With the 164th Pick in the 2014 NFL Draft the Bengals Select AJ McCarron, QB Alabama!!

I truly believe this guy can win in the playoffs for us. This dude is going to make it real hard for the bengals to bench. I hope the best man wins the job.

I do too. I have had his games shoved into my face every week (by the TV) so I have watched quite a bit of him, and there is something about him. Can't quite put my finger on it. It's not quite the "it" factor but it's pretty dang close. I think at this point Dalton is light years ahead of hi but I would love to see AJ get a lot of snaps in the pre-season.

this guy ain't Namath.

True, in the sense that McCarron holds the school records for wins, passing yards, passing TD's, and comp % ... while Namath holds nothing.

Final Record

McCarron: 36-4

Namath:  29-4

Natl Championships as starter 

McCarron: 2

Namath: 1

Passing TD's

McCarron: 77

Namath: 25

True, in the sense that McCarron holds the school records for wins, passing yards, passing TD's, and comp % ... while Namath holds nothing.

Final Record
McCarron: 36-4
Namath:  29-4

Natl Championships as starter 
McCarron: 2

Passing TD's
McCarron: 77
Namath: 25

Also:

Wanted to kiss Suzy Kolber
AJ: 0

Pronounces "play" like "pull-ay"
AJ: 0

AJ wins on both counts!

You got me, BJ..what was I thinking?

I will now believe AJ McCarron will be the face of an entire league, guarantee national TV contracts, help effectuate a merger, and win a landmark Super Bowl.

Thanks for bringing me to my senses.

I will now believe AJ McCarron will be the face of an entire league, guarantee national TV contracts, help effectuate a merger, and win a landmark Super Bowl.

I can't wait for all of this to become true. Only 2 years wait, brotha. That time is gonna pass fly by :)

The player you're describing is AJ McManziel.

We didn't get that guy.

That makes me even more dubious of him.  Why didn't we hear about playing hurt before the draft?  That would have helped him, presumably.  We only hear about it after he goes 4.5 rounds after he tells the world he is going to go.  Stinks of some of the brattiness that's dogging him right now...

That makes me even more dubious of him.  Why didn't we hear about playing hurt before the draft?  That would have helped him, presumably.  We only hear about it after he goes 4.5 rounds after he tells the world he is going to go.  Stinks of some of the brattiness that's dogging him right now...

Sounds like a Roethlisberger move. Any sign of struggle? Make sure everyone knows how tough you are.

Bottomline:  if all the people that constantly claim "watch the games"  over his 3 year career were truly that confident in Andy Dalton then they wouldn't sound so defensive about a 5th round qb, lol.

As for Dalton, he has no problems if he takes care of the issues he's displayed as a young QB.   

Bottomline:  if all the people that constantly claim "watch the games"  over his 3 year career were truly that confident in Andy Dalton then they wouldn't sound so defensive about a 5th round qb, lol.

As for Dalton, he has no problems if he takes care of the issues he's displayed as a young QB.   

My problem with the pick is that we took a QB at all.

My problem with the pick is that we took a QB at all.

Why? The Bengals have never and will never pay someone more than they think he is worth. The market wont set the price for Dalton from the Bengals perspective, the Bengals will set it, if he thinks he's worth more they will let him go find out, they've done it with numerous players. If he does do that and finds work elsewhere do you really want to be stuck with a rookie starting here again or do you want someone who at least has been here and knows the system, even if we do end up drafting a guy to replace Dalton next year, because they dont view AJ as the guy to do that long term.

Even if AJ never starts a game here this is a good move to cover your ass if it gets exposed.

Why? The Bengals have never and will never pay someone more than they think he is worth. The market wont set the price for Dalton from the Bengals perspective, the Bengals will set it, if he thinks he's worth more they will let him go find out, they've done it with numerous players. If he does do that and finds work elsewhere do you really want to be stuck with a rookie starting here again or do you want someone who at least has been here and knows the system, even if we do end up drafting a guy to replace Dalton next year, because they dont view AJ as the guy to do that long term.

Even if AJ never starts a game here this is a good move to cover your ass if it gets exposed.

But we've already done that, with Jason Campbell.  Ass = covered.  If we wanted a QB to threaten Dalton or that could have been a quality starter, we needed to pull the trigger in round 2 at the latest.  Alternatively, we can take a guy in the first next year, or (better yet) sign a decent vet FA that another impatient team gives up on.  But my #2 backup a fifth round rookie?  No thanks.  Give me a 5+ year journeyman vet all day, and I'll save the draft pick for an OT or some other position we could develop into possible playing time.

But we've already done that, with Jason Campbell.  Ass = covered.  If we wanted a QB to threaten Dalton or that could have been a quality starter, we needed to pull the trigger in round 2 at the latest.  Alternatively, we can take a guy in the first next year, or (better yet) sign a decent vet FA that another impatient team gives up on.  But my #2 backup a fifth round rookie?  No thanks.  Give me a 5+ year journeyman vet all day, and I'll save the draft pick for an OT or some other position we could develop into possible playing time.

I might agree with you if Jason Campbell had signed on for more than a year. Also we drafted a 5th rounder that was graded out as a 2nd rounder, that's good value.

I might agree with you if Jason Campbell had signed on for more than a year. Also we drafted a 5th rounder that was graded out as a 2nd rounder, that's good value.

Not by scouts and Nfl teams he wasn't graded as a 2nd round player

An average at the very best 32 year old QB isn't really covering your bases, its a worst case scenario contingency plan.

Archived