Bengals v Ratbirds Game Day Thread

2 hours ago, Hooky said:

Not sure if I posted it or not. But I was. I am always critical of decisions just to pad stats. Do you really think that I'm defending Harbaugh. Again, I am critical of them putting Burrow at risk to pad stats. I could give two shits if our backups scored 3 TDs in the last 2 minutes, but I would prefer whatever gets the game over quicker to preserve our health.

No I don't think you are defending Harbaugh, I just don't think you cared about Baltimore, why would you?

How many years have the Rats and Steelers done things to demoralize us? They were up last year by 20 and zero blitzed us 8 times. 

It's time we start punching these guys in the mouth, make them intimidated to play us. That's what AFC North football is.

2 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

I was in attendance at that drubbing. I couldn’t help thinking at the time: “I wouldn’t want to face the Oilers again in the playoffs after this”

OK, the Bengals beat them in the 1990 Playoffs 41-14. Ironically, the last playoff win. 

Man did Wyche hate Glanville. 

3 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

No I don't think you are defending Harbaugh, I just don't think you cared about Baltimore, why would you?

How many years have the Rats and Stealers done things to demoralize us? They were up last year by 20 and zero blitzed us 8 times. 

It's time we start punching these guys in the mouth, make them intimidated to play us. That's that AFC North football is.

Again, if you re-read my post, I don't care about them. I'd love if they were demoralized. But again, I am critical of them risking Burrow's knee to get there. Can you honestly tell me that you weren't scared shitless when Burrow was scrambling around back there when the game was already won? Do you really think that Burrow and Zac were worried that the rats would score 3 TDs in 5 minutes? If so, why didn't they run the ball and burn clock? Did they think our D is that awful?

1 minute ago, Hooky said:

Again, if you re-read my post, I don't care about them. I'd love if they were demoralized. But again, I am critical of them risking Burrow's knee to get there. Can you honestly tell me that you weren't scared shitless when Burrow was scrambling around back there when the game was already won? Do you really think that Burrow and Zac were worried that the rats would score 3 TDs in 5 minutes? If so, why didn't they run the ball and burn clock? Did they think our D is that awful?

No I wasn't worried about Joe getting hurt. I get the shell shock that Bengals fans have but it's a bit over the top when we worry about any potential injury that may come. At some point I hope you folks can just sit back and enjoy how good this team is and how good it has the potential to be. I get that because of our history that is hard, but man it also makes this board insufferable at times. 

8 minutes ago, Hooky said:

Newsflash: HE DIDN’T GET HURT! It all worked out just fine. Ffs, let it go man!

2 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

No I wasn't worried about Joe getting hurt. I get the shell shock that Bengals fans have but it's a bit over the top when we worry about any potential injury that may come. At some point I hope you folks can just sit back and enjoy how good this team is and how good it has the potential to be. I get that because of our history that is hard, but man it also makes this board insufferable at times. 

It's hard to believe that you aren't worried about him getting hurt needlessly when the board was harping on protecting him the whole off-season. It has nothing to do with history because this is different team. I've never been in the same old bengals, team eeyore camp. I am leery of their chances based on the last two teams they play. KC is obviously tough and we sucked against the turds the first game. I am enjoying that they clinched a winning record, but will wait and see how they do the rest of the season.

7 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Newsflash: HE DIDN’T GET HURT! It all worked out just fine. Ffs, let it go man!

This time. I usually ignore your posts any way, but if you think it's fine to take chances like that, then you aren't too bright.

2 minutes ago, Hooky said:

It's hard to believe that you aren't worried about him getting hurt needlessly when the board was harping on protecting him the whole off-season. It has nothing to do with history because this is different team. I've never been in the same old bengals, team eeyore camp. I am leery of their chances based on the last two teams they play. KC is obviously tough and we sucked against the turds the first game. I am enjoying that they clinched a winning record, but will wait and see how they do the rest of the season.

Nope was not worried, especially after Joe basically on one of the first plays of the game had their player on his back and he shed him off and made a play to Tee. He didn't even come close to getting hurt on that play in fact it was pretty damned impressive how well he held up on it, showed me just how tough he is. 

I share the concern about the next two teams too, but I do think we will make the playoffs at this point. We have what like at 87% chance right now?

2 hours ago, Hooky said:

That is horse shit. He all but admitted that he was trying to run up his stats. And he risked injury to do it. He handed off  the ball once in the 2nd half and that was on the first drive. I can't believe that people aren't more critical of whomever's decision it was to throw every down up 20 points with 8 minutes left. Throwing down field up 20 points with 2 minutes left to get the record because he wanted to make sure the rats didn't come back?  That makes sense. He has said a lot of stupid shit this season, but he's just a kid. Anybody on here being objective should feel the same way about the strategy. The same people that were clamoring all off season about protecting Burrow should be critical of putting him at risk just to get a record. It's not personal. Just common sense.

It's not horseshit.  It's Burrow's job to play.  If Taylor wants to save him, take him out.  Honestly, that's what I wanted to see happen.  Didn't like him running around late. 

BUT....The end result was good.  I like smacking those guys in the face.  The Bengals need a little more cockiness.  Especially Taylor.  I'm glad they pissed off Harbaugh and the Ratbirds.  A big dish of FU has been needed for all the laughter and derision that has come directly from teams like Baltimore and Pittsburgh.  I think the boys in the room liked it too.  Hopefully they don't get too high.  We'll see this weekend.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Nope was not worried, especially after Joe basically on one of the first plays of the game had their player on his back and he shed him off and made a play to Tee. He didn't even come close to getting hurt on that play in fact it was pretty damned impressive how well he held up on it, showed me just how tough he is. 

I share the concern about the next two teams too, but I do think we will make the playoffs at this point. We have what like at 87% chance right now?

You should be concerned.  Burrow isn't going to be able to do that shit all the time.  He will get hurt eventually.  This line blows and the Bengals did very little to improve it in the offseason.  Imagine how good they could be with just an average OL?

3 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

You should be concerned.  Burrow isn't going to be able to do that shit all the time.  He will get hurt eventually.  This line blows and the Bengals did very little to improve it in the offseason.  Imagine how good they could be with just an average OL?

I'm not. That injury last year was flukish. But yes they do need to address the line as I agree if they do that and stay at least as good everywhere else, this is a superbowl team.

3 hours ago, Hooky said:

That is horse shit. He all but admitted that he was trying to run up his stats. And he risked injury to do it. He handed off  the ball once in the 2nd half and that was on the first drive. I can't believe that people aren't more critical of whomever's decision it was to throw every down up 20 points with 8 minutes left. Throwing down field up 20 points with 2 minutes left to get the record because he wanted to make sure the rats didn't come back?  That makes sense. He has said a lot of stupid shit this season, but he's just a kid. Anybody on here being objective should feel the same way about the strategy. The same people that were clamoring all off season about protecting Burrow should be critical of putting him at risk just to get a record. It's not personal. Just common sense.

Censored 

I don’t get all of the vitriol in the exchanges in this thread.  Hooky is right: Keeping Joe B in the game at the end and having him dropping into the pocket to throw instead of just handing off, INCREASES HIS CHANCES of sustaining an injury…one that could be nagging, one that could knock him out for a game or two, or one that could end his career.  I see this as a fact…and I was one of those calling for him to come out of the game.  The fact that he didn’t get hurt does not mean that the probability of him getting hurt weren’t higher.

[Instead of just not putting him in for the next series, let him hand off on first down, and then send in Allen so that the fans could show him their appreciation.]

That would have been a good time to work on our running game…especially the blocking.  

With that said, however, as Kirk Herbstreet or Herb Kirkstreet pointed out, Joe B is wired differently.  

Zac is having to navigate those waters.  We’ve been calling for Zac to give more control to QB1…and this may be some of the fallout from that actually happening (Hie doesn’t want to come out.) and/or Zac doing what Zac thinks will keep Joe razor sharp for upcoming games.  :shrug:  

Tough call…

…and it is something that we should be able to discuss intelligently, without attacking each other.

🦗

3 hours ago, Hooky said:

This time. I usually ignore your posts any way, but if you think it's fine to take chances like that, then you aren't too bright.

Riiiight, we should just keep Burrow on the sidelines until the 4th quarter. I mean, why take the chance that he'll be injured in a tie game? In fact, we should always pull Burrow if we're leading by more than one score. Just to be safe. I'd say we should run the ball, but can't get Joe Mixon hurt...

You can't put these guys in bubble wrap. There's ~600 plays in a NFL season. If Joe stays out for an extra 10 plays... That's a 0.06% increase in his chance of injury. IMHO, the mental aspect and trust from the coaching staff is worth more than that.

Li think for bengals to be what they want it lit going to run thru burrow. They can’t play scared and want a killed instinct. 

From watching the manning video on burrow I would not doubt to see us back to our roots no huddle burrow quick strike once line gets upgraded.  I am scared to death watching burrow get blasted. It will shorten his career even if he doesn’t get a serious injury. They just need to find the balance with being aggressive and playing smart. A  veteran coach would help with that. Let’s higher Peyton as consultant.

They will push as far as they can to get in with two games left. Burrow loves high pressure from what it seems. 

just get in the dance no matter what it takes. Run 50 times or throw fifty leave nothing left in the chamber,. Don’t wait till next week get in rest players next week. In perfect world. 

35 minutes ago, Cricket said:

I don’t get all of the vitriol in the exchanges in this thread.  Hooky is right: Keeping Joe B in the game at the end and having him dropping into the pocket to throw instead of just handing off, INCREASES HIS CHANCES of sustaining an injury…one that could be nagging, one that could knock him out for a game or two, or one that could end his career.  I see this as a fact…and I was one of those calling for him to come out of the game.  The fact that he didn’t get hurt does not mean that the probability of him getting hurt weren’t higher.

[Instead of just not putting him in for the next series, let him hand off on first down, and then send in Allen so that the fans could show him their appreciation.]

That would have been a good time to work on our running game…especially the blocking.  

With that said, however, as Kirk Herbstreet or Herb Kirkstreet pointed out, Joe B is wired differently.  

Zac is having to navigate those waters.  We’ve been calling for Zac to give more control to QB1…and this may be some of the fallout from that actually happening (Hie doesn’t want to come out.) and/or Zac doing what Zac thinks will keep Joe razor sharp for upcoming games.  :shrug:  

Tough call…

…and it is something that we should be able to discuss intelligently, without attacking each other.

🦗

I was hoping they would put in Allen just so we could start a "Let's Go Brandon" chant in the stadium (half ninja)  :gobengals:

26 minutes ago, MOC said:

I was hoping they would put in Allen just so we could start a "Let's Go Brandon" chant in the stadium (half ninja)  :gobengals:

While we're at it we can chant "Poo-poo face" at Jim Harbaugh since we're being dumb ass 8 year olds about it. I know it's all the rage for the Konservative Kool Kids, or it was 6 months ago, but to the other 90% of us, it's a phrase said by idiots pretending they're mean girls in Middle School.

6 hours ago, Hooky said:

i wasnt happy with all the passing but when the  defense is playing the run , arent you supposed to pass to make them back off?    he didnt say they were trying to pad stats or run up the score. he said you play to the final whistle. how many games have we went conservative and lost the game ?  

Archived