2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Joe's gonna get suspended for giving a known felon a gun. Might be criminally charged for that too.

As he should be, but don't forget he's rich. If this was some random dude in Avondale he'd have been locked up ever since waiting to be tried.

Could charge his sister too for that matter.

Imagine giving a convicted felon a fuckin AK he uses to shoot a teenager on his own property and no one going to jail, not even the shooter. Two sets of rules...

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Since it's a civil suit, will the Bengals do anything at all?

Yeah, I'm confused...where was this information during the criminal court case?  Not a fan of all this at all...something is rotten in Denmark if the only consequences are in Civil Court.  Is there still some criminal proceedings out there or is this all there is at this point?

7 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

Yeah, I'm confused...where was this information during the criminal court case?  Not a fan of all this at all...something is rotten in Denmark if the only consequences are in Civil Court.  Is there still some criminal proceedings out there or is this all there is at this point?

The NFL can still suspend him for civil suits so we will see what happens. 

12 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

Not sure what is up with the other clown but Joe still has the thing pending for menacing etc from waiving a gun around some lady's face when she cut him off in traffic downtown near Fountain Square.

It will be interesting to see the actual text of the complaint, however the gist of the article would indicate a boilerplate “it’s your property…it’s your weapons..so it’s your fault” conclusion. The shooter is a toss-in defendant—and just a connective party to get to the money. 

Joe certainly has a homeowner’s liability policy—unless he is completely altogether stupid. Assuming he does…and assuming the complaint also alleges negligence on his part…his homeowner insurance will defend and indemnify (pay for) him. I figure the dirtbag shooter will be on his own though. The Bengals—since they are not party to the action—are not involved. 

Depending how fast the plaintiffs want to cash out, I would figure it will not take too long before this is quietly settled.  

5 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

It will be interesting to see the actual text of the complaint,

https://www.fox19.com/2023/08/04/joe-mixon-lamonte-brewer-named-civil-lawsuit-over-shooting-mixons-home/

It's in the original article. ☝️

Too long to copy and paste in the original post.

I think there could be an out of court settlement, too, but wonder if it could have a clause that Mixon and crew have to move.

Not sure how legal that would be or what other cans of worms it would open but... 

Brewer and Shalonda Mixon were criminally charged in the shooting of the kid and are awaiting trial.

The Bengals can't do anything about it as it's covered by the leagues Personal Conduct policy. So we're at the mercy of Roger. I don't expect much mercy, not is there much reason to go light for either the menacing incident or the shooting. It's well known the NFL frowns on players and guns.

Wow, this went sideways, I thought the victim was on Joe's property...evidently not.

The shooter should see serious time (20 years+) on the shooting and possession of a firearm by a felon. That's why we have that law!

The circumstances of how he came to be in possession of that firearm could be pretty bad for Joe.

I'm sure this mess has a lot to do with Joe wanting to sign for whatever he could as much or more than taking one for the team.

Really stupid all the way around.

7 hours ago, Jupiter Fan said:

Wow, this went sideways, I thought the victim was on Joe's property...evidently not.

The shooter should see serious time (20 years+) on the shooting and possession of a firearm by a felon. That's why we have that law!

The circumstances of how he came to be in possession of that firearm could be pretty bad for Joe.

I'm sure this mess has a lot to do with Joe wanting to sign for whatever he could as much or more than taking one for the team.

Really stupid all the way around.

Yeah I thought this was a case of mistaken identity with some kid with a nerf gun in the dark.  That'd be dumb enough & still make me wonder why their reaction to a potential trespasser is to run out on the lawn with a mini AK and start blasting like Scarface, but there's at least some kind of halfassed reason even if it's an idiotic overreaction.  

However if the kid wasn't even on their property and they had prior knowledge of it being a nerf fight.. well, WTF was going on there? 

All I can say is.. Go Chase Brown

• Like 4

23 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Brewer and Shalonda Mixon were criminally charged in the shooting of the kid and are awaiting trial.

The Bengals can't do anything about it as it's covered by the leagues Personal Conduct policy. So we're at the mercy of Roger. I don't expect much mercy, not is there much reason to go light for either the menacing incident or the shooting. It's well known the NFL frowns on players and guns.

Right.  Criminal charges were filed against Mixon’s sister and her boyfriend so it’s not like they’re getting away scot-free.  I’m assuming Mixon is being charged civilly for two reasons:  he’s the property owner and he’s also much wealthier than the other parties involved.  Civil cases are all about money settlements so it’s smart to sue the deepest pockets you can find.  

I’m much less worried about the civil case than his other case.  It also usually depends on when the cases get resolved for the NFL take action (no guarantees obviously).  Kamara was able to play the entire 2022 season for incidents that occurred 8 months before the season began and were only recently resolved.  

No doubt Mixon is being roped into the civil case because the others are probably judgment-proof. But according to the complaint Mixon provided Brewer with the gun that was used. Mixon providing a gun to a known felon is a crime in itself and the statute of limitations hasn't expired. So he might be criminally charged too. The NFL could withhold a punishment decision until both cases are resolved but I wouldn't expect that. Mixon will likely get punished separately as each case finished up, if he's found guilty or liable. 

One has to consider, however, allegations in the four-corners of a civil complaint, are just that: allegations. They are rarely gospel. 

“Providing weapons” to the dirtbag is in all likelihood, an overstatement of what “providing” entails. I see in some of my negligent entrustment cases, circumstances where “providing” is actually much more benign. Tacit approval of “hey Joe, cool guns..can I see them?”…does not mean Mixon actually handed them to the dirtbag to go shoot at minors next door. This is a subjective  observation of course…the fact gathering (discovery) will likely find something somewhere in between. 

Would Joe be found liable (not the term “guilty) to the kid for injuries caused by the actual shooter? Maybe. My property…my weapons..uncollectable dirtbag shooter and his worthless sister…sure, probably. 

Settlement will come sometime in mid-season. 

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

One has to consider, however, allegations in the four-corners of a civil complaint, are just that: allegations. They are rarely gospel. 

“Providing weapons” to the dirtbag is in all likelihood, an overstatement of what “providing” entails. I see in some of my negligent entrustment cases, circumstances where “providing” is actually much more benign. Tacit approval of “hey Joe, cool guns..can I see them?”…does not mean Mixon actually handed them to the dirtbag to go shoot at minors next door. This is a subjective  observation of course…the fact gathering (discovery) will likely find something somewhere in between. 

Would Joe be found liable (not the term “guilty) to the kid for injuries caused by the actual shooter? Maybe. My property…my weapons..uncollectable dirtbag shooter and his worthless sister…sure, probably. 

Settlement will come sometime in mid-season. 

I hear you loud and clear that the complaint is just allegations. My best guess, based on my best common sense, tells me the neighbor kids probably weren't just minding their own business with their nerf guns. (Obviously I don't know this!) I would guess some form of perceived disrespect and probably some real stupidity were being exchanged. HOWEVER, choosing to settle whatever was happening with a lethal weapon is just flat out criminally and dangerously stupid. Yes, truly a dirtbag move. He fired 11 shots if I'm remembering right? One hitting the nerf gun another hitting the victim's foot, the other nine missing. That's probably exactly what he wanted to do, and it certainly doesn't matter in the slightest what the kids were doing at this point, short of posing a lethal threat which I doubt. Mixon certainly deserves the chance for the legal process to play out, but it's not the only trouble he's had, and the Bengals don't need it. Keeping company with, adjacent to, not to mention arming a dirtbag = fellow dirtbag.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, A Rock said:

I hear you loud and clear that the complaint is just allegations. My best guess, based on my best common sense, tells me the neighbor kids probably weren't just minding their own business with their nerf guns. (Obviously I don't know this!) I would guess some form of perceived disrespect and probably some real stupidity were being exchanged. HOWEVER, choosing to settle whatever was happening with a lethal weapon is just flat out criminally and dangerously stupid. Yes, truly a dirtbag move. He fired 11 shots if I'm remembering right? One hitting the nerf gun another hitting the victim's foot, the other nine missing. That's probably exactly what he wanted to do, and it certainly doesn't matter in the slightest what the kids were doing at this point, short of posing a lethal threat which I doubt. Mixon certainly deserves the chance for the legal process to play out, but it's not the only trouble he's had, and the Bengals don't need it. Keeping company with, adjacent to, not to mention arming a dirtbag = fellow dirtbag.

Good take. Understand that I’m looking at this solely from the civil litigation perspective—where there is no “guilty” or “innocent”, only who/whom is “liable” to another for money damages or equitable relief. 

In civil litigation, both plaintiff and defendant can be dirtbags—personal integrity is not (or should not) be considered. Why Joe Mixon even had (let alone needed) military-grade weaponry on his property to allegedly give away to his sister’s useless BF, is a mystery to me. 

The fine lines between being civilly liable and criminally guilty, can be blurry. In this sad case, Joe may be paying lots of cash to the minor and be carted off to the county jail. We shall see. 

• Upvote 3

https://www.fox19.com/2023/08/14/bengals-joe-mixon-trial-set-begin-alleged-road-rage-case/

Bengals’ Joe Mixon trial set to begin in alleged road rage case

image.thumb.png.01b1d23ab29de2151c805aaa02601d4c.png

left to right... Attny Dewey Screwum, Joe Sixgun (with a fetching poisonous Coral Snake shirt for his court appearance), Attny Andy Howe.

CINCINNATI (WXIX) - Cincinnati Bengals running back Joe Mixon’s criminal trial is scheduled to begin with jury selection Monday.

Mixon, 27, has pleaded not guilty to a misdemeanor charge of aggravated menacing.

If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of 180 days in jail, a $1,000 fine and five years probation.

He’s accused of pointing a gun at a woman and threatening her in an alleged Jan. 21 incident during the team’s playoff run.

Court records allege it happened in the 300 block of Walnut Street in downtown Cincinnati. 

Mixon is accused of telling the victim, “You should be popped in the face. I should shoot you. The police can’t get me,” according to court records.

The victim told officers the threat was a result of “road rage,” the incident report states.

An arrest warrant for Mixon was issued on Feb. 2 but, just a day later, the charge filed by a Cincinnati police officer was dismissed without prejudice at the request of the city prosecutor.

The arrest warrant against Mixon was issued prematurely and resulted from a procedural misstep, the Cincinnati Police Department said in a Feb. 3 written statement.

The officer was later disciplined, according to a police spokesman.

In April the charge was refiled.

Police announced new evidence was discovered but further details were not released.

In July, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Mixon agreed to a restructured contract to stay in Cincinnati.

“Joe’s goal is to win a Super Bowl and play his career in Cincinnati and this is the best way to accomplish these goals,” Mixon’s agent, Peter Schaffer, told Schefter.

Earlier this month, Mixon was sued over the March shooting of a teenager who lives next door to him in Anderson Township as the boy and his friends played Nerf Wars.

The teen’s legal guardian is seeking damages from Mixon and Lamonte Brewer after the juvenile was shot in his right foot by Brewer as Brewer stood in Mixon’s backyard.

The suit alleges that Sholanda Mixon, Joe Mixon’s sister, and her boyfriend, Brewer, knew of the Nerf Wars game before the March 6 shooting, “and could not have reasonably felt that their lives were in danger on March 6, 2023.”

The suit alleges the weapon and bullets that Brewer used were owned by Mixon and provided by Mixon at his home.

Mixon was never charged with the teen’s shooting and was never considered a suspect, Hamilton County Prosecutor Melissa Powers has said.

The prosecutor also has said Shalonda Mixon told Joe Mixon there were people outside his home with guns.

Powers said Joe Mixon was concerned for his life after being told armed people were outside his home and that he had received death threats.

Surveillance video obtained through a search warrant showed Joe Mixon walking in the backyard of his home with a gun, but he never fired any shots, according to Powers. Mixon is a legal gun owner and “did not commit a crime,” Powers explained.

Brewer was indicted on March 16 on charges of felonious assault, having a weapon under disability, tampering with evidence and obstructing justice.

Shalonda Mixon was indicted on charges of tampering with evidence and obstructing justice.

https://www.fox19.com/2023/08/14/bengals-joe-mixon-trial-begins-monday-alleged-road-rage/

CINCINNATI (WXIX) - A judge, not a jury, will decide the outcome of Cincinnati Bengals running back Joe Mixon’s trial over an alleged road rage incident.

The trial got underway Monday with Hamilton County Municipal Court Gwen Bender presiding.

Mixon, 27, pleaded not guilty to a misdemeanor charge of aggravated menacing when he was charged in April.

If convicted, Mixon faces a maximum sentence of 180 days in jail, a $1,000 fine and five years probation.

He is accused of pointing a gun at the woman at Second and Walnut streets after cutting her off on Third Street in downtown Cincinnati in January.

According to court records, Mixon also allegedly told the victim, “You should be popped in the face. I should shoot you. The police can’t get me.”

The victim told officers the threat was a result of “road rage,” the incident report states.

The alleged victim, who did not want to be identified, took the stand Monday.

She was an assistant general manager at a bar and restaurant at the Banks at the time of the alleged incident.

“The evidence will show that Mr. Mixon knowingly caused Miss (the accusor) to believe that he would cause her serious physical harm and at the end of the day we will ask the court for a finding of guilty,” City Prosecutor Tim Horsley said during his opening statement.

Cincinnati police filed the charge against Mixon and the city prosecutor’s office is handling the trial.

Two veteran criminal defense attorneys in Greater Cincinnati, Merlyn Shiverdecker and Scott Croswell, are representing Mixon.

Croswell told Judge Bender during his opening statement: “The evidence will clearly that he did not threaten (the accusor). He was not the aggressor in this event. He was not the one whose initial reaction was anger. He was not the only one who carried out actions based on their anger.”

The case was reassigned to another investigator and the officer who initially handled it was disciplined, according to a police spokesman.

Then, a few months later, Cincinnati police refiled the same charge against Mixon.

They announced new evidence was discovered but did not elaborate.