With the 164th Pick in the 2014 NFL Draft the Bengals Select AJ McCarron, QB Alabama!!

Oh somebody else had to come in for backup. Nice quick response.

You're having a public conversation on an internet forum - that's kind of how this works.  If you want to have a private conversation you should maybe send a telegram.

I was actually referring to Daltons lack of playoff success but apparently you guys are cool with mediocrity.

You mean winning the division and making the playoffs every season? Yeah, pretty ok with that brand of "mediocrity",

I was actually referring to Daltons lack of playoff success but apparently you guys are cool with mediocrity.

I wish he played better in the playoffs too. I wish the whole team played better in the playoffs. I wish the coaches coached better in the playoffs.

You just can't throw away the success he's had in the regular season and say he will never be good in the playoffs. Especially for a flippin 5th round pick.

My biggest complaint about Andy is that he's too nice a guy, I don't think he has the mental make up to go for the kill, Marvin got on him about it 2 years ago (along with Ray) if McCaron can spend a year learning and getting some strength to him, he may have that make up that imo Andy doesn't, assuming Andy prices himself out, and if not we aren't put behind the 8 ball. McCaron gives us something to negotiate against with Andy.

I wish he played better in the playoffs too. I wish the whole team played better in the playoffs. I wish the coaches coached better in the playoffs.

You just can't throw away the success he's had in the regular season and say he will never be good in the playoffs. Especially for a flippin 5th round pick.

I'm not saying friggen McCarron should start tomorrow. But the damned Dalton apologists are hammering him. For simply daring to get picked. And honestly I don't care what round someone gets picked in as long as they don't shit games away like I've seen Dalton do.

My biggest complaint about Andy is that he's too nice a guy, I don't think he has the mental make up to go for the kill, Marvin got on him about it 2 years ago (along with Ray) if McCaron can spend a year learning and getting some strength to him, he may have that make up that imo Andy doesn't, assuming Andy prices himself out, and if not we aren't put behind the 8 ball. McCaron gives us something to negotiate against with Andy.

I imagine the conversation between Dalton's agent and Katie going something like this:

Katie: If you don't take less we'll just go with McCarron

Agent: LOL k

I imagine the conversation between Dalton's agent and Katie going something like this:

Katie: If you don't take less we'll just go with McCarron

Agent: LOL k

Sounds about right.

"Waiter, this spaghetti is too expensive.  I'm just going to have whatever's inside that box over there."

Sure, maybe it's a dry-aged Wagyu ribeye.  It's probably not, though.

I'm not saying friggen McCarron should start tomorrow. But the damned Dalton apologists are hammering him. For simply daring to get picked. And honestly I don't care what round someone gets picked in as long as they don't shit games away like I've seen Dalton do.

Not hammering McCarron. He is what he is. Dalton light. Until he proves otherwise. I don't mind the pick. I think he'll be a good backup in the NFL. If he proves me wrong, cool. But Dalton is clearly the QB of the future. They've said it time and time again. A 5th round pick isn't going to change this.

Ken Anderson worked with McCarron and loves the pick, if that means anything to anyone.

Yeah, he thought AJ would go in 2 or 3.

Funny how our fans are not only deeply divided on the starter, but also the drafted backup.

Not hammering McCarron. He is what he is. Dalton light. Until he proves otherwise. I don't mind the pick. I think he'll be a good backup in the NFL. If he proves me wrong, cool. But Dalton is clearly the QB of the future. They've said it time and time again. A 5th round pick isn't going to change this.

I guess I just don't want dismiss him because he was picked in whatever round. Mayock said he's a first rounder that slid because apparently he's a dick. So whatever doesn't matter whoever us playing behind center I'll still cheer the same.

I guess I just don't want dismiss him because he was picked in whatever round. Mayock said he's a first rounder that slid because apparently he's a dick. So whatever doesn't matter whoever us playing behind I'll still cheer the same.

Unless it's dalton apparently.

Exactly.  If they were uncertain on Dalton in the slightest, they would have picked a QB earlier.  As a proud Dalton Defender, I will simply say that Bridgewater was on the board in 1 as was Carr, Garrapolo and everyone else was available in two, and Everyone else but Garrapolo was available in Three.  They picked a QB in friggin' 5.  Just like all of the Dalton Defenders predicted.

I guess I just don't want dismiss him because he was picked in whatever round. Mayock said he's a first rounder that slid because apparently he's a dick.

Honestly, I have to imagine the majority of 20-something star college football players are not necessarily the sort you'd want to have over for a BBQ..  I'm sure there are exceptions, but considering an obviously entitled shithead like Manziel went in the first round, you have to wonder just how colossal of a dickwad this McCarron guy must be for it to make him drop 2-3 rounds or more in the draft.  That's really saying something.

FWIW I don't know the guy and have no strong opinion about him one way or the other.  He's a Bengal now, so y'know.. Great.

The idea that this has much bearing on Dalton's contract negotiation is laughable, however.

I like this pick.  We didn't have to take a QB with our first four picks which is something I definitely expected.  He's won a lot of ball games and a couple of big ones.  Sure, he's had a dynasty built around him, but he's coming onto a team with some pretty good offensive weapons.  I think over time he could develop into a decent QB.  Good frame and I have to imagine probably a pretty competitive cat.

A few people seemed to hint he slid in the draft because he's a dick his teammates didn't particularly like...

It's harder to be an arrogant asshole when you're 3rd on the depth chart. If his attitude is a problem, he'll be unemployed by the end of the summer.

We have to wait until Dalton is 0 - 6 in the playoffs for these Dalton lovers to get it.  :35:

You may now all hit the "Vote post down" arrow.  :363:

@Legoland Welcome to the Go-Bengals hated club. You can pull a seat up right next to me. Speaking the truth around here gets you in the club. 

Archived