Who do you want at 35?

i have no idea how the bengals grade each player but i think its a classic mistake by teams to take a guy for need over best available.

None of the QBs available were ever graded as highly as Bowers.

I just think its seen year in and year out that teams reach way too far to take a guy for need instead of taking the best available.

When your a team with only 1 or 2 must need positions you can afford to reach a little.

When ur team with tons of needs just take the best available player that makes sense.

Or trade down but accept that the bengals dont do that. which is a good thing since they would get raped by everyone
else.

Id have no problem seeing the bengals taking a QB if they traded down for him (which they wont). But to pass on a guy as highly touted as bowers for a guy that a reach is very dangerous.

whatever value you can get best at OL, DB, LB...

you arent going to get any gem's at QB...i mean shit they are talking about top 10 QB picks who have trouble throwing accurately IN THE POCKET...

you arent doing yourself any favors drafting a stop gap QB....or project QB... with no line help, it will be a disaster, fix the line and roll with the dreaded "go to battle with what youve got" and hope your real QB shows up..

glad we passed on fairleys ass.. he is likely the next haynesworth.. in every way shape and form...

Bowers
Dalton
Mallet

4 Weeks ago there was no doubt Bowers was a top 2 pick. The injury concern is legit, but I think the risk is worth it.

But they know better than me the likely hood that CP is coming back, so if the pick is a QB I'll vote for the smarter guy.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1304048900' post='987768']
I will take one of the QB's. Bowers scares me with the knee. Bone on bone is not good all.
[/quote]

every team in the 1st round passed on him. not on talent, on the condition of the knee. those medical reports have to be pretty damning for that to happen, i'd think. it doesn't look like he'll ever be a full time DE. maybe someone can milk a career out for him as a situational pass rusher. it's a sad day for that young man.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1304049877' post='987796']
I think you have to at least consider it.
[/quote]
I agree. He is a pretty good in-line blocker. Gets up the field extremely well and stretches the field very well. Plus he could play a slot receiver in a pinch. Doubtful it will happen since we spent a 1st on it last year and got AJ this year. But it would certainly woo our QB a little bit more and if your going to use an extra person on the line as an eligible receiver, why not someone who can block and catch.

I'm partial because he's a big Bengals fan and wanted Mardy for the same reason last year. The pats showed last year, you can use two different tight ends successfully.

Everyone on ESPN keeps going on about how the Bengals will be happy that Dalton is still available, and they speak as if they expect them to take him. I'm not sure who I want, but it should be a QB and it should be either Dalton or Mallett. I'm not buying the Kolb hype and Palmer is gone and ain't comin' back.

I can see Dalton having a career that falls somewhere between slightly-below-average and slightly-above-average. Mallett could be a beast or a bust. Dalton is the safe pick, but Mallett could do great things. He could also be out of the league in five years.

Hell, I don't know who I want them to take. Maybe Buffalo will pick one or the other and make the decision for us.

Archived