Random 2024 Bengals related stuff

Wasn't sure where to put this, so I guess here is as good a place as any...

With today's announcement of the (apparent) death of Sports Illustrated, people on X are posting their favorite SI memories. That got me thinking about an issue and article that was significant to me. It happened during my favorite Bengals season of all time: 1981.

When the December 14, 1981 issue arrived in my mailbox, I'm sure I couldn't believe what I was seeing, because there on the cover was an actual Bengals player, the first to ever be on the cover of SI, posed in the cool new jersey and striped helmet. But even more amazing than the cover was a quote from Collinsworth, where I saw the word "Bengals" and "Super Bowl" mentioned in the same paragraph for the first time in my life.

"Collinsworth on the Bengals' emergence as a force in the NFL: "The writers keep asking us, 'Are you thinking about the playoffs?' They expect us to say things like, 'This is a tough league,' and 'It's a long season,' but when they ask me I tell 'em, 'Go ahead and make reservations for Detroit. We'll be there in January.' The fans are loving it. It's been about six years since we started like this, and everybody wants to go to the Super Bowl. I'm worried about finding enough tickets."

At the time of that interview, the team had just beaten Houston to go to 6-3, one week before the shocking beatdown of the Chargers in San Diego. So to predict a Super Bowl for a team that had gone 4-12, 4-12, and 6-10 was pretty bold. I couldn't believe what I was reading, but I liked it.

CATCH A CATCHING STAR: SI Vault - December 14, 1981

image.thumb.png.4f504b42d820b80632810b9b9de16bdf.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Report: Marvin Lewis is expected to join Antonio Pierce’s staff

Published January 19, 2024 09:27 PM

The Raiders have their head coach, taking the interim tag of Antonio Pierce’s title Friday. Now, he can begin the process of filling out his staff.

Pierce reportedly is consulting with Tom Coughlin.

The Raiders want Marvin Lewis in some official capacity on staff, NFL Media reports. Pierce hired Lewis to help him after he was named interim coach halfway through the season.

Lewis now is expected to have a formal role.

It is not surprising given the long relationship between the men. Lewis coached Pierce in Washington and the two were on Herm Edwards’ staff at Arizona State before Pierce joined the Raiders in 2022.

Pierce will not retain most of the team’s offensive staff, including interim coordinator Bo Hardegree, per NFL Media.

The Raiders averaged 289.5 yards per game, which ranked 27th, and 19.5 points per game, which ranked 23rd.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-marvin-lewis-is-expected-to-join-antonio-pierces-staff

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Arkansas Bengal said:

Report: Marvin Lewis is expected to join Antonio Pierce’s staff

Published January 19, 2024 09:27 PM

The Raiders have their head coach, taking the interim tag of Antonio Pierce’s title Friday. Now, he can begin the process of filling out his staff.

Pierce reportedly is consulting with Tom Coughlin.

The Raiders want Marvin Lewis in some official capacity on staff, NFL Media reports. Pierce hired Lewis to help him after he was named interim coach halfway through the season.

Lewis now is expected to have a formal role.

It is not surprising given the long relationship between the men. Lewis coached Pierce in Washington and the two were on Herm Edwards’ staff at Arizona State before Pierce joined the Raiders in 2022.

Pierce will not retain most of the team’s offensive staff, including interim coordinator Bo Hardegree, per NFL Media.

The Raiders averaged 289.5 yards per game, which ranked 27th, and 19.5 points per game, which ranked 23rd.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-marvin-lewis-is-expected-to-join-antonio-pierces-staff

Saw that elsewhere.

He'll have them up to mediocre in... a few years.

Or maybe down to mediocre.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Saw that elsewhere.

Not a surprise... they worked on the defensive staff at Arizona St when Herm was the HC there,

Marvin's a great defensive coach... I'm sure he'd be one again, if that were his role.

Or, maybe as an assistant to the HC, helping Pierce as a first-time coach, especially given Pierce hasn't experienced a full season/off-season and Marvin could impart some of his knowledge. Say that you want about Marvin's playoff record - it's deserved... but he brought the Bengals a long, long way to respectability. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Bleeds Orange said:

Wasn't sure where to put this, so I guess here is as good a place as any...

With today's announcement of the (apparent) death of Sports Illustrated, people on X are posting their favorite SI memories. That got me thinking about an issue and article that was significant to me. It happened during my favorite Bengals season of all time: 1981.

When the December 14, 1981 issue arrived in my mailbox, I'm sure I couldn't believe what I was seeing, because there on the cover was an actual Bengals player, the first to ever be on the cover of SI, posed in the cool new jersey and striped helmet. But even more amazing than the cover was a quote from Collinsworth, where I saw the word "Bengals" and "Super Bowl" mentioned in the same paragraph for the first time in my life.

At the time of that interview, the team had just beaten Houston to go to 6-3, one week before the shocking beatdown of the Chargers in San Diego. So to predict a Super Bowl for a team that had gone 4-12, 4-12, and 6-10 was pretty bold. I couldn't believe what I was reading, but I liked it.

CATCH A CATCHING STAR: SI Vault - December 14, 1981

image.thumb.png.4f504b42d820b80632810b9b9de16bdf.png

I had this hanging in my dorm room.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Saw that elsewhere.

Wouldn't it be something if Marvin had Chad interviewed as their WR coach?

Chad is 100% dedicated to the Bengals but he's very fond of Lewis .

His loyalty here would be to much to accept it imo.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Wouldn't it be something if Marvin had Chad interviewed as their WR coach?

Chad is 100% dedicated to the Bengals but he's very fond of Lewis .

His loyalty here would be to much to accept it imo.

I often wondered how much the opposite was true regarding the fondness of eachother.  At times Lewis seemed to love Chad, but just as often that coach merely tolerated him.  :)

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

I often wondered how much the opposite was true regarding the fondness of eachother.  At times Lewis seemed to love Chad, but just as often that coach merely tolerated him.  :)

I see your point.  As much as I/we all liked Chad, I can see his antics being distracting.

• Upvote 1

On 1/20/2024 at 1:37 PM, High School Harry said:

For MOC.

She *cough* and MOC were close and intimate *cough* personal friends on a long gone board, babe.

image.thumb.png.9f118c8faa0943ac99c3ae9a0a91d2c9.png

Love this 😀 True story my Mom used to hang with Marge and Rosemary Clooney in their younger days. 

I think it would be awesome for Marge and Paul Browns Ghost to make an occasional visit to this board :049:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MOC said:

Love this 😀 True story my Mom used to hang with Marge and Rosemary Clooney in their younger days. 

I think it would be awesome for Marge and Paul Browns Ghost to make an occasional visit to this board :049:

Rosemary had mental issues but the woman was a superstar in her day.

Btw..that's pretty cool..😊

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

More on the 88 Bengals ...

Amish and I were both in attendance this day (albeit in different parts of the stadium). 

It started out so wonderfully (Stanley Wilson’s idiocy aside) 

IMG_1411.jpeg

(Amish is not in this photo. I invite him to show his photo memory of this day)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Amish and I were both in attendance this day (albeit in different parts of the stadium). 

It started out so wonderfully (Stanley Wilson’s idiocy aside) 

IMG_1411.jpeg

(Amish is not in this photo. I invite him to show his photo memory of this day)

I never realized Napoleon Dynamite was a Bengals fan.

• Upvote 2