Bengals place Andre Smith on IR

Bengals place Andre Smith on IR
Updated: November 25, 2014, 3:58 PM ET
By Coley Harvey | ESPN.com

CINCINNATI -- Andre Smith's left triceps injury was far worse than the Cincinnati Bengals had originally hoped, forcing him to be placed on season-ending injured reserve Tuesday.

An MRI on Monday revealed he tore the triceps.

The starting right tackle was hurt trying to block Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt in the first quarter of Sunday's 22-13 win at NRG Stadium. As Watt pushed off of him and jumped for an Andy Dalton throw near the Bengals' goal line, Smith pulled up. Watt ended up swatting the pass for his seventh deflection this season. Smith fell to his knees, holding his arm, before medical staff was summoned.

With Smith now done for the year, the Bengals signed free-agent lineman Jamon Meredith on Tuesday, a sixth-year player who most recently played for the Packers. He was waived by Green Bay on Nov. 15, exactly 11 days after the Colts also let him go. On the Colts' roster for nine games, Meredith played in four of them. He was inactive for one game in Green Bay before his departure.

Meredith's addition primarily is to help shore up the Bengals' depth. It appears one of two scenarios could happen as the Bengals try to replace Smith: Either Marshall Newhouse will continue to come off the bench in Smith's place at right tackle, or the Bengals will consider moving starting left guard Clint Boling to right tackle and bring Mike Pollak off the bench to play left guard. Boling played tackle in college, and he became the emergency right tackle for two plays Sunday when Newhouse went down after getting poked in the eye.

After Smith's departure, Newhouse didn't allow Watt to record a sack or a pass deflection. According to Pro Football Focus, he only gave up two quarterback pressures.

This injury was the latest in a series of ailments Smith has fought through. He had concussion problems in training camp and barely practiced all preseason because of them. On Nov. 2, he suffered an ankle injury that held him out one game. He had just gotten over that injury Sunday, and was expecting to make up for a disappointing stretch of games that were defined by untimely penalties. One holding call against Carolina, for instance, came on a Jeremy Hill touchdown run that probably would have won that game in regulation. Instead, the Bengals tied in overtime.

Smith becomes the sixth player to go on the Bengals' season-ending IR this season. A seventh, tight end Tyler Eifert, was placed on the short-term IR in Week 2, but has yet to practice. He was expected to play again three weeks ago. As the weeks go by, his return is seeming less and less likely, although coach Marvin Lewis contends he will be back this year.

Along with Smith and Meredith's moves, the Bengals also announced Tuesday that linebacker Terrell Manning, signed to the practice squad just last week, was claimed by the Giants, who added him onto their active roster.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11937853/cincinnati-bengals-tackle-andre-smith-torn-triceps-goes-injured-reserve

Newhouse next man up at RT with Smith on IR; Boling on deck as vet Meredith signed for emergency

Posted 32 minutes ago

hobson60x60.jpg Geoff Hobson Editor Bengals.com F

The Bengals put starting right tackle Andre Smith on season-ending injured reserve Tuesday with a torn triceps muscle and hired six-year veteran guard-tackle Jamon Meredith for emergency purposes.

The 6-5, 312-pound Meredith comes to his fourth team this season and third in the last month. Cut by the Buccaneers in the preseason, Meredith got picked up by Indianapolis, where he served as the third tackle for four games and played 17 snaps as primarily an extra tight end. After the Colts cut him last month, the Packers picked him up for a game and made him inactive.

Like Smith, Meredith, 28, was in the 2009 draft and was a fifth-round pick of the Packers out of South Carolina. He’s got 24 NFL starts, 20 at both guards for the 2012-13 Buccaneers. He started four games for the Bills as a rookie. Meredith may be able to shed some light on the Bucs since the Bengals travel Sunday (1 p.m.-Cincinnati’s Channel 12) to Tampa.

The plan looks to be to stick with Marshall Newhouse after his effective play against Texans defensive lineman J.J. Watt following Smith’s second-quarter injury in the 22-13 win in Houston. The next option is moving left guard Clint Boling to right tackle and putting Mike Pollak at left guard.

That’s how the Bengals ran one play Sunday after Newhouse had to leave when Watt poked him in the left eye. It was Boling’s first NFL snap at tackle, an incomplete fourth-and-one pass on the 1 to wide receiver A.J. Green in the left corner.

Since overcoming foot problems in his first two seasons, Smith had missed just two games in the three seasons since. He had missed the two previous games with an ankle injury this year.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Newhouse-next-man-up-at-RT-with-Smith-on-IR-Boling-on-deck-as-vet-Meredith-signed-for-emergency--/17a614ac-3747-4ee7-8f35-707bfca3ceeb

Zero faith in Newhouse. They're talking him up like he was somehow holding his own, like nobody saw the game? Watt was abusing him from the moment he walked on the field. Luckily we don't play him every week but Newhouse is a fucking liability and if they don't know that I'd be shocked.

Zero faith in Newhouse. They're talking him up like he was somehow holding his own, like nobody saw the game? Watt was abusing him from the moment he walked on the field. Luckily we don't play him every week but Newhouse is a fucking liability and if they don't know that I'd be shocked.

Newhouse did hold his own. He did way more than anyone expected and considering people feared Watt vs a should be Probowl RT in Andre Smith, Newhouse more than did his job. Does that mean Newhouse will not be a liability the rest of the season? Nope. But he didn't play nearly as bad as you are going on about Sunday.

Newhouse did hold his own. He did way more than anyone expected and considering people feared Watt vs a should be Probowl RT in Andre Smith, Newhouse more than did his job. Does that mean Newhouse will not be a liability the rest of the season? Nope. But he didn't play nearly as bad as you are going on about Sunday.

If his job was to get piggyback rides from JJ Watt then yes, he more than did his job.

I also have very little faith in Newhouse, but the Bengals are stuck with him at this point. He is Plan B. I didn't like it in the off-season and now we are looking at worst case scenario with Andre on IR. The last couple games were better performances than the debacle against Cleveland, but the right tackle position is a potential huge liability with Newhouse playing. This could turn out very poorly.

BTW, whatever happened to Hawkinson? He must not be showing much of anything.

Andre doesn't get credit for the good player he is. Pretty durable the last year or two, but this year dude could get injured eating a bowl of Lucky Charms.

Bright side: it wasn't a leg injury so he should make it back pretty much as the same player.

Negative: We're about to get Rey Maualuga'd, by that I mean we're about to learn to appreciate this dude mainly through his absence.

huh?

I think Go is saying, "No need to give up on the season".  He can clarify that himself though.

It's obvious Newhouse isn't as good as Andre but, I personally, don't think it's time to hit the

panic button on this issue just yet.  We can always make adjustments to give the guy help if

he needs it.  

Everyone thought Watt would be a MAJOR problem going into the Houston game, even with

Andre in there.  Watt really didn't have the impact a lot of us thought he would, myself included.

The only other player that we have coming up that can impact a game like Watt is Von Miller,

like someone mentioned earlier.  If Newhouse starts struggling, surely the coaches can make

the necessary adjustments.  (At least I'd hope so) :)

Smith is a hugely underrated blocker for this team. Yeah, he's a bit weird and injury prone, but when he's on it's lights out. Newhouse was the most miserable lineman I've ever seen against Cleveland, but played pretty well against Houston and Watt. In other words, Newhouse is a microcosm example of the Bengals season writ large so far: when they are good, they are very good, but when they are bad, they are AWFUL.

That's the single most glaring issue with the team to me. When we get down early and often we're folding tents and breaking camp and throwing the ball all over the yard. Not a single one of our losses was even a competitive game. We were blown out of the water all three times.

i was like 41% joking....

i know its quite vogue to hate andre smith after how he came onto the team and all, but there is a big drop off to newhouse, and our last 4 games are against good defenses... the broncos have the worst defense we play, and they have an offense we may have trouble keeping up with...

having your best run blocker and a hog right ancker out isnt good at all...

its a bummer

That and to commit 15 holding fouls that didn't get called (luckily), then yes, he did just fine.

Sucks about Andre. I'm a big fan of his.

He did luck out on a couple of egregious ones that I couldn't believe weren't called on him. One I recall he had his arm hooked around Watt's neck as he was about to murder Dalton.

I think this loss is going to hurt a lot more than a lot of people realize.

Newhouse got toasted a lot. The Texans non-press coverage made it easy for Dalton to release quick. That coupled with the TE and RBs helping, along with a few non-holds, saved Newhouse. To me, it looked like he was being abused.

And that's the thing. Going forward the offense is going to have to plan on help for Newhouse, meaning one less player being able to potentially gain yards as a receiver. OTOH, Dalton is not super slow. Perhaps they can start working some more rollouts into the game plan just to get him out of harm's way and more towards Whit's side to buy time.

Archived