Bye Two Weeks

How much time off do the players actually get during the bye two weeks?

Somewhere there was a Zac comment about it coming at a good time because after

six games they have had time to see what is working and what ain't and enough time

to fix it to make adjustments and fixes before the end of the season.

"Fix" or somehow replace Volson.  I'm hoping for fix.  But he ain't the only one.

Kappa isn't anything to write home about on the other side, either.

I am still not pleased with Mixon, think blaming it all on the O line is kind of a cop out.

Get someone back there who can get the short yards and block for Joe.

Really liked seeing Drew Sample back there... how about handing it to him once and

letting him make his own hole?

The New Bengals Order with Zac and Pumpkin have been great at surprising us in recent

years with moves and acquisitions which, admittedly, have not all worked (L'eel Collins, Irv Smurf)

but I would like to see them do something that says "The Future Is Now".  Don't like trading high

draft choices (nor do they), mortgaging the future, but there are some second line players other teams

could find intriguing.  

Dunno... the only thing I/we do not want to see is them stand pat.

Not hitting the panic button at all, but, like the Cowboys of old,

reloading, not rebuilding.

Gotta admit, Mr Jesus's suggestion about going after Kyle Pitts (the guy drafted right before Ja'Marr Chase)

hard core is a real brain worm for me.  Myles Murphy for Pitts?  Even Murphy and a mid round draft choice?

But if we see 3rd and 4 and a 3 yard reception Smurf trot out there

or Clueless Cordell

or No Gain Mixon

trot out there against San Francisco... square pegs and round holes.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 10/16/2023 at 12:45 PM, BlackJesus said:

I wish the Falcons would realize they are wasting Kyle Pitts career and deal him for a 2nd rounder? Pitts on the Bengals would be awesome. 

Doubt Falcons would trade him 

If they did Is think they'd want a 1st rounder and a later pick.

6 hours ago, spicoli said:

Lol they are not trading for Perine, what is wrong with some of you guys? Other than Boomer in his twilight years, when have they EVER brought back a former player? No way that happens. 100%. 

Michael Johnson was brought back.

I agree that in the past it was almost. non existent but Katy may see Perine as 

the missing piece for the offense to truly roll.

You may be right but I think he's the one option out there that makes sense.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jamie_B said:

I dont see the Bengals offering up any picks for Perine. They value picks too much.

Not when they just drafted a guy meant to be his replacement, even if he's not ready to take the field yet. When was the last time they made a deal like this midseason? Doesn't seem like that's part of their plan.

4 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Not when they just drafted a guy meant to be his replacement, even if he's not ready to take the field yet. When was the last time they made a deal like this midseason? Doesn't seem like that's part of their plan.

Exactly. There is more of a chance they pick up a street FA than make a trade

On 10/16/2023 at 10:08 AM, High School Harry said:

Gotta say it... Mixon isn't the answer.

Probably nothing can or will be done over the bye week

but he is virtually useless in short yardage and can't all be

blamed on the O line.

Diving into a pile on 4th and 1... Child, please.

it literally can and it literally was blamed on the o-line, specifically by the OC, who even called out the two Olinemen who fucked it up and how they fucked it up.

but go off i guess.

we are still just going to ignore how the pass game the first 4 games specifically hurt the run game due to everything being short and underneath, so no room to run as everyone was at the line anyway cause joe wasnt gonna hold the ball for more than 2.0 seconds..

anyone watch williams and brown run the ball? Mixon is clearly the better runner and makes more out of less everytime in comparison. both the other two are first touch and down. 

this whole "if it isnt great, it sucks and needs replaced" mentality of this fanbase is exhausting. it really sucks that going into week 7 we are still working on consistency and expanding the offense, but thats where we are. the only glaring problem is Irv Smith, and he started with the trash offense, then got hurt, and has been bad for 2 weeks, bot frankly the offense has changed each week so much with joes health, he hasnt had a fair shake.

but this is the nfl, and not everyone gets  fair shake. so im down for a change, but im guessing he gets one more week like others said. but he is bad enough to risk, in the "cant be worse" thought process

Volson fucking sucks.

• Upvote 1

On game Sunday vs Seahawks burrow was good early and accurate.it was chilly.,wet and windy out,so the calf probably started tightening on him. The wind also probably effected some of throws. He also got smoked with some roughing qb, that were not called. He was inaccurate and once he misconnected with chase, on the int. The bengals treated it like our playoff games at home. It seemed they played very conservative, until they get to 50 and they never reached 50,  except for the  ctb int. 
they seemed to just play to defense, because Seahawks were playing with 2nd and third team lineman. 
can we just hire a few guys making these lineman decisions?

We are getting guys in draft, that can’t play and giants/Seahawks are picking guys off street and managing with them.  I also do not see anything from irv, which is why Vikings let him go. I would have signed perine and drafted a te. La porta looks really good and I thought we get him.
Murphy might be, but  will take time to develop. iIt is another good, not great pick for us in first round. Hope I am wrong, hope he develops. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

it literally can and it literally was blamed on the o-line, specifically by the OC, who even called out the two Olinemen who fucked it up and how they fucked it up.

but go off i guess.

we are still just going to ignore how the pass game the first 4 games specifically hurt the run game due to everything being short and underneath, so no room to run as everyone was at the line anyway cause joe wasnt gonna hold the ball for more than 2.0 seconds..

anyone watch williams and brown run the ball? Mixon is clearly the better runner and makes more out of less everytime in comparison. both the other two are first touch and down. 

this whole "if it isnt great, it sucks and needs replaced" mentality of this fanbase is exhausting. it really sucks that going into week 7 we are still working on consistency and expanding the offense, but thats where we are. the only glaring problem is Irv Smith, and he started with the trash offense, then got hurt, and has been bad for 2 weeks, bot frankly the offense has changed each week so much with joes health, he hasnt had a fair shake.

but this is the nfl, and not everyone gets  fair shake. so im down for a change, but im guessing he gets one more week like others said. but he is bad enough to risk, in the "cant be worse" thought process

Volson fucking sucks.

Thes "Mixon is washed" guys.... I swear.....

image.png

• Upvote 1

As most probably know I was a very big critic of Mixon in the off-season, but I will admit that he has actually done better than I expected, all things considered, and don't really consider him the problem right now in the run game. As for some reason the OL is having trouble creating any holes to run though. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

As most probably know I was a very big critic of Mixon in the off-season, but I will admit that he has actually done better than I expected, all things considered, and don't really consider him the problem right now in the run game. As for some reason the OL is having trouble creating any holes to run though. 

Think the issue with Mixon, or at least my issue was that he looked like JAG but was due top 5 money. Now he's making JAG money so while I still wish we had a better RB, I agree it probably doesn't matter with this OL.

Once again this team is going exactly as far as Burrow is able to drag them. I wish they'd do a better job of keeping him clean just like I wish we had a RB that can create and be more of a dual threat, also didn't have people cooking off AKs like it's Mogadishu in his suburban backyard as a bonus, but at this point we have what we have. Plenty of time to talk about how much he smiles and how Volson is the most improved player while they draft punters instead come the off-season. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

An NFL offensive line coach does not teach veteran NFL linemen how to block. If they don’t know how to block, they never would have made it out of college. Blocking technique is ingrained: feet go here…body leans this direction..mirroring goes that way. 

The NFL offensive line coaches are responsible for essentially one thing in game: making sure the line call is coordinated with the OC/HC play call. It was a simple concept way back when—follow the diagram. 

image.png.a236cadad783ae01479ea6a96b9a1265.png

The guys on the other side of the ball are playing too. One would wish the diagram would have them stand like statues—but that doesn’t happen. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

An NFL offensive line coach does not teach veteran NFL linemen how to block. If they don’t know how to block, they never would have made it out of college. Blocking technique is ingrained: feet go here…body leans this direction..mirroring goes that way. 

The NFL offensive line coaches are responsible for essentially one thing in game: making sure the line call is coordinated with the OC/HC play call. It was a simple concept way back when—follow the diagram. 

image.png.a236cadad783ae01479ea6a96b9a1265.png

The guys on the other side of the ball are playing too. One would wish the diagram would have them stand like statues—but that doesn’t happen. 

My biggest question there is who is grading the OL draft picks and do they still have a job here.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

My biggest question there is who is grading the OL draft picks and do they still have a job here.

That is an excellent point. I should have clarified that not each and every lineman coming out of WhatsamattaU is a finished blocking product. Naturally some are exceptionally better than others—but not always dependent on the level of competition. 

Somebody saw something with Volson at NDSU. He was on a line which dominated their opponents. The eyeball test says: this guy has the measurables and can block. From my untrained NFL eyes, he still has some game. Prince played on perennial National Championship level OSU teams—and was noticeably qualified. 

Who the hell knows why Player X outshines Player Y at this level? I’ve always said the NFL Draft is the world’s greatest Dart Game. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/16/2023 at 12:45 PM, BlackJesus said:

I wish the Falcons would realize they are wasting Kyle Pitts career and deal him for a 2nd rounder? Pitts on the Bengals would be awesome. 

Doubt Falcons would trade him 

If they did  think they'd want a 1st rounder and a later pick.

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

That is an excellent point. I should have clarified that not each and every lineman coming out of WhatsamattaU is a finished blocking product. Naturally some are exceptionally better than others—but not always dependent on the level of competition. 

Somebody saw something with Volson at NDSU. He was on a line which dominated their opponents. The eyeball test says: this guy has the measurables and can block. From my untrained NFL eyes, he still has some game. Prince played on perennial National Championship level OSU teams—and was noticeably qualified. 

Who the hell knows why Player X outshines Player Y at this level? I’ve always said the NFL Draft is the world’s greatest Dart Game. 

I very much agree here and picking an offensive lineman outside of the top handful (which history has proven is FAR from an exact science in its own right) is very much a "pluck and pray" situation.  Loads of not overly impressive physically, yet clearly capable OL are taken in later rounds only because they couldn't show what they can do as part of a competent *unit*.  Put them in that environment and they just thrive - they either stop having to try and be a hero OR stop having a bunch of schlubs failing all around them - and they just have to do their job, making the GM look like a genius.  I would imagine it should similarly make Alabama/OSU/etc linemen easier to scout because they already benefit from being surrounded by capable linemen.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I dont see the Bengals offering up any picks for Perine. They value picks too much.

A 6th rounder ??

Denver isn't using him.

Plus they get his salary albeitt meager off their books.

We bring back a player that could change the whole dynamic of the offense with his blocking alone.

He adds tough short yardage gains.

He knows the whole system.

He's loved by the whole org and the city.. 

I see it as a no brainer...

• Upvote 1

Just now, claptonrocks said:

A 6th rounder ??

Denver isn't using him.

Plus they get his salary about meager off their books.

We bring back a player that could change the whole dynamic of the offense with his blocking alone.

He adds tough short yardage gains.

He knows the whole system.

He's loved by the whole org and the city.. 

I see it as a no brainer.

I'd do it for a 6, they wont. Perine didn't want to be here, they offered him a contract that was similar to what Denver did, I'm not sure that trading for him is something he would want either.

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Who knows??

Isn't that why you hire coaches ?

They either improve players and units or theyve failed.

48 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I'd do it for a 6, they wont. Perine didn't want to be here, they offered him a contract that was similar to what Denver did, I'm not sure that trading for him is something he would want either.

I'll be devil's advocate here.

Perine left for the opportunity to be a feature back or very minimum RB2.

He's Denver's RB3  on a team going Nowhere.

I believe he'd be receptive to come back here being RB2 in the playoffs race...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I had the opportunity to talk with David Fulcher on WLW.

We agreed that defenses adjust quickly to attack Volson's  spot...

They stunt their End and tackle then shoot a blitzer thru the opening as Volson leans to the End .

Mixon doesn't block the blitzer instead 

looking for a screen pass which goes nowhere with 8 in the box..

Hence you give Burrow 2 seconds to throw which leads to one look Chase.

It happens play after play.

Bringing back Perine would fill that opening enabling JB more time to pass.

He was fully onboard with bringing back Perine to get the offense back to Rollin..

• Upvote 1