Who is your Puke Pick @ 18? 🤮

Anyone who won't be starting in 2024. We've had a couple of disappointing first round picks in 2022 and 2023. Let's not make it 3 years in a row. It's not as if our roster is so bullet proof we have locked in starters at every position. 

So a Quinyon Mitchell would be a better pick than a Byron Murphy or Johnny Newton for instance. 

2 minutes ago, soundstreamer said:

A few players I really dont want but my top puke pick would be Brock Bowers.  

Second would be any WR.

Why? Bowers or Brian Thomas would certainly be starters right off the bat and help the offense. We could address the O-line in round 2 and NT in round 3 or later. So taking a good offensive player should definitely be a possibility. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Why? Bowers or Brian Thomas would certainly be starters right off the bat and help the offense. We could address the O-line in round 2 and NT in round 3 or later. So taking a good offensive player should definitely be a possibility. 

We would be better served with a DT or OT at 18 and a WR later. I would not like at either though, I think any stretch pick , like a Barton at 18 would be puke worthy. Any pick that we could have traded back and still got is a puke pick for me. Or any QB lol. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I like Thomas a lot but I don't think he could start as a slot receiver this season. Great outside vertical threat but doesn't have anywhere near enough of a route tree right now imo. So that would mean Chase in the slot nearly all the time. Chase can certainly do it, but I'm not sure I'd want him to do it 80 percent of the time. But Thomas could definitely replace Higgins as an outside receiver in 2025. 

There are at least 5 slot or inside/outside WRs who the Bengals could take on Day 2 who could start immediately in Boyd's slot though. I different podcasts both Mike Potts and Steve Radicevic were pretty vague on positions and rounds in the draft...except for WR. They love the WR options in the 2nd and 3rd round. Would be shocked if the Bengals didn't draft a WR with one of those Day Three three picks.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Thomas wouldn't be a starter as Jamar and Tee would be ahead of him.  Bowers may start but I don't see him as the generational talent a lot people say he will be and is not worth being picked at 18.  I think Oline needs tons of help and need at least 2 picks in the first 3 rounds.  Need a DT somewhere as well but pickings are slim for a NT.  A WR in the 3rd round may not be a bad choice.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

How do you think Thomas would start right away?

I don't see it ..

Plug and play is what they'll go for.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, soundstreamer said:

Thomas wouldn't be a starter as Jamar and Tee would be ahead of him.  Bowers may start but I don't see him as the generational talent a lot people say he will be and is not worth being picked at 18.  I think Oline needs tons of help and need at least 2 picks in the first 3 rounds.  Need a DT somewhere as well but pickings are slim for a NT.  A WR in the 3rd round may not be a bad choice.

Agree.  

How many WRs that are extremely talented to produce in a High level with an opportunity in this draft?

Endless folks..😎

• Upvote 1

I don’t think they will take anyone not worth the pick, so I don’t think I have a puke pick. But if they pass on a quality RT I will not be happy. Protect. The. Franchise. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

I don’t think they will take anyone not worth the pick, so I don’t think I have a puke pick. But if they pass on a quality RT I will not be happy. Protect. The. Franchise. 

If they pass on a RT for anyone but Byron Murphy I will be unhappy.

If they do take Murphy in the first... pipe dream, he won't be there...

I would trade #49, #80 and #97 to the highest bidder and take the best O lineman with that pick

including Centers and OG's.

19 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

We would be better served with a DT or OT at 18 and a WR later. I would not like at either though, I think any stretch pick , like a Barton at 18 would be puke worthy. Any pick that we could have traded back and still got is a puke pick for me. Or any QB lol. 

We have a pair of good 3Ts with Rankins and Hill. We don't have a good NT at present. The top DTs in this draft (Newton, Murphy, and Fiske) are 3Ts and wouldn't make sense for the Bengals, unless Anarumo plans to change his scheme. We can get a NT in round 3 or later. So D-line shouldn't be on the menu in round 1. I agree the Bengals don't need to trade up or reach for a player. There will be good ones on the board at 18 who can help the team.

19 hours ago, dex said:

I like Thomas a lot but I don't think he could start as a slot receiver this season. Great outside vertical threat but doesn't have anywhere near enough of a route tree right now imo. So that would mean Chase in the slot nearly all the time. Chase can certainly do it, but I'm not sure I'd want him to do it 80 percent of the time. But Thomas could definitely replace Higgins as an outside receiver in 2025. 

There are at least 5 slot or inside/outside WRs who the Bengals could take on Day 2 who could start immediately in Boyd's slot though. I different podcasts both Mike Potts and Steve Radicevic were pretty vague on positions and rounds in the draft...except for WR. They love the WR options in the 2nd and 3rd round. Would be shocked if the Bengals didn't draft a WR with one of those Day Three three picks.

We don't know if Thomas can play the slot since he didn't need to in college. But we do need to replace Boyd's snaps as well as prepare for Tee's departure. There are more slot receiver types in this class than top outside receivers. We can get by for a year without drafting a receiver at all. Gesicki, Jones, Irwin, and Iosivas can cover Boyd's snaps. But Tee has missed a lot of time himself, never playing more than 800 snaps in a season. We don't seem to be close to extending Tee and if we are open to trading him, then drafting Thomas would make a lot of sense. Even with all 3 of Chase, Higgins, and Thomas on the roster, we'd be in good shape weapons wise. 

19 hours ago, soundstreamer said:

Thomas would certainly be the 3rd best WR on the roster and would play ahead of Irwin or Iosivas. Tee wouldn't be good in the slot and Thomas might not thrive there. But Chase certainly can play there a dozen snaps a game. 

18 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

How do you think Thomas would start right away?

I don't see it ..

Plug and play is what they'll go for.

So that rules out D-line or O-line. Unless you think Barton will beat out Volson or Latham or Mims as a rookie will beat out a healthy Trent Brown.

3 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

... If Jared Verse slid I think the Bengals would be interested. They met with him as well.

I actually like Darius Robinson, but view him more as a DT (he's played both).

Taking a DE would be awful. It would be doubling down on last year's mistake, we we drafted Murphy even though our top 5 DEs were under contract. Unsurprisingly, he didn't play much or have an impact. Let's not be stuck on stupid. 

You overlook the value of a dominant, starting OT in this league. First, a competent swing, particularly behind an oft injured player, is a vital need (that isn’t currently on the team). Second, it is ABSOLUTELY worth taking a high upside OT this year EVEN IF he sits and learns and develops behind the staters. The long term value is too great. I’m not loookong to win a Super Bowl. I’m looking for Super Bowls. 

I’ll be happy with any player that makes us a better, more complete team (for example, I’m amazed at how seldom people are talking about our LB needs, even in later rounds), but to say OT should not be a major target in this draft (or by the same logic IOL given our situation next year), is a major overstatement. 

protect the franchise. 

Just now, Montana Bengal said:

A lineman with short arms?

Short arms are fine at guard or center (preferred), but at OT it's a huge impediment. It's why some of these OT get projected inside. 

But this draft also has some of that longest arms in recent memory with Mims and Paul at 36" and Latham at 35".