The Dirty Hit on Huber

Garvin should have been flagged for hit on Huber

Posted by Mike Florio on December 16, 2013, 12:23 AM EST

garvin.jpg?w=227AP

If Kevin Huber weren’t the Bengals punter, the helmet-to-chin hit applied to him by Steelers linebacker Terence Garvin may have been legal.  Since Huber is a punter, it doesn’t matter.

Punters and kickers at all times fall within the definition of defenseless players.  This means that they can’t be struck by an opponent with a helmet or in the head or neck area.

In this specific case, Garvin hit Huber with a helmet in the head, breaking Huber’s jaw.  A flag should have been thrown.

Don’t be shocked if the league admits the mistake during the week.  Even if an express admission isn’t made, the fine that inevitably will be imposed on Garvin will do all the talking.

The league doesn't care,because if they did ed Hochulis would have been fired years ago for all the other team he has screwed over.but yet and still this man is able to find work in the nfl.

He said it in a real condescending same ol' Bengals tone which was really disapointing after he stuck up for Mike Brown in the article posted here yesterday.

Mealy mouthed 2 faced ass bag.

And his fumble in the 1st super bowl cost us dearly.

honestly, he sounded like a frustrated Bengals fan. 

Heck, not throwing the flag on what was a TD is a gamechanging play. The Steelers would have the ball near midfield instead of in the endzone.

They also got the dropped punt snap play wrong too. Huber entered the endzone of his own will trying to avoid the defender. His forward progress gets moved back if its voluntary as opposed to being driven back by tacklers. They seemed to mark him at the most forward point he controlled the ball which isn't the rule. That's 12 points given to the Steelers, more than the margin in the final score. Maybe the Steelers would have scored anyway after the punt and free kick but who knows?

Are you serious? 

He sounded like he wanted to have a big gay orgy with the whole stealer team.

I'm talking specifically about the "It's the Bengals" comment.  3 guys had just missed tackles to give the steelers a first down and effectively end the game.  I'm sure a lot of fans were thinking the same thing at that moment.

I'm talking specifically about the "It's the Bengals" comment.  3 guys had just missed tackles to give the steelers a first down and effectively end the game.  I'm sure a lot of fans were thinking the same thing at that moment.

ok.. I'll give you that one. 

I was referring to the rest of the game when he was slobbering all over them. 

...just how many of our players had the flu and has it run its course yet?

We don't need anymore of that virus this season.

I hope we gave the rest of the team flu shots.

Maybe he said it twice, but I specifically remember he added it after Reggie Nelson got flagged for taunting, and Michaels questioned how a team down by 20 would get flagged for taunting. Collinsworth then chimed in with his smarmy "It's the Bengals." Collinsworth was already pissing me off ("If you just take away all the big plays against the Steelers, their defense has been great!"), but that shit was infuriating. He never misses a chance to cheap shot the Bengals.

Maybe he said it twice, but I specifically remember he added it after Reggie Nelson got flagged for taunting, and Michaels questioned how a team down by 20 would get flagged for taunting. Collinsworth then chimed in with his smarmy "It's the Bengals." Collinsworth was already pissing me off ("If you just take away all the big plays against the Steelers, their defense has been great!"), but that shit was infuriating. He never misses a chance to cheap shot the Bengals.

yea you're right, he did say it after the nelson play. 

how many penalties has Burfict induced this season because the other team retaliated?  The second guy almost always gets caught.  

They didn't need to go out and cheap shot a steeler.  They don't need to be like the steelers.

All they needed to do was go out and play better and more physical in the trenches.  They failed to do that.

I'm not saying to go blind side a steeler. But have a few leaders on that field go out and defend their punter.  I am not advocating violence.

honestly, he sounded like a frustrated Bengals fan. 

As I said... I typically really like his insight on the Sunday night game.  But, to me, when he does Bengals he almost goes out of his way to make sure he doesn't come off as biased or have a lean toward Cincy so it almost comes off anti-Bengal.  As for last night's "old school Pittsburgh and old school Bengals"...

Ummm... Cris... you were an old school Bengal.  Are you saying you were Pittsburgh's bitch back in the day?  Because that is what your comment implied.

Any way you look at it though... we essentially gave up 14 (drive starting at the 1 and punt return TD) directly due to special teams and gave them a drive start at our 46 for a 3rd TD when Nugent had to punt from our own 10.  Once they had to drive from beyond their 50 they had 3 fgs...

The "it's the Bengals" comment came after the Reggie Nelson taunting flag. Al said something like how do you taunt when you're down 20 and CC said it's the Bengals. Then both started laughing

I'm not saying to go blind side a steeler. But have a few leaders on that field go out and defend their punter.  I am not advocating violence.

The odds are the Stoolers will lose against the Packers this week. ...the flu takes 1-2 days to kick in.

As I said... I typically really like his insight on the Sunday night game.  But, to me, when he does Bengals he almost goes out of his way to make sure he doesn't come off as biased or have a lean toward Cincy so it almost comes off anti-Bengal.  As for last night's "old school Pittsburgh and old school Bengals"...

Ummm... Cris... you were an old school Bengal.  Are you saying you were Pittsburgh's bitch back in the day?  Because that is what your comment implied.

Oh... and don't get me started on the TD throw to Antonio Brown where the flag for ineligible man downfield was picked up.  There was a damn penalty.  Go look at the replay and watch their left guard, #68, easily is 5 yards downfield and then runs back toward the line of scrimmage.  Doesn't matter though - once you've gone beyond 3 yards you're "downfield".  Can't believe they picked that up.  I would think that should have been reviewable as it was a scoring play as well.

Any way you look at it though... we essentially gave up 14 (drive starting at the 1 and punt return TD) directly due to special teams and gave them a drive start at our 46 for a 3rd TD when Nugent had to punt from our own 10.  Once they had to drive from beyond their 50 they had 3 fgs...

I do think CC, as well as a lot of announcers, tend to go too far out of their way not to sound biased.

Ravens lose tonight, beat NE next week, we hold serve in our house and we're still sitting in the #2 seed...

And the inbreds from Pittsburgh can stroke each other watching us with a bye and divisional round home game...

honestly at this point I'd rather have the patriots beat the ravens and the Bengals clinch the division next week rather than go into week 17 with a chance to either be the #2 seed or not in the playoffs at all, which could happen.

My favorite was, "In their last meeting the Steelers only had 44 yards rushing which was a direct result of losing Pouncey for the year."

Yea there was no team lined up across the line from them or anything there Cris.

honestly at this point I'd rather have the patriots beat the ravens and the Bengals clinch the division next week rather than go into week 17 with a chance to either be the #2 seed or not in the playoffs at all, which could happen.

me too.. I would like to see the rats and the stealers out of the playoffs

Lions beat the Ravens tonight. We beat the Vikings to clinch the division, the Ravens beat NE, then we beat the Ravens to get the 2 seed and knock the Ravens out of the playoffs.
All not only doable but likely. Ravens are tough at home and have only won 1 on the road.

Wonder if this is career threatening? If it is, this guy should get a huge fine and suspension.

Chris Mortensen@mortreport2m

Bengals punter Kevin Huber not only suffered broken jaw but also a cracked vertebrae in his neck on block by Steelers' Gavin. Headed to IR.

Archived