers tender him, he'd be getting somewhere around ~$2.7 mil.

If we offer him a long-term contract that pays him $8-9 mil next year, you think he's going to say no to be loyal to the Steelers, who have ZERO cap room to sign him to such a deal? Really? You think that? Or, as I'm assuming, you're just talking out of your ass.

No way this will ever happen. At all. Wallace will get paid-by the Steelers. They would NEVER allow themselves to lose their #1 receiver to a despised division rival. And, face it, AJ Green is our clear No.1 WR. Wallace would never sign on to be anyone's #2. The money not spent on Wallace would be best spent on CB Brandon Carr of the Chiefs.

[quote name='blueridge' timestamp='1329548493' post='1096938']
No way this will ever happen. At all. Wallace will get paid-by the Steelers. They would NEVER allow themselves to lose their #1 receiver to a despised division rival. And, face it, AJ Green is our clear No.1 WR. Wallace would never sign on to be anyone's #2. The money not spent on Wallace would be best spent on CB Brandon Carr of the Chiefs.
[/quote]

I love how this post ignores the salary cap.

They also have Antonio Brown.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' timestamp='1329549450' post='1096941']

I love how this post ignores the salary cap.

[/quote]

No shit, I think it's been explained at least 3 different times in this thread how the Steelers are up against it.

The salary cap, that is.

It's this thing where teams can only spend below a certain fixed amount of money on their roster.

The Steelers, they are close to that limit.

That limit, it's called a "salary cap".

:contract:

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1329537144' post='1096906']

The thing I remember most about Shipley is watching him break teams hearts with punt returns for TDs, and score on long TD passes up the seam. Since has been to Cincinnati the don't let him return punts, and he rarely gets passes up the seam. Now the passes up the seam I can't really blame too much on the coaches because most of the time in college when that happens it's due to a safety misreading a play and being out of position, which doesn't happen anywhere near as much in the pros. The punt returning on the other hand, I don't get why the team continues to bring in guys to return punts when they already have a great guy on the team. [b]The spot that Tate took up last year could have been used to keep an extra lineman or linebacker.[/b]
[/quote]

not really. They didn't keep any more WR's than they usually do, and they already carried 1 more linebacker than they usually do last year.

[quote name='blueridge' timestamp='1329548493' post='1096938']
[/quote]

I think you and others are ignoring the important part, THE STEELERS DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO PAY HIM. They are in cap hell right now. They can franchise him, but they'll have to continue to restructure other guys to come up with the money. If any team comes in and offers him a good contract, the steelers will have to cut a number of their well paid guys to match the contract.

As someone else mentioned, Mike Wallace (coming off his rookie contract) isn't going to stay loyal to the stealers if another team comes in offering $6 million more PER YEAR.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1329550802' post='1096944']

No shit, I think it's been explained at least 3 different times in this thread how the Steelers are up against it.

The salary cap, that is.

It's this thing where teams can only spend below a certain fixed amount of money on their roster.

The Steelers, they are close to that limit.

That limit, it's called a "salary cap".

:contract:[/quote]

The Steelers are going to be doing some capology and some cutting to be able to put the pieces on their team that are part of the long term solution. Like Wallace.

Given their age and declining skills, Brett Keisel, Casey Hampton, Ike Taylor, Larry Foote, Wines Hard, James Farrior and others might get let go, or at least will be asked to take a pay cut or take a more cap-friendly contract.

[quote name='cincity' timestamp='1329519965' post='1096839']

I think this is an important thought.. Wallace is just a burner.. He isn't a great or what most would even consider good route runner. And a lot of his yards are from broken plays and pump fakes.[/quote]

A year ago, I would have agreed with you, but I think he became a complete receiver this year. With him, Brown, and Sanders, they have one of the best 1-3 WR groups in the league... And they're all in their mid 20s or younger.

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1329572566' post='1096967']

A year ago, I would have agreed with you, but I think he became a complete receiver this year. With him, Brown, and Sanders, they have one of the best 1-3 WR groups in the league... And they're all in their mid 20s or younger.
[/quote]

Wallace is very soft and often disappears when you need him the most. He almost completely disappeared in the second half of last season. He can be a little enfuriating to watch. All the talent in the world, but doesn't fight for the ball, and doesn't like making the tough catches over the middle.

Also, Wallace has some diva in him. It hasn't hit center stage yet, but it's there.

I firmly believe that Antonio Brown is the better all-around WR right now. Maybe that changes in a year or two. But right now, that's the case, in my opinion.

Now, would I be happy to give him up for a first round pick? No, of course not. His speed is a huge strategic advantage. But I don't think it'd be the end of the world, either. Brown would be fine as a #1, and Emmanuel Sanders has shown the potential to be a #2...IF he can stay healthy.

We'd just to need to fill in the spots behind them.

[b]AdamPBUD (Columbus)[/b]: Any chance the Bengals go after [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/12601/mike-wallace"]Mike Wallace[/url]? Would [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/8452/stanford-routt"]Stanford Routt[/url] fit in Cincy?

[b]Jamison Hensley[/b]: Don't see Bengals going after Wallace. I see New England and San Francisco possibly making a move for Wallace. Routt would be a really good fit in Cincy. He might even start over Clements.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/42579/afc-north-chat-rewind-2

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1329574968' post='1096971'][b]AdamPBUD (Columbus)[/b]: Any chance the Bengals go after [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/12601/mike-wallace"]Mike Wallace[/url]? Would [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/8452/stanford-routt"]Stanford Routt[/url] fit in Cincy?

[b]Jamison Hensley[/b]: Don't see Bengals going after Wallace. I see New England and San Francisco possibly making a move for Wallace. Routt would be a really good fit in Cincy. He might even start over Clements.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/42579/afc-north-chat-rewind-2[/quote]

Any news on whether Routt did really visit, and if so, how it went? Wonder if having Hue on the staff would help in landing him (if they want him, that is).

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1329575798' post='1096973']
Any news on whether Routt did really visit, and if so, how it went? Wonder if having Hue on the staff would help in landing him (if they want him, that is).
[/quote]

I haven't heard anything as far as him NOT actually visiting yesterday. I do find it curious that Hue was hired on the same day, probably can only help unless Routt doesn't like him.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1329576160' post='1096974']

I haven't heard anything as far as him NOT actually visiting yesterday. I do find it curious that Hue was hired on the same day, probably can only help unless Routt doesn't like him.
[/quote]

That fact just totally went over my head... Curious huh? Routt could be a nice addition to this team, he'll be with known commodities in the coaching business along with familiarity with Hue, Marvin and Carrier. Also he has someone here that he was teammates with in Howard. A young playoff team, top 10 defense, and a chance to start. It may be a good fit all around for him. Not as glamorous as being on the Cowboys, but compared to the other teams that he's interviewed with so far, I'd say Cincy has a chance. That would open up the options for the draft, a lot more.

[quote name='Elijah15' timestamp='1329579222' post='1096982']
Lol but does it mean we have to give up a 1st round pick for wallace? No thanks
[/quote]

Wallace is easily worth a 1st. Not saying we should definitley do it cause we have AJ, but a team that needs a #1 would be foolish not to get him. I think the Patriots pull it off.

Just looked at the stats. I knew Wallace had a bad second half of the season, but even I didn't realize how bad it was. In the last 10 games of the season (including the playoff game), Wallace had 39 receptions for 489 yards and 3 TDs. That's an average of 3.9 catches for 48.9 yards per game.

Guy was seriously invisible.

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1329595038' post='1097006']
Just looked at the stats. I knew Wallace had a bad second half of the season, but even I didn't realize how bad it was. In the last 10 games of the season (including the playoff game), Wallace had 39 receptions for 489 yards and 3 TDs. That's an average of 3.9 catches for 48.9 yards per game.

[/quote]

Great point. I think most teams just played off the guy and gave him the short routes. I've never seen him make
tough catch with guys around him.

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1329595038' post='1097006']

[/quote]

Defenses tend to shade coverage towards #1 WRs. Put a CB and a Safety over the top and it explains why Brown was getting more looks

[quote name='unleashed' timestamp='1329596193' post='1097010']

Defenses tend to shade coverage towards #1 WRs. Put a CB and a Safety over the top and it explains why Brown was getting more looks
[/quote]

There's plenty of WRs in the league that draw double coverages and still produce. If a WR wants to be "elite", he needs to be able to do just that. I obviously watched all the Steeler games last year, and I forgot he was even on the field for most of those second half games.

[quote name='unleashed' timestamp='1329596193' post='1097010']

[/quote]
Exactly, its why housh was so successful opposite Chad. The double teams may have stopped a couple seasons before he said they did but Chad did draw a lot of coverage in his hey day. the problem was teams were ok giving us the underneath stuff so they could focus on not letting Chad get open Downfield. They will do the same to AJ soon enough but they can't do it to Wallace and AJ, or they could and then Gresham and Shipley eat them alive

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1329596551' post='1097011']

There's plenty of WRs in the league that draw double coverages and still produce. If a WR wants to be "elite", he needs to be able to do just that. I obviously watched all the Steeler games last year, and I forgot he was even on the field for most of those second half games.
[/quote]

Right.. But we have AJ.....

Archived