After Week 1--Impression of Replacement Refs

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1348631902' post='1163260']
[img]http://static4.fjcdn.com/comments/Successful+troll+is+successful+_44d3c3446a9bbff8943b4e615ac2a164.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

That's an awesome photo, it shows where Jimmy Hoffa was buried and who the real shooter was of JFK.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1348613804' post='1163138']
You said something about if it happened to Bengal fans. I was saying if it did and because we are fans, that no matter if our Bengal was on offense or defense, most of us would see it as our guy having possession. It's just part of being a fan. I'm pretty sure I know you're a Bengal fan.
[/quote]

The other spin if the bengals are on the receiving end of that call, I'm honestly not sure of my response on a play that big and rationalizing how many times the Bengals got shafted on calls. Just like Seahawk fans are still looking for payback after getting screwed so hard in Super bowl XL. While watching games, I am pretty objective and constantly think that we got away with one if that was the case. i saw a FB thread where Seahawk fan friends were arguing over the call. Most of them knew they got a gift from the refs while there was one Michael Weston holding his ground. So I think if the Bengals got that call, I would realize that it was a gift,but rationalize that it was about time the refs screw up in our favor on a big play.

And as far as the NFL's announcement to stand by the call, no big surprise. For Goodell to throw the refs under the bus would be him throwing himself under the bus. He had to know that this was going to happen eventually.

[b] [size=6]Want the refs back? Don't flip[/size][/b]

In the wake of the latest and most public gaffe made by the NFL's replacement officials, we've heard lots of things about what NFL players can or might do to protest not just the call that decided the Green Bay-Seattle game but the plethora of questionable calls we've seen in the first three weeks.

Late Monday night or early Tuesday morning, depending on where you were when the mess in Seattle was finally and wrongly sorted out, there was a logical thought that this mess would bring the NFL and the regular referees closer to an agreement.

Nothing's happened yet.

There's a problem, and it's not just with what each side is bringing to the bargaining table. Commssioner Roger Goodell and the NFL side know the games are going to go on. Period.

The players can't strike; that's clearly written in the new collective bargaining agreement. The thought that even one player would be willing to give up a game check is pretty absurd, too, even if such no-strike rules weren't written in bold text. No team is going to come out and take a symbolic knee on first down, either, because both teams have too much at stake to sacrifice even one play.

Besides continuing to question the NFL and its leadership in the media, there's only one thing the players can do this week to protest.

They can refuse to come out for their respective coin tosses.

Maybe that's disrespecting the game -- it certainly would be disrespecting the on-site officials -- but if the players are going to talk and tweet so tough, they have to act on it.

At most NFL games both teams are introduced, then brought on to their respective sidelines for the National Anthem. Then -- usually a little before 1 o'clock for early Sunday games -- the captains are called to midfield. There are brief introductions, the coin is tossed, the start of the game is set and usually not more than 90 seconds later, the ball is kicked off.

If nobody comes out for the toss, the game can't start.

Missing -- or at least delaying -- the coin toss would send a message to those sitting in the big chairs for the league that the players are united in their desire to get the real referees back. It's probably the only realistic option that doesn't compromise any actual in-game play or rob the fans who pay big dollars to get into NFL stadiums of the full experience.

If captains from both sides refused to come to midfield for the coin toss, the officials would probably have to huddle with one another to see how to proceed. They'd probably have to call upstairs, and TV cameras would definitely catch on. These games (and broadcasts) are scripted down not just to the minute but to the second, starting at least 90 minutes before kickoff, so any type of delay would catch the league's attention.

The statement would be made.

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing the officials' only recourse at the point neither team sent a player to midfield for the coin toss would be to throw a flag for delay of game -- and I don't even know how that would go. If the players have a unified front, both teams would get that flag. Or maybe neither team would. Or maybe if it happens in Baltimore-Cleveland on Thursday night Golden Tate will get flagged for pass interference during a kickoff on Sunday in St. Louis.

That the penalty going on the wrong team in the wrong team in the wrong stadium doesn't seem totally out of the question show what a mess this thing is.

The players continuing to complain about it publicly isn't going to get anything done; frankly, the Twitter bullying and whining they've done has gone a little too far. Not showing up or not playing is not even a little bit realistic. If the players want to make a short but strong statement, they simply won't send any captains to the 50-yard line in Week Four.

Then, the NFL would have to pay attention.

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/09/25/12/Want-the-refs-back-Dont-flip/landing_browns.html?blockID=795499&feedID=3665

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1348664124' post='1163312']
[url="https://twitter.com/TomRock_Newsday"][b]Tom Rock[/b]‏[s]@[/s][b]TomRock_Newsday[/b][/url]
Source: To save money on officials' uniforms, NFL owners considering hiring actual zebras to call Week 4 games.
[/quote]

:rsju31uh9:

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1348615320' post='1163147']
With the real officials that is true, but with the replacements, the officials in the booth are supposed to be giving him advice.
[/quote]

Agreed... but ultimately the decision still resides with the field referee. Phil Luckett or whomever can whisper in his ear but he has to decide how much booing he's going to put up with when he overturns the call essentially costing the home team the game.

Akin to what you said earlier - I don't blame these guys / gals. They're over their head... been thrown in to deep end when the they've been officiating in the 3 / 5 ft end of the pool their whole lives. They can't help it - they've not had the experience / training necessary to attempt to make these types of calls in these settings. Its one thing to make this call at Thomas More on Saturday, quite another in Seattle on Monday Night Football with about 20 cameras from every angle and millions watching, and bigger, faster bodies playing.

With regard to the original refs... it is a tough situation. They have a union and are attempting 2 things - to protect their union brothers and keep their guaranteed pension. The NFL wants to build a 21 man "practice squad" so they have a "proving ground" so to speak and have the ability to remove / swap out under-performing referees (union members) mid-season. This, I think is a good thing - we want the best available, right? But that goes against the unions very existence. Secondly, they're wanting to keep a guaranteed pension plan as opposed to going to a funded 401k plan... all other NFL employees had to go to this so I can see the NFL's stance. But, you're not dealing with rank and file NFL employees - you're dealing with a unionized entity. No different than the players - you can't treat the referees as NFL employees until they're no longer unionized.

To me, I think they should compromise and allow the practice squad of officials, allowing changes during the season, and allow the officials to keep their pension as it is. Wonder if that'll happen though. As long as we keep watching, owners keep getting their money, they have no ultimate incentive to get a deal done.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1348598128' post='1163054']
Its a still shot after he rolled over and pulled out the ball.

[url="http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2012/09/25/nfl-upholds-seahawks-disputed-win-over-packers.html"]http://www.dispatch....er-packers.html[/url]

There is the still shot as he calls the TD.
[/quote]

Your mistaken...that shot there is about 2 seconds later than the still shot that was posted earlier...the still shot from earlier is simultanious with TD signal...then tate rolls over while he still has hands in air and that is what is on that website. Here is what it looked like about 1 and a half seconds earlier....with CLEAR possesion and TD being signaled. That link there should end any further arguements as it is very clear he signals TD while packer has very clear possession. Tate has the back of his forrearm on the ball while jennings has 2 hands on the ball tucked into his chest.....doesnt get any clearer than that.

[url="http://www.businessinsider.com/why-seahawks-packers-call-was-wrong-2012-9"]http://www.businessi...as-wrong-2012-9[/url]

I saw them talking to a Seahawk announcer on NFL Network yesterday. He reminded me of stealer fans when they get their constant gifts from the refs. He was saying that even the Packers would admit that if they made more plays they wouldn't have been in that mess. So if you don't play a perfect game, then you can't blame the refs for a bad call on the final play of the game. He said if they wouldn't have allowed 8 sacks in the first half, it probably wouldn't have come down to the final play. It's the Packers' fault that they let Seattle get in a scenario to win the game. Stealers fans say that all the time. Ridiculous.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1348596197' post='1163037']

I don't get the fuss with this one. You are all entitled to your opinions, as am I. If the next statement is "You are entitled to your opinion, but if you are an idiot I will call you one" I assume that runs opposite to the point of adults being on a discussion board.

[/quote]

You are entitled to your opinion. And people are entitled to have an opinion of you based off what you said.
See, that's how a discussion board works too.

Anyway, watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDuR7RYrgns

The official that threw up his hands signaling TD still says that his call was right:
[QUOTE]Easley said Packers safety M.D. Jennings never had independent possession of the ball. He said it was clearly a case of simultaneous possession with Seahawks wide receiver Golden Tate, which means the reception goes to the offensive player. "You have to not only have the ball but have either 2 feet or a body part on the ground, and that never happened," Easley said, referencing Jennings’ interception attempt.
"Put any other official who knows the rules and they would make the same call," he added.
Easley, a banker from Santa Maria, Calif., who officiates junior college games in southern California, defended the quality of work by the replacement refs.
"We did a damn good job ... for the most part," he said. [/QUOTE]

[url="http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-09-27/replacement-official-packers-seahawks-final-play-call-golden-tate"]http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-09-27/replacement-official-packers-seahawks-final-play-call-golden-tate[/url]

If that's what he thinks then good riddance and don't let anything hit you in the ass on your way back to doing Jr College and high school games

[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
[url="https://twitter.com/espnafc_north"][b]Jamison Hensley[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]espnafc_north[/b][/size][/url][/background][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
Officials get standing ovation in Baltimore [url="http://t.co/5so5ApLt"][size=1]http://[/size]es.pn/TJb9oG[/url][/background][/font][/color]

Anyone catch the Green Bay game today ? Late in the game with GB leading N.O. fumbled on the kick return and the regular officials totally missed it and during the scrum used the down by contact rule so it wasn't able to be reviewed. So the regular guys are not so perfect either.

[quote name='cnbengal' timestamp='1349062187' post='1165090']
Anyone catch the Green Bay game today ? Late in the game with GB leading N.O. fumbled on the kick return and the regular officials totally missed it and during the scrum used the down by contact rule so it wasn't able to be reviewed. So the regular guys are not so perfect either.
[/quote]

Yeah, that was as bad as any of the replacement's fuck ups.

Archived