Jump to content

GoBengals

Are you wanting to tank right now for picks?

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

We got decent qbs on the bench right now. Will they ever get a shot? It appears not. No matter how bad Dalton plays. 

 

No need to draft Tua or whoever. But I would take Hurts.  We need big slobber knockers. I'd actually roll with Dalton if forced to and draft almost all lineman

This would be a bunch of bad decisions. QB is more valuable than OL. Why? Because you can find starting lineman in the middle rounds of a draft. This organization just sucks at drafting OL now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a look at how many picks we have had over the last 3 drafts - plenty. Two years in a row with 11 I believe. no help if you blow the draft. On the old Bengal forum I was always lambasted for saying this team could not win given the management structure. It can't. DECADES of failure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Madieu Superstar said:

This would be a bunch of bad decisions. QB is more valuable than OL. Why? Because you can find starting lineman in the middle rounds of a draft. This organization just sucks at drafting OL now

Defensive lineman and linebackers too. Not just oline. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, GoBengals said:

thoughts?  i know some hate tanking no matter what... but i want top 5 picks.

Tanking is soul destroying and will set this football club back another 5 years.

 

I want to see us dig our way out, build character, build winners.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Spotto said:

Tanking is soul destroying and will set this football club back another 5 years.

 

I want to see us dig our way out, build character, build winners.

Sounds good but do they have the players and coaches to get it done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why tank when we can simply stay the course?  Unless it involves making a few trades to get some draft picks not sure what else they need to do to keep losing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite true. "Tanking" requires deliberate intent. If coaches mandate it, that would be the fastest way to the unemployment line and a certain shunning of any future employment. Same for players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would genuinely feel better if they were actually tanking. That would mean a plan. What we have here is so much worse - a genuinely bad football team that looks like it is tanking when the organization is actually trying. That's absolutely soul-crushing. At least the Dolphins are doing this on purpose...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

Few things

 

1. I do not trust this team at all with a top 2 pick. 

2. I'd prefer to trade down as much as possible and exclusively draft lineman on both sides and linebackers.

3. Firm believer that the college kids are coming out way more prepared than they were just 10 years ago. Believe competent QBs can be picked up in the 5th round or later. Even undrafted free agents. But we got two on the roster now that showed glimpses during preseason sooooo, I doubt we really need to draft a qb.  

They have done well with their last 3 top 5 picks. 
 

To the original question, there is no way they make the playoffs at this point, so get the best pick possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, membengal said:

I would genuinely feel better if they were actually tanking. That would mean a plan. What we have here is so much worse - a genuinely bad football team that looks like it is tanking when the organization is actually trying. That's absolutely soul-crushing. At least the Dolphins are doing this on purpose...

Going back to the post above: it is illogical to think even Miami is "doing this on purpose". What player or coach is going to hang his present or future employment considerations--to be openly admitting being quitters--simply so their bosses might get a draft pick? That defies any reasoning.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Going back to the post above: it is illogical to think even Miami is "doing this on purpose". What player or coach is going to hang his present or future employment considerations--to be openly admitting being quitters--simply so their bosses might get a draft pick? That defies any reasoning.  

The team isn't tanking it is just bad.  What is clear is the offensive line is TERRIBLE and I think it is more the fault of the O line coach than the players.  No, we don't have superstars on the o line right now but they are professional football players and the fact that the running backs rushed 16 times for 0 yards against the 21st ranked rush defense is CRIMINAL.  There simply is no excuse for what I saw in the run game yesterday.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Going back to the post above: it is illogical to think even Miami is "doing this on purpose". What player or coach is going to hang his present or future employment considerations--to be openly admitting being quitters--simply so their bosses might get a draft pick? That defies any reasoning.  

Not the players - but definitely the front office is absolutely doing that on purpose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think we have to want to tank, and I also don't think the team is trying to tank.

 

I think they are that bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, membengal said:

Not the players - but definitely the front office is absolutely doing that on purpose.

I don't believe that either. I don't believe MB likes seeing empty stadiums. I don't believe he enjoys the shit he's given by the fans. I don't believe he doesn't care about winning. I don't believe he enjoys being the laughing stock of the NFL. I think this team will be picking #1 in which case, I think you have to go quarterback. Preferably, one who can also run and run well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, spicoli said:

I wanna tank for two years actually. Chase Young this year, Justin Fields next. 
Those will easily be the the two best players in the draft for the next 2 years. 

If you are going to tank for two years, I want Trevor Lawrence instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could put the galloping ghost behind this line and he'd get killed. I think they need to address O-line and LB for the next draft, then QB. I do like AD, but he has been awful this year, even when he has had time. The picks yesterday, no excuse for any of them. O-line coach needs to go, D-coach needs to go. His defense scheme seems to be none. I have no idea that not matter what LB's we send out, they can't cover RB or TE and cannot tackle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SF2 said:

The team isn't tanking it is just bad.  What is clear is the offensive line is TERRIBLE and I think it is more the fault of the O line coach than the players.  No, we don't have superstars on the o line right now but they are professional football players and the fact that the running backs rushed 16 times for 0 yards against the 21st ranked rush defense is CRIMINAL.  There simply is no excuse for what I saw in the run game yesterday.

Agreed. After Week 6, the Bengals had seen 30% of their running plays stuffed behind the line of scrimmage. Far and away the worst percentage in the league. What's that number now?!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, OneHeartBeat said:

I don't believe that either. I don't believe MB likes seeing empty stadiums. I don't believe he enjoys the shit he's given by the fans. I don't believe he doesn't care about winning. I don't believe he enjoys being the laughing stock of the NFL. I think this team will be picking #1 in which case, I think you have to go quarterback. Preferably, one who can also run and run well. 

My point is the Dolphins front office is absolutely tanking. The dolphins players are not. I was responding to a specific point. I said above I don’t believe the bengals are tanking - they’re just bad. I said above I would feel better if the front office was tanking - at least this would be with a purpose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, membengal said:

My point is the Dolphins front office is absolutely tanking. The dolphins players are not. I was responding to a specific point. I said above I don’t believe the bengals are tanking - they’re just bad. I said above I would feel better if the front office was tanking - at least this would be with a purpose.

Yes there is a distinction...you are correct. With that said, what does a front office do (or does not) to facilitate "tanking"? Purposely make bad moves? Purposely make no moves? 

 

I have seen teams in MLB perform fire sales in trading off best assets--like the Astros a half dozen years ago. Have seen the same with a few in the NBA (but what does that get them, other than a few more lottery balls?). 

 

Can't see how an NFL front office would perform such a task--and not have the media catch on?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tanking is an absurd idea. Lest ye forget when Cincy had a long run not long ago of picking very early in the draft.

It never made one iota of difference in regard to post season wins. 

Draft smart wherever you pick and cross your fingers....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Front office can tank by trading good players away for draft picks during the season if you want to call it that.  It certainly hurts the team’s ability to win that season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Spotto said:

Tanking is soul destroying and will set this football club back another 5 years.

 

I want to see us dig our way out, build character, build winners.

Mike Brown is soul destroying.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Yes there is a distinction...you are correct. With that said, what does a front office do (or does not) to facilitate "tanking"? Purposely make bad moves? Purposely make no moves? 

 

I have seen teams in MLB perform fire sales in trading off best assets--like the Astros a half dozen years ago. Have seen the same with a few in the NBA (but what does that get them, other than a few more lottery balls?). 

 

Can't see how an NFL front office would perform such a task--and not have the media catch on?   

In Miami's case, you unload a legit young LT for picks, and a legit young S for picks. Both of those pieces looked like building blocks, they booted both of them for draft capital, wounding the chances of winning short term.  Something similar from the Bengals would involve having dealt a healthy WJIII and Tyler Boyd in addition to selling on Atkins, Dunlap and Green. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

If you are going to tank for two years, I want Trevor Lawrence instead.

Both still have a season and a half. I’ll wait to make a call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jason said:

Both still have a season and a half. I’ll wait to make a call.

Well we are just prognosticating so ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...