Bengals' Justin Rascati believes the offense runs through the OL

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2024/02/18/bengals-justin-rascati-believes-offense-runs/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0cYT5i-9b0g6KpcPX0ANDP4a383A0HTK0zS9I2IZrZNLi6mM6_ObdO6HY

With the recent shake-up in the coaching staff for the Cincinnati Bengals after former offensive coordinator Brian Callahan moved on to be the head coach of the Tennessee Titans, Justin Rascati was brought on staff to be the pass game coordinator.

A former quarterback at the college level, Rascati has been an offensive coach for a while now after spending time at the college and pro levels, but believes he learned a lot from being the offensive line coach with the Minnesota Vikings.

“I would say I wish I did this 10 years ago before I called plays,” Rascati said to Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com. “Obviously, you want to build your system around your quarterback and what his skill set is. But I think it’s also important to kind of see it through the lens of the offensive line.

“I think it’s helped me tremendously from a run game standpoint to protection plan to really understanding more than scheme. More technique fundamentals. And what problem looks they may have and how to handle it. And how to really protect those guys because, in this league, games are won at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. You can quickly get exposed at this level with your protection plan if it’s not sound.”

While Rascati won’t have as big of an impact on what the offense looks like as many other coaches will, the way he views the offense is still a good voice to have in the room.

5 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2024/02/18/bengals-justin-rascati-believes-offense-runs/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0cYT5i-9b0g6KpcPX0ANDP4a383A0HTK0zS9I2IZrZNLi6mM6_ObdO6HY

With the recent shake-up in the coaching staff for the Cincinnati Bengals after former offensive coordinator Brian Callahan moved on to be the head coach of the Tennessee Titans, Justin Rascati was brought on staff to be the pass game coordinator.

A former quarterback at the college level, Rascati has been an offensive coach for a while now after spending time at the college and pro levels, but believes he learned a lot from being the offensive line coach with the Minnesota Vikings.

“I would say I wish I did this 10 years ago before I called plays,” Rascati said to Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com. “Obviously, you want to build your system around your quarterback and what his skill set is. But I think it’s also important to kind of see it through the lens of the offensive line.

“I think it’s helped me tremendously from a run game standpoint to protection plan to really understanding more than scheme. More technique fundamentals. And what problem looks they may have and how to handle it. And how to really protect those guys because, in this league, games are won at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. You can quickly get exposed at this level with your protection plan if it’s not sound.”

While Rascati won’t have as big of an impact on what the offense looks like as many other coaches will, the way he views the offense is still a good voice to have in the room.

Hope his voice is loud and clear for changes..

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

In all fairness to Coach Rascati, what doesn't run through this offensive line?

I'm glad he's making noise about it now, though.

A change of direction on how we build train and use our Olinemen is a priority to get to the big game.

Hopefully he can provide it 

• Upvote 1

The 2021 SB season proved that good passing schematics can mask bad OL talent. 

Last year the Bengals got away from their empty quick passing sets, and started to use 3 and 4 WR and ironically that brought more pass rush which they couldn't handle.

There's always two ways to 'skin the cat'. Forcing the defense to fall back and only rush 4 to cover your WR threats is one of those. But recently the Bengals rarely have 3 healthy WR targets and hardly ever 4 good ones. 

So "fixing the OL" is also connected to fixing the WR options as they're symbiotically connected. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, T-Dub said:

In all fairness to Coach Rascati, what doesn't run through this offensive line?

I'm glad he's making noise about it now, though.

Well for the first 2 years of Zac, our OL was ignored and even now it is a mild focus, not a heavy focus. So one can say this team did not make a statement like this coach did. 

• Upvote 1

I'm glad they have another guy with a lot of OL coaching experience. That said, wonder how Pollack took it, and how well will they work together? Could be a great marriage but could also be some contention there. Will be interesting to watch.

If nothing else, having another voice as they get to FA and draft player targeting could be a good thing, IMO. Lord knows they haven't figured it out for a long while... at least in the draft. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

The 2021 SB season proved that good passing schematics can mask bad OL talent. 

Last year the Bengals got away from their empty quick passing sets, and started to use 3 and 4 WR and ironically that brought more pass rush which they couldn't handle.

There's always two ways to 'skin the cat'. Forcing the defense to fall back and only rush 4 to cover your WR threats is one of those. But recently the Bengals rarely have 3 healthy WR targets and hardly ever 4 good ones. 

So "fixing the OL" is also connected to fixing the WR options as they're symbiotically connected. 

Also a phenomenal quarterback and super excellent receivers.

Surprised you didn't say that (intended as a compliment)

5 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Chuck Fizzle and Iosivas aren’t in that group I notice. 

... I see Chuck as a PR who should also be a KR. But I am not sold on him as a WR. 

Yoshi I think can be a great WR3 next year, but not a WR2 yet. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, texbengal said:

I'm glad they have another guy with a lot of OL coaching experience. That said, wonder how Pollack took it, and how well will they work together? Could be a great marriage but could also be some contention there. Will be interesting to watch.

If nothing else, having another voice as they get to FA and draft player targeting could be a good thing, IMO. Lord knows they haven't figured it out for a long while... at least in the draft. 

honestly with as much how our qb got hit and our rushing attack faltered , if Pollack  takes offense to it , and doesnt admit he is right, he isnt the

OL coach we want. 

• Upvote 1

man the OL is a tough evaluation with the QB change, i felt Jake held the ball due to inexperience and had some sacks due to youth/experience problems. 

each joe and jake were sacked 24 times. they each kind of played half a season. but jake took 6 against the chiefs. i felt like they confused him in coverages and he ate it a bunch of times.

QB SACKS per game:

2020 - 3.2/3.3 depends if you wanna devide it by the half he missed also, would be technically 3.3/game

2021 - 3.3

2022 - 2.6

2023 - 2.4 which is joe's stats and thats with his limited mobility, etc.

so they are down nearly a sack a game. QB knockdowns is about 50/year over the last few, so thats 3-ish a game. 

with an ever changing and injured oline (and a fucking terrible LG) i dont know how to really evaluate. we are getting punked at LG, and the safety net of mixon who couldnt block the sun in a windowless basement, is my biggest concern.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

even rounding it up to 3 sacks a game,  the games i watched find that number incredibly misleading,  even doing quick passes the qb rarely didnt either take a hit or wasnt under pressure.   and that was with a high majority of shotgun formations. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Fair to say a good RT could elevate the rest of them.  Need some competition for the interior OL as well, though.

Competing at LG?

Hell u and I should give it a shot.

Volson for all the accolades about improving was still bad no matter what Frank Potluck says