Wow... did I just hear that correctly?

Jimmy Johnson said "Green Bay lost to the Cincinnati Bengals, one of the best teams in the league."

I haven't been drinking (yet), but did I really just hear that?

Great gut check by the team... and I don't give a damn about the yards rushing that the Pack had, our defense (especially Newman) deserve the game ball. Dalton CAN lead us back against the better teams in the league, and our defense gives us a chance against ANYONE.

Jimmy Johnson said "Green Bay lost to the Cincinnati Bengals, one of the best teams in the league."

Great gut check by the team... and I don't give a damn about the yards rushing that the Pack had, our defense (especially Newman) deserve the game ball. Dalton CAN lead us back against the better teams in the league, and our defense gives us a chance against ANYONE.

Agreed. Even with the running yards, our D played balls to the wall! Great fucking comeback!

I've noticed we've been getting much praise week in and week out.  I can't remember who but someone on the ESPN group cited what he observed on Hard Knocks as a reason for believing.  I truly think that the exposure to the way the coaching staff works with the young core has strengthened the faith in this team. They aren't soft--they never give up.  They even got a pass for losing the game in Chicago, whereas in the past that would have been enough for the bloom to come off the rose.

After last week's win against a fading but historical rival, and now a magnificent win against one of the premiere teams in the league, I expect there to be more converts.  The team has to back it up, but I think the days of failing to show up for big games are over.

I've noticed we've been getting much praise week in and week out.  I can't remember who but someone on the ESPN group cited what he observed on Hard Knocks as a reason for believing.  I truly think that the exposure to the way the coaching staff works with the young core has strengthened the faith in this team. They aren't soft--they never give up.  They even got a pass for losing the game in Chicago, whereas in the past that would have been enough for the bloom to come off the rose.

After last week's win against a fading but historical rival, and now a magnificent win against one of the premiere teams in the league, I expect there to be more converts.  The team has to back it up, but I think the days of failing to show up for big games are over.

There have been some big wins during the Lewis era.  Most of them have been within the division, though.  With only a couple exceptions (undefeated KC and Denver on Monday Night come to mind), the Bengals have generally blown it.  This is the type of win that SHOULD take the confidence in the Bengals locker room to a whole new level.

Strahan just posited whether it was a "season defining win".

yeah, i had a similar feeling that i expressed in the game day thread. it just hit me that way. tremendous, tremendous effort by these guys to not hang their head and find a way, some way, to come out of this tough game against a top level opponent and get a win.

i couldn't be any more proud of these guys!

IN 2006 we beat the steelers much like this in week 3 and that was supposed to be a season defining win...I just hope the team keeps it's focus and doesn't fuck up.

There were also some other factors that impacted that team that had nothing to do with focus. I won't mention them due to the jinx factor.

This has been such an enjoyable Sunday.

- Bengals win in comeback fashion.
- Reds beat the butt-Pirates
- Carson throws 2 picks in a loss.
- Steelers getting beat 17-0.

This just quite lovely. I'm glowing as if I were with child.

I was hoping Houston would beat the Ravens so we'd be one game up but looks like Balt whooped them without Rice.  WTF happened there? I also don't like to see a Cleveland win, but it was against the Vikings...

There were also some other factors that impacted that team that had nothing to do with focus. I won't mention them due to the jinx factor.

The biggest factor is that even during the good years 'back then', the defense had to produce turnovers to have a good day.  This defense beats the hell out of their opponents. As a complete team, this might not be THE best Bengals squad ever, but I have NEVER seen them play defense like this - particularly against the run.  The offense has enough explosive playmakers that the Bengals are going to blow out some teams.  In fact, I'll be surprised if they don't win 3 or 4 games before the bye by 3 touchdowns.  The only real concern I have is with the running game.  When guys wear down and the weather gets bad, I'm not sure the Bengals have the power running game to put close games away.  

Archived