• David Fulcher (1986-92)
    • Tim Krumrie (1983-94)
    • Dave Lapham (1974-83)
    • Max Montoya (1979-89)
    • Lemar Parrish (1970-77)
    • Bob Trumpy (1968-77)
    • Reggie Williams (1976-89)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/07/2024 at 03:59 AM

Got my email from Elizabeth today:
{48b67080-02b2-4d4b-b669-bf31e962c4fb}_ROH23-VotingOpen(600x300)-EMAIL[1].jpg

They're doing the math slightly differently this time.  Rather than a popularity contest (with implicit recency bias, favoring more recent players and those with national exposure), the voting is weighted in favor of those with longer/older accounts.  Here's the text:

Amish,

We are excited to announce voting has begun in The Official Bengals App for our 4th annual Ring of Honor tradition! We are proud of how this tradition has come to life over the past few years and need your help deciding the next Legends we will be inducting into the 2024 class.  To recognize your support as a Season Ticket Member, voting will be weighted by your member STREAK - the number of consecutive years you have been a Member.

So, old farts like me and LT, who actually saw PB prowling the sidelines at Riverfront, will have our votes given preference over youngsters who think Chad (as great as he was) is a veteran nominee.  Glad Elizabeth read my suggestion about this.

Nominees:

2024ROHNominees.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Last year's Go-Bengals poll results
Linky:   https://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?/topic/87834-2023-ring-of-honor-nominees/

16: Tim Krumrie
11: (*)Boomer Esiason
10: (*)Chad Johnson
8: David Fulcher
3: James Brooks
3: Corey Dillon
3: Dave Lapham
3: Max Montoya
2: Lemar Parrish
2: Reggie Williams
1: Cris Collinsworth
0: Jim Breech
0: Bob Trumpy

(*) Enshrined

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Bleeds Orange said:

Why the lack of love for Lemar Parrish? Is it because he left the Bengals after eight seasons? Some say he was a better player than Ken Riley.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing actually.  He was my first choice from that list...and an easy choice...my second choice was much tougher as lots of players were bunched together for me.

To me, "honor" means Dillon has to wait awhile.

I don't see the Ring as just being a question of talent or even stats. But an intangible quality where I think you consider "Did they bring honor to the team and city while playing and since?" In this way cultural impact is also considered. Did they change the team in a big way with their presence or exemplify what it means to be a "Bengal"?

With all that said, this round I would vote for Krumrie and Fulcher. Two hard-nosed guys who defined that 88 SB team and reinvented the way their positions were viewed around the league. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bleeds Orange said:

Why the lack of love for Lemar Parrish? Is it because he left the Bengals after eight seasons? Some say he was a better player than Ken Riley.

9 hours ago, esjbh2 said:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing actually.  He was my first choice from that list...and an easy choice...my second choice was much tougher as lots of players were bunched together for me.

Because Paul Brown thought he was locker room poison.

Traded him to get rid of him.

Real answer, no ninja.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Real answer, no ninja.

Thanks Harry, I did not know that.  I was just a casual Sunday only fan back in those days so I wasn't aware or don't remember (more likely at this point :) ).  I was actually thinking it was more of a generational thing, but your explanation makes a ton of sense.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Real answer, no ninja.

True .

PB didn't like his vocal salary demands or him for that matter.

He had to go.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Collingworth should be banned from consideration until he apologizes for his years of Streeler knob gobbling. 

When he finally makes it the PA needs to start with "Now here's a guy..."

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Collingworth should be banned from consideration until he apologizes for his years of Stealer knob gobbling. 

So true.  Honestly, Collinsworth was my favorite Bengal of that era at the time.  Now I can't hardly stand him.  Doesn't help that he's doing annoying local TV commercials now too.  As someone who thinks the Ring of Honor should be more than just about game stats, I find it hard to induct him and guys like Corey...although I have softened on Corey over the years and he arguably had some right to be like he was considering the circumstances of those days.

16 minutes ago, Dautcom08 said:

When he finally makes it the PA needs to start with "Now here's a guy..."

Classic!  That would be hilarious.

Parrish and Trumpy got my vote, the fact that Riley died before getting his recognition really sucks and Parrish and Trumpy deserve to be celebrated while they can still enjoy it. 

If the Bengals want more players in the HOF they have to do their part by celebrating their history and putting Parrish and Trumpy in the ROH is a good way to do that. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, esjbh2 said:

So true.  Honestly, Collinsworth was my favorite Bengal of that era at the time.  Now I can't hardly stand him.  Doesn't help that he's doing annoying local TV commercials now too.  As someone who thinks the Ring of Honor should be more than just about game stats, I find it hard to induct him and guys like Corey...although I have softened on Corey over the years and he arguably had some right to be like he was considering the circumstances of those days.

Dillon had to deal with a lot bs from an organization that was not being properly ran, sure, he could have been more professional but it went both ways. Dillon is the best RB in the history of the Bengals, he should be honored as such. 

Those teams had enough talent to be good with the right coaching and support from the org, it was probably very frustrating to now you are one of the best players in the league but be stuck on a team that is going nowhere fast because of incompetence. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Interesting insights descriptions of the two players.  Thanks for sharing.  I had almost forgotten what an electric return man that Lamar was...I liked the comparison to the Neon Deion Sanders of his era.

• Upvote 1

After 2 more rounds of 2 guys and they reach 12 inductees, I hope they scale back to 1 inductee a year, as eventually there will be too many players enshrined and it will not be a true "ring of honor" anymore.

Not sure what their future plan is on that front. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

After 2 more rounds of 2 guys and they reach 12 inductees, I hope they scale back to 1 inductee a year, as eventually there will be too many players enshrined and it will not be a true "ring of honor" anymore.

My quick research shows Dallas has 22.  Stealers have like 50+.  Getting to 20 as catch up seems like a good idea.  8 already in and 11 on the ballot this year that they internally obviously believe are worthy gets you to 19.  Then maybe adjusting the voting criteria to be a % of the total fan vote on any given year for the likes of AJ, TJ, TKO, etc.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

I disagree, this is long overdue and letting 2 guys a year isn't going to cheapen the honor. There are only 2 Bengals in the HOF so this is the one avenue for former Bengals to get the recognition they deserve. 

• Upvote 2