http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2014/07/28/bengals-mohamed-sanu-shows-rookie-potential/13299893/

NO CONFUSION: This time last year, the name Margus Hunt couldn't be uttered without "project" soon to follow. He represented 6-feet-8 inches and 290 pounds of clay for defensive line coach Jay Hayes to mold.

Very lost, confused clay.

One year later, the former Junior Olympic discus and shot-put champion from Estonia can hardly make comparisons from one year to the next. They feel too different.

"This whole experience has been night and day," said Hunt, who knew nothing about football until he arrived as a freshman at SMU. "I feel a lot more comfortable with the plays we have in and with the defense itself."

The 2013 second-round pick trickled into the rotation last year, accelerated off essentially a redshirt year when injuries crept up on the defensive line.

He moved both inside, outside and across both end positions, playing about 10 percent of the team's defensive snaps.

In his final two games he managed four quarterback hurries in 27 snaps, compared to six in his first 143. The project began, ever so slightly, to evolve into production.

"Biggest thing to me was to learn how I need to play to play this defense, techniques we need to do and gap responsibilities and everything that goes with it and all the plays," said Hunt, crediting some of his development also to working on scout team against Andre Smith and Anthony Collins. "That was the most important thing for me to learn. Now that I have it down I can kind of let it loose."

So the Bengals hope. Defensive coordinator Paul Guenther spent entire days during this offseason going through all Hunt's game tape. They analyzed his technique failures, flaws and successes.

Guenther moved him predominantly to left defensive end in the rotation, but Hunt still feels comfortable charging from any position on the line.

Hunt compared the NFL to chess, a game he feels he now knows enough to play. Hayes will admit he's far from checkmate.

"Good and bad," Hayes said. "I see him doing better things. His run game is pretty good. I need to get him lower and playing with more power in his pass rush. I think he will. It will come."

This was easily my biggest concern with this draft was taking an older, rookie project in the 2nd round.  I figured it would be year 3 before we saw anything out of him.  If he can burst onto the scene this year and make a difference that will be HUGE for this team.  You can never have too many good defensive linemen.  It wouldn't hurt if he blocked a kick or two either!

I'd love for Devon Still to turn into a player as well.  I thought he was a steal on draft day.

I did too. Trust me I was thrilled that we got him. I watched most all his games at psu. But he's been a huge disappointment so far. And I don't think he has the right attitude for a d lineman

Still wasn't expected to play a lot his rookie year.  Last year he got hurt.  I think this year would be a better year to judge him on.

When Thompson vs Still has had playing time. Thompson has played far better. And that was not expected !

I'd love for Devon Still to turn into a player as well.  I thought he was a steal on draft day.

No one was more estatic than me when we took him. I agree he has yet to produce what we all hoped and expected. I haven't given up on him just yet although I wonder how he would do at DE.

The big issue is his daughter. It must be hard for him to focus and maintain his intesity with her on his mind.

Hunt doesn't have to play at an All Pro level. He just needs to be effective as part of the rotation at DE. That is the key part of the equation where the collective depth of the group exceeds the individual talent of any single player. Keep coming in waves and grind down your opponents over the course of the game. Losing MJ is mitigated if the depth at DE remains strong. Hunt sounds ready to rock with a year under his belt.

That is an absolutely ridiculous statement to make after only 1 year stuck behind perhaps the best d-line in the league.

No its not. Still is a 2nd round pick who has done nothing in 2 years. There was also Brandon Thompson, drafted the same year as Still but later in the draft and has completely outplayed him.

Sorry Devon, get off the boards and get to practice.

No its not. Still is a 2nd round pick who has done nothing in 2 years. There was also Brandon Thompson, drafted the same year as Still but later in the draft and has completely outplayed him.

Are you aware of what is going on his personal life?

Hunt doesn't have to play at an All Pro level. He just needs to be effective as part of the rotation at DE. That is the key part of the equation where the collective depth of the group exceeds the individual talent of any single player. Keep coming in waves and grind down your opponents over the course of the game. Losing MJ is mitigated if the depth at DE remains strong. Hunt sounds ready to rock with a year under his belt.

Agree with this.   I'd like to see this Defense get above 50 sacks

I thought so too- but so far he is one of the biggest draft disappointments in years, in my opinion.

Still wasn't expected to play a lot his rookie year.  Last year he got hurt.  I think this year would be a better year to judge him on.

Are you aware of what is going on his personal life?

I think that the kid had a lot to learn as a rookie, and didn't come on like I had hoped he would. He WAS hurt last year and I agree with Jason that this year would be the year to start judging... taking into consideration his poor little girls fight against leukemia.

Archived