Roethlisberger suspended 6 games(officially), Stealers contacting teams about trading him

oldschooler

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2010/04/20/all-eyes-on-how-long-for-roethlisbergers-suspension/"][b][size="5"]All eyes on how long for Roethlisberger's suspension[/size][/b][/url]
Posted by [email="jreedy@enquirer.com"]jreedy[/email] April 20th, 2010, 12:35 pm

Even though the schedule is getting released tonight and the draft starts Thursday, one of the main topics of conversation is how long Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger will get suspended. It is also something that a lot of players are eyeing with great interest since there has been precedence from commissioner Roger Goodell on suspending players who have not been convicted.

On Dan Patrick's radio show on Monday, Goodell said that Roethlisberger has violated the player conduct policy. Bengals safety Chris Crocker echoed the sentiment of a lot of players on Tuesday when asked about the suspension.

"I'm sure a lot of people are looking at what's going to happen with him," Crocker said. "We all know Goodell has come down strong on a lot of guys who haven't been convicted. Roethlisberger's the same. Just because he's a franchise quarterback and won two Super Bowls and he's kind of the face of that franchise his punishment should be dealt with the same as everybody else.

"I'm interested to see what's going to happen. It will affect everyone because you can't replace him. It's not like you can put in another guy and they can keep going. It's going to be interesting. I don't know. At the end of the day there's going to be some type of suspension so we'll see."

(Click the link below for the entire article)

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2010/04/20/all-eyes-on-how-long-for-roethlisbergers-suspension/"]http://cincinnati.co...ers-suspension/[/url]

As a bengals fan the more the better. As a general fan of the NFL, this is a great example of Goodell's dumbass policy doing the exact opposite for the league. It creates more fuel for the fire and more stories and focus on athlete's behavior that you will never ever be able to control entirely.

Since he has created this standard, I still have to ask if the US Justice system deems it ok to be free, then how is he not fit to play QB in the NFL?

Like many claimed with Chris Henry, the policy makes these players targets as well. Now the accuser doesn't even have to have a story good enough to bring legal action.

[quote name='scharm' date='20 April 2010 - 10:35 AM' timestamp='1271784909' post='879334']
As a bengals fan the more the better. As a general fan of the NFL, this is a great example of Goodell's dumbass policy doing the exact opposite for the league. It creates more fuel for the fire and more stories and focus on athlete's behavior that you will never ever be able to control entirely.

Since he has created this standard, I still have to ask if the US Justice system deems it ok to be free, then how is he not fit to play QB in the NFL?

Like many claimed with Chris Henry, the policy makes these players targets as well. Now the accuser doesn't even have to have a story good enough to bring legal action.
[/quote]

I totally agree, he has painted himself into a corner where if anything comes out in the media he has to suspend players and as soon as he doesn't people will yell at him why did our teams players get suspended but not theirs. He has to suspend Ben otherwise there will be an uproar, but it has basically become the media is the prosecutor and Goodell is the judge and jury.

[quote]Updated: April 20, 2010, 12:59 PM ET
Roethlisberger is no role model
(Steelers quarterback's apology included odd offer that public didn't need)

By Tim Keown
ESPN.com
Archive | Contact

As we wait for the white smoke to emerge from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's office, there are a thousand ancillary issues to discuss in the case of Benjamin T. Roethlisberger v. Common Sense.

Where do you want to take it? There's the question of a league-mandated suspension, which doesn't seem to be a question of if but how long. There's the question of fame and its ability to induce sociopathic behavior in people whose brains might be too small to handle the load. There's the question of the hazards of public life in the public age, which is raised only when public figures get caught in stupid and/or criminal acts.

All of these topics -- and more -- can be addressed through the public statement Roethlisberger issued late last week. (This is the type of case -- a confluence of sports, sex, wealth and idiocy -- that can keep Shepard Smith and Dylan Ratigan in business for weeks.) We've become so conditioned to being played for fools that Roethlisberger's words didn't rate much mention over the past few days. It was just more of the same: a guy whose public profile far exceeds his ability to understand it standing up there awkwardly reading words he probably didn't write.

It's easy to understand the apology to the Rooneys and his teammates (standard fare of post-screwup statements), and it's laughable but expected for him to say he's "happy to put this behind me and move forward." We expect it, even if we think it might be better for him to keep this issue front and center, every day for the rest of his life, to lessen the chances of it happening again.

Maybe it's unfair to parse Roethlisberger's statement and cherry-pick the most ridiculous parts. (So few words, so much ridiculousness.) Clearly, his actions have prompted more thinking than he could summon in seven lifetimes. If it wasn't for football, he'd he roaming the woods behind the trailer, hunting that big squirrel he saw a while back.

But given the situation, it's impossible to ignore the guy when he says, "I absolutely want to be the leader this team deserves, valued in the community and a role model to kids."

This is too rich. Given the information we now know -- sordid details of a famous quarterback hounding his way, security guards in tow, through the dive-bar crawl in a backwater college town -- the idea of Roethlisberger emerging from the bathroom to resume the hard but obligatory work of being a role model for America's youth is remarkable for its ability to combine sheer ignorance with an unbreakable sense of entitlement.

It takes a lot to shock us. It takes a lot to insult us. We're a resilient people, accepting beyond the point of numbness. After all, we live in the age of fathers speaking to sons from beyond the grave for the purpose of repackaging yesterday's Jesus into today's ... well, Jesus. And if all goes well, to sell a few 7-irons along the way.

But this might beat it: Big Ben as role model? It sounds like the beginning of a Chris Rock bit. Even Tiger didn't try this one. Sexual assault allegations follow Roethlisberger around at a rate far out of proportion to the rest of society -- they're his shadow, really -- and he considers himself a role model? At best, he's a very unlucky guy with a propensity for attracting women -- OK, girls -- with a habit for false accusation. At worst, he's a serial predator. Read the police report, decide for yourself.

(By the way, Santonio Holmes or Roethlisberger? A specious argument, I know, but if you jettison one, how do you keep the other?)

The whole role-model thing might be the most ludicrous idea ever imagined. The concept of our coddled and impressionable youth drawing life lessons from a guy with a big curveball or an ability to move in the pocket is solely a construct of the industry and its mouthpieces. It was born on the back of myth: the slugger promising the ailing boy a homer, the fearsome defensive tackle tossing his jersey in exchange for a soda. In real life, a kid might model his seven-step drop after Roethlisberger, but beyond that they're both on their own.

Charles Barkley famously denied himself role-model status, perhaps a preemptive strike against anybody who wanted to make him one. Ben, however, is willing to take up the cross and bear the burden of leading our children down the righteous path. God love him.

But Ben, one thing before you get too far along: This is something we get to decide. We know you're accustomed to getting your way, but trust us on this one. Barring something unforeseen, you're not a qualified applicant. We'll get back to you if something changes, but we're in kind of a role-model hiring freeze until further notice.

We've been through a lot. We've long ago stopped expecting much more than a good effort on the field and a few meaningless public-relations gestures off it. It's not our fault the marketers and image-makers continue to mistake our apathy for ignorance.

But every so often, provided the perfect storm of circumstance, we can still summon disgust and outrage, right?

Or, at the very least, a good scoff and a roll of the eyes.[/quote]

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?id=5118128

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='20 April 2010 - 05:05 PM' timestamp='1271797521' post='879464']
My gut tells me 4 games....
[/quote]

I was thinking 4 as well....but after the schedule release, it could be 6. They have 6 games, then play 3 straight primetime games games 7-9. It would be a big story if his first game back was a primetime game. It would also make sense that he would get his feet wet in a couple games before playing in primetime so they dont get blown out...

Hmmm....4 or 6 would be a good bet though. More the merrier

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='20 April 2010 - 02:08 PM' timestamp='1271797688' post='879466']
I was thinking 4 as well....but after the schedule release, it could be 6. They have 6 games, then play 3 straight primetime games games 7-9. It would be a big story if his first game back was a primetime game. It would also make sense that he would get his feet wet in a couple games before playing in primetime so they dont get blown out...

Hmmm....4 or 6 would be a good bet though. More the merrier
[/quote]

If its 4, they have a bye right there to work him into the lineup.

[quote name='Oldcat' date='20 April 2010 - 05:10 PM' timestamp='1271797846' post='879468']
If its 4, they have a bye right there to work him into the lineup.
[/quote]

That is pretty convenient for them.

All signs in my opinion point to 4 or 6. Either Id be fine with, preferring 6 obviously.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='20 April 2010 - 02:12 PM' timestamp='1271797937' post='879470']
That is pretty convenient for them.

All signs in my opinion point to 4 or 6. Either Id be fine with, preferring 6 obviously.
[/quote]

Its all about convenience for the Steelers.

If I were goodell, I would just say its a random 8 games in the year - an extra coin flip at kickoff!

[quote name='Oldcat' date='20 April 2010 - 05:15 PM' timestamp='1271798107' post='879474']
Its all about convenience for the Steelers.

If I were goodell, I would just say its a random 8 games in the year - an extra coin flip at kickoff!
[/quote]

Haha that would be awesome.

By the way, the steelers first of those 3 straight prime time games in Steelers vs Saints. That game will go up against the World Series.

The NFL would probably love to have that be Bens first game back as it may steal some world series watchers away to see how he is greeted back, etc.

So maybe it will be 6 games?

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='20 April 2010 - 02:19 PM' timestamp='1271798353' post='879478']
Haha that would be awesome.

By the way, the steelers first of those 3 straight prime time games in Steelers vs Saints. That game will go up against the World Series.

The NFL would probably love to have that be Bens first game back as it may steal some world series watchers away to see how he is greeted back, etc.

So maybe it will be 6 games?
[/quote]

I think you should call it Sinners vs Saints.

[quote name='MrDingleDangle' date='20 April 2010 - 02:34 PM' timestamp='1271799248' post='879495']
just got sent this on twitter Filed to ESPN Pittsburgh just traded a seventh-round pick for former Buccaneers QB Byron Leftwich.
[/quote]

If he's their FORMER quarterback, why does Pittsburg need to give them anything?

[quote name='MrDingleDangle' date='20 April 2010 - 04:34 PM' timestamp='1271799248' post='879495']
just got sent this on twitter Filed to ESPN Pittsburgh just traded a seventh-round pick for former Buccaneers QB Byron Leftwich.
[/quote]

[b][url="http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter"][color="#0a0501"]Adam_Schefter[/color][/url][/b] [url=""] [/url] With Byron Leftwich, Pittsburgh now has more insurance at QB and the Buccaneeers have 12 draft picks, tied with Pats for most in NFL. [url="http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/12538712530"]
[/url][url="http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/12538712530"][/url][url="http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/12538712530"]less than 20 seconds ago[/url] via web

[b][url="http://twitter.com/Jay_Glazer"][color="#0a0501"]Jay_Glazer[/color][/url][/b] [url=""] [/url] Steelers traded for leftwich out of concern for decision they believe will be harsh and come down tomorrow [url="http://myloc.me/6eedm"][color="#0a0501"]http://myloc.me/6eedm[/color][/url]
[url="http://twitter.com/Jay_Glazer/status/12541983719"]half a minute ago[/url] via [url="http://ubertwitter.com/"]UberTwitter[/url]

[quote name='jmckbengal' date='20 April 2010 - 07:19 PM' timestamp='1271805553' post='879599']
Mark my word, 2 games only
[/quote]

If it were only 2 games I think they would have gone with Dennis Dixon, who I think offers a lot more than Leftwich at this point.

[quote name='claptonrocks' date='20 April 2010 - 04:52 PM' timestamp='1271807535' post='879626']
and why is that? care to elaborate on your prediction?
[/quote]

He's cynical because Goodell has the Rooney family jewels firmly affixed to his chin? :mellow:

The Rooney's discussed Ben's punishment with Goodell.If they traded for Leftwich,it makes one wonder if they've been told the punishment will be harsher than what people have been discussing.

Hmmm....6 to 8 games maybe?

Archived