TE Offseason 2023

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Listening to the Locked on Bengals guys they said Foster Moreau was on some podcast this past week talking about his diagnosis and from what they said it sounds like he was leaning towards signing here.

Did he expand on his present health?

Sample had the highest blocking grade of any TE in his draft class..by far..

Bengals over drafted by at least 2 rounds thinking of olline  protection.

His pffblocking grade was 72.0 in 2020 and 61 in 2021...

He has soft hands as a pass catcher but his stiffness in routes makes for easier coverage..

So..Smith catches and Sample blocks.

6 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Sample had the highest blocking grade of any TE in his draft class..by far..

Bengals over drafted by at least 2 rounds thinking of olline  protection.

His pffblocking grade was 72.0 in 2020 and 61 in 2021...

He has soft hands as a pass catcher but his stiffness in routes makes for easier coverage..

So..Smith catches and Sample blocks.

So blocking in the PAC 12 is harder than the NFL, got it. Seems like he's regressing, in 2020 he had 349 yards receiving in 2022 he had -2. 

47 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

... Fans would like Sample more if he was a 4-5th rounder. Then he would be applauded for lasting in the league. 

I would say they would like him more if he was more productive, results matter more than where you were drafted. The only reason he's in the league is because of where he was drafted and his perceived potential...if he was a late-round pick he wouldn't get so many opportunities to prove the coaches and execs that signed off on drafting him right. 

8 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

I would say they would like him more if he was more productive, results matter more than where you were drafted. The only reason he's in the league is because of where he was drafted and his perceived potential...if he was a late-round pick he wouldn't get so many opportunities to prove the coaches and execs that signed off on drafting him right. 

This shit right here, except for the roster as a whole. The best 53 players in camp make the roster, period. Missing on a draft pick sucks but it will happen. Carrying that guy for years because of it is 1000 times worse

4 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

He has cancer, it's not a mystery...he was on Good Morning America talking about it

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/living/story/nfl-tight-end-foster-moreau-opens-cancer-diagnosis-98580585

There was some confusion on my part, I thought I was replying to a different message in a different thread and confused this with Dawan Jones.

This is where I landed on my TE list

TE
Micheal Mayer-ND (1) C

Luke Musgrave-Oregon St (2)
Dalton Kincaid-Utah (2)
Sam LaPorta-Iowa (2) C

Tucker Kraft-SD State (3)

Luke Schoonmaker-Michigan (4)
Zack Kuntz-Old Dominion (4) C

Payne Durham-Purdue (5-6)
Davis Allen-Clemson (5) C

Travis Vokolek-Nebraska (U) C
Jack Colletto-Oregon St (U) ST
Jake Bobo-UCLA (U) WR

7 hours ago, sparky151 said:

You don't like Darnell Washington? I'd be delighted if he was on the board at pick 60. 

That would be ideal to me.  This class of TE has been widely hyped and I think the sweet spot is Day 2.  If we could get Washington, Musgrave, or Laporta I would be very happy.  

8 hours ago, sparky151 said:

You don't like Darnell Washington? I'd be delighted if he was on the board at pick 60. 

Washington is fine as a blocker, but he is clunky athletically despite the numbers. I'd take him but would rather have a more well rounded guy. 

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

Washington is fine as a blocker, but he is clunky athletically despite the numbers. I'd take him but would rather have a more well rounded guy. 

Mayer is that guy..

Kincaid  may be the other on a 1st round pick.

12 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Our TE is going to be option 4 at best in 2023. He needs to be able to block inline to support the running game and in pass protection for certain play calls. Washington is a great blocker and a tough matchup for LBs and DBs. He's not a great route runner but is a good athlete with tremendous length and pretty good hands. I doubt he's available at 60 but if it's Washington vs LaPorta, Kraft, or Musgrave, then bring in the Bulldog.

Really curious how this position plays out. TE's take a while to develop and a guy like Asiasi was well thought of when he came out in the draft. People keep mis labeling him as blocking TE, which he may be able to do, but that's not at all what he was coming out. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/devin-asiasi/32004153-4902-4038-a2e4-cae6370aa967

The Beast

5. DEVIN ASIASI | UCLA 6030 | 257 lbs. | rJR. Shoreview, Calif. (De La Salle) 8/14/1997 (age 22.69) #86 BACKGROUND: Devin Asiasi (AH-see-AH-see) was a two-sport letterman at De La Salle, playing basketball and football in high school. Starring on both sides of the football, he posted 16 catches for 264 yards and two scores as a junior tight end, adding 33 tackles and 5.0 sacks as a defensive end. As a senior, Asiasi finished with 17 receptions for 311 yards and five scores on offense and 49 tackles and 4.0 sacks on defense, earning 2016 U.S. Army All-American honors. A four-star tight end recruit out of high school, Asiasi was the No. 3 tight end in the country (behind Isaac Nauta and Kaden Smith) and the No. 12 recruit in the state of California. He had offers from just about every major program in the country and narrowed his list to Michigan, UCLA, USC and Washington. He was thought to be a package deal with his high school teammate Boss Tagaloa, who signed with UCLA, but Asiasi chose the Wolverines. However, he lasted only one season in Ann Arbor before transferring back west, joining Tagaloa at UCLA and sitting out the 2017 season. Asiasi elected to skip his senior season and enter the 2020 NFL Draft. YEAR (GP/GS) REC YDS AVG TD NOTES 2016: (13/0) 2 18 9.0 1 Michigan; First career catch went for a touchdown 2017: Sat out due to transfer rules UCLA 2018: (9/1) 6 130 21.7 1 UCLA; Served a three-game suspension 2019: (12/12) 44 641 14.6 4 UCLA; Honorable Mention All-Pac 12 Total: (34/13) 52 789 15.2 6 HT WT ARM HAND WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP COMBINE 6030 257 33 1/4 09 3/4 80 1/8 4.73 2.75 1.62 30 1/2 09’07” - - 16 (no shuttle or 3-cone – choice) PRO DAY N/A (Pro Day canceled) STRENGTHS: Carries his weight well with agile feet…quickly enters his routes…flashes sink and snap at the top of patterns to give the quarterback a target…nice job settling in zones…steady concentration at the catch point and dependable in traffic…adjusts well to throws away from his frame…tough over the middle of the field, taking hits and holding onto the football…averaged over 15.0 yards per catch over his career with 14 plays of 20-plus yards the last two years…steadily improved as a run blocker, sealing on down blocks and staying after his target…strong hands as a blocker and willing to do the dirty work…well-liked by coaches and teammates. WEAKNESSES: Needs to tighten his routes…too much lean in his patterns, giving defenders a preview of where he is headed…defenders are able to crowd him down the seam…not much of a tackle-breaker after the catch…on-the-move blocking angles lack refinement…needs to be more assertive shooting his hands and aggressively locking on instead of allowing defenders to come to him…there are undisciplined elements to his game with at least one penalty in each of the five tapes studied (two false starts, three holding calls)…still maturing and learning how to become a professional…served a three-game suspension to start the 2018 season for a “violation of team rules”…only one season as a starter. SUMMARY: A one-year starter at UCLA, Asiasi was the starting “Y” tight end in head coach Chip Kelly’s up-tempo offense, lining up primarily inline to the boundary. After a reserve season at Michigan and another year sitting out as a transfer, he spent 2018 backing up Caleb Wilson before taking over as the starter in 2019, finishing second on the team in receiving. There isn’t much deception or diversity to his route tree (mostly digs, outs, posts on tape), but Asiasi moves well and presents a window for his quarterback. Although he isn’t shy banging as a blocker, he needs to be more of an aggressor in the run game. Overall, Asiasi doesn’t have the traits that scream playmaker, but he is well-rounded with the steady ball skills and blocking chops to earn a roster spot and fight his way up the depth chart. GRADE: 3rd-4th Round

Archived