After Week 1--Impression of Replacement Refs

[url="http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/09/25/monday-night-football-ending-brings-more-heat-to-replacement-refs/?hpt=hp_c1"]http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/09/25/monday-night-football-ending-brings-more-heat-to-replacement-refs/?hpt=hp_c1[/url]

New Jersey Senate President Steve Sweeney got into the game on Tuesday, saying he would introduce legislation against holding sporting events officiated by replacement referees.
"This past weekend in the NFL has not only made a mockery of a great sport, but shined a very bright light on how important fully trained and professional officiating is to player safety," Sweeney said in a statement released by his office Tuesday morning. "We wouldn't allow a factory or construction site to operate without fully trained supervisors on hand to ensure the safety of employees. Why should we do anything differently when the job site is a playing field?"
Discussion of the game also accounted for at least four of the top 10 topics on Twitter in the United States, where everyday fans and celebrities appeared united in their frustration. Even President Obama weighed in on the issue.

[quote name='Gary' timestamp='1348599255' post='1163070']

What part of the reception don't you understand? [u]WHEN JENNINGS FEET TOUCH THE GROUND HE HAS THE INT END OF STORY. [/u]You cannot take possession away from the person that caught the ball in the end zone after the possession is made like you can in open field.

And when Jennings feet touch the count there is no arguing over who has possession. Tate only had one hand on the ball at that time.

That picture you posted they were already on the ground. Who cares who has possession then anyway? The reception was already made by Jennings, and he already came down in the endzone with both feet. So all this crap you are posting is irrelevant.
[/quote]

I don't think it's clear that he has the catch up top. Maybe I need to watch it again.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1348577538' post='1162896']

I dont think posession is that clear. As I have said I think it is an interception but spur of the moment I can see them calling it mutual posession or whatever the phrase is. The announcer even calls it that during the game. I just don't think its as blatantly obvious and horrible of a call as everyone is saying. After watching replays from all angles I do think it was a pick. Jennigns has to have it through falling to the ground for it to be a td (Isnt that the Calvin Johnson rule from last year?).
[/quote]

Agreed 100%

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1348603874' post='1163097']
I don't think it's clear that he has the catch up top. Maybe I need to watch it again.
[/quote]

Watch it again then. When the feet hit the ground Jennings has the ball with both arms and against his chest. Tate has one arm on the ball with the ball about 3ft from him cradeling it. It's not even close.

It's pretty much the same rule as a guy crossing the goal line and then a defender taking the ball from the player that scrored. Once he crosses the line the play is dead and ruled a TD. Once a player catches the ball and controlls it against his chest (which happened before he hit the ground) and both his feet touch the ground the play is over. You cannot wrestle for the ball in the endzone after the fact that he "crossed the plane" (i.e. his feet touching the ground with possession).

Sorry but you are with the microscopic minority on this one if you still believe it's a catch. It's not even close.

[quote name='Gary' timestamp='1348607536' post='1163113']
Watch it again then. When the feet hit the ground Jennings has the ball with both arms and against his chest. Tate has one arm on the ball with the ball about 3ft from him cradeling it. It's not even close.

It's pretty much the same rule as a guy crossing the goal line and then a defender taking the ball from the player that scrored. Once he crosses the line the play is dead and ruled a TD. Once a player catches the ball and controlls it against his chest (which happened before he hit the ground) and both his feet touch the ground the play is over. You cannot wrestle for the ball in the endzone after the fact that he "crossed the plane" (i.e. his feet touching the ground with possession).

Sorry but you are with the microscopic minority on this one if you still believe it's a catch. It's not even close.
[/quote]

I think it was a pick. I just can see how the ref could blow it.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1348599353' post='1163071']
Sorry, I disagree wholeheartedly. To me, it's not just the bad calls, it's the lack of calls, the mistakes on rule fundamentals, and the feeling that these Refs are in awe of the players and coaches. I have never seen a coach yell at a ref and the ref decide to change his call until the last two weeks. I watched the ref go on the field last week and say that the clock needed a 10 second run off, but then not ensure that it happened in our game. I watched them give SF's Harbaugh two challenges even after he had used all of his time outs. I watched numerous hits over the last two weeks that should have been flagged and weren't, and at the same time seen calls that were called that shouldn't have been. It's not these guys fault that they are in way over their heads, but THEY ARE IN WAY OVER THEIR HEADS. That's why you see all of the uproar.
[/quote]

This is really the issue for me, and the fact that it finally cost a team a game is why its really sinking in even more now. Its been like this since week one...the missed calls, the phantom calls (especially PI), the inconsistency, the feeling that the refs don't have control of the game, the slow pace of the games because they have to conference after even simple calls...NONE of this stuff was going on with the real refs. Sure, calls get blown sometimes. I've been watching NFL football pretty religiously since about 1978 and nothing I have ever seen WRT the officiating stinks like this. This is a [i]terrible[/i] situation, and the NFL, predictably, greedy bastards that they are, are circling the wagons. Those fucking assholes....and over what? A few million peanuts for some dedicated professional employees pensions? Fuck the NFL. They are in the wrong on this issue and they know it. Its too bad that the Packers are a publicly owned team. I wish this had happened to the Cowboys or something. Imagine Jerry Jones on the phone with the Goodell and other owners after his team gets screwed out of a win like that.

[quote name='Gary' timestamp='1348547192' post='1162818']

your guy? I am a Bengal fan. But Jennings did have possession, and the other guy was not even close.
[/quote]

You said something about if it happened to Bengal fans. I was saying if it did and because we are fans, that no matter if our Bengal was on offense or defense, most of us would see it as our guy having possession. It's just part of being a fan. I'm pretty sure I know you're a Bengal fan.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1348613935' post='1163139']

Bet he swats the next one down.
[/quote]

True, but IMO he didn't really have the positioning to knock it down. Grabbing it was about all he could do in that situation. Tough to knock it down when you're behind the receiver.

Now the guy who got shoved out of the way had great positioning to knock it down...

I have seen a few people talk about it and I can't quote them all but there is no one in the booth that does the replay and overturns calls. The head ref on the field is the one that watches the replay and makes the call. The guy in the booth is only in charge of deciding if a play should be looked at. He does not make the call if it should stand or be overturned, that is the refs job.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1348614357' post='1163141']
I have seen a few people talk about it and I can't quote them all but there is no one in the booth that does the replay and overturns calls. The head ref on the field is the one that watches the replay and makes the call. The guy in the booth is only in charge of deciding if a play should be looked at. He does not make the call if it should stand or be overturned, that is the refs job.
[/quote]

With the real officials that is true, but with the replacements, the officials in the booth are supposed to be giving him advice.

In the end the refs are the experts and they made the decision to go in this direction. I think that you are supposed to go with experts opinions on this. Who knows more then the referees?

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1348613380' post='1163135']
I like the replacement refs. Makes the games exciting. Reminds me of pro boxing.
[/quote]

LOL

Archived