Insider offers theory on Joe Burrow extension delay (And other Joe related Contract posts)

Chris Roling
Mon, Sep 4, 2023, 10:00 PM CDT·1 min read

A Joe Burrow extension with the Cincinnati Bengals could happen at any minute.

But it’s forgivable if fans have started to get a little antsy on the subject.

Especially when insiders like Sports Illustrated’s Andrew Brandt float the idea that perhaps the delay on getting an extension done is a creation from Burrow’s side of the table:

My sense, however, is that the delay is coming more from Burrow’s side. Maybe—and I would advise him of this—he does not want a seven-year deal (five extension years) and wants a shorter deal, like Dak Prescott, to have another bite at the free-agency apple at a younger age. Or maybe—and I would advise him of this as well—he wants to wait to negotiate a new contract until he has one year left on his contract (2024) or no years left on his contract (’25), although the Bengals will have the tag to work with.

That sort of negotiation strategy would be smart from a player perspective, to some degree. Any deal signed right now would tack on to the end of his rookie contract, which has two years left. So a five-year extension would mean seven seasons.

With ever-increasing salary cap, television money and more happening annually, it’s understandable if players want shorter deals than in the past so they can get back to the negotiating table — or free agency.

Luckily for Bengals fans, there hasn’t been any overt evidence that this is the case here. Burrow not getting an extension after three years would be highly unusual for a player of his caliber and leave him exposed were other injuries to occur. The market of big deals, capped by Justin Herbert’s, has been set, too.

The Bengals aren’t strangers when it comes to waiting until right at the buzzer to get mega-deals for the likes of Geno Atkins and A.J. Green done, either. So while this theory makes a little sense, in this case, no noise from either camp is a good thing.

https://sports.yahoo.com/insider-offers-theory-joe-burrow-030055237.html?src=rss

Edited by Montana Bengal
Updated the title

Andrew Brandt is a smart guy with plenty of connections, but he's not speaking with any inside information. He's just speculating about what he would do if he was Burrow's agent, which is common sense. The shorter amount of years on the deal the sooner you can re-up for more money, nothing revolutionary or complex about that. 

I see point #1, but not point #2.  Why even tell the public you are working on a deal if you think like Brandt does on point #2.  Getting paid now is the big insurance policy. 

I still think the Brown family is dragging their feet on as much guaranteed money that both Burrow and Higgins' agents want.  I think the total numbers are pretty much set.  It's just how much will be guaranteed.

34 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I see point #1, but not point #2.  Why even tell the public you are working on a deal if you think like Brandt does on point #2.  Getting paid now is the big insurance policy. 

I still think the Brown family is dragging their feet on as much guaranteed money that both Burrow and Higgins' agents want.  I think the total numbers are pretty much set.  It's just how much will be guaranteed.

As mentioned in a different thread, Burrow's number was probably based on leaving room for Higgins.  If that's not in the cards there's less argument for JB to take a discount. Could even be structuring an extension for someone else with that money, who knows?

Certainly not us and apparently not anyone at SI either.

2 hours ago, membengal said:

That thought has as much basis in fact as Brandt.

my simple point is no one knows anything and can only speculate. 

What is the entire board aside from speculation, pictures, and people re-posting tweets?  Of course no one knows anything, but we talk about it anyway.  I guess we should take down this thread, any game or season predictions threads, ban threads about the draft or free agents?  What's left?

It's a damn fan board.  People have opinions.  If you don't want to read them just skip the thread.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

As mentioned in a different thread, Burrow's number was probably based on leaving room for Higgins.  If that's not in the cards there's less argument for JB to take a discount. Could even be structuring an extension for someone else with that money, who knows?

Certainly not us and apparently not anyone at SI either.

That's tough stuff for an agent to swallow.  If Burrow takes a discount or less guaranteed money his agent looks bad.  This stuff is hard.  Higgins' agent wasn't only Bates agent, but Watson's.  He's known to get top dollar.  Hard stuff.

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

What is the entire board aside from speculation, pictures, and people re-posting tweets?  Of course no one knows anything, but we talk about it anyway.  I guess we should take down this thread, any game or season predictions threads, ban threads about the draft or free agents?  What's left?

It's a damn fan board.  People have opinions.  If you don't want to read them just skip the thread.

Well, I don't hold YOU to andrew brandt standards, but Brandt should be better.  Speculate away, if it gets you off.   Whatever helps you feel as bad as possible, have at it.  I said above, I am uneasy. I just don't need to make shit up like Brandt did or like you apparently are to beat off on. It is enough that he isn't signed yet to make me uneasy. as to WHY that hasn't happened yet, who the fuck knows. But, sure, make shit up if it makes you happy. 

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Well, I don't hold YOU to andrew brandt standards, but Brandt should be better.  Speculate away, if it gets you off.   Whatever helps you feel as bad as possible, have at it.  I said above, I am uneasy. I just don't need to make shit up like Brandt did or like you apparently are to beat off on. It is enough that he isn't signed yet to make me uneasy. as to WHY that hasn't happened yet, who the fuck knows. But, sure, make shit up if it makes you happy. 

God forbid I, or anyone, else speculates or has an opinion.  Look at the bright side.  It gives you a chance to come in, piss all over everything, and continue to feel superior about yourself. I should feel blessed that I have you to let me know I am making shit up and know absolutely nothing.  

I will try to remain grateful for your reposts of other people’s ideas and pictures. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, jmckbengal said:

I can’t believe that the bengals allow Burrow to start the season w/o an extension. Hope to see contract signing tomorrow.

I actually think it's the other way around... I have trouble believing Joe would start without a new one.

I am with you on hoping it's done tomorrow. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

God forbid I, or anyone, else speculates or has an opinion.  Look at the bright side.  It gives you a chance to come in, piss all over everything, and continue to feel superior about yourself. I should feel blessed that I have you to let me know I am making shit up and know absolutely nothing.  

I will try to remain grateful for your reposts of other people’s ideas and pictures. 

It should make you happy as hell that I have stopped doing that. Carry on. 

My guess would be that Burrow isn't ready to do a deal. He may want to wait until next season but he also could be waiting for the team to get a deal done with Tee. I think the team is willing to hand over the checkbook to Joe. It's basically a question of what he wants. He could maximize his career earnings by waiting and signing shorter deals that get him back on the market sooner. 

But he seems like a guy who might take a Mahomes style-decade-long deal and trust the team to adjust it as it gets outdated. That leaves more money for his surrounding cast. 

Contract extensions are new contracts. The existing deal is torn up and replaced by the terms of the new deal. I could see Burrow signing a 10 year, $600 mil deal with 250 mil guaranteed at signing and a 75 mil signing bonus, paid in 2 parts. That would be the biggest total value of a contract, the highest annual average, the most money guaranteed at signing, and the biggest signing bonus in NFL history. But also potentially very team-friendly, depending on how much it's backloaded. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

My guess would be that Burrow isn't ready to do a deal. He may want to wait until next season but he also could be waiting for the team to get a deal done with Tee. I think the team is willing to hand over the checkbook to Joe. It's basically a question of what he wants. He could maximize his career earnings by waiting and signing shorter deals that get him back on the market sooner. 

But he seems like a guy who might take a Mahomes style-decade-long deal and trust the team to adjust it as it gets outdated. That leaves more money for his surrounding cast. 

Contract extensions are new contracts. The existing deal is torn up and replaced by the terms of the new deal. I could see Burrow signing a 10 year, $600 mil deal with 250 mil guaranteed at signing and a 75 mil signing bonus, paid in 2 parts. That would be the biggest total value of a contract, the highest annual average, the most money guaranteed at signing, and the biggest signing bonus in NFL history. But also potentially very team-friendly, depending on how much it's backloaded. 

If he waits until next year it will be both Joe and Ja'Marr, I think.

That would really break the bank.

• Montana Bengal changed the title to Insider offers theory on Joe Burrow extension delay (And other Joe related Contract posts)