Texans should consider Zimmer as head coach

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/24366795/texans-should-consider-zimmer-as-head-coach

Texans should consider Zimmer as head coach

December 6, 2013 3:00 pm ET

Like it or not, the Houston Texans have a perception of being a soft team.

Mention it to their players, and they get angry and defensive.

But it's there.

With the firing of coach Gary Kubiak Friday, I have the perfect way to change that.

Hire Mike Zimmer.

Zimmer, the hard-as-nails defensive coordinator for the Cincinnati Bengals, would change the culture immediately. He would bring nastiness to a team that needs it.

There is nothing soft about the way Zimmer coaches. He's done a heck of a job with the Bengals defense over the years, especially this year with the way that unit is playing without Geno Atkins and corner Leon Hall, two of the best players on defense.

Zimmer also knows how to handle problem players. See Vontaze Burfict for proof of that. He came out of Arizona State as a troubled player, which is why he was not drafted, and he's turned into a Pro Bowl-caliber linebacker. Zimmer's handling him -- Burfict even says it -- is a big reason for the change.

That means something.

Zimmer has interviewed for jobs in the past, and come up empty. His honest, in-your-face approach is said to turn off some owners. That's stupidity. Zimmer would change the culture in the Texans building the minute he took over.

So forget the idea of bringing a retread to Houston. Texans owner Bob McNair should consider Zimmer.

I can guarantee there would be no more talk of being soft when talking about the Texans

Zimmer is all that and more but doesn't the credit for Burfict go to ML not Zim? Just sayin'.

I think Marvin should get the credit in finding Burfict, getting to know him and realizing that he's not a bad guy at all, as had been his reputation.  But from that point on, the progress of Burfict can be tied to Zimmer and Paul Guenther, as well as James Harrison.   Burfict says he has learned a tremendous amount from J. Harrison.   Marvin is like a father to Burfict though, so the credit very well may need to go to him.  Marvin earned Burfict's trust and vice versa.  Without it, he wouldn't be where he is.....regards to location and as a player.  

Maybe. Baltimore has a long line of defensive coaches and that unit was consistently tough due to the foundation of players.

Touche

This team takes a huge step back if Mike Zimmer leaves.  This year he's really shown what he can do. 

Only if they go with someone outside the culture.  If Guenther or Carrier take over, I think it would be close to the same.  You would have to think his coaches have acquired his technique.  Coyle sure did in Miami.

Only if they go with someone outside the culture.  If Guenther or Carrier take over, I think it would be close to the same.  You would have to think his coaches have acquired his technique.  Coyle sure did in Miami.

Replicating technique is one thing, but getting inside the mind of Zimmer is another.   The plays he calls, the schemes he devises.....sure he gets input, but ultimately it comes down to what he wants done, which play he wants against a particular formation or personnel group. 

I think the blow can be softened by promoting from within, but I would imagine there will be a noticeable difference in efficiency on defense.  He puts players in position to succeed......

Replicating technique is one thing, but getting inside the mind of Zimmer is another.   The plays he calls, the schemes he devises.....sure he gets input, but ultimately it comes down to what he wants done, which play he wants against a particular formation or personnel group. 

I think the blow can be softened by promoting from within, but I would imagine there will be a noticeable difference in efficiency on defense.  He puts players in position to succeed......

One thing I think being overlooked is that Zimmer is the glue that holds the Defense together.  He has their respect and confidence, they WANT to play for him and play well.  And I think even more so for Zim than Marvin.   THAT is what is going to be difficult (at best) to replace if he leaves even if they hire from within.

If Zim is a head coach anywhere, I really hope its here.  I think the aforementioned respect and confidence the D has for him would translate to the whole team as well.

Speaking of Coyle...if Miami's playoff Pickett's Charge falls short, that franchise has been known to shitcan staffs in a heartbeat.

Zimmer when he arrived did a fabulous job of alchemy with the defensive talent he had. 

But I think this defense is now talented enough to survive the loss of Zimmer, and I think I trust Marvin enough now to bring in a capable replacement.

Archived