Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
akiliMVP

Drafting a quarterback

Recommended Posts

Haven't seen a lot of talk about this around here. Figured we could get a good discussion going about it.

 

Andy Dalton. He is who he is. Low level NFL starter. I really do like him. He's done good things for us but never got us over the playoff hump. He has no ties to the new staff and is 31 years old. We can cut him next year and see very little impact to the cap. There's no NFL starting level talent on the roster behind him. It makes a ton of sense to take a guy now and let him sit under Andy a year. Get a guy who fits Taylor's system.

 

Now do we use #11 on a QB? I highly doubt that. Haskins and Murray will be long gone. Next guy up is Lock. He would be worth 11. Tall, big arm, competitive. Has accuracy issues. Compares favorably to Matt Stafford. I think he goes to the Broncos at some point in the top 10. 

 

Round 2 there will still be talent. Daniel Jones could fall. Will Grier, Ryan Finley, Clayton Thorson and Jarrett Stidham could all be there and worthy of the pick. If we love one of these guys it would be logical to move up to the end of the first to get that extra year of control.

 

I have no idea who we've visited or scouted at QB so far to make any guesses.

 

Who do you guys like at QB? Who fits what Taylor likes? Should we skip a QB and hope to find one next year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Draft a QB...sure--beats having Driskel try his magic again. 

 

But as a reason to "fit what Boy Wonder likes" or "fits (his) system":

 

He doesn't have a system--other than what maybe he has written on napkins over the years. He's never developed an offense...or even had that much experience working with NFL QB's. He's no Van Pelt. So, how would he know what fits his--or anyone else's--"system" to the point where anyone would want to jettison the second all-time leading passer in franchise history? 

 

There is no "playoff hump" to get over now. After several straight 5-11 records or worse, figure both passer and erstwhile HC will be gone, and the successors can worry about that "hump" and the QB solution thereof.       

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Haskins slides and we can trade up for him giving up a 3, or if he somehow falls to 11 I'm in.  New coaches like new QBs.  Dalton is good but not great and he's on a team friendly contract this season and next.  If they can get Haskins and let him learn behind Dalton for a season then trade Dalton I think it's a good idea.  

 

But I don't think he gets close to us.  Not sure I'd take Lock at 11 and I sure wouldn't sacrifice a pick for him.  

 

But if we want to draft a QB next season we need to suck or be willing to give up a boatload to get him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jason said:

If Haskins slides and we can trade up for him giving up a 3, or if he somehow falls to 11 I'm in.  New coaches like new QBs.  Dalton is good but not great and he's on a team friendly contract this season and next.  If they can get Haskins and let him learn behind Dalton for a season then trade Dalton I think it's a good idea.  

 

But I don't think he gets close to us.  Not sure I'd take Lock at 11 and I sure wouldn't sacrifice a pick for him.  

 

But if we want to draft a QB next season we need to suck or be willing to give up a boatload to get him.

If Haskins starts to fall, I'd do what it takes to move up a few spots to get him too.  I don't have an option on Lock, b/c I just haven't seen him at all.  I don't know how you can judge him against the big boys b/c of lack of real talent around him.  If Taylor likes him enough to take at 11, then I'm on board for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why on Earth would you spend a high draft pick on a QB and then stick him behind this garbage OL?  Why not just get some crackhead to go all Tonya Harding on his kneecap and save ourselves the time & money?

 

What am I saying, a broken-knee QB is just the sort of first round pick we'd love.  Let him sit on IR for 3 years then renew his contract.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Why on Earth would you spend a high draft pick on a QB and then stick him behind this garbage OL?  Why not just get some crackhead to go all Tonya Harding on his kneecap and save ourselves the time & money?

 

What am I saying, a broken-knee QB is just the sort of first round pick we'd love.  Let him sit on IR for 3 years then renew his contract.

Because you have to start the rebuild somewhere.  And the O-line has a chance to get better.  Draft the QB this year and the tackle next.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jason said:

Because you have to start the rebuild somewhere.  And the O-line has a chance to get better.  Draft the QB this year and the tackle next.

 

Yeah, but the rookie OT probably isn't going to get his knee blown up because the QB sucks.  Kind of a "cart before the horse" situation the way I see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Why on Earth would you spend a high draft pick on a QB and then stick him behind this garbage OL?  Why not just get some crackhead to go all Tonya Harding on his kneecap and save ourselves the time & money?

 

What am I saying, a broken-knee QB is just the sort of first round pick we'd love.  Let him sit on IR for 3 years then renew his contract.

3 yrs 21 million, that is the standard contract for all backups who are thrust into starting positions here.

 

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

Because you have to start the rebuild somewhere.  And the O-line has a chance to get better.  Draft the QB this year and the tackle next.

No offense but this is a horrible idea. The Bengals are in a win now mode with Dalton and Green, drafting a QB early doesn't help. 

 

By resigning basically the same team as last year it's clear the Bengals are trying recreate the team that was 4-1 before the injuries.

 

Draft an OT and pray Hart doesn't see the field, that would be the ideal situation for the first round pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

3 yrs 21 million, that is the standard contract for all backups who are thrust into starting positions here.

 

No offense but this is a horrible idea. The Bengals are in a win now mode with Dalton and Green, drafting a QB early doesn't help. 

 

By resigning basically the same team as last year it's clear the Bengals are trying recreate the team that was 4-1 before the injuries.

 

Draft an OT and pray Hart doesn't see the field, that would be the ideal situation for the first round pick.

The win now mode has resulted in 3 straight losing seasons.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jason said:

The win now mode has resulted in 3 straight losing seasons.

The 3 straight losing seasons can be tied to the deterioration of the offensive line. 

 

Losing Zeitler and Whit combined with missing on Ced &Fisher in the draft is the reason why the Bengals have had 3 losing seasons...not being "win now" mode.

 

Drafting an OT in the first round helps Dalton, Green, and Mixon while drafting a QB helps no one. 

 

I could see drafting a QB on day 3 of the draft, but the Bengals have too many needs to draft a backup in the first 3 rounds.

 

If Dalton can't get it done with a revamped oline, conference leading rusher, and a very good WR corp then draft a QB early next year. The coaching staff has publicly backed Dalton, they need to back it up by improving the offensive line. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jason said:

The win now mode has resulted in 3 straight losing seasons.

 

Fair..  and I'm not 100% convinced we're even in "win later" mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the QB's listed....Murray, Haskins, Lock are the best of mediocre candidates.  They might be getting all the QB hype but the media has to promote someone but I think the QB's coming out next year or 2 are a lot better.  Andy might not be a pro bowler but is decent.  He has 2 more years and is cheap for a starter.  I would wait for someone better.

 

And as others are saying if you do not fix the other issues it won't matter who the QB is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Purdue fan, I really only watched Haskins in one game this past season...and he and his team looked God awful.  

 

It’s hard to imagine that he really is good enough to be a 1st-rounder.

 

:shrug: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Cricket said:

...and he and his team looked God awful.  

and then went on to put up 6 tds and 400 yards against Meatchicken...which had the best defense in the country going in.

 

that Purdue debacle cost them a spot in the playoffs.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, spicoli said:

and then went on to put up 6 tds and 400 yards against Meatchicken...which had the best defense in the country going in.

 

that Purdue debacle cost them a spot in the playoffs.

 

...so he’s inconsistent.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Cricket said:

 

...so he’s inconsistent.

 

 

 

LOL, clearly a Buckeye hater. If he's there at 11 and you're not blown away by a great trade you pull the trigger, he's for real.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Cricket said:

 

...so he’s inconsistent.

 

 

 

I mean 5000 yards and 50 tds in 14 games....he obviously didn't play well against the Boilerhaters but overall I'd say he was pretty damn consistent.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

So, how would he know what fits his--or anyone else's--"system" to the point where anyone would want to jettison the second all-time leading passer in franchise history? 

       

Not sure why this stat means anything. Jay Cutler is the all-time Chicago Bears passing leader.

 

 I totally agree there is no reason to draft a QB in this draft for the other reasons you stated. 

 

A trade for Rosen for a 2nd rounder makes more sense if Arizona goes Murray. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2019 at 5:13 PM, PatternMaster said:

The 3 straight losing seasons can be tied to the deterioration of the offensive line. 

 

Losing Zeitler and Whit combined with missing on Ced &Fisher in the draft is the reason why the Bengals have had 3 losing seasons...not being "win now" mode.

 

Drafting an OT in the first round helps Dalton, Green, and Mixon while drafting a QB helps no one. 

 

I could see drafting a QB on day 3 of the draft, but the Bengals have too many needs to draft a backup in the first 3 rounds.

 

If Dalton can't get it done with a revamped oline, conference leading rusher, and a very good WR corp then draft a QB early next year. The coaching staff has publicly backed Dalton, they need to back it up by improving the offensive line. 

 

 

This.

 

What just kills me is that after the 2016 season the Bengals had to know that Ced and Fisher were busts  and what do they do? During the next two drafts they use exactly one premium pick on the offensive line. Paul Brown is spinning in his grave.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, gupps said:

This.

 

What just kills me is that after the 2016 season the Bengals had to know that Ced and Fisher were busts  and what do they do? During the next two drafts they use exactly one premium pick on the offensive line. Paul Brown is spinning in his grave.

 

 

 

Hard to think of that move making sense unless you're just milking your NFL franchise for maximum short-term income.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

 

 

Hard to think of that move making sense unless you're just milking your NFL franchise for maximum short-term income.   

Yeah, Luminas don't buy themselves yanno.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, gupps said:

Yeah, Luminas don't buy themselves yanno.

 

 

His great-great-grandchildren will never have to work a Dey in their lives.

 

:gobengals:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2019 at 5:13 PM, PatternMaster said:

The 3 straight losing seasons can be tied to the deterioration of the offensive line. 

 

Losing Zeitler and Whit combined with missing on Ced &Fisher in the draft is the reason why the Bengals have had 3 losing seasons...not being "win now" mode.

 

Drafting an OT in the first round helps Dalton, Green, and Mixon while drafting a QB helps no one. 

 

I could see drafting a QB on day 3 of the draft, but the Bengals have too many needs to draft a backup in the first 3 rounds.

 

If Dalton can't get it done with a revamped oline, conference leading rusher, and a very good WR corp then draft a QB early next year. The coaching staff has publicly backed Dalton, they need to back it up by improving the offensive line. 

 

 

Did you see the defense last year?

what “win-now” mode?

The QB is perfectly average, the WR’s foot explodes at random times, the O-Line is trash, and the defense has ZERO LB’s or depth. 

 

You can think theyre in win-now, but I choose to think they’re pretty far from prime time. Get a QB if you think he’s a franchise guy. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

win now mode...lol

this team is in make shit tons of money mode always... winning is secondary 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Go-Bengals.com on Facebook

Go-Bengals.com on Twitter

×