Zimmer's physical style suits CB Clements

[url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/15585158"][b]3 minutes ago[/b][/url] - by Paul Dehner Jr. - [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/15585158"][b]Zimmer's physical style suits CB Clements[/b][/url]
CB [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/player/235204/nate-clements"]Nate Clements[/url] on playing for defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer: "I think (his aggressive defensive style) is right up my alley. As a player, I am going to be a physical corner. I am not affaid to come up and bump."

[url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/15585159"][b]4 minutes ago[/b][/url] - by Paul Dehner Jr. - [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/15585159"][b]Clements showed worth vs. Browns[/b][/url]
After his first regular season game playing under defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, CB [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/player/235204/nate-clements"]Nate Clements[/url] reaffirmed his belief that this defense fits him well. Clements had four tackles and a pass breakup in a win against Cleveland where his strength as a physical, bump-and-run corner helped aggressive blitz calls put the Browns away.

[quote name='fluhartz' timestamp='1316119333' post='1031503']
I am really glad they got Nate since JJ moved on..... That being said.. it's a downgrade IMO....
Over all the defense is much better though.....
[/quote]

Not sure of the direction, but he's something we can work with. You can't always keep everyone.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1316120537' post='1031508']

Not sure of the direction, but he's something we can work with. You can't always keep everyone.
[/quote]

agreed and I know we can't keep everyone.... JJ chose to move on..... I said I am glad we got Nate......

I was just saying he isn't a better option than JJ... Some on here are saying that he is....

[quote name='fluhartz' timestamp='1316121417' post='1031520']

agreed and I know we can't keep everyone.... JJ chose to move on..... I said I am glad we got Nate......

I was just saying he isn't a better option than JJ... Some on here are saying that he is....
[/quote]

Well in the big picture - it is three fourths JJ and one fourth the reserve, unless he avoids his injury bug.

[quote name='Harley' timestamp='1316120858' post='1031512']
JJoe was a stud and could cover a ton of ground. I'm glad we did get Clements but let's not pretend JJoe was less than he was.
[/quote]

And let's not pretend he was more than he was - like pretending he was a pro bowl player

[quote name='Harley' timestamp='1316120858' post='1031512']
JJoe was a stud and could cover a ton of ground. I'm glad we did get Clements but let's not pretend JJoe was less than he was.
[/quote]

Yeah he looked real good in that game against the Saints last yr...playing 8 yrds off his man on the 2 yrd line and then giving up the winning TD.

He was solid. He wasn't great.

The fact that he was injury prone didn't really do a whole lot for me either.

[quote name='bengalsfan850' timestamp='1316132108' post='1031559']
in my opinion it was a minor mistake to let jjoe go, but nate will be fine as he's got a couple years left in the tank, the bengals should seriously consider taking a CB in the 1st three rounds next year cause even if nate has 2 or 3 good years left we gon't have much behind him and hall
[/quote]

Just the one we have on PUP, and the current CB3, Jennings. and Ghee might dodge the injury bug.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1316132521' post='1031565']

Just the one we have on PUP, and the current CB3, Jennings. and Ghee might dodge the injury bug.
[/quote]

i still think they should grab one next year, we havent' seen jennings play in stripes yet, and ghee hasn't shown anything tho as u point out in all fairness he's been injured more often then not but that itself raises concern

[quote name='bengalsfan850' timestamp='1316133406' post='1031569']

i still think they should grab one next year, we havent' seen jennings play in stripes yet, and ghee hasn't shown anything tho as u point out in all fairness he's been injured more often then not but that itself raises concern
[/quote]

I'm not opposed to grabbing a high round CB next year, but I don't think it will be a first rounder. Hall's locked up, Clements is back at least for 1 more year (and would probably enjoy finishing his career in ohio), Trent is signed through next year, and Jennings and Pacman won't be hard to resign as long as they want to be here (which I think Pacman certainly does).

It certainly could be since (IMO) there aren't any other glaring first round needs, but I don't think it will be.

[quote name='spicoli-2' timestamp='1316130882' post='1031555']

Yeah he looked real good in that game against the Saints last yr...playing 8 yrds off his man on the 2 yrd line and then giving up the winning TD.

He was solid. He wasn't great.

The fact that he was injury prone didn't really do a whole lot for me either.
[/quote]

formations and alignments are zimmer's job, not the player's.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' timestamp='1316193028' post='1031741']
Nothing about having Clements is better than having Joseph.
[/quote]

Clements plays just about every game, Joseph played about 75 percent of his games. I'll take a little less athleticism to know it's going to be out there all the time.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' timestamp='1316193028' post='1031741']
Nothing about having Clements is better than having Joseph.
[/quote]

He gets the job done. I like him.

joseph wasn't coming back. He used us as leverage to get his deal with Houston. He's chasing the ring and you can't fault a guy for that. Lets face it, ...they have WAY better odds of winning their division. Even before Peyton was declared out for the season.

We were an unknown, ...no telling what we can or can't do this season.

Archived