Schedule Release thread

If Parrish and Williams are worthy, I'd go with them next, since they are older and have been waiting longer.

I understand those who would prioritize merit, but would putting Dillon in this year, following his tirade last year, be perceived as rewarding what some would consider inappropriate comments? And should the franchise consider his bitterness and actions from 2003 when deciding if he gets in? I'm on the HOF committee for the university I work for, and we have what we call the "turd factor". If a student-athlete was a big enough turd, they haven't gotten in, and that has left one All American and a couple other otherwise-deserving candidates out.

If Corey had tried to make amends, I might be more sympathetic, but his comments last year would seem to indicate that he's still burning bridges. Shitting on someone you want something from would not seem to be an effective strategy toward getting what you want.

• Upvote 1

Bengals are biggest favorites of Week 1 with 8.5-point line over Patriots

The Bengals are the team with the best odds to start the season 1-0. Which means the Patriots are the team with the best odds to start the season 0-1.

With the 2024 NFL schedule released, betting lines are out for every game, and in Week One, Cincinnati is the heaviest favorite. The Bengals are favored by 8.5 points over the Patriots.

That’s no surprise, as the Bengals are expected to be among the best teams in the NFL with a healthy Joe Burrow, while the Patriots are expected to be among the worst teams in the NFL with new head coach Jerod Mayo trying to rebuild after the team went south at the end of Bill Belichick’s tenure.

The Patriots may need to get used to being underdogs: They’re underdogs in every game this season. New England and Carolina are the only two teams in the NFL that are not favored in any games.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/bengals-are-biggest-favorites-of-week-1-with-8-5-point-line-over-patriots

6 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Every one of those players belong on that Wall. Figure they all will, eventually. It’s no reduction in their greatness by not being chosen until later. 

Tim

Lamar

Really, you think guys like Breech and Lapham belong in the RoH? What's your criteria? Simply being part of a Super Bowl roster? 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Really, you think guys like Breech and Lapham belong in the RoH? What's your criteria? Simply being part of a Super Bowl roster? 

Criteria is a really valid question and excellent point. 

I'd like to think it includes not only their playing days achievements, but also what kind of teammate they were, what kind of a person they are, how they've given back over the years, and how much they have championed/supported the Bengals since retirement from playing.  IMHO if those points are considered, then yes I would think Breech and Lapham would eventually make it.  But that's just my take of course and probably not the criteria used. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Since it is the Bengals Ring of Honor…and not the Hall of Fame…”criteria” (stats/awards/etc) is subjective. 

Too be honest, and again emphasizing the group presented are all great Bengal players, there are certainly many more great Bengal players who were never on that list. These are the choices however. 

Jim Breech belongs because fans remember him. And he was a marvelous kicker. So was Horst Muhlmann—who is not remembered. Dave Lapham was a long-standing/solid NFL guard…but fans likely only remember him because he is in their eyes and ears as a media personality. Few, if anyone, remembers Pat Matson. 

Not much to debate, if these are the choices. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2024 at 3:57 AM, Le Tigre said:

Since it is the Bengals Ring of Honor…and not the Hall of Fame…”criteria” (stats/awards/etc) is subjective. 

Too be honest, and again emphasizing the group presented are all great Bengal players, there are certainly many more great Bengal players who were never on that list. These are the choices however. 

Jim Breech belongs because fans remember him. And he was a marvelous kicker. So was Horst Muhlmann—who is not remembered. Dave Lapham was a long-standing/solid NFL guard…but fans likely only remember him because he is in their eyes and ears as a media personality. Few, if anyone, remembers Pat Matson. 

I would think throwing his pads into the stands and a domestic violence conviction would exclude Dillon but he scored lots of touchdowns & stuff so who knows...

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

I would think throwing his pads into the stands and a domestic violence conviction would exclude Dillon but he scored lots of touchdowns & stuff so who knows...

He was a bruising runner with a personality no one liked..

Self serving ..

No honor about him...

• Upvote 1

On 5/23/2024 at 6:57 AM, Le Tigre said:

Jim Brerch was mediocre at best.

All this fanfare for a kicker that excelled between 30-39 yards is laughable.

Was 50% from 40-49..

6 for 26 beyond 50..

Marvelous kicker?

Not even close..

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Was 50% from 40-49..

6 for 26 beyond 50..

Marvelous kicker?

Not even close..

Plus he more than once shoved me into the boards in indoor soccer.  He thought it was okay to play soccer like hockey…it isn’t.  Foul called both times. 😎

I also quickly learned  that if he was winding up for a right-footed shot, you had better get out of the way.  🤪

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Was 50% from 40-49..

6 for 26 beyond 50..

Marvelous kicker?

Not even close..

Nuance is lost on you, it seems. 

Go back and read the post in context. I’m not going to debate a point not placed. 

33 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Nuance is lost on you, it seems. 

Go back and read the post in context. I’m not going to debate a point not placed. 

Fair enough.

Your the one that said "marvelous kicker"  not me.

Just wanted to clarify his abilities as a Bengal.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Excerpt from The Athletic - Paul Dehner - on this year's schedule compared to last year's:

Don’t forget how tough the schedule was last year

Lost in the haze of quarterback Joe Burrow’s injuries and defensive disappointment for the Bengals was a relentless schedule that wore them down throughout a 9-8 season. Robert Weintraub hammered home that point in the Almanac. In fact, he trotted out a statistic that put it into even greater perspective.

Judging by their crown jewel Defense-Adjusted Value Over Average number, the Bengals had the eighth toughest schedule in the NFL since 1979 and the toughest any team has endured since 2015. With the combination of the AFC North playing to historic levels and a first-place schedule beyond that including San Francisco, Buffalo and Kansas City, not enough was made about the immense challenges.

In fact, of the 12 toughest schedules faced by any team since 1979, nobody won more games than the Bengals. More than half lost double-digit games. Considering all that went wrong with the quarterback and the level of opponents, those nine wins look quite a bit shinier. It certainly provides hope for 2024.

Of those aforementioned dirty dozen seasons, nine went on to win more games the next year for an overall increase of 13 victories. That increase includes the 2010-11 Bengals that went from 4-12 and Carson Palmer quitting to 9-7 and rookie Andy Dalton leading them to the postseason.

Sharp takes the insight even deeper. Take a look specifically at what is forecast to change in 2024 for the Bengals defense. Last year looked more like an MVP voting ballot than a list of QBs faced: Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Brock Purdy, C.J. Stroud and two games against eventual MVP Lamar Jackson.

This year, based on Sharp’s forecast of expectations, the Bengals defense will go from facing one of the toughest slates in football to one of the easiest. Of the 10 situational efficiency numbers he tracks, the 2024 schedule projects to be easier in every single one — most by a wide margin. 

Make no mistake, defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo and his unit deserve all the smoke sent their way after a substandard 2023. There’s a reason reinforcements and change littered the offseason on that side of the ball. Beyond Geno Stone, Vonn Bell, Kris Jenkins Jr. and an increased role for Myles Murphy, the Bengals defensive prospects should receive a notable boost from a lessening degree of difficulty alone.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1