Vontaze Burfict blames Bengals teammate for playoff loss to Stealers

By John Breech / CBSSports.com

March 01, 2016 10:31 PM ET

For most people in Cincinnati, the Bengals' wild-card playoff loss to the Stealers will go down as one of the most painful defeats in franchise history.

Over the final 1:30 of the fourth quarter, the Bengals suffered a complete meltdown, and in the process, they allowed an injured Ben Roethlisberger to drive the Stealers 74 yards in 69 seconds for the winning field goal.

A big part of the Stealers' drive came with under 25 seconds left in the game when the Bengals were called for consecutive personal foul penalties, which gave the Stealers 30 free yards. One of those penalities was called on Vontaze Burfict, who was flagged for hitting Stealers wide receiver Antonio Brown in the head.

Although a lot of people blamed Burfict for the Bengals' loss, Burfict apparently doesn't feel the same way. During an interview with ESPN's Josina Anderson, the Bengals linebacker said that the loss wasn't his fault.

Burfict was asked directly if he blamed himself for the loss against the Stealers.

"No, I don't," Burfict said.

According to Burfict, most of the blame for the loss should fall on a teammate, who he didn't name

"There was only a minute left in the game," Burfict said. "Coach always says, 'Trust a teammate to pack your parachute,' and I trusted my teammate. I don't want to say any names, but I trusted my teammates to execute and finish the game."

Burfict is almost certainly referring to running back Jeremy Hill, who lost a fumble to the Stealers in Pittsburgh territory -- after the Bengals got the ball on a Burfict interception -- with just 1:23 left in the game. Unlike Burfict, Hill was willing to take responsibility for the loss.

The entire interview, which you can see here, is fascinating and definitely worth a watch. A portion of the interview was released on Feb. 23, but the entire interview wasn't released until Tuesday.

Burfict spent a good chunk of the interview giving a pretty well-rounded defense of his illegal hit of Brown.

"I tried to pull up at the last second, but it was obviously too late -- it's a bang-bang play," Burfict said.

The linebacker also talked about his meeting with Roger Goodell. Burfict flew to New York in February to appeal the three-game suspension he was handed for his hit on Brown.

"One question that [Goodell] asked me, 'How do you feel about your opponents when they get hurt?'" Burfict said. "And I said, 'In the moment, you can't care about your opponent because if you care about them you're going to mess up your assignment.' His point was, I have to care about my opponent. I understand where he's coming from because if you care about your opponent, you'll probably play cleaner."

Burfict also added that Goodell told him to play cleaner.

"They were just telling me, 'I don't want this to happen again. I hope this is the last time we have to meet,'" Burfict said.

Despite his troubles, Burfict is still beloved by the Bengals' coaching staff. Defensive coordinator Paul Guenther recently said that he's going to hire Burfict as a coach when the linebacker retires.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25501510/vontaze-burfict-blames-bengals-teammate-for-playoff-loss-to-Stealers

He could definitely stand to be more of a leader, this is bush league. He's right in what he is saying but putting this out there as a way to deflect from your mistake is immature and not something a good leader would do, imo. Let's just hope everyone can use this as motivation and grow into a better team. 

vontazee burfict need's to stop talking to the media because they are trying to do everything they can to destroy his career.

Rule #1 in Media Relations 101: when speaking to them can be avoided, do so at all costs. When there is a narrative to be exploited, they will take every punctuation mark and make it earth-ending. 

And lol @ those tsk-tsk squawking fucking heads after that interview. Keep spouting that sainted NFL narrative more, will you? 

I'm glad he said it and I don't care that he did it publically.  Look at Hill's tweet, he knows it.  It's time for these guys to start holding everyone in the locker room accountable for not playing up to a level of anything other than excellence.  If someone needs to be called out, so be it.  This is one of the reasons why I expect Hill to come back refocused and stronger than ever next year.

I'm glad he said it and I don't care that he did it publically.  Look at Hill's tweet, he knows it.  It's time for these guys to start holding everyone in the locker room accountable for not playing up to a level of anything other than excellence.  If someone needs to be called out, so be it.  This is one of the reasons why I expect Hill to come back refocused and stronger than ever next year.

It's like he's not accepting his role in the loss though, even after Hill's fumble the team had a good chance to win as it would have been 4th & 17 with a QB that couldn't throw the ball longer than 10 yards with any accuracy. So while yes Hill did fuck up by fumbling, Vontaze and Pacman made mistakes and should be able to admit it. 

It's like he's not accepting his role in the loss though, even after Hill's fumble the team had a good chance to win as it would have been 4th & 17 with a QB that couldn't throw the ball longer than 10 yards with any accuracy. So while yes Hill did fuck up by fumbling, Vontaze and Pacman made mistakes and should be able to admit it. 

Breech cherry picked the interview to support his argument. Watch the whole interview....

“I felt bad about that play because I hurt teammates and my coaches.”

“What portion of the result do you put on yourself and some of your actions in the game?”

“Honestly, just the hit”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought Guenther said Burfict was smart?  Burfict is right, but he should probably keep the stuff about Hill in house.  I agree that Burfict's play throughout the game was excellent.  The hit was bad.  I think he had time to pull up and due to his emotions decided to give Brown a pop.  To me it's all the yapping and complaining that is messing with his game.  He needs to be more in control and this crap won't happen.

The only thing Burfict has done wrong thus far is pulling up when he could have career'd that little bitch. 

It's fucked up but I completely agree. The rancor from the media, fans and rivals could not be any worse. And neither could the punishment from the league. Especially the way Brown has been campaigning against him after kicking that punter in the face (which IMO was a dirtier play than Burfict's).

Yeah, fuck 'em

I'm 100% with him. Hill blew that game. He held the future and hopes of every member and fan in his hands, but didn't give a shit. Tez simply said what the rest of his teammates say behind Hill's back. Why should anyone be shocked. This is the same thing republicans are going through with trump. He says what everyone wishes they could say. Hill obviously hasn't been forgiven and shouldn't be.

I re-watched the interview. 'Tez is good people, you can just tell. 

Unlike that smug-assed Joey Porter. The close up of the scrum with the officials and Adam showed clearly how that prick goaded everyone. No one--not the officials, not the NFL, and not fucking ESPN--has EVER explained why he was allowed on that field...or more importantly...why he was not flagged! 

I seethe anew every time I see that last minute, and my visceral hatred of the NFL grows even more.

I'm 100% with him. Hill blew that game. He held the future and hopes of every member and fan in his hands, but didn't give a shit. Tez simply said what the rest of his teammates say behind Hill's back. Why should anyone be shocked. This is the same thing republicans are going through with trump. He says what everyone racist, xenophobic, misogynist wishes they could say. Hill obviously hasn't been forgiven and shouldn't be.

FIFY

RhodeIslandBengalFan said:

I'm 100% with him. Hill blew that game. He held the future and hopes of every member and fan in his hands, but didn't give a shit. Tez simply said what the rest of his teammates say behind Hill's back. Why should anyone be shocked. This is the same thing republicans are going through with trump. He says what everyone racist, xenophobic, misogynist wishes they could say. Hill obviously hasn't been forgiven and shouldn't be.

Lucid posted

FIFY

That seems like a personal attack to me.  RIBF doesn't dislike Hill because of his skin color, he dislikes him because he had a bad year and fumbled at the worst possible moment against our most hated enemy.

That seems like a personal attack to me.  RIBF doesn't dislike Hill because of his skin color, he dislikes him because he had a bad year and fumbled at the worst possible moment against our most hated enemy.

Whoa! Whoa! Look at my #15 post. Than compare #18. the change of words by Lucid. You have a problem with what was said. Call him out...nah that won't happen and when it does it'll be with veiled " that's ok man". why does he have the ability to re edit my content. Than make it look like I said it. Seems like a flaw in the system. Time to take off my gloves here if people can re edit your comments, but you all ain't chasing me away. WTF

Whoa! Whoa! Look at my #15 post. Than compare #18. the change of words by Lucid. You have a problem with what was said. Call him out...nah that won't happen and when it does it'll be with veiled " that's ok man". why does he have the ability to re edit my content. Than make it look like I said it. Seems like a flaw in the system. Time to take off my gloves here if people can re edit your comments, but you all ain't chasing me away. WTF

I was defending you.  Lucid made what I considered to be a personal attack on you by making that edit.

Archived