The Dirty Hit on Huber

It's 10 hours later and I am still irate over it.

It happened in the middle of the field. It was completely unnecessary for him to get blocked in that manner. It was clearly helmet to helmet. Setting aside the fact that it should have been flagged (god knows what the fuck Hochuli's entire fucking crew was looking at to not flag it), it is the pure dirtiness of the play that pisses me off. Fuck Tomlin and his fucking thug players for that shit, eternally. Fuck the Bengals for going into that game and allowing themselves to get bullied by those fucks for 85% of that game. Fuck Marvin and the Bengals coaches for not having the team ready to meet the Steelers knowing that Pittsburgh would be ready to play like that given that their season is essentially over.

Fuck the NFL if it doesn't levy a massive fine for that hit. How ironic it is the same injury that probably derailed Rivers' career, with the same kind of hit, one that led to this very rule, and Hochuli and his band of incompetent or corrupt refs didn't flag it. 

So pissed.*

*Not saying that correctly flagging that would have changed the outcome of the game. The team was clearly flat and unprepared for the physicality of the game from the jump, but that does't excuse the Steelers for that dirty play or Hochuli for allowing it. 

What I thought was hilarious... after the commercial break they piece together 3 separate blocks during that punt return and Collinsworth (whom I typically enjoy listening to as he provides good information normally) says this is just old school Pittsburgh against the old Bengals and Pittsburgh is just beating up on the Bengals.

While I agree our team let them bully us (while our guys just bitched wanting a flag) 2 of the 3 plays were clear penalties... only one that was clean were the blocks on Ghee.  Huber's was blatant as hell and 57 will see the $16,000 variety fine.  And, don't remember who it was but dude got flattened in the back...

Regardless... I didn't feel good about that game for the last couple weeks and felt even worse yesterday leading up to it.  Especially after the #2 seed up for grabs - just felt like it was prime choke job spot.  #2 seed there, primetime, ag Pitt who have nothing but spoiler to play for... our punter can't handle a punt that has to travel 12 yards due to wind but Pitt's kicker can send a fg from 43 and send it right down broadway.  Just wasn't our night.

Garvin should have been flagged for hit on Huber

Posted by Mike Florio on December 16, 2013, 12:23 AM EST

garvin.jpg?w=227AP

If Kevin Huber weren’t the Bengals punter, the helmet-to-chin hit applied to him by Steelers linebacker Terence Garvin may have been legal.  Since Huber is a punter, it doesn’t matter.

Punters and kickers at all times fall within the definition of defenseless players.  This means that they can’t be struck by an opponent with a helmet or in the head or neck area.

In this specific case, Garvin hit Huber with a helmet in the head, breaking Huber’s jaw.  A flag should have been thrown.

Don’t be shocked if the league admits the mistake during the week.  Even if an express admission isn’t made, the fine that inevitably will be imposed on Garvin will do all the talking.

What I thought was hilarious... after the commercial break they piece together 3 separate blocks during that punt return and Collinsworth (whom I typically enjoy listening to as he provides good information normally) says this is just old school Pittsburgh against the old Bengals and Pittsburgh is just beating up on the Bengals.

While I agree our team let them bully us (while our guys just bitched wanting a flag) 2 of the 3 plays were clear penalties... only one that was clean were the blocks on Ghee.  Huber's was blatant as hell and 57 will see the $16,000 variety fine.  And, don't remember who it was but dude got flattened in the back...

Regardless... I didn't feel good about that game for the last couple weeks and felt even worse yesterday leading up to it.  Especially after the #2 seed up for grabs - just felt like it was prime choke job spot.  #2 seed there, primetime, ag Pitt who have nothing but spoiler to play for... our punter can't handle a punt that has to travel 12 yards due to wind but Pitt's kicker can send a fg from 43 and send it right down broadway.  Just wasn't our night.

That sums it up nicely. I like how Chrissy had to pile on after the taunting penalty saying "well it's the Bengals". Fuck that and fuck that guy. And I usually think he does a good job.

Absolutely.  Watching that replay, my commentary was "That's a penalty.....and, that's a penalty."

Just awful.

I cannot stand that we continue to allow the Steelers especially, to make us look like the David Shula Bengals every time we play them.

Hawkins.

That sums it up nicely. I like how Chrissy had to pile on after the taunting penalty saying "well it's the Bengals". Fuck that and fuck that guy. And I usually think he does a good job.

I think he wants to always be able to say that the Bengals have never done shit without him.  It certainly appears that he's not a fan of the team and that's puzzling. It goes beyond his duty to be a neutral observer.  He seems to have gotten his panties in a twist over something at some point over the years.  I wish I could meet him so I could come out and ask him in person.

Hawkins.

yup. That highlight package after the commercial break from NBC looked to me like a we-are-gonna-get-this-team-back-for-the-Triplette-call montage, basically. Hochuli's crew swallowed their whistles so completely they were partially digested by the time Brown crossed the endzone and Huber lay twitching on the field like something from NHL 94.

The 2013 Steelers = cheap shots and rectal exams.

Fuck them forever.  Just when I finally stop hating them they always bring me back in... 

This is a job for Black Jesus.  I am waiting for your always insightful summation.  Where you at BJ?  I need you to make me feel better about last night...

It's 10 hours later and I am still irate over it.

x1000

I usually don't bitch about bad calls but my god.  I found myself screaming at the TV repeatedly and even my wife was questioning most of the calls.  I threw out a mock cheer when Pitt got their first flag for a hold late in the game.  Absolute BS how that many refs "missed" those calls.  Yet there was no question about Peerman's half-fair-catch gesture.  bring that Antonio Brown punt return back and it's a whole new ballgame....

I hope the players are as pissed as us fans and take it out on Minnesota and Baltimore...

I have no issue with that type of hit if the offensive player has the ball in his hands as the major impact can have the benefirt of causing a fumble or incompletion.  But a standard two hand push was all that was needed in that scenario.  That hit was dirty and a case of an insecure human being needing to pump up his poor ego, by giving it to the weakest player on the field. 

I know its unsportsmanlike to react to the opposing teams antics but where is the defense of Huber from our side of the ball?  I think a confrontation with the hitting player was warranted, even if it draws a fine or penalty. 

I have no issue with that type of hit if the offensive player has the ball in his hands as the major impact can have the benefirt of causing a fumble or incompletion.  But a standard two hand push was all that was needed in that scenario.  That hit was dirty and a case of an insecure human being needing to pump up his poor ego, by giving it to the weakest player on the field. 

I know its unsportsmanlike to react to the opposing teams antics but where is the defense of Huber from our side of the ball?  I think a confrontation with the hitting player was warranted, even if it draws a fine or penalty. 

A couple of games ago, Marvin was wired for sound.  And he specifically yelled at Vontaze telling him YOU DON'T RETALIATE!

So basically Marvin thinks it's OK for the Bengals to be raped by the other team, but they can't defend themselves...

A couple of games ago, Marvin was wired for sound.  And he specifically yelled at Vontaze telling him YOU DON'T RETALIATE!

So basically Marvin thinks it's OK for the Bengals to be raped by the other team, but they can't defend themselves...

how many penalties has Burfict induced this season because the other team retaliated?  The second guy almost always gets caught.  

They didn't need to go out and cheap shot a steeler.  They don't need to be like the steelers.

All they needed to do was go out and play better and more physical in the trenches.  They failed to do that.

cheap head hunting 

Yeah, good call per you.  I saw and thought that, too.

How many tackles were made with the Squeels going for the player's head

from behind like he was trying for an old fashion wrestling head lock.

That simply HAD to be taught and coached.

The Squeels played like they had nothing to lose because they didn't.

They were not playing so much to win the football game as intimidate and

injure the Bengals players.

When does the 2014 schedule come out?

I want Revenge.  I want Blood!

...roid rage?

I haven't watched the 2nd half yet and a couple parts of the first half so I didn't see that. What the fuck does "Well, it's the Bengals." mean?  Announcers should be fined for saying horse shit like that. Fucking stealer cock sucker.

I haven't watched the 2nd half yet and a couple parts of the first half so I didn't see that. What the fuck does "Well, it's the Bengals." mean?  Announcers should be fined for saying horse shit like that. Fucking stealer cock sucker.

He said it in a real condescending same ol' Bengals tone which was really disapointing after he stuck up for Mike Brown in the article posted here yesterday.

Mealy mouthed 2 faced ass bag.

And his fumble in the 1st super bowl cost us dearly.

Archived